Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Bud Nosen Mr. mulligan

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Bud Nosen Mr. mulligan

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:36 AM
Melchizedek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work with the hatch Steve.
Onward

Kevin
Old 04-04-2015, 03:41 PM
stevegauth30

I have to say, I've ordered a lot of glass parts from FS, and they were always really nice, only requiring only light filling and sanding. Not the case here. This cowl is in seriously rough shape. I guess you gotta take the good with the bad. I'm not going to try for a new one, I'll deal with it. Just a little surprised.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:17 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
I have to say, I've ordered a lot of glass parts from FS, and they were always really nice, only requiring only light filling and sanding. Not the case here. This cowl is in seriously rough shape. I guess you gotta take the good with the bad. I'm not going to try for a new one, I'll deal with it. Just a little surprised.
The mold must be very old and needing some maintenance, as the cowl I bought a couple years back
was in rough shape as well, misaligned seams! What wheel pants did you get? If it is the ones I got,
they are totally wrong for the Mr. Mulligan, too short and tall, totally wrong profile, I ordered the ones
from what was "Stan's Fibertech", they had the correct profile, but don't know if the new people that now
own the company, I think it is now called "Fibertech N More", still mold them.

Bill D.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:54 AM
stevegauth30

H Bill. No, there definately not the correct shape. For one, they should come to much more of a point at the back. I'm not as worried about that as it's no scale bird. Maybe stand way off scale. Thanks for the input.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	2086503   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	2086504  
Old 04-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Bill Diedrich

The last Mr. Mulligan I built, years ago, I used those wheel pants and they didn't look
to bad, as it was a way-way standoff scale, had the extended cowl on it, with a Quadra 35
in it, never got to fly it, sold it, as I was moving back overseas and couldn't afford to take
built airplanes, so they all had to go.

Currently have a slow build on my 3rd Mr. Mulligan, it is from a short kit from Lazer-Works
and was cut from my original Bud Nosen (not AA Indust.) kit that I sent to him, and a redesign
was done to ad a wing tube. Mike Whar did a build here on RCU of this short kit back in 2009
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...ulligan-5.html
starts on post #121

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 04-05-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:31 AM
stevegauth30

Thanks for the link. That's odd. I searched high and low for a Mulligan build thread and never came across that. Yeah, I added a wing tube as well. Cheap insurance. Hopefully mine turns out as nice as yours did. I think I may skin the gear legs next and make the fairings and install the pants. Seems like an ambitious project.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:32 AM
stevegauth30

do you happen to recall the AUW?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Bill Diedrich

do you happen to recall the AUW?
Don't remember exactly what my last Mulligan weighed in at, but I think Mike's was
somewhere around the 30 # mark all up ready to fly, his was covered with white
Monocote if my memory is correct, need to go back and read his build again sometime.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:15 PM
stevegauth30

I notice, just from skimming through the pics, he had a big ol twin in there. Was his the same size as the Nosen? Sorry to bombard you with questions. It's been a little bit difficult finding much info on this kit. Still can't believe all the searches I did, didn't turn up the thread you posted a link to. Well, Easter's officially done at my house, everyone is fat and happy, I just may get a little bit done here. I hope everyone had a good easter.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Bill Diedrich

Moto-X, the guy that started that thread used a RCGF 50 cc twin in his Mr. Mulligan,
Mike used a Sachs 4.2 single cylinder in his. Mine will have a SPE 50cc twin I bought
NIB got a great deal on it a few years back.

If you go to the search here on RCU and type in Mr. Mulligan you will find many threads
on this model..

BTW check out this place for graphics on the Mr. Mulligan:
www.cfcgraphics.com

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 04-05-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:50 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow, all those huge engines. Back in the day when this kit came out, I can remember seeing these planes fly with engines like the Fox 78, the small Quadras and of course the small Zenoah's, especially the G38. I'm not knocking the bigger engines but wow how times have changed.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:35 AM
stevegauth30

Well, I feel a lot better now with the DA 50 on mine. I kind of wish I went with a twin, there's more than enough room inside the cowl. As far as the graphics go, I guess I'm kind of set in my ways. I always use the same guy and don't really have a desire to go anywhere else. Thanks again for the info Bill.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:16 AM
Bill Diedrich

