Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Pilot kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:55 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pilot kits were very nice! I really liked the size! Here is my Cessna 152. From 1984. OS .25fsr for power. I added flaps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PILOT CESSNA- 52-20.jpg
Views:	6073
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	2063380   Click image for larger version

Name:	1984 Pilot Cessna 152 2.jpg
Views:	6014
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	2063381   Click image for larger version

Name:	1984 Pilot Cessna 152 3.jpg
Views:	5918
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	2063382   Click image for larger version

Name:	1984 Pilot Cessna 152 5.jpg
Views:	5895
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	2063383  
Old 01-29-2015, 02:23 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

large scale pilot christen eagle. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemId=1014384
Old 01-29-2015, 03:30 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
I I owened a !/3 scale byron pitts but always wanted the Cristen Eagle . There is a real one near me at my local airport and always fun to watch it fly. joe
Old 02-26-2015, 07:57 AM
littlera

I just started building my 20 size Aeronca Champ I have had for about 10 years. Die cutting is perfect - parts just fell out. In the past, I have built the 20 size PT-19 (it is a bit heavy!), about 4 years ago; built Piper Tomahawk (1983) and a 40 size Tiger Moth for a friend (about 1984.); QB10L in early 80's. Also had ARF Christen Eagle (EZ) in mid 80's. Eagle wanted to roll to one side on landing, but flew straight. Almost full aileron to land! Never figured out what was wrong - plane appeared to be straight. It spooked me enough that I sold it.

Pilot kits remain my favorites. Their quality has rarely if ever been duplicated. Too bad the factory burned. One wonders if they could have thrived in the ARF era, and what would they have evolved into?
Old 02-28-2015, 07:51 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved this thread, just binge-read thru.

I had the smallest of them all, the Baby.

As I got back into the hobby/sport/obsession less than a year ago, and memories started flooding back, i went on the hunt for this plane that I built in early high school.
I didn't have the money for RC back then, or the connections to learn.
I can remember I was hooked on Hobby Shack and used to read thru all the mailers and catalogs that used to come. I don't know what we did without the internet.
For me, I didn't have that connection, as I mentioned, but recognized something good when I saw it.
I bought a Tee Dee .051 and one of those red tank mounts - still have it.
I just read thru the 1980 Hobby Shack catalog (on HipPocket) and the Cox 051 was $16.77 on 40% off sale - wow.

It was a delight when I came across the plans on outerzone a few months ago for what plane that was I built way back when.
Which turned out to be the Baby.
One of the helping points was that after a while, I remembered along the way the Japanese writing on the plans, and that helped narrow the task down.

Anyway, I think I covered it with silkspan and painted up a starburst scheme on the wing, kind of stripes on the fuselage, blue and white.

It kind of sat for a while til I just rigged it for Control Line one afternoon.

Went over to the fields near my house where we used to shoot off rockets and ride motorcycles (although I came from a household that severely looked down on anything motorcycles, "too dangerous").

My buddy was with me who had the motorcycle but he did not have any real model airplane experience. I remember flying it off the ground and going almost immediately into a wing over.

I can remember my buddy totally reacting like it was out of control and going to crash.

Pulled it out of its dive nicely at about eye level.

It flew really well.

Anyway, I was pleased to be reunited with that airplane vicariously thru outerzone plans. I have no recollection of taking the motor off that plane, but it had very low run time and I will be "soaking it up" with an an as-yet unselected 1/2A plane - why not another Baby?

I do however, remember drooling over all those Pilot kits in the Hobby Shack mailers - especially the Christen Eagle.
That color scheme was just so snazzy.
From reading here in this thread, it is interesting that something especially good - Pilot kits - rose to the top of my preference, even with my limited actual knowledge of different manufacturers.
Pilot kits = real standout.

Now, to inspect that Christen Eagle plan on outerzone...

Cheers,
Poughkeepsie Pete

Edited:
PS - The search on outerzone now produces 55 OK Model PILOT plans...

Last edited by BrightGarden; 02-28-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:09 PM
thalis69

I believe that many fellow modelers would love to hear the comments for the flying qualities of Pilot's kits.
Scale dail,your Cessna looks just perfect.A few words about the model's flights would be helpfull for anyone that wishes to build this beautifull plane.
Also littlera,the Pilot kits you have constructed are unique!Can you share with us a few of your thoughts and experiences?
Baby is a very goof flyer Pete(BrightGarden).You may find a couple of videos on YouTube.
AA5BY,I have read a couple of comments that resembles with what you said about Das Box Fly 20W.This little bipe is a real performer.I am very curious about the progress,if any,about upscaling it.
OK Models co still operates,producing mainly ARFs.It must be mentioned that even before its destruction due to the well known fire,the company was offering many wonderful ARFs.
Doug(W.E.Fan) once stated in this thread that"Pilot may have produced just too many of them..." and he was right about that statement.
From the old magazines I read now,I collect photos from many Pilot ARFs that I plan to show here-I hope within 2015!.
I wonder, lately,whether Takamatsu family still operates OK Models co.
Have a nice weekend.
Socrates
Old 03-08-2015, 05:29 AM
AA5BY

Socrates,

Thanks for your ongoing effort with the Pilot thread.

