Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Bud Nosen Mr. mulligan

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Bud Nosen Mr. mulligan

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:03 AM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe. I should probably just stick with what we know work instead of re-inventing the round spinny thing.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:06 PM
stevegauth30

Well I didn't get a real lot done today with packing and all, but I did get the tip laminated and made up over 10 feet of servo extension for the wings.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:30 PM
68goat
My Feedback: (40)

Glad to find this thread. I've been trying to get a Nosen Mr. Mulligan kit for quite some time now and finally I found one last Sunday. A family was clearing out a rental storage they had and came across some of their fathers RC stuff. Thrilled to get it! I'll be watching this build closely.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:49 PM
stevegauth30

Glad to have you 68goat. I took the night off from packing and am making some progress. The tip is mostly installed minus the two braces and I'm working on finishing the sheeting. Up next are the two servo bays and hatches. Or maybe the aileron and flap. Or maybe the hard points. Or .....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	2038715  
Old 10-09-2014, 02:17 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is sitting idle. You've caught and passed me !

Nice work !!!
Old 10-09-2014, 02:25 PM
stevegauth30

Still ALOT to do and a long way to go. Anything can happen. Just don't let my fly mine before you fly your Ryan. Or you gotta send it to me. Deal?
Old 10-09-2014, 04:22 PM
stevegauth30

What do you guys think would be adequate for the thickness of the landing gear material? I don't think 1/8 would be enough. I would think at least 3/16. Any thoughts? I went to order the material when I realized I don't know what I want. Lol.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:03 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You are doing good Steve.
It is funny b
Our packing is going real good also.
And then there is the shop area and planes. Some will get left on the curb. No real choice. Gotta lighten the load some.

Looks like we are going back to CA. The good Lord has closed all other avenues but left that one wide open. We both swore we would never set foot in that state again. But s
Will be on the road Sunday the 19th. With a stop at a good friend and brother in Christ from TBOTR the second night. Gives me 2 short legs to test my physical endurance driving. The drive last Saturday to the RM flython was painful enough. And that was only an hour each way. But it was all surface and no cruise control.

Ken
Old 10-11-2014, 04:06 AM
stevegauth30

Nobody has any thoughts on how thick I should get for the aluminium landing gear? I would think at least 3/16 or maybe 1/4. I can't get to the gear on the speedster to measure, but some smaller planes I have with aluminium gear all have 1/8 thick. Then I have a 120 size plane that has 3/16 thick. My gut says to get 1/4 inch thick, but I'm still not sure. I don't want to add extra weight for no reason, but want them to be strong enough to handle my landings on a not so perfect field. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:18 AM
flyingagin

Steve I made no comment because I must confess total ignorance in the matter. Any comment from on it would be worse than total gibberish.
I sure some one will set you straight.
Yep that statement was a double entendre.

Not doing so much posting these days.

Ken
Old 10-11-2014, 05:58 AM
TomCrump

Try this. http://www.abellhobby.com/Articles.asp?ID=252

I'd go 1/4", but ask them for a suggestion.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:04 AM
stevegauth30

Thanks Ken. I'm thinking that 3/16 will be adequate. I'll order a 8 x 48 x 3/16 sheet today, along with a few other needed items from the McMaster. Man, I love that place. Today, in between packing and moving, I'm working on the last aileron and flap. Also finishing up the wing with cap strips. At this point, the only structural item remaining is the struts. I'm getting there. Although this has been a bit of a challenging build, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I may order the cowl and pants today as well from FS. As for power for this beast, I'm leaning toward a twin of some sort. Maybe a VVRC 40 or possibly even going with glow. Maybe an OS 160. Always love those engines and always wanted one. Although, Saito makes some real nice stuff too. Call me old school, but I really enjoy flying glow.

Views:	75
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	2039080   Click image for larger version

Views:	95
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	2039081  
Old 10-11-2014, 06:18 AM
stevegauth30

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Try this. http://www.abellhobby.com/Articles.asp?ID=252

I'd go 1/4", but ask them for a suggestion.
Gee thanks Tom. Lol. I thought I had my mind made up, then you go and post this. Now I don't know again. Lol. I'll go and check out your link now. Thanks
Old 10-11-2014, 06:28 AM
stevegauth30

Hey Tom, have you dealt with these guys before? I will try calling them and speaking with someone about it before I ever place another order online. Seems to be an easy way for someone to rip off guys like us. Happened to me a couple times already. I'm learning though. No ones fault but mine for not doing my homework before giving them my money. If they could make the gear for the same price as the material would be ( I doubt it) then I'll have them make it. Or else I'll just do it myself and save a bunch of dough. For me to make, would be $32 plus ship for the 3/16 and about $40 plus for the 1/4. I've seen dural gear smaller than what I need go for $80-100. Nonsense if ya ask me.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:50 AM
stevegauth30

Just as I was ready to give up on the wing tube, it showed up. Finally. That's no way to do buisness. I will let them know too that I'm really unhappy with there customer service, or lack of. All I wanted was to know that they were actually going to send it and when. Even if they said two months from now, at least say something. 5 or 6 phone calls and the same amount of emails and not one response. Oh well. Least I got it. Now I can work on framing the center section on the fuse and get the wings mounted. As for the LG, I'll give the measurements to the place Tom mentioned above and see what they want to make it. If it's not too much more than I could make it for, then they could have it. I spoke with the guy this morning and he said they could have it in the mail in two weeks or less. Well have to wait and see. At least things are getting done. The finishing stage will soon be starting. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:34 PM
flyingagin

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
At least things are getting done. The finishing stage will soon be starting. I'm looking forward to it.
Well ain't you the dadgum rocket ship now Steve.

