Well Frank, you just had /have bad luck. Many others flew the Space Control and later Orbitrols quite successfully, and I have one that still works great here in my shop. Too bad you did not call me when you were having those problems, as I have a guaranteed permanent fix for radios that act up.......and that is to smash them with a an 8 pound sledge and toss them in the trash. This guarantees that particular radio will never give you another problem, period!!!!
We once got in a 4 channel AM Futaba Attack system at Futaba, it was chopped to pieces and a note with a drawing of battle ships, aircraft carriers, and a Kamikaze plane was included that said "Remember Pearl Harbor!" The servos had been literally chopped in half with a hatchet, along with the batteries, Tx and Rx, it was destroyed. We sent the customer a new radio.
The first Aitronics radios, the XL series, back in 1980, had some real issues. Turns out the president of Sanwa made a deal with one of his buddies to buy wire for a really low cost. Turns out the copper strands were recycled form old wire and not made from continuous virgin copper. it would work for a while, but once flexed, the strands would come apart internally and you lost the connection, your plane crashed! This caused a huge problem for Sanwa, and it took several years for them to recover and in the meantime Airtronics became known as Air-tricks, it was a fiasco on a huge level.
At Futaba, they had a bad microprocessor program in the 1024 receivers, it crashed a bunch of really nice planes as the receiver would just lock up and quit responding. I was tasked with finding the failure mode and isolated it to the receiver, and the microprocessor controlled decoder board. I went to the stock shelfs to get a replacement decoder bioard and found there were two versions; Rev A and Rev B. The Rev B boards were sealed in a large bag with an update documentation package. I tried one of the Rev B boards and it cured the problem. Turns out that the lead Japanese tech, Tony Sendo, had a notification of the update that was buried in a stack of paperwork on his desk, and it had been there for over a year! Futaba Japan knew of the problem, and had sent us the boards and tech updates, but Sendo just threw the rev B update it on his pile and never looked at it, so in the mean time, planes crashed. Steve Helms had taken several problematic customer owned 1024 PCM radios to Sendo to have him try and figure out why they kept shutting off and trashing planes, but Tony , not being a flyer, found nothing wrong and told Steve they had tested OK. Steve, in frustration had me look at the radio, because he knew as a flyer, I would give it the once over. Steve showed me a video of it crashing a beautiful 1/4 scale Albatross DVa, so I knew the customer had a real problem.
I found the problem by running the radio all day until it failed/locked up, which took it about 5 hours to manifest.