I've not started the up scaled build of the Das Box Fly, but am collecting the necessities of the build. I'd thought about starting it following immediately after my last build but the long time president of our local flying club passed away and I got the nod to take the helm, and have been somewhat busy with those affairs. Now spring is close at hand with spring yard chores and following grand kids baseball play and the onset of our best flying season so I've put the start of the build on hold. It will be my next major build however, but may be next fall before putting it on the boards for a winter project.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:30 PM
littlera

Thalis,

I can offer some comments on the planes I have built and flown:

QB10L

This little plane is very straightforward to build and fly. It has a narrow fuse and needs small servos - easier to com by than they were 30 years ago when I built it. Unlike some Pilot planes, this one is not full of plywood, and is very normal in weight and wing loading. It flew well, and would be considered normal in every respect. It builds very quickly - you could easily build one from plans I think. It flew very well with an OS 10 FSR as I remember. The servos were small ones I build from ACE kits.

20 size PT-19

I built this plane about 5 years ago and still have it. I have not flown it in a long time due to a temper mental Enya 46 4 stroke engine that has idle problems. It drives me crazy. The plane is too heavy with the fuse mostly plywood. You could use the fuse as a baseball bat - it is that over designed. Anyone building one should substitute a lot of the ply with balsa. Having said that, even with pretty high wing loading it flies pretty well. Keep speed up on landing. It was fun to build - excellent parts fit.

40 size tiger moth

I framed this up for a friend, who then covered and painted it. He then thought sailplanes and electrics were the way to go, and sold the plane without ever flying it. Never saw it fly. I was plenty aggravated by that. If he did not want it he should have given it to me! It built well - again good parts fit. Reasonable weight/wing loading. It was equipped with a ST 46.

20 size Piper Tomahawk

This was perhaps my favorite Pilot kit. It was fun to build, and was not overly heavy like some Pilot kits. Wing loading was completely manageable. The canopy was molded from clear plastic - mask off and paint the part that is not window. Looked real good. I flew it with a K&B 3.5 engine with a Davis diesel head. It ran great. It was my only diesel, as I did not like the smell of ether from the fuel can and the plane itself when stored in my basement. The human nose can smell minute traces (parts per billion) of ether. Wife did NOT like this. While this plane handled normally in every respect (it was pretty aerobatic, too) it exhibited one very odd characteristic that I had not seen in a model before or since. It exhibited Dutch roll all the time. You learn to live with it, and other than looking a bit odd was not a problem. I have been told that the real Tomahawk (as well as Beech Skipper, another T-tail trainer) also has this tendency, so you might say it flew very scale-like! Built in 1983. Only sold two years ago.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:24 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice synopses, littlera. You inspire me to write about the Lake Buccaneer.

I built the Buccaneer in the middle 1980's. Parts fit was very good, but it came out a bit heavy. The subject selection, plans presentation, and parts fit of Pilot kits were excellent. But I never did care much for Pilot kits due to weight. I never built another.

The Buccaneer looked great. I covered it in red & white Monokote, just like the box art. Flying on wheels was satisfactory after a bit of fiddling with engine thrust angles. Unless the thrust angles were just right, the pitch and directional trim changed significantly with power changes. The only truly unsatisfactory flight characteristic was the change in directional stability when power was reduced to idle. I tried to keep some power on during landing approach, but of course it was necessary to pull the power to idle on short final. At this point the directional stability was so weak that adverse yaw due to aileron input was horrendous. Any little aileron input would cause a large heading change in the opposite direction. I never did manage to hit the runway on landing. If I had had one of today's modern radios I could have dialed in a bit of rudder mix and probably solved the problem.

I had incorporated plug-in landing gear, so it was relatively simple to remove the gear for water flying. All that was necessary was to remember to put vinyl tape over the small holes in the bottom of the wing and fuselage. Water flying characteristics were excellent. Takeoff was easy, with no spray into the propellor. Landing was equally easy. The model looked terrific planing on the water during takeoff. The terrible adverse yaw in landplane configuration was largely absent with the wheels removed. I attribute the improvement in directional stability to removal of the nosewheel. I have always wanted to talk to a full scale Buccaneer pilot about whether directional stability changed much between gear-up and gear-down.

