Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Bud Nosen Mr. mulligan

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Bud Nosen Mr. mulligan

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 03:08 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice that you are getting some time on this build Steve.

I not actually working on either of my two builds till later next week, when I can buy afford to buy some glu and maybe a bit of wood.
But I am to stinking stubborn or maybe stupid to not work on something. I have been making rib templates for future builds.

I posted that over in ~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...l#post11864930

Working on some other templates as well. I also dragged out other plans that I want to build also. Those are planes that I have built once or twice already but really, really want another one. The first one or two found there expiration date a very long time ago.

If I ain't keeping myself busy the wife is looking for where I hid my rubber mallet, to deal with me.

Ken

She is not really that mean, BUT I usually try not to cross her either.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:10 AM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya ken. Gotta stay busy. Off to the field I am.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:48 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Ken, stay busy if you don't she'll find something to keep you busy and it won't be as fun!
Old 08-25-2014, 12:31 PM
flyingagin

Hey Mike I am trying to stay busy.
WI work for a bit in the garage, then do some chores before they are pointed out to me. And go back to garage until it is to hot out there.

Finished the templates for John Dear's (Kadet SR) new wing. Intent is a new set of wing halves stretched a foot both sides and low wing. Slotted flaps and barn door ailerons.
So onto two other sets. A set for an ugly stick .60. They are a great beater plane.
And here's is one I bet you have not seen. A Flying Models Touchdown MKll (MK2). I have built 2 of them so far. The first one was either my first or second RC plane in my late teens. Everything had been CL up to then. In the mid 90's I built another and promptly slammed it into a tree. Not going to build the next one quite stock So a MKlll (3) maybe? Should be a bad *ss with todays little four strokes and micro sized radios. The original Heathkit (home made) weighed nearly a pound for four channels.

Ken
Old 09-06-2014, 05:31 AM
stevegauth30

So I got the bench all cleaned off for a fresh start on the Mulligan again. Last I worked on it, I ripped off the rear 5 formers and re-made them. Now, as I start marking out the notches for the stringers, I'm seeing that the front 5 ply formers aren't any better. That's what I get for trying to save a little time and money. Always comes to bite me in the buttoks. Needless to say, there coming off too. I will order some more 1/8 5 ply as I don't have nearly enough to cut them. Mean time, I think I'll frame up the tail feathers.again, one step forward, two back.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:57 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
So I got the bench all cleaned off for a fresh start on the Mulligan again. Last I worked on it, I ripped off the rear 5 formers and re-made them. Now, as I start marking out the notches for the stringers, I'm seeing that the front 5 ply formers aren't any better. That's what I get for trying to save a little time and money. Always comes to bite me in the buttoks. Needless to say, there coming off too. I will order some more 1/8 5 ply as I don't have nearly enough to cut them. Mean time, I think I'll frame up the tail feathers.again, one step forward, two back.

Is it possible to just cut new notches ?

That's what I had to do on this kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m_001.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	709.3 KB
ID:	2029497   Click image for larger version

Name:	m_002.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	651.7 KB
ID:	2029498  
Old 09-06-2014, 06:01 AM
stevegauth30

Nah. With the amount of work it would be, having to add weight too to back up all the notches, which are already too big, ...might as well just re-make them and have them be right. Also, I completely spaced on the lightning holes, so I'll just make more. These are the crappy ones that came with the kit. I was going to cut new ones from the start, but didn't have enough 1/8 ply and tried to get away without ordering more. Should have just done it then.oh well.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:29 AM
stevegauth30

Surprise surprise. Only two of the 13 shaped parts of the stab and elevator are fixable. Not use able, fixable. I think I have enough material to make more but before I go any farther. I'd like to go through the wing plan and check it as well. I don't want to have to place multiple orders for material. Rather get it all in one shot. When I get done building this one I'll still have 80% of the kit. Too bad its all no good.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:51 AM
stevegauth30

In case anyone was wondering if I was going to ACTUALLY get something done on the Mulligan. The only modification to the H stab and elevator is that I doubled the amount of hinges. Bud seems to think that two per side are sufficient. I'll go with four. Still need to sand and shape, but at least SOME sort of progress has been made.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	2029808  
Old 09-07-2014, 05:43 AM
flyingagin

Was this a complete redo?

