Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Vintage 1982

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 04:03 PM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Vintage 1982

1982 seems like yesterday. My friend it was 36 years ago. I had just completed the construction of a kit built Great Planes Super Sportster 40. I was leaving my P51D Mustang behind me. (I wonder what happened to that thing) At the time, I had my trusty radio (Kraft Sport Series), my Enya 45, my Flight Line Tote Box, and I was ready to FLY.

Well next thing I know .... my wife this, my daughter that, my job something else, and the Sportster and gear, went into storage. Well I kept it in storage all these years. I got it out and cleaned it tonight. Something had lit the RC spark in my soul. I am not sure what lit the spark but there is now a flame burning steadily. It is not a fire, it is just a steady flame. Not sure where all this is going since I am now 185 years old. I do remember seeing the old timers at the flying field when I was in my 30's. I quietly wondered if that would be me one day. I thought.... no way! I was SO wrong

Click image for larger version

Name:	42399508660_4ed87fff87_o.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	2261700

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 08-22-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:08 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lee join the crowd of old limber dicks who still fly RC airplanes. I am only 73 and I have been flyin' since '74, now I fly the giant scale WW I gas engine planes. They bigger, easy to see, fly slower and the gas engines are user friendly. Plus I enjoy the Dawn Patrol events. You should give these plane a second look, a great bunch of guys.

Keep'em Flyin'
Rich

here are a couple of my planes I have 7 flyin' now but these two are my most enjoyable WW I planes
Old 08-23-2018, 10:29 AM
Lee Taylor

Well I do not know where it is going for me and I am going to have to be careful with that. Maybe I will just not look to far out in the future right now. For me it is strickly a hobby so I do what I want when I want. Does that sound onery or what? I am not really onery but I am at an age where I try to do what I want to do. Family is grown and all that. Those photos are GREAT and I do love those large wooden props an throaty sounding strokers. It is too early to know yet but I am trying to figure out what I want out of the hobby at this point. This may be my last run. My history is:

1962: 1/2A Control Line
1965: .35 Stunt and 36x Combat
1980: .45 Shoulder Wing RC
1982: .45 WWII Low Wing Fighter
1990: .45 GP Super Sportster 98% complete (goes into moth balls)
2018: RC gear comes out of moth balls covered in roach turds

Click image for larger version

Name:	43504849504_3f31fb02d9_o.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	2261705
Old 08-23-2018, 05:59 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I started out with a single stick 4 ch. Kraft, bought it used for $400.00. Don't sell your Kraft. As you can see things have improved tremendously and the prices on kits, engines, covering and building supplies has climbed. The new radios are so much better than in our day, even the cheap ones are good. Think about what you want from the hobby. First I think you should find a club and a flying field and meet other flyers. A good activity you enjoy can only lead to a happier you and a longer life.

At our age we should be able to do what we want and when. My wife is very understanding in this area and I don't interfere with her free time. Please use the forums to check out what is going on, guys will respond .

Take Care
Rich
Old 08-24-2018, 06:19 AM
Lee Taylor

I have plans to visit and evaluate 3 local clubs this weekend. My ex wife was the extremely jealous type and saw my hobby as competition. (not good). I have no financial need to sell my old stuff. Its going to the grave with me. It is different for everybody, I do know that. I noticed an attraction to the OS four strokes