Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Snagged a NIB Sig/Berkley Privateer 15.

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Snagged a NIB Sig/Berkley Privateer 15.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 12:05 AM
Grzldvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snagged a NIB Sig/Berkley Privateer 15.

After many years, and I mean many, I finally have time to build this plane. It has been a long time since I have built an airplane. I used to use Ambroids, but it is no longer available and people seemed to be using Sig-Bond. Thoughts?
When I was building I had a nice workbench that was perfectly level and flat. My current house does not have anything like that. Has anyone used any workbench that is portable?
What about thick hard foam as a workbench, I can see some disadvantage to foam but it seems like it might be a nice base to build on?
Looking for any other advice. It will be an R/C Flyer. I have an older OS MAX 15 that I can use, but also looking at possibly going electric.
I do have a garage that I could build a small workbench in but it does get cold, 2000 feet near Yosemite, so building would have to be in late February/early March. But something a bit portable would be better so I can work inside the house
Old 12-07-2023, 08:55 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Any reasonably flat surface that is big enough will do. I built several models on the bar between the kitchen and den at a previous residence. Pretty much any thing that your SO will put up with will do . You probably shouldn't use the dining room table though. My old knees wouldn't put up with it now but I have even built on the floor on a piece of ceiling tile. Lots of folks use cyanoacrylate glues (super glue) these days. Sig bond is good, Titebond wood working glues is popular for those who don't like the fumes from CA.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:54 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Ceiling board works well, but you will need a level surface under it. Often times you can go to your Lowes, or Home Depot and ask if they have a damaged sheet that you can get at a discount.That's how I came by my last sheet about 15 years ago.
Old 12-23-2023, 04:38 AM
Grzldvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It arrived safe and sound and as usual I was blown away by the actual size. when I dug into the box. So I think it is going to take a serious workbench. Funny how you actually read the dimensions and when it arrives I was blown away at it's size. Really excited to get started on it as it just looks to be a very cool kit to build.