Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Applying Butyrate Dope to Plastic

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Applying Butyrate Dope to Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:41 PM
carddfann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Applying Butyrate Dope to Plastic

Hey guys,

I'm using .010" styrene sheet for fuselage panels for added scale. The rest of the model is covered in koverall and I'll be using traditional dope. However, I found that the butyrate dope doesn't stick at all. It peels cleanly off. I made sure the plastic was clean and lightly sanded to ruff it up a little. I took a sample of the styrene and tried a coat of nitrate dope as primer then applied butyrate and it still doesn't stick. I happen to have a can of flat white Rustoleum paint that claims it also sticks to plastic and I'm in the process of trying that as a primer for the dope. While I'm waiting for that Rustoleum primer to dry, does anyone here have any suggestions for applying dope over plastic? By the way, I bought this plastic sheet from Sig and they claimed that dope will stick but it doesn't, unless there is something special about their brand of dope. The dope I'm using is from Brodak but that shouldn't matter. I'm sure others have successfully used thin plastic for details so there must be a solution. Thanks, Gary
Old 02-28-2016, 09:50 PM
mgnostic

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

The dope may attack the Rustoleum. Better to test on scrap. One of the tricks I learned with plastic is to wash it with a detergent to get any oils or mold release off of the plastic. Sanding with very fine sandpaper (600 grit or finer) will give some tooth to help attach the paint.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:13 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using an automotive lacquer based primer on styrene. It seems to be adhering well. It has to be applied in light coats, however, or it will attack the plastic.

Since it's lacquer, I would assume that dope will work on top of it. I haven't tried it, though, so proceed with caution.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0075.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	2150802  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:46 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I replied to this thread several days ago but somehow the reply disappeared!

Yes, as Tom suggested, use a bit of lacquer based, automotive primer on the styrene and it will create a very good interface between the plastic and the dope. I've done this quite a bit in the past.

The dope will more than likely attack the Rustoleum primer and cause it to wrinkle.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:45 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rustoleum applied directly over dope is always problematic .Without primer as a barrier it may take months to dry and as stated it cracks the paint. consider using water based urethane and primer.
Dennis