Ken
Old 09-07-2014, 06:02 AM
stevegauth30

Pretty much, it will be. At least of the bottom half of the fuse. The top half is all stick built, so it's fine. Just all the formers with the notches that were pre cut. A big mess. The only notches that lined up were the center stringer. And not even straight, just somewhat lined up. I could adjust them and make them work, but then I'll have to back them all up with balsa which is not only time consuming, but adds extra weight. I don't mind re-cutting everything to get it nice.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:09 AM
flyingagin

Yep that is the right way considering all of the issues

Ken
Old 09-07-2014, 06:14 AM
stevegauth30

Fingers are crossed that the wing ribs are useable. I haven't looked them over yet. So far, everything else for the wing panels seem to be here and useable. I won't use the bulky blocks to make the tips. I'll laminate my own tips. I'm thinking about installing a complete nav and landing light system. I think it would add a nice touch.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:49 AM
flyingagin

I have seen your abilities. You can do what ever you need to. It's just the pain in the *ss factor.
The nav lights would really add some WOW. Oh yeah it would.

Going over to friends to burn some meat so might not get any work done on my projects. Gee oh darn, heck does that mean I don't get to fix the dish washer today? I can't stop the tears!....................NOT

Ken
Old 09-07-2014, 10:19 AM
stevegauth30

I've installed lights before, nothing to it. Just as long as you plan for it, and build around it. Not so easy as an after thought. Don't eat too much carcass, you won't be able to button your pants. Lol
Old 09-07-2014, 10:23 AM
flyingagin

Ah heck I have several pants I cant button.

And it is pouring outside.

Ken
Old 09-07-2014, 12:09 PM
stevegauth30

In that case, chow down! I just didn't want you to loose your beach body. Lol
Old 09-07-2014, 12:39 PM
stevegauth30

Ken, you seem to be the last man standing. You win! Everyone else must have given up hope of seeing Mr. Mulligan finished. That's ok, long as I have at least one friend left. Lol. To my complete surprise, the wing ribs all seem to be useable, with exception of one that I screwed up. Finally a good surprise. Looks as if everything is here and in descent shape for the wings except the pre shaped LE which I can easily make anyway. The one thing I'm not too sure of is the attachment method to the center section. There's two 3/8 dowels per side acting as anti-rotational pins, and two 10-24 x 3/4 bolts going through the double 1/8 ply root ribs. The struts obviously are fully functional. Should I consider a wing tube of some sort? Or is this sufficient?one modification I will make is to add flaps with barn door hinges. I'm surprised the kit didn't include them. I'm starting to wish I just bought the hostettler plans instead, but I'm committed to this one, so I'll do my best with what I've got.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:17 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A wing tube is nice if a strut were to give way. I like wing tubes, wing tubes are our friend.
And I am still lurking around.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
In that case, chow down! I just didn't want you to loose your beach body. Lol
Is that "beach body" or Beached Whale Body? DOH! (Sorry, it was out there, just couldn't resist!)

By the way, I'm still with ya Steve. You may proceed my good man.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:49 PM
stevegauth30

Good to know some are still here. So, how would one determine the best size and placement of such a wing tube?
Old 09-07-2014, 02:30 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually go half the ribs width in diameter of a tube.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:34 PM
stevegauth30

Ok, sounds good. I'll look into it. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Melchizedek

I'm still here also Steve.

I wish I had put wing tubes in my SW. To late now. Another vote for wing tubes.

The more you build, the more the gallery comments

Kevin
Old 09-07-2014, 05:43 PM
flyingagin

I think it is beach ball body body
Went to the store to get some stuff to take, rainy lightly. Came out of the store and holy cow. I might as well have jumped in a river.
I certainly did eat my share of dead pig.
Checked out his guns and talked about going hunting, watched some ball. When I got back home the power was out. Just now came back on.
I have yet to do a tube, Have done a carbon joiner pivot rods on slope gliders (wingeron) and join bar on thermal glider. I really think a joiner tube would be best Steve, but then I am not the one to be asking.

See we all still here. The others will check in shortly, buddy.

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.