Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Dragon Lady ...?

Old 08-06-2014, 05:59 PM
AlphaWhisky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dragon Lady ...?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this query but seems to me to be a good place to start ...

One of our older club members turned up at the flying site this morning with an old Dragon Lady model - and I mean old.... It struck me as a very attractive and practical design. This model was approx 70 " span by the look of it,and it was powered with an old OS .90 engine I`ve certainly heard of the model before but have no real information on it. My friend couldn`t help with information on it. Apparently the completed model was given to him several years.

A quick Google search suggests it was produced as a ModelTech ARF. I don`t know if that was the only source or even if it is still available.

I`d like to consider scratchbuilding one of these. Can anyone advise if a plan is available for this model, or any information on it at all. If needs be, I`ll consider borrowing his model, measure it up and produce my own version.

Thanks,

Alan W
Old 08-07-2014, 04:21 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, the Dragon Lady was offered by HobbyShack and I believe it was from their ModelTech line. Hobby Shack is now Hobby People, and I haven't seen the Dragon Lady available in a long time. I think I advertised mine here, long ago, and there was zero interest.

It is a nice flying plane, and balanced out nicely with a 120 fourstroke on the nose. Way too much power, but that's what throttle's for. Enjoy your scratch build!
Dave Olson
Old 08-13-2014, 08:51 PM
heggen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I, too, have been interested in a Dragon Lady. It is a very attractive airplane and it flies well. I haven't had any luck getting any wreckage thrown my way to get the specs to draw a working plan. The biggest frustration is trying to obtain a cowl, smashed or not, to copy or repair. I did find a Dragon Lady 40 in the box which I would presume is a shrunken version of the larger version. With that I could upsize the measurements and come up with the large version yet without the correct cowl which is different from the smaller version.
Does anyone have parts left over, preferably cowl, landing gear, wing ribs, fuselage parts, etc? It would be fun to rekindle this model to at least a scratch build from plans for those interested.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 PM
AlphaWhisky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Heggen, I`m pleased you`re interested. Would you believe the weather here in Queensland has turned bad and may well prevent flying for the next few days. Because of that my mate, Ken, has not reattended with his Dragon Lady. He doesn`t know it yet, but when it next appears it`s coming home with me for a few days and will get the allover measure up treatment with view to a plan draw-up. I`ve duplicated several models over the years and pleased to say all have looked good and performed well even with a few personal mods - mostly simplified construction methods. First one was a 'KwikFli' about ten years ago and I`m currently nearing completion with my own rendition of the popular and expensive little 'Addiction' Parkflier'

Cowlings are no real drama. I use the method of pulling several layers of nylon stocking over a simple foam plug. I can post or email details and pics if anyone is interested.

Alan W
Old 08-14-2014, 06:43 PM
heggen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ALan, I'm eager to see your drawings of the Dragon Lady 60. Again, the only concern I have of the model is the cowl, not in building/making it, but getting the right shape. My Dragon Lady 40 looks like the 60 version, but the cowl is different. The cowl on the 60 version has definite, classy lines I want to retain. If you have a cowl available, pictures of front, top, side, and back would provide all I need to make the 60 version.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:25 PM
AlphaWhisky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There`s been no further progress with this at this time. Weather forecast is bad with no improvement offered unti early nest week. I do recall Ken`s model does have a cowling fitted so I will photograph that when it all comes together...

Alan W
Old 08-14-2014, 08:41 PM
heggen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks. I appreciate yours efforts but there is no hurry. As you might well relate, I have many projects in the works. So many planes to build and fly; so little time.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:53 PM
AlphaWhisky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I collected the old Dragon Lady today. Hadn`t had a good look at it prior to today. This one sure has been around the traps a time or two. I`m quite impressed with it though - nice moments and good basic design. I`m not if these were produced in different sizes. This one has a wingspan of 65", has an OS 90 fourstroke installed and weighs what I reckon to be a hefty amount at 4.2kg. I`ve taken a bunch of relevant pics and will try to attach some of the (tired) cowling ones here...

Alan W
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon Lady - 5.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	2022730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon Lady - 6.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2022731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon Lady - 7.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	2022732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon Lady - 8.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	2022733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon Lady - 1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2022734  
Old 08-16-2014, 08:29 PM
heggen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the pictures. They will go in the file for future reference to make the cowl..
I have been excited about this airplane for a number of years. I've seen one fly and was impressed with its gentle behavior. Landings were easy and graceful. I am sure there are other airplanes out there that match its performance, but there is something about the appearance that continues to draw me to it. There is a little bit of Golden Era and modern day home-built that attracts to me. I will have one flying some day. It might have to get moved up on the list of planes to build. It is a shame it is no longer in production.
Again, I am looking forward to seeing your drawings. In the meantime, I will take my Dragon Lady 40 and upscale it to 66" and see how it looks. The DL 40 might be the only reference I need to get the big one except for the cowl pictures.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:26 PM
AlphaWhisky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I`d have to agree that this is a very attractive `Golden Era' style model. I got a chance to look at it in more depth as I measured her up yesterday. I guess she has been laser cut as construction seem to be mostly `tab and slot` plywood construction with some foam in the turtledeck and an almost fully sheeted wing, with widely spaced ribs and again with a lot of plywood. Stabiliser and fin seem to be solid hard balsa - all very much contrary to the way I`d approach it as a low production scratchbuild.

As a result I`m more enthusiastic to produce my own plan. I`ll stay with the 66" span per this original but consider that `barndoor` ailerons might be more suitable to my wing construction approach. They shouldn`t look out of place here. I have heard of one of these models still flying down Brisbane way with a Zenoah G23 up front.

Early days yet for that decdision - I`ll start on the plans shortly.

Alan W
Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 PM
heggen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My life just got easier! I ran across and new in the box Dragon Lady 60 and purchased it. The airplane is basically and almost ready to cover (ARC). My Saito 120 has found a new home in the nose of this great airplane. Powering yours with the G23 sounds like a good plan.
Obviously, I won't be needing any drawings that you could provide but I appreciate your willingness to do so. Since the cowl is the most difficult to duplicate I might make a mold to be able to reproduce it in the future if need be. I will also draw plans for future reference.
May I suggest that you do a building thread in the Scratch Building forum of your Dragon Lady so that all can follow along. If you are going to build barn door ailerons, how about making Friese type ailerons. They are a little more work but are very effective.
I look forward to seeing progress on your Dragon Lady 60 and hope to stay in communication.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a Dragon Lady .40 some time back. I think I had an OS .46LA under the cowl. Nice flying planes. I would love to come across another NIB some day.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:04 PM
heggen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LD, I do have a NIB Dragon Lady 40 but it is going to have to stay with me. Though time is not on my side, I intend to draw plans for both the DL 40 and the DL 60. Both planes are ridiculously simple in construction with a box type fuselage, constant chord wing, and solid sheet rudder and elevator. A balsa block cowl can be made unless you can make your own out of fiberglass and resin. If you want this as a future scratch-built project, I can eventually draw up some plans and pass them on.