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Wow, all those huge engines. Back in the day when this kit came out, I can remember seeing these planes fly with engines like the Fox 78, the small Quadras and of course the small Zenoah's, especially the G38. I'm not knocking the bigger engines but wow how times have changed.
Yes I have seen up to 62cc engines in these, as I believe back in the 80's a few guys were trying to get a racing class going with the Zenoa G62 in the cowl. First Mr. Mulligan I ever saw fly had a Quadra 35, but I do remember a few photos in magazines with the old Fox 78 but when the kit was first released by Bud Nosen, the largest engine available was a 60 size engine and in one of my conversations with Bud several years ago he still had all of the prototype planes with the engines they were originally designed for. I think I remember him telling me that the first Mr. Mulligan
he built weighed somewhere in the 12-13 # range, pretty light by todays standards.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:23 AM
stevegauth30

jeez, I have a tendency to build a little heavy and all, but 12-13 lbs? That's half. At least. Mines at 18 now. Without fabric and paint. Maybe im just that inexperienced of a builder.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:31 AM
Bill Diedrich

jeez, I have a tendency to build a little heavy and all, but 12-13 lbs? That's half. At least. Mines at 18 now. Without fabric and paint. Maybe im just that inexperienced of a builder.
No Steve it isn't you, you have to remember what these were powered with back in the day when all
that was available to power them with was a 60 size engine. Ain't no way a 60 is going to fly an 18 to
30 pound airplane, so they built very light. Back in the early days of modeling when they were really
just getting into radio control wingspans were up in the 80" plus sized models, a "hand me down" of the
old free flight designs, and they were powered by around 15 to 29 sized engines, and they were nothing
but basically stick built models with a lot of dihedral. Could a quarter scale sized Mr. Mulligan be built to
12-13 pounds, most likely could with super light balsa and thin CA, but it wouldn't be strong enough for the
engines we use today. If you are currently at 18# your ready to fly weight with be somewhere in the 21-23#
range with the 50cc single you have for the plane and it will fly just fine, remember this has a high lift airfoil
on it.

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 04-06-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:58 AM
stevegauth30

yeah I get that, I guess what I should have said is that if they could build them at 12 pounds, we should be able to get it a little less. I tend to over build a lot, but you are right again, a single cylinder gas engine would tear it apart if not over built a little.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:44 AM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

I am going to have to look at my FS cowl for the mulligan that I picked up ( a couple years ago) for my Mulligan kit. I don't remember it beeing bad, I think I ordered the longer one and figured I would just cut it to the length I needed when the time comes. I know I ordered a lot of stuff from there too, and now that FS has quit going to Toledo, seems like last time I dealt whith them they were a litle disgruntled with the ARF sceene. I know that I picked up an RV-4 cowl and there was NO extra material on it to fit it to my model, which I was not hapy with. But like you say, I kind of took the bad with the good, as most things from them have been OK.

Dave
Old 04-06-2015, 07:52 AM
stevegauth30

I also got the long one figuring I would cut it when the time comes.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I've bought parts from FS quite a few times. Sometimes they are excellent and sometimes they are junk and go in the trash in favor of something else. Its quite sad but there are few other good choices these days. I can deal with rough surfaces and pinholes, but the basic shape has to be right and the quality of the fiberglass layup has to be acceptable. Recently, when building a project I look to the ARF world first for fiberglass parts and many times the results are quite rewarding and reasonably priced. Sadly, probably not the case for something like the Mulligan cowl and pants though.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:43 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Diedrich
The mold must be very old and needing some maintenance, as the cowl I bought a couple years back
was in rough shape as well, misaligned seams! What wheel pants did you get? If it is the ones I got,
they are totally wrong for the Mr. Mulligan, too short and tall, totally wrong profile, I ordered the ones
from what was "Stan's Fibertech", they had the correct profile, but don't know if the new people that now
own the company, I think it is now called "Fibertech N More", still mold them.

Bill D.
Bill, what are the dimensions on your Mulligan wheel pants?

Mike
Old 04-06-2015, 12:57 PM
stevegauth30

The cowl isn't really bad enough that I wont use it. Will just require about double the effort. The cowl and pants for my PICA Waco, and the Cowl for my TFGS Corsair are mint. So, one bad one , to me, aint all that bad.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:32 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glass cowls frequently require work. You may remember the glass work on my Vega.

I clean them with acetone and then give them a sanding with 200 grit. A coat of primer brings out the pinholes, etc. I then get out the spot putty and begin the fill, sand, prime, fill, sand, prime routine. Eventually the glass cowl gets whipped into shape.

I'm sure that you'll get your cowl whipped into shape in no time.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:29 PM
Bill Diedrich

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Bill, what are the dimensions on your Mulligan wheel pants?

Mike
OK Mike the dimensions of the wheel pants that I bought from Stan's Fibertech are:
12" L x 4 1/2" H x 2 15/16" W ( really closer to 3")

Couple pics attached for comparison, the white one is from FS.

Bill D.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01342.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	2086918   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01343.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	2086919   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01344.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	2086920  
Old 04-07-2015, 02:24 AM
stevegauth30

I feel like FS just took the "closest in dimensions" pair they had and called em Mr. mulligan pants. I wish I had Stans.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:37 AM
stevegauth30

I was just on the fiber tech n more site and all they have for the nosen Mulligan is the cowl. No pants. They have the pants for the Hostetler Mulligan, that look to be right. Being that the WH is at 26%, they would probably fit pretty good. I'm not really concerned enough to buy them at this point, but who knows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.