Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

How do I cover with Silk?

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

How do I cover with Silk?

Old 04-27-2004, 07:07 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: How do I cover with Silk?

Spud8939, sorry but I can't comment on the difference. I've never done anything with silk before... that was the main reason for my starting this thread in the first place - and everyone answered a lot of my questions in spades... I'd love to keep getting email about this if anyone has other ideas...

Dicknadine, I'm not sure if you picked it up or not, but the plane that I want to use the silk on is, coincidentally,a Playboy. I was going to do it in transparent monokote, but after seeing that plane with the silk finish at the WRAM show, I got hooked.

Any other folks have any further info on silk covering??? Or, do you have a photo that you want to show off?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 04-27-2004, 10:19 PM
dicknadine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob. what color silk? why, cause silk doesn't have tooo bright a sheen to reflect the sun light up in the clouds, like Momo-coat. however thats whats good about the hobby-- its what turns us each on. inbetween flying, I research the antique aircraft- 1900 thru early 1930's, find one I and proceed to scratch draw giant 81" & up plans, then get busy and build it with intention of flying it at least once. then its a ceiling hanger, 17 so far in the houseand more in back shops -- Fantastic wife of + 50 years. yell if I can help. dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62393.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	126993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82366.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	126994  
Old 04-27-2004, 11:57 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I mentioned it a few messages back... I got some green (Emerald) and some Coral (red).

Which colors seem to show up better. I hadn't thought that would be a problem...

Nice collection that you have there...

Bob
Old 04-28-2004, 12:59 PM
spud8939
My Feedback: (4)

Bob,
When you get into the process with silk, I suggest you use the techniques outlined in a post on page 1 of this thread posted by jcw111 on 12/11/2001. This is the exact same method that I have used for over 30 years with excellent results. A few comments about dope. Aero gloss is not compatible with anything else. I would not use it unless I had no other option, and then it MUST be used only with Aero Gloss. I don't know if it can be used over nitrate, but I'm sure someone on here knows. Nitrate is good to stick the covering on with, it bonds well. Butyrate (fuel proof), is good with a few cautions. It continues to shrink almost forever if you don't put a few drops of plasticizer in it. Sig dope is good but expensive. If you get on the web and search out Aircraft Spruce and
Specialty Company, they sell Randolph aircraft dope. Very good product, thick like syrup, so get plenty of thinner. When you get a part covered, brush a thinned coat of dope over the wood areas and the blush from the wet silk will disappear like magic. When you go to fill the open areas, use a fairly dry brush with moderately thin dope. The secret is ONE PASS with the brush, more pushes the dope through the silk. Count on going over it several times to get it completely filled. After that, you can do as you wish within reason with little to no problems.
Hope this helps, ask any questions you like,
Good Luck,
spud8939
Old 04-29-2004, 09:47 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Spud.

Within the last 1 1/2 years, I have used Aero Gloss over and under; Sig, Randolph, and Certified with no problems, and yes it will go over nitrate. I did a test panel because I only needed a little of a color; Aero Gloss was readily available, but nothing else was.

The green stripe in LG-01 (several posts earlier in this thread) and the black are both Aero Gloss over Certified.

Les
Old 04-29-2004, 10:54 AM
spud8939
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Les,
Glad you had success with that combination, when I did it, the aerogloss developed cracks all over it after about a year. That was with aerogloss over Randolph clear---
spud8939
Old 04-29-2004, 11:10 AM
dicknadine

forgot to mention that , in my opinion, the Mono-Coat is very easy to repair after the usual crack-up mishaps. also I have never tried silk- have covered a couple of Play Boys with poka-dot poyester fabric with clear dope covering. lots of creative patterns flying. dick
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

forgot to mention that , in my opinion, the Mono-Coat is very easy to repair after the usual crack-up mishaps. also I have never tried silk- have covered a couple of Play Boys with poka-dot poyester fabric with clear dope covering. lots of creative patterns flying. dick
A tear in silk or tissue we can close with some clear UHU Hart glue (German brand). It's also a fuelproof method and useable on painted open structures .
After the glue has dried even the tension of the open structure covering is back.

Taurus Flyer