Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Motor / Battery for 1/6 BUSA Fokker DR1

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Motor / Battery for 1/6 BUSA Fokker DR1

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 06:19 PM
CO_GTS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor / Battery for 1/6 BUSA Fokker DR1

Need some help deciding what the best solution would be for an engine / motor choice for the BUSA 1/6 scale Fokker DR1 they just came out with. It's a fantastic kit and I am going to go electric so I can "grab it and go" when I have a couple hours to fly in the evenings or whenever.

Here are the planes specs:
Wingspan: 46 3/4"
Wing Area: 841 sq in
Wing Loading: 16 3/4 oz./sq.ft.
Fuselage length 38 1/2"
Engine Size: 40-45 2-stroke, .45 4-stroke or "electric equivalent"
Prop: Xoar 17" PJN to keep it about scale. (my desire)

The good news is that the kit has parts to build either nitro or electric with a laser cut motor mount, battery tray, etc.

The bad news is that the battery tray is actually a box and is low at 25mm tall x 116mm wide x 137mm long. While I can find some 4S LiPo's that are right at 26mm they usually are about 35mm+.

So, I'm thinking I can either go with 2 LiPo's running in a 2S2P config to get the 4S equivalent or I can just place a 4S battery elsewhere in a custom made battery tray. I would have room in the cowl above the motor which may be where I end up regardless if I cant get it to balance with the batts behind the firewall. But it would be a hassle to have to pull the prop and cowl everytime to change batteries.

I fly a Jeti radio so I tend to choose Hacker, Esprit, or AXi motors with a Mezon ESC to get all the telemetry and programming right from my TX. But I am not locked into these brands. I tend to go with Revolectrix LiPo's.

I don't understand Hackers naming conventions so I just played around in eCalc until I got numbers that looked to work. I was able to find some 4S 4S1P or 2P2S "recipes" that worked as well as some 6S1P which would be in a 3S2P config. Nice thing about using 3S batts is that I have other planes I could use them in.

Below are eCalc screen shots of what I came up with; what do you think? Which way would you go? Thanks in advance!

A40 in 4S1P (easy to do the same as 2S2P)

Or.... a 3S2P (6S equivalent) using a different model A40:

And finally another 6S (3S2P) option on a Hacker A50 motor...

​​​​​​​Any help greatly appreciated!