Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone built and flown this plane ???

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Has Anyone built and flown this plane ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:24 PM
deanz406
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has Anyone built and flown this plane ???

Hi-- After opening a bunch of boxes in my basement, looking for my wood supply, I cam across this old biplane called a StarHawk, from a Co. called Thorpe. It's sort of an old ARF, from back in the early 80's. Pretty much requires the same general type of assy as the newest stuff. The wings are sheeted foam cores, and the fuselage is a completely sheeted unit, and the whole plane is painted. Looks like a nice paint job, very smooth and shiny. This kit calls for a 2 stroke .60 size motor. Is there anyone who built and flew this model, and how did it fly?? Do u have any recommendations as far as motor requirements, and setup ?? Any other comments are welcome- good, or bad- I just want to know-- Thanks - Dean

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4407.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1972460   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4408.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1972461   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4409.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1972462  
Old 02-25-2014, 05:42 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you know where to put the CG? Dan.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 PM
wardog5
My Feedback: (1)

Default C/G

Originally Posted by deanz406
Hi-- After opening a bunch of boxes in my basement, looking for my wood supply, I cam across this old biplane called a StarHawk, from a Co. called Thorpe. It's sort of an old ARF, from back in the early 80's. Pretty much requires the same general type of assy as the newest stuff. The wings are sheeted foam cores, and the fuselage is a completely sheeted unit, and the whole plane is painted. Looks like a nice paint job, very smooth and shiny. This kit calls for a 2 stroke .60 size motor. Is there anyone who built and flew this model, and how did it fly?? Do u have any recommendations as far as motor requirements, and setup ?? Any other comments are welcome- good, or bad- I just want to know-- Thanks - Dean

I had the same plane there were no instruction when I bought it . but I put a sato 91 in it thinking that would be good wrong. I crashed landed it . it was very tale heavy and the landing gear weak and once you get the wheat right its to fare back . so I needed to put more wheat up front so reinforced the fuse just in front of the wing and installed a dobro landing gear .witch is stronger and ads wheat and also added 3oz right on the engine mount . and it flow great . especially inverted all most no input inverted if you have any ???? call 267 431 5574
Old 05-09-2016, 07:32 PM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by deanz406

I worked in a hobbyshop in early 90's when this hit the market, not 80's. was made in phillipines. lots of water based filler cote. all balsa and ply. great fliers but filler was soft and will crack. low wing was about 125.00 and bipe was about 140.00. not bad price. fuel also got under paint in filler cracks and melted it! turned it to mush under paint. they were really light. 50 would probably fly it nicely. 60 might be a bit much.
bird