Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Pronto plans (1962 MAN Annual)

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Pronto plans (1962 MAN Annual)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 04:02 PM
newtech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pronto plans (1962 MAN Annual)

I am trying to track down a copy of the plans for the Pronto that was featured in the 1962 Model Airplane News Annual. MAN doesn't list the plans. I have an e-mail into them asking about availability but thought I would see if anyone had an old copy or knew of a source for it. It was a .19 powered shoulder wing R/C with a Clark Y airfoil. Pretty little airplane.

I built one back in 1962 and have been going through a period of nostalgia reliving some of my youth by building some of the models I built back then. Have a DeBolt Champ that I have been flying for ten years and a DeBolt Rebel that is covered and awaiting equipment installation. Also have an old Sterling Tri-Pacer kit on the shelf that needs building one of these days.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:59 PM
kdheath

Default RE: Pronto plans (1962 MAN Annual)

Try this link and get in touch with Bob Harris-he is very familiar with these vintage birds.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/The_...1451241/tm.htm

Kelvin
Old 02-05-2004, 11:11 PM
EHFAI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible that the Pronto that you're referring to is a Fred Reese design that was kited by Tidewater? If so it probably was circa 1972 rather than 1962. I recall building this Pronto from MAN plans and it was similar to your description, but I believe a low wing with Clark Y and a ton of dihedral, it used a dowel for the leading edge and was .19 powered.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:42 AM
newtech

ORIGINAL: EHFAI

Is it possible that the Pronto that you're referring to is a Fred Reese design that was kited by Tidewater? If so it probably was circa 1972 rather than 1962. I recall building this Pronto from MAN plans and it was similar to your description, but I believe a low wing with Clark Y and a ton of dihedral, it used a dowel for the leading edge and was .19 powered.
They are actually two different planes. Both are fun planes but the one I am trying to track down was featured as a construction article in the 1962 MAN Annual. A couple of years ago I called MAN trying to find the plans and they sold me a set for the plane you are talking about. They have apparently lost the ones for the 1962 Pronto.

The one I am looking for is the one the girl is holding
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85499.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	97897  
Old 02-07-2004, 05:53 PM
ebeneezer3

The Pronto was designed by Dave Robelen. He is designing back yard and smaller rc planes now.
His email address frequently appears at the end of his articles. A year or so ago I contacted him about a copy of the plans for the Pronto. I flew one too. He can make a copyof his plans for you. Ted Brown
Old 02-08-2004, 09:27 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Dave Robelen designed the SECOND Pronto. This would be an earlier one. Fred Reese did not design the later pronto but may have been the desinger of the older one.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:31 PM
newtech

Right. The pronto designed by Dave Robelen was a low wing model. Suprisingly, it seems that it was also published in MAN in 1962. I am getting closer to tracking down a set of plans. I just won the eBay auction for the issue of the magazine that has the construction article so the mystery of the designer will be solved. If necessary I can blow up the plans in the magazine.

It was really a nice airplane. I can't wait to get another one built.

Name:	Mk27041.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	98894  
Old 02-10-2004, 01:03 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Steve,
If you absolutely can not find a full size plan, it is not at all difficult to make a perfectly
respectable full size plan from a good scan of the magazine page.
The trick is to scan it at the correct scale factor, and run the scan through a
line thinning program. I have the MAN 62' annual and can do it for you if you like
(no charge, I am a fan of that plane too and love the "Rudder Bird" paint job.
Actually, Sterling may have taken it from that plane as I think the RudderBird came
out after 1962. I built my first one around 1970.)
I'll update with the designer/author when I dig up that issue..
Dave
Old 02-10-2004, 03:55 PM
newtech

Thanks for the reply. My copy of the magazine should be here this week. I like your idea of scaning the plans and will play around with that as soon as I get the magazine. I will verify that the plans are not available from Model Airplane News after I get the plan number. If they aren't, I will take your idea and play around with the scan. I have some pretty deacent CAD software that I may try to get the scan into and do a line tracing job on it.

Will let you know how this turns out. Like you, I like the paint job and am seriously considering duplicating it on the 100% scale RV-7A I am building.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:53 PM
fritzke

100% scale RV7? How many servos on the rudder?
Dave
Old 02-10-2004, 05:48 PM
newtech

It actually does have an R/C servo for the elevator trim tab Way over 50% of the builders I have met are current or former model builders. So, I guess it is a natural progression Only wish I had the money to order my fuselage kit. I am kinda stuck at the wing stage until I can restock the hobby account.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:02 PM
fritzke

Steve,
Well, now I''ll be dammed if I can find that issue, I was just looking at it a couple months ago too!
Arrgh, I hate that! I think I got mine in a lot off of e-bay too. I paid dearly for a MAN '61 Annual
as I wanted to see those DelGatto GeeBee R1 U/C plans again. Somehow my copy got lost over
the years. My Dad started to build one in the 70's, I finished it off (4 channel R/C with a Saito .30!)
I used a plastic mixing bowl from K-Mart for a cowl, it was dead-on scale. The planked balsa cowl
my Dad built for it was just to cool to lose in a nose-over!
Have not had the guts to fly it yet, it is pretty tiny.
Steve, no doubt you have built a GP RV4?
Dave
Old 01-29-2006, 01:11 AM
Capt. Bill

I built the Tidewater Pronto back in the early 70's. It built fast and was fun to fly with a Veco .19, a picture is included. And wow did it have dihedral, take off roll on grass was about two feet

Name:	Fd91404.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	397490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88802.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	397491  
Old 01-29-2006, 09:57 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

newtech, Another person to try who may have this plan is Demon-Leather here on rcuniverse.
He has a great deal of older plans. Check with him to see what you can come up with.
Also I second the motion of blowing up the plans from the magazine article if you are not able to track down the full size.

Robert
Old 01-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Demon-Leather
My Feedback: (10)

I struck-out... I looked through the plan racks, and couldn't come up with anything... I MIGHT have the M.A.N magazine it was published in, if anyone has the month... I don't have the Annual... Bob
Old 01-30-2006, 02:33 AM
burtcs

Newtech: Checking in this issue of MAN Annual it appears the designer of this model is Robert Lopshire. The model is a shoulder wing. I've included for your viewing pleasure a scan of the plan.

HTH - Steve B.

PS: I have seen more than one Pronto design over the years, the low winger pictured is for a fifeteen. This one is shoulder winged for a .15-.19. Good luck...

Name:	Ca80267.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	398305