Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

GP Tigermoth 91 4 sroke enough??

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

GP Tigermoth 91 4 sroke enough??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 08:11 PM
airmaniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Tigermoth 91 4 sroke enough??

has anyone flown the GP tigermoth with a 91? just wondering if its enough power. my Magnum 52 on my eindecker should really go balls to the wall and it doen't! the moth is pretty big and im wondering if a 91 will cut it.. thanks
Old 06-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GP Tigermoth 91 4 sroke enough??

If your talking about the Great Planes Tiger Moth ARF any .91 4 stroke is perfect for it. A friend of mine flies one with a Saito .80. No problems.
[&:]
Old 06-06-2004, 09:01 AM
althepal

HI Airmaniac,

just read my thread "tiger moth maiden flight". My moth did fly with a fss91 surpass II from OS. Prop was a 14x6. The plane flew ok, very rea;istic, but sluggish...high wind and also the fact that I had done a new finish on it that was heavier than the monokote. To balance the plane, I had to add 8oz of lead on the engine mount. The plane flew at full power most of the time.
IT flew, so a 91 4 stroke is ok, and if you stick to the original finish, should be fine.
In my case, since the difference of weight between a 91 and a 120 (both 4 stroke) is 8 oz, and I had to put 8 oz of weight to balance the plane, I thought it would be better to put useful weight than dead lead. I can now turn a 16x6 prop, more scale size.
But I repeat, if you keep the weight in range, the 91 should be fine. Also, avoid ANY weight around the tail, so that you do not need so much lead in front. Make sure you balance the plane close o nose heavy, as the controls are somehow sluggish
Good luck
Al
Old 06-06-2004, 10:47 AM
airmaniac

thanks for the info, i did add about 3 oz to the nose. lateral was fine.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Blocker
My Feedback: (5)

I have a OS 91FS in mine. Balance came out ok, and it will take off at 1/3 throttle. Real sweet flier. Im using a 14/6 prop.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:23 PM
flyrcplanes

I have noticed that all the post on the GP Tiger Moth are old. At least 6 months to a year. Has anyone had a recent experience with this plane? I am currently putting one together with a new OS 91 Surpass II and hope that it will balance with little or no weight added. I hope the factory picked up on the nose heavy situation and corrected it by now. If not I will use two batteries or one really large one. I hate adding useless weight to an airplane. Could also use heavy metal engine mounts like the ones that come with some ARFs. I would love to hear some fresh comments on this plane.

John 3:16