Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Bud Nosen Mr. mulligan

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Bud Nosen Mr. mulligan

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:56 PM
stevegauth30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, merry Christmass to all who still follow along. A bit more progress was made on the fuse. I built the removeable hatch that covers the landing gear bolts , I cut off the big chunky block that was the bottom tail, built a couple formers, and basically ended up strip planking it. The block got shaved down a bit too far in a couple spots and looked like real crap. It's now much better. Still need to make the fairing for the tail wheel. I'm thinking about making a plug and making it from. Glass or at least fiberglass and balsa. I got most of the front sheeted before I ran out of tite bond. After learning a lesson the hard way, Id rather not use CA to sheet anything. So I'll get more Friday and finish it up. Once the sheeting is finished I'll cut out the hatch. I forgot to get a pic before I sheeted over it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	2057587   Click image for larger version

Views:	146
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	2057588  
Old 12-24-2014, 01:06 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks real fine. Those strings are to fall in love with Steve. Yeah forget about sanding to a level plane when using CA, ain't gonna happen!.
If you are going to make a glass part, ya can use blue, or pink foam, and sand it to shape nicely, then glass it. Ya can remove the foam if you want for a lost foam mold or just leave it, don't weigh didly.

Ken
Old 12-24-2014, 01:11 PM
stevegauth30

Not a bad idea Ken. I'm just not sure REALLY how to go about that. The thing is, the bottom of the tail is so narrow, that doesn't leave a lot of room for the wheel to actually turn inside the fairing. I'm kind of scratching my head on it. I really want it as its a kind of prominent feature of the DGA-6. I can't find the pic I'm looking for but I think you could see it here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	141
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	2057596  
Old 12-24-2014, 01:36 PM
flyingagin

It is a very noticeable feature. I'd go lost foam. Even if it takes you a few tries, to get the fit correct. An hollow glass molding gives you the most room, An will stand up to the abuse it will receive in the spot.
It is way bigger but the lost foam is how I molded the cowl for the plane in my avatar.

Thinner on a crappy paint bush cleans the foam right out.

Ken

Ken
Old 12-24-2014, 01:55 PM
stevegauth30

Thanks ken. I'm thinking about maybe giving CF a try there. Lighter and even stronger. Plus, I like to try new things.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:51 PM
flyingagin

That should work a charm. I have used a good number of times. Strong is an understatement, if used correctly in the right application. This sounds like that.

Ken
Old 12-25-2014, 05:07 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Merry Christmas guys !
Old 12-25-2014, 06:18 AM
stevegauth30

Same to you brother.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:13 PM
stevegauth30

Wil after the christmass feast, the family all passed out on the couch watching a Christmass story. Being that I seen it a hundred times, and could only think of one thing, I snuck downstairs and proceeded to thoroughly enjoy hours of uninterrupted shop time. I managed to hinge all of the control surfaces and get the elevator and rudder linkages made up. Also started on the top radio hatch on the center section of the wing but of course i can't for the life of me find what I did with a whole tube of piano hinges. I don't care to buy more as I have probably 12 or 15 feet of the stuff. Also stopped and got more tite bond and a few other needed items. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 50's with 5 mph breeze. think I'll go burn some fuel. I need to get on the ball and get an engine soon.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:22 PM
flyingagin

Sneaking away from the family! Oh the shame, oh the humanity of it. Oh wait mixing metaphors.
Sounds like what I would've done. Now go punch holes in the ozone layer!

Ken
Oh and a happy new year to ya bub!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 PM
stevegauth30

I'm sure at least a couple of you are wondering what happened. A month with no progress. Well, financially, I've been taking one hit after another. Right now there's none left for the hobby, and to be quite honest, it has taken away a lot of motivation. Usually by this point in a build, I have acquired most if not all of the items to finish. This time didn't go as planned. I just had to replace the transmission in my truck, 6 months out of warranty mind you, and now it's the head gasket in my wife's subaru. Or, buy another car. These are just the two most recent set backs. So, hopefully soon I'll get back on track and order some more supplies.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:57 PM
flyingagin

I certainly understand Steve. Drove that same road myself ya know.
Those kind of hits just take all get up and do fun stuff out of ya.
But I also know you and I know you will get past all of this.
Hang tough my friend, hang tough.