Great news about the tube. Guess you are going to get 6 or so planes built before I get 1 done.hahaha It is great you are moving along with this bird. I am enjoying it a bunch.

Ken
Old 10-11-2014, 04:54 PM
stevegauth30

I think my favorite part of every build ( other than a successful maiden) is the first time you put the wings and tail feathers on and see it as an airplane. Well this time was no exception. I'm all smiles from ear to ear. At 108 1/2 inches, it's my biggest yet. I'm really looking forward to finishing and flying her.

Views:	136
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	2039200   Click image for larger version

Views:	136
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	2039201  
Old 10-11-2014, 05:11 PM
TomCrump

Steve, I purchased the landing gear for my Cessna 195 from Abell. There were no difficulties that I can remember.

Name:	m_DSCF2935.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	2039205  
Old 10-11-2014, 05:20 PM
stevegauth30

Thanks Tom. I like that Cessna a lot. Was it a kit? Who's?
Old 10-11-2014, 07:00 PM
flyingagin

Looking at a plane for the 1rst time with all of her parts on is always pretty cool.

Ken

I did all of my mapping and selecting stops. Now for phone calls for reservations. Nothing more than 8 hours of drive time. 1932 miles. 28 hours of driving according to google maps.

I think it is easier to build a darn airplane

Ken
Old 10-12-2014, 03:07 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
Thanks Tom. I like that Cessna a lot. Was it a kit? Who's?
Thanks.

It's a Hostetler design, built from a Precision Cut Kits, kit.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:20 PM
stevegauth30

So I spoke with someone again at Abell Hobbies about the custom landing gear. It will actually be cheaper to have them make it and ship it to me. For me to buy the material will be about $55 , for them to make it , including shipping, $50. And they actually answer the phone when you call. Gear ordered, should be here in two weeks. This week I'll order the cowl and pants as well. I played hookie today and spent the entire day flying. Hey, what can I say? There aren't too many good ones left before I'll be fighting frost bite on the fingers. We don't ALL have summer year round like some folks I know. I flew the poop out of the rearwin today. Getting much more comfortable with it. Now, back to the mulligan.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:52 PM
flyingagin

can't beat a deal like that

Ken
Old 10-13-2014, 05:02 PM
stevegauth30

Nope. And I don't have to figure out how to accurately bend 1/4 inch aluminium. Or cut it, or grind it , or anything. Works for me.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:40 AM
stevegauth30

Work has begun on the center section of the fuse. Not really a whole lot to it. Once the glue is dry, I can then remove the clamps and mount the wings. For real this time. After flying the speedster for a while, I'm realizing how nice it will be being able to open the top center section for radio gear. It's a real PITA to have to reach through a tiny door, under the wing, with the strut in your face, trying to hook up the ailerons and such. Speaking of the speedster, almost lost it today. Came real close. The rudder servo is fried, but must have happened while taxiing out to take off because I had just landed and fueled back up and it was fine. I did notice while taxiing out that it didn't want to turn right that well, but I just figured it was the thick grass. It sometimes does that. Anyway, so I start my take off roll, just like normal, as I advance the throttle, I'm putting in more and more right rudder, and at first it's tracking straight, then it hooked to the left towards the pitts. By this point I have enough speed to lift it and knew that if I aborted I would surely hit the fence if I'm lucke, but probably would have hit the people behind the fence. So I pull the stick back pretty hard to avoid the fence when the rudder all of a sudden comes in at the same time I bang the ailerons to the right to avoid a collision. What a nightmare. But it's not over yet. So I get into a steady climb, out of immediate danger, but it's wagging it's tail like crazy, and now I can't get the nose down. I got full down elevator and it's in high alpha. ***? So still wagging it's tail, I somehow bring it around And get somewhat lined up, but with no rudder, and a 12 to 15 mph direct cross wind and a plane that's flying like its tail heavy, I couldn't see how I could land. But I did. It wasn't actually too bad of a landing, considering. So the verdict, the rudder servo goes left, but no right, and just twitches back and forth. The violent take off, which I actually saw the entire belly and the bottoms of both wings at only 5 feet off the ground, ripped the fuel tank and battery tray loose tossing both batteries to the tail of the plane. I think it's time for some maintenance. There's a couple things I want to change as well. That's probably her last flight of this season. I'm lucky to still have it. Ok, enough story time. Back to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

Views:	117
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	2040274  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.