Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Aristo Craft Curtiss Goshawk F-11C-2

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Aristo Craft Curtiss Goshawk F-11C-2

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:22 PM
pkf3
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aristo Craft Curtiss Goshawk F-11C-2

Hi, I just purchased an Aristo Craft Curtiss Goshawk F-11C-2. It is the control line version. I want to convert to RC. I was wondering if anyone had plans and instructions for the RC version they could copy and send. Wondering how different they are from the C/ L version. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:03 AM
pkf3

Willing to pay for copies of the plans and instructions if someone has the RC version
Old 04-21-2014, 02:21 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't it be feasable to build it, and just convert the flight surfaces to RC ? It should be too hard, assuming that you have previous building experience.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:39 AM
pkf3

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Wouldn't it be feasable to build it, and just convert the flight surfaces to RC ? It should be too hard, assuming that you have previous building experience.
Yes it would. I have been thinking about it and I do have experience and a few ideas for the build. I was just hoping someone may have done it and would share their ideas/ experience. I was also curious of the changes from the U-control kit and RC version.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pkf3
Yes it would. I have been thinking about it and I do have experience and a few ideas for the build. I was just hoping someone may have done it and would share their ideas/ experience. I was also curious of the changes from the U-control kit and RC version.
Haven't done the F-11C, but I have built the PT-17 and the Grumman F3F from that same kit series. Both of my builds were from R/C kits. The kit designs reflect 1950's mentality with regard to control surfaces, wing dihedral, wing & tail incidence, etc. For instance, the plans show extreme wing dihedral, rudder (but not aileron) control, and excessive wing incidence. The little instruction booklet advises the builder to lay several 4X8 sheets of plywood in a row for a takeoff surface. There is little in the way of useful information regarding radio or servo installations. Even the engine installation is sort of hokey. So even if you have the R/C plans, you will need to do a lot of improvising.

But I don't mean to say that the kit is a waste of time. The balsa quality is quite good, part fit is excellent, and the planes come out plenty light. You just need to be a somewhat experienced builder to bring the model up to 21st century standards.

And I might add that both the PT-17 and the F3F turned out to be excellent flyers.

Dick
Old 04-24-2014, 06:27 PM
pkf3

Originally Posted by otrcman
Haven't done the F-11C, but I have built the PT-17 and the Grumman F3F from that same kit series. Both of my builds were from R/C kits. The kit designs reflect 1950's mentality with regard to control surfaces, wing dihedral, wing & tail incidence, etc. For instance, the plans show extreme wing dihedral, rudder (but not aileron) control, and excessive wing incidence. The little instruction booklet advises the builder to lay several 4X8 sheets of plywood in a row for a takeoff surface. There is little in the way of useful information regarding radio or servo installations. Even the engine installation is sort of hokey. So even if you have the R/C plans, you will need to do a lot of improvising.

But I don't mean to say that the kit is a waste of time. The balsa quality is quite good, part fit is excellent, and the planes come out plenty light. You just need to be a somewhat experienced builder to bring the model up to 21st century standards.

And I might add that both the PT-17 and the F3F turned out to be excellent flyers.

Dick
Thanks for the input Dick. The kit does look to be of good quality. I don't believe any of the Aristo Craft kits would be a waste of time. I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out with a little time, thought and effort.

Paul