Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

LiveWire

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 10:04 AM
EHFAI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LiveWire

As a nostalgia project I decided to collect / recreate models that represented milestones in my modeling career. Pertinent to this forum, my first RC model was a deBolt LiveWire Senior. I obtained an original kit, then scratch built a duplicate airframe. Techniques, tools, and material of the 1950's era were used as appropriate. The engine is a 1950's Fox .19 and the radio gear a Citizenship receiver with Bonner Varicomp actuator. Unfortunately, environmental issues precluded the use of silk and dope, so 21st Century fabric was used to approximate the original's finish.

Safety considerations dictated using a small modern radio with the receiver hidden under the radio box and mini servos in the tail. A fuel shut-off servo is hidden in the nose. Elevator control was reluctantly added to ensure controllability.

The 45+ years old Fox roared to life on Dec 18 and the LiveWire flew again! As much fun as the first flight of a high end pattern model, but after all, the LiveWire was my first "pattern" plane.

Photo shows the radio "box", which was designed to be removable from the cabin, along side the airplane.

Earl Haury
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59708.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	83876  
Old 12-20-2003, 11:55 AM
boberos

Default RE: LiveWire

Nice job Earl,
I hope you will bring it to the Hal DeBolt Vintage re union at Spring Hill Florida in Feb. 04.

Bob G
Old 12-21-2003, 01:06 PM
SCJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earl,

Thank you for posting the picture of your Live-wire. My first RC plane was a LW Cruiser with a K&B 15. My dad and I built it. We never got it to fly- neither of us knowing what to do - but it certainly was an experience I will never forget. I still have bits and pieces of it around, i.e. landing gear and horizontal stab and elevator. We moved it all over the US and I finally through it away about 15 years ago.

Thank you again. It truly brings tears to my eyes, although happy ones, thinking of my dad and me working together building and trying to fly the Cruiser.

Sam
Old 12-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Gonnacrash
My Feedback: (10)

Hey Earl
I could fix you up with all the old Citizenship TX RX and all the goodies !! Some on hand, going to E-bay after the holidays....
Don-Basehor, Ks
Old 12-23-2003, 08:20 AM
EHFAI

Actually the original was fitted with a CG tone receiver (1 hard tube, couple of transistors) and driven with a CG tone transmitter built from a kit. I'd be interested in an intact (working or not) version of the CG radio.

Earl
Old 01-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Hal deBolt

Hi Earl,
Would believe your LW Senior would look and do great with all the
antiques at the Spring Hill VR/CS reunion.
You might consider enjoying attending with many others.
Information contact>

[email protected]
Old 01-02-2004, 12:17 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

A great project. I especiallly like the radio box gear cover for authenticity. I'm looking forward to seeing the next in the Series...

About that elevator. If it hasn't occurred to you yet I'd suggest working on the thrust, wing incidence and balance trims until it flies without requiring the use of the elevator except in emergencies. I finally stepped up to the rudder only challenge this past summer and a couple of us on the 1/2A forum have had excellent luck with 049 sized models. With my new skills I'd have no qualms about rudder and throttle only on a model of this sort. Eventually you may find that the elevator can be wired in place as a ground adjustable trim tab. Even if you reserve the use of the elevator for landings only I think you'll find that the model is very controllable when trimmed correctly. Loops, rolls, Immelmans and a few others without standard names are all possible maneuvers on my RO model. It's been a total hoot flying the "Old" way.

If you're too faint of heart to try RO in these larger models what about a 1/2A vintage with an old Spitzy, OK Cub or K&B 049 as a single channel trainer for your next act?
Old 01-02-2004, 03:52 PM
EHFAI

Bruce

I agree with your comments regarding elevator control and trim. After reducing the wing incidence a little and moving the CG forward a little the Livewire has a nice hand tossed glide and power on at neutral elevator. While elevator control does permit flying in more windy conditions, it does make it a bit too easy.

Interestingly, I had forgotten the effectiveness of the small rudder and initially had 25 degrees or so of travel. Way too sensitive with even small stick movements, let alone the all or nothing of the original escapement rig.

A real "hoot" to watch the Livewire fly as well as (or better than) the ARF's in the air with it. While my mainstream is FAI pattern, this nostalgia piece is providing a great deal of satisfaction.

Earl
Old 01-08-2004, 08:14 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone remember the Live Wire Rebel? I still have the bones for one. Originally powered by a Frog .09 diesel, Bonner conrols.

George
Old 01-20-2004, 12:38 AM
airasj

HI all,

I recently refinished a Miss America. It was from a ver old kit my father gave me in 1978. He also learned me to build models with it. It is for 049, but it was to little power back then and it made only 1 flight. I recently got a Enya 09 for it, and refinished it with 3 channels. Flies beautifully. The elevator is also not really needed. Does anybody know this model and the kit manufacturer. The box and plans got lost through the years and I would dearly like to get a copy of the plan.

Regards
Attie
Old 01-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a picture? That would help. Sheet balsa fuselage or built up from sticks? Is it typical r/c construction wher it was designed to be sturdy?
Old 01-21-2004, 02:52 PM
newtech

GCB, The Rebel was the first R/C model I built back in about 1955. Liked it so much that I bought a set of plans a couple of years ago and have a new one covered and about ready for equipment. Will be putting an O.S. 15 R/C in it. If you are interrested I could post a few pictures.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:44 AM
mightyhorn

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello:
I had a simular reaction.
My first memory of my dad flying R/C planes was of the Cruiser. He said it was a great trainer.
It's probably better than many built today.
Probably this summer, my son & I are going to start on one.