Just to let ya know I did not trust my flying skills, because I was so rusty. I only got maybe 10 minutes of stick in my five years in Texas. So while there I had built a real basic trainer to relearn the skills on and not chance one of my nicer planes.
Well when we got to Modesto and I took it out of storage, I found the wings were badly twisted opposite each other. So I have been building a new wing. Added a pair of plug in (or not) polyhedral tips that add about 40% more wing area. They also have ailerons. Naturally I installed the tip panel aileron servos backward of the main ailerons. Did those over. It is ready for covering. Well after I remove my first covering attempt. What a nasty mess that turned into.

But like I said you just hang tough

When you build we will still be here to marvel at you work or at least tell you we are

Ken
Old 01-23-2015, 03:14 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a hobby, Steve. Life has a habit of getting in the way of enjoying it.

Relax, and return to the build when you are ready.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:27 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Steve, I have been building on a shoestring since I got back into the hobby in 2004. Its just that a hobby, so its last in line and gets the few pennies leftover if any. My big purchase this month was new CA bottle tips and a balsa stick, that was I had in the kitty. Take care of the important stuff and the rest of us will see you when you are able. Worse comes to worse feed your addiction with someone else's building thread.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:10 PM
stevegauth30

Tanks guys. I have tons of little stuff to do in the shop. Stuff that doesn't cost money. I think I may have found an engine for the wife's car . At this point, it'll be cheaper than the head gasket, and much less swearing on my part. I can swap an engine in half the time of a head gasket and all other associated gaskets. Subarus are terrible to work on, in my opinion. But still cheaper than paying a mechanic.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:43 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have been threw that a couple of times Steve with other cars it isn't fun but you save a ton of money.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:04 PM
ReoRadial75

Steve you've done a wonderful job so far, I really hope things turn good for you and you can back to doing what you do so well. I'm getting ready to start this plane this weekend and would love if you might be willing to give some advise along the way.

Good Day!
Old 02-25-2015, 02:30 AM
stevegauth30

ReoRadial, thanks for stopping by. I'd love to help along your journey if I can. I'll be jumping back into mine before too long here. I fell way behind financially and it's been a struggle to crawl out. This build is beyond the point that I need to buy the main components. Like engine, servos, rx,........... I usually try to have as much of that stuff as I can before starting, but just didn't work out that way this time. So, like I said, I'll be getting back to it soon, and would be happy to help you on your journey if I can. Hopefully your kit has some better die crunching than mine did, but being a Nosen I doubt it. So buy plenty of 1/8 ply and a band/scroll saw if you don't already have one. Lol. I ended up re cutting about 90% of the parts.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:28 PM
ReoRadial75

Glad to hear you'll be back on it soon. I've had setbacks before to and it takes the wind out of your sails. Well hopefully the woods not horrible but it's not sounding good. What do you think about putting a radial in this plane?
Old 02-25-2015, 01:28 PM
stevegauth30

It would certainly sound scale. Im not sure about the dimensions of any of the radials, but the front of this guy is in the neighborhood of 12 inches if memory searves me. It would definately be cool though.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:15 PM
ReoRadial75

The one I've been looking at is 10.2 in diameter and 7.9 front to back.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:20 PM
stevegauth30

Room to spare
Old 02-26-2015, 02:38 AM
stevegauth30

Well, I was finally able to order a few parts for the Mr.M. It's been so long since I was able to spare a few that I haven't even thought about working on it in some time. In the mean time, I was working on another project I've had going for a long time. Made some good progress on that. Probably what I'll do is work on both for a little while and see how that goes. I used to always have multiple projects going at once, but was counter productive so we'll see how this turns out. If it's not going so good, I'll throw the corsair back on the shelf till ol Mr. M is done. Tonight, I'll clear off the secondary bench and move the F4-U there and get back on it. There's still more than enough work to keep me going till the brown truck arrives, I just lost motivation when I ran out of $. We'll see what happens, but I'll be back to work on it for sure.( I vowed in the beginning not to be another unfinished Mr.M thread) .
Old 02-26-2015, 07:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have been in the same spot running out of $ thru the course of building a project it isn't fun and does take the wind out of your sails. I'm glad to hear you are getting started again!

Mike
Old 02-26-2015, 08:09 AM
flyingagin

It is good to hear from you Steve. You know I sure know what you are going through. Know how you make your living I know how hard a worker you are. Jeez I could not have done that for a long time. Although I threw groceries overnight at Wally world about 4 years ago. Tons of goods as fast as you could. Just saying I know you will get back in the game.
Me I am still out of the game. But can see an end to what we have been going through.

Will still be here to watch over your shoulder when you re start
Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.