Dick
Old 03-08-2015, 04:36 PM
littlera

I never really built a Pilot Lake Buccaneer but I did carve the fuselage of one for a guy once. Never did see the thing completed so don't know what happened with it.

I noticed on eBay recently that the Pilot Lake is one of the most sought after and pricey Pilot kits out there. Some recently have gone over $250. Snap one up if you happen to find one cheap anywhere. You can at least make money on it if you don't build it!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:42 PM
thalis69

AA5BY,thank you for your kind words.
I will follow your build when you will start it.I am very interested in Das Box Fly 20W as I am in bipes in general.
Littlera,your presentation is very helpfull.The characteristics you write about Tomahawk are true.
I can understand your irritation about Tger Moth!We also missed a good report about its flying qualities...
Socrates
Old 03-11-2015, 05:57 PM
littlera

By the way, the plans for the Das Box Fly 20W are available on the Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Plan Gallery free. You must register, again free. You print out and get them blown up to whatever size you want.

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?image_id=3861
Old 03-11-2015, 06:00 PM
littlera

Lots of Pilot plans are available in this site, along with thousands of others......
Old 03-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"MISTAKE" This is not a Pilot Kit.

I have a Global kit sitting in the closet that I will probably never build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CUTLASS-10 pic.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	2083936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cutlass-10.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	2083937  

Last edited by Dan Vincent; 05-08-2015 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Incorrect info.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:39 PM
littlera

I'm confused, Dan. The photo attached is a Global kit. That is not a Pilot kit by O.K. Models of Japan.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:30 AM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, you're right. It's not a Pilot Kit.

I'll be 76 in July, must be getting senile.

Last edited by Dan Vincent; 05-08-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

I had Das Box Fly 20L back in the late 1970's. It was my first float plane to. I believe the wing span was 55". If anyone still has the model or the actual plans on hand could you tell me the wing chord, including ailerons? I had my eye on Miss Bikini posted in another thread but figured I'd scale it up and use the same wing area as my favorite Das Box Fly.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:11 AM
AA5BY

The wings are 44.5 inches at the widest part of the flared tips and the chord is 7 inches.

I've had the plans enlarged by 100% for a 89" build.

Last edited by AA5BY; 03-27-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:58 AM
Lake Flyer

Thanks for the information, but I think yours is the Biplane. Mine was the low wing. I know it was bigger than 44". The plan at Hippocket says 52" and I tried to scale the chord off my computer screen using the wheel as a known size. and got 11.5" which I know is wrong
Old 03-27-2015, 05:33 AM
littlera

This is a pretty easy one. From the Hip Pocket published plan, the wing span is noted to be 1300 mm, which is 51.18 inches. Scaling the wing panel shows that the chord (including the aileron) is precisely 8.24 inches.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Lake Flyer

Thanks littlera, That's exactly what I needed. I'd love to have another Box Fly one day. Perhaps once I retire. Learning CAD will be my first retirement project.
Dave
Old 04-07-2015, 06:40 PM
aeronca52

Anybody out there on the Information Superhighway happen to have or know where I could find the plans to the Jimmy? It was a great sailplane, my dad had a speed 400 in his and 25 minute flights were not unusual. It could thermal off a bar-b-que.

Any help is appreciated,
Jim
Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 PM
jaguarsrule

Please can anyone help me with hand drawn / traced templates for the Wing Ribs for the Pilot Spitfire MKII. Either drawn from the ribs themselves or the leftover scrap balsa and plywood usually sitting around in the bottom of the box. Unfortunately the parts sheets don't have the wing ribs on them.

cheers Bill

Last edited by jaguarsrule; 04-29-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:59 AM
littlera

Originally Posted by jaguarsrule
Please can anyone help me with hand drawn / traced templates for the Wing Ribs for the Pilot Spitfire MKII. Either drawn from the ribs themselves or the leftover scrap balsa and plywood usually sitting around in the bottom of the box. Unfortunately the parts sheets don't have the wing ribs on them.

cheers Bill
Jaguarsrule,

Go here:

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?image_id=5587

The guy with the last comment has a kit, but no plans. You have plans, but no kit. Contact him, have him trace the wing ribs, then send him a copy of plans. Solves problems for both of you.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:01 AM
jaguarsrule

Originally Posted by littlera
Jaguarsrule,

Go here:

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?image_id=5587

The guy with the last comment has a kit, but no plans. You have plans, but no kit. Contact him, have him trace the wing ribs, then send him a copy of plans. Solves problems for both of you.
Hi
Thanks for your help but I've already tried that. The guy only made the one comment last October then he probably realised there was Spitfire plans uploaded there and never had a reason to come back. Besides, it was a part built model he had so there would have been a good chance it was too late to create templates of the wing ribs. Anyway thanks again.
cheers Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.