Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Do you remember the basic stick and rubber power with a high mount two piece wing?

Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Do you remember the basic stick and rubber power with a high mount two piece wing?

Old 10-11-2018, 11:04 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Do you remember the basic stick and rubber power with a high mount two piece wing?

The cheap, basic, Guillow's type, rubber power planes I remember from the 60's had a red plastic part that affixed to the top of the stick fuse into which the two wing pieces attached.
All the new Strato Streak type planes have a single push-through-the-fuse type wings.
I'm looking for an old model or even a good photo of one. Or any info of when they were in production.
Thanks!

Last edited by Flight Risk; 10-11-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:08 AM
carlgrover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used to fly those when I was a kid. The big one was the expensive model with landing gear. I liked that one the best because it wasn't so squirrely in the air. About $1.19 a copy, I think. Don't know where you'd ever find one. Maybe eBay or a swap meet. Somebody probably has one laying around in their shop somewhere.

carl
Old 10-13-2018, 04:56 AM
buzzard bait

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I remember that the only ones that flew well were the A.J. Walker ones; more expensive, but they worked! Flew right over the house from a launch off the driveway. Sixty-five years later I still remember those. All others were disappointing after that.

Jim
Old 10-13-2018, 05:01 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm pretty sure I recall the one you're talking about. No idea where to find it but, Guillow's makes those simple rubber jobs so you might try them.

Guillow's
Old 10-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Flight Risk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks to all who have responded. I had thought I was looking for Guillow's planes, but it seems that the planes I remember were by North Pacific Products Co., which was somewhat connected to AJ and Jim Walker. It's interesting what they mention about the wing curl. I'm thinking of building a 48-60" ws version, paint it as the original. and power with electric.

North Pacific
Old 10-15-2018, 03:39 PM
DStone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I, too, spent my meager allowance on North Pacific planes when I was a kid in the late 50's and early 60's before I was old enough to build my own. Here is a website with the histories of many of the RTF balsa planes. Wood Gliders
Old 10-17-2018, 07:42 AM
mgnostic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lol, the Sleek Streek taught me about center of gravity before I even knew that was a thing. Back in the late 60's the local grocery store had them for 25 cents. There was a smaller plane with no landing gear for 15 cents and a little glider for a nickel. Dang I'm getting old..
Old 10-17-2018, 11:22 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Flight Risk View Post
Thanks to all who have responded. I had thought I was looking for Guillow's planes, but it seems that the planes I remember were by North Pacific Products Co., which was somewhat connected to AJ and Jim Walker. It's interesting what they mention about the wing curl. I'm thinking of building a 48-60" ws version, paint it as the original. and power with electric.

North Pacific
I remember those. As I recall the plastic thing was pretty cheap and would break easily.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:04 PM
Flight Risk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
I remember those. As I recall the plastic thing was pretty cheap and would break easily.
it was a pretty good design though. It gave the plane good dihedral, and allowed a change to the CG.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Flight Risk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Smile

Originally Posted by mgnostic View Post
Lol, the Sleek Streek taught me about center of gravity before I even knew that was a thing. Back in the late 60's the local grocery store had them for 25 cents. There was a smaller plane with no landing gear for 15 cents and a little glider for a nickel. Dang I'm getting old..
There were many times I would walk into Ben Franklin's with 25 cents and walk out with candy, a toy, and change.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:18 AM
buzzard bait

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ben Franklin's! That's where I got my Sleek Streaks (and some cheap, but miserable, Comet kits).