Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Bud Nosen Mr. mulligan

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Bud Nosen Mr. mulligan

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:57 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by melchizedek
the only thing worse than having to make a living steve.
Is not making one.

us working stiffs know that all to well

kevin

no kidding!
Old 04-24-2015, 04:47 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth, I hit the Toledo R/C show a couple weeks ago, and saw a Sig Ryan STA kit for $150!!!!. I would have bought it if I didn't already have one NIB in waiting. I thought about just flipping it, or selling it to a friend in need, but I needed every $ of cash I had on me......
Old 04-25-2015, 04:04 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ovationdave
For what its worth, I hit the Toledo R/C show a couple weeks ago, and saw a Sig Ryan STA kit for $150!!!!. I would have bought it if I didn't already have one NIB in waiting. I thought about just flipping it, or selling it to a friend in need, but I needed every $ of cash I had on me......
I have one that I'd probably let go for that price. I'd swap it, if something "interesting" was offered. I also have another STA kit, but it's not in pristine condition.

A few club members will build that one, as an club raffle plane.

Steve, what have you been up to ?
Old 04-25-2015, 05:36 AM
stevegauth30

Nothing that id like to be doing. Pretty much just working. In my line of work im always at least an hour from home, well this job is almost an hour and a half, and were doing five 10's for the time being. So 10 turns into 13 which turns into not much left for free time if you know what i mean. I havent really done much in the shop now for a couple of weeks. I know, i gripe when theres no work, then i gripe when theres work. cant win. Lol. I got some .030 plastic sheets from the LHS to make the windows, but its not big enough for the windshield, so ill need to order some bigger ones. figures. Hopefully ill be able to get a little done this weekend as its too cold and windy to fly.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:28 AM
TomCrump

Griping about work, or the lack there of, is a working man's privilege.

Enjoy the hobby as time allows, my friend.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:29 AM
stevegauth30

still haven't had time to work on the mulligan. I started a new job, making a bit more money, but also working crazy hours. we've been doing 5 10's and probably soon be going to 6 10's. this being the first year in quite a while that I don't have a new plane to maiden in the springtime, I decided to buy an ARF to assemble. I've been eyeballing the Great Planes Waco YMF-5 for a few years now, so I finally went for it. little did I know that this thing takes almost as long as building a normal kit. I'm almost done with the basic assembly, but I think I'll add some scale details to it. flying wires, tail brace, and maybe some Rivets here and there.also, I needed some way to replace my favorite biplane that I put in a couple weeks ago. total loss.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Melchizedek

Congrats on the new Job. More money good. More hours

It is a sign of a builder to not be able to leave the arf unmodified.

Kevin
Old 05-13-2015, 03:52 PM
stevegauth30

Thanks Kevin. I'd be happy to one day be half the builder you are. I'm learning lots from watching you.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:04 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sorry to hear about the bipe you loss Steve, I guess it hit the expiration date. Post a pic of the Waco when you get it done, I'm sure it will be a cut above the normal ARF!

Mike
Old 05-15-2015, 06:51 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Nosen Mulligan has some sort of resistance to being finished ! It always goes that way. My Local friend that was working away to build his has gotten sidetracked as well. He always changes so many things I think he burns himself out sometimes.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:09 AM
stevegauth30

it will eventually be finished and flown. I know that for sure. but I do feel a bit burnt out with building. it's happened to me before, but never last for too long. heck, at least 90% of the work is already done.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:06 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by stevegauth30
it will eventually be finished and flown. I know that for sure. but I do feel a bit burnt out with building. it's happened to me before, but never last for too long. heck, at least 90% of the work is already done.
You definately are not alone.

I've wanted to build a Lockheed Vega for years, yet mine sits. I haven't worked on it in several months.

Building is a hobby, not a job. Our models will be completed at our convenience, and not before.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

Life has a habit of getting in the way, sometimes you just need a little down time.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:17 AM
ovationdave

Don't feel bad, I have had a Ohio R/C Ultimate that is all framed up, both wings, tail feathers, and Fuse, I just have to do the trial hardware install then teardown and cover. Its been that way for (as much as I hate to admit) over 2 years!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P4140106.JPG
Views:	646
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	2096741   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4140107.JPG
Views:	671
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	2096742  
Old 05-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Two years is nothing! Earlier this season, a friend of mine maidened a .90 sized IMAC plane that I gave him in about 2011. But I scratch built the plane from my own plans 33 years ago and all it needed to be complete was to finish the radio installation. We're happy to say it flew quite well and I was very pleased to finally see it in the air. I've had several other planes that aged 10 years or more before their first flight.

