Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

VK Navajo???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:48 AM
dwaynenancy
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am blessed with 2 Cherokee kits. One of them is of one of a special run of 200 numbered kits. I found them on eBay. I plan on building one of them, reducing the dihedral(sp) and installing retracts. My best friend(Sammy Angelo) from Dallas always flew one of these from reeds to proportional. I want to honor him with the build.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:05 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by dwaynenancy
I am blessed with 2 Cherokee kits. One of them is of one of a special run of 200 numbered kits. I found them on eBay. I plan on building one of them, reducing the dihedral(sp) and installing retracts. My best friend(Sammy Angelo) from Dallas always flew one of these from reeds to proportional. I want to honor him with the build.
Sounds like a great idea Dewayne, any chance you'll do a building thread on RCU?
Old 04-28-2016, 12:06 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I flew another guy's Cherokee about a dozen years ago for a couple of flights. I would not change a thing, including the excessive dihedral in the wing. It is a great flying sport model for a design that is roughly 50 years old. It tracked nicely through both inside and outside loops, but is never going to be mistaken for a 3D or pattern airplane. Put a 12-6 prop on a .60 and enjoy a excellent vintage design.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Michaelj2k

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Would you know who is cutting the short kit the larger Cherokee? All I can find is the Cherokee Babe.
Lazer Works will cut a kit for you if you send him a paper copy of the plans. You can download them from Outerzone.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:41 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HighPlains
I flew another guy's Cherokee about a dozen years ago for a couple of flights. I would not change a thing, including the excessive dihedral in the wing. It is a great flying sport model for a design that is roughly 50 years old. It tracked nicely through both inside and outside loops, but is never going to be mistaken for a 3D or pattern airplane. Put a 12-6 prop on a .60 and enjoy a excellent vintage design.
+1, they were great old planes back in their time. If I was going to build one though, I'd probably simplify and modernize the construction methods while maintaining the outline. One of the best things about the plane were the very thick airfoil and abundant dihedral.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:48 AM
DRCRAIG
My Feedback: (31)

"laser-works.com" has short kits for both Cherokees. Look under the "Misc" heading.
The Babe is listed as "Cherokee Babe", and the larger one is under "VK Cherokee".
These kits are nicely done - I have bought several kits.
Good luck.
Craig
Old 05-07-2016, 07:55 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by DRCRAIG
"laser-works.com" has short kits for both Cherokees. Look under the "Misc" heading.
The Babe is listed as "Cherokee Babe", and the larger one is under "VK Cherokee".
These kits are nicely done - I have bought several kits.
Good luck.
Craig
Found it and the price is reasonable.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:58 PM
logair

The Challenger was a great airplane. My flying buddy each bought one back in the sixties. We each learned to fly full house proportional ( as it was referred to in those days). Power was a Veco 45, radio PCS. We both wore those planes out. As I remember the kit was well designed and went together fine. Great memories. Richard
Old 12-20-2016, 06:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

I can't help but wonder what some of these kits would look like if the designers and producers would have access to low cost CAD and laser cutting we have today? I suspect the airplanes would have been more scale and even better to build.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:33 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Perhaps, but radios were not very small, light, or reliable in the 60's. For many years the debate was is this a sport or a hobby. For the most part, the hobby aspect is nearly gone now.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:44 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by HighPlains
Perhaps, but radios were not very small, light, or reliable in the 60's. For many years the debate was is this a sport or a hobby. For the most part, the hobby aspect is nearly gone now.

True, I still remember seeing a KPS-10 servo next to one of the KPS-9s I used in my first R/C set, I couldn't believe how the had miniaturized them down. Now lay something like a Futaba 3114 next to a KPS-9 that would be a real mind blower! I wonder how the torque ratings compare?