Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

DeBolt aircraft

Old 12-09-2004, 05:02 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DeBolt aircraft

WM: The pics I sent to you are the pics of a Live Wire 'Cruiser'..Have manage to get info on plans for it...Will write to the person this week and order a set... Got the info from Hal himself.....This was the first plane I had when I first got into R/C in '63'..

BTW,just a recent posting on here in regards to Hal Debolt..He has cancer and only has around 6 months or so, to live...My prayers are for Hal and his family...Just thought you'd like to know.....
Old 12-09-2004, 10:34 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimmy.....

I received a message a day or two ago mentioning an elderly model A/C, but no pictures arrived. I figured there may have been some difficulty in sending these.

I think Fran Ptaszkiewisz out of Tonawanda New York is selling off original plans from DeBolt. I have a few originals here, but they are too huge to replicate in other than offset.

Wm.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:43 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Fran is selling Debolt plans, or at least he was earlier this year. I was able to get a set for the Dmeco P-51 I picked up a few years ago. They did pretty good in the 60s with reeds and Super Tigre 56s, so it should be something with a modern Scnuerle 60 and a newer radio that weighs less than some of the older servos.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:20 AM
boberos

To Coosbaylumber,

Where did you ever find Hal's Stits Playboy?
I have seen pics of it in old magazines but never been able to find a plan of it.

Bob G
Old 12-10-2004, 09:00 PM
CoosBayLumber

Regarding the Stitt's (SP) Playboy.....

I have five sheets of plans for the model A/C. Looks as though there was some thought as to making it one of the produced models as on a couple of the sheets the details are nicely done. Other sheets are revisions and sketches. If a person were a competant modeler, he could build a model right from the plans. Most DeBolt plans had instructions, radio installation details, an isometric drawing etc. Well, these plans did not get that far.

Bob Holman and I are considering making up a few laser cut semi-kits from one or two of the models noted in the above list. Moreover we have a problem in the replication of the plans, in that we want something which was done at less than 36 inches wide so a common plotter can be used. This cuts out a few of the most popular ones.

Wm.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:12 PM
50+AirYears

Stits made some planes that are great for quarter scalers. I've got a clipping from an October 68 American Modeler magazine with plans for the playboy by Bud Atkinson. Wingspan is somewhere around six feet, and the plan shows a 61, which for the time probably meant the K&B 61. Very practicaal size.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

I have been a friend of Mr. deBolt now for 59 years, and have built many of his airplanes. We flew models together back in the free flight days - then U-control, and then R/C. Here are some old photos:

First is a U-Control Speedwagon with a Hornet 60 engine that I got as a graduation present when leaving high school, 1947. I no longer have the airplane, but I still have the Hornet.

Second is my Custon Livewire Bipe powered by a K&B green-head .45 engine, the largest R/C engine available at that time. The year was 1957. (I think) This airplane was flown on reeds, Citizenship 8-channel, with Bonner servos.

Third is a pair of Bell Aircobras that my brother (Bill) and I used for racing. These planes had K&B .40 R/C racing engines, and still used reed radios. I think that was 1965. Originally these were silver in color, but they were so hard to see, we repainted them bright orange.

Fourth is my deBolt Acrobat. Harold built the first one, and I built the second one. His wings were flat, but I couldn't buy that at the time, so I added dihedral to mine. This was my first airplane on a new Orbit 7-14 digital radio specifically made for me by Bob Dunham, and I think this was about 1967. The airplane was covered with silk, and painted with dope.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74856.gif
Views:	98
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	202599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79058.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	202600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12935.gif
Views:	137
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	202601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48278.gif
Views:	101
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	202602  
Old 12-14-2004, 06:57 AM
Jimmy Bananas

Jim Messer;

Well my first plane was a Debolt Livewire "Cruiser", back in 63..Had a Citizenship single stick Brown Box, Super Reg. rec'r, with Bonner servos..Freq. was 27.145..The plane was flown and trimmed out by a fellow club member. Then I flew it ( my very first flight), and I lost signal and it flew away down range..found it about a month later and it was totaled..This is the second one I built and had a F&M "Matador"radio, which was more reliable..I put tri-gear on it...Had a OS 35 engine with a rotating barrel for a muffler..Remember them engines? Anyway here is a picture of it...Nope,never did lose signal again...Flew it for a couple of years...Wrote to Fran about plans for it..Haven't hear from him yet, and it plans are available,but will build it again..Sorry,but am suffering from a little "Nostalgia"....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90053.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	202767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49002.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	202768  
Old 01-16-2005, 09:27 PM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Do any of you know where I can buy a kit and or plans for the De Bolt Champ? I built one in 1967.
Brian
Old 01-16-2005, 10:11 PM
CoosBayLumber

There really isn't much to a Champ. Flat sides and wings.

Just completed ribs for the Kitten last week. It was my understanding that some firm in the Mid-west is making near complete kits at about $150 each. I have been working on duplicates in semi-kit format for several of the DeBolt series. I think our parts will average 1/4 of the dup-kit price.

I have the originals for the plans (plus many others) but Fran in New York is selling original offset printed plans from stock.

Has been much discussion at the Vintage R/C Society forum at Yahoo groups about DeBolt this past month. Hal isn't in too good of shape now.

Wm.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:04 PM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

WM:
How do I get ahold of Fran?
Brian
Old 01-17-2005, 05:58 AM
Jimmy Bananas

Thunderbolt-RCU:

Here is frans address:

Francis X. Ptaszkiewicz
23 Marlee Dr.
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Have my Livewire 'Cruiser"plans from him..will build it this summer.....

Good Luck
Old 01-17-2005, 01:10 PM
DaveP

William-

Here's 4 more deBolt designs I don't see listed:

"Little Joe" CL speed trainer, 16", .19, Nov 1951 MAN
"Over & Under" RC Cabin, 65", .19, July 1954 Air Trails
"Equalizer" RC Bipe, 56", .15, Nov 1955 MAN
"Encore" RC Pattern, 64", .60, March 1967 RC Modeler

- Dave Plumpe
Old 01-17-2005, 09:58 PM
CoosBayLumber

I obtained a listing of the Radio airplanes about two-three months ago. Three of the A/C you have noted appear upon that list. The Little Joe does not. We have yet two more nameless designs drawn on the back of Speedwing plans. In communication with Hal, he does not remember all of the designs which went across the drafting table. I sent copies to him in early December, and think in our pile there were two which drew a complete blank.

We did manage to settle an ongoing misconception though. Everyone seems