I think it is in many builder's nature to stall out on projects before they finally get into the air. The reasons are many but as long as we continue to build and enjoy the hobby, it really doesn't matter. My current favorite stalled project is a D-145 Monocoupe that has been sitting in the bones for over 10 years just because I can't decide on a paint scheme. Frankly I like looking it in the bones.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:59 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Two years is nothing! Earlier this season, a friend of mine maidened a .90 sized IMAC plane that I gave him in about 2011. But I scratch built the plane from my own plans 33 years ago and all it needed to be complete was to finish the radio installation. We're happy to say it flew quite well and I was very pleased to finally see it in the air. I've had several other planes that aged 10 years or more before their first flight.

I think it is in many builder's nature to stall out on projects before they finally get into the air. The reasons are many but as long as we continue to build and enjoy the hobby, it really doesn't matter. My current favorite stalled project is a D-145 Monocoupe that has been sitting in the bones for over 10 years just because I can't decide on a paint scheme. Frankly I like looking it in the bones.

I resemble some of these comments more than I want to admit!
Old 05-20-2015, 01:53 PM
ovationdave

lol. Yeah, actually its been longer than 2 years and I thought about it after that post, but regardless, its been a while. I think my A-D-D is part of my issue, I see a shiny new kit and just have to start it. OH well, it will get done, and your right, its all about doing what we enjoy, and I know I enjoy building!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:34 PM
stevegauth30

some of em are just so dang pretty in the bones you dont even care to cover it. but, eventually we do, for the sake of flying it. That Ohio Ultimate was my first bipe build. Came in a couple lbs. heavier than it should have and STILL flw great. Too bad i pretty much used it to learn to fly. Beat it up pretty quick.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by ovationdave
lol. Yeah, actually its been longer than 2 years and I thought about it after that post, but regardless, its been a while. I think my A-D-D is part of my issue, I see a shiny new kit and just have to start it. OH well, it will get done, and your right, its all about doing what we enjoy, and I know I enjoy building!
Oh yes that A-D-D thing ..... no matter what I'm doing I'd rather be doing something else? Is that the condition? I think all builders suffer from that!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:35 PM
Truckracer

Here are a few photos of my stalled out D-145 Monocoupe project. It was going to be yellow and red but over the last couple of years, I'm thinking a more traditional antique color scheme, maybe cream and maroon would be better. Just can't decide and there are few full scale color schemes for this plane as they just didn't build that many and few remain today. Its back hanging from the ceiling once again and looks good there.

By the way, I always wanted an Ikon NW Mulligan when they were available. Emil's kits were a challenge to build but the finished product was usually good. I always thought of his kits as scratch building from a box of pre-cut parts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1250.JPG
Views:	832
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	2097421   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1237.JPG
Views:	883
Size:	3.81 MB
ID:	2097422   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1247.JPG
Views:	702
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	2097423  

Last edited by Truckracer; 05-20-2015 at 07:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bignasdy (12-17-2021)
Old 05-21-2015, 04:43 AM
FlyerInOKC

Truckracer I see you have a guard cat keeping and eye on it.My attention never wanders as a matter of fact...SQUIRREL!!!... Ah where was I? Oh wait I know, my attention never wanders it jerks moves around all over the place like its spastic or something!
Old 05-21-2015, 07:20 AM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Truckracer I see you have a guard cat keeping and eye on it.My attention never wanders as a matter of fact...SQUIRREL!!!... Ah where was I? Oh wait I know, my attention never wanders it jerks moves around all over the place like its spastic or something!
Flyer, I can identify with your logic!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:28 PM
stevegauth30

Well guys, i must say that i was quite hesitant to post this, given my track record here. I figured with all of my " ok guys, im back and gonna finish it" posts, that ya probably wouldnt believe me anyway. Lol. So, i waited untill i made ACTUAL progress before posting. So, here go's. I made up the rest of the linkages for the wings and finished installing the servos, as well as programmed the radio, and all is working perfectly. I finished finalizing the strut connections and rechecked the incidence and dihedral. Happy with it. I ordered and recieved 15 meters of solartex as well as the material for the wind shield, which wouldnt be stiff enough without an aluminium frame, so glad i was already planning to go that route. Also got the paint from Nelsons. Only one color, kind of nice. The engine has been mounted but still have yet to install the throttle servo. The wings are 99% sanded, and almost ready for covering. I think i will cover and paint the wings before moving on to finishing the fuse. The fuse only needs a couple cap strips on a couple of stringers and some sanding. The biggest hurdle remaining id the windows and some fairings. Finally, some progress. Lately i havent been much into working in the shop. I think i was kind of burnt out with building, but the fire is going again. Time to stoke it up.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:40 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad to see you at it.
All of my stuff had to be moved to storage.

ken
Old 07-28-2015, 02:01 AM
TomCrump

I'm glad that you are making some progress, Steve.

I'm with ya, on the waiting to post thing, too. I've been SLOWLY working on my Vega, but I'm waiting to post until I can show some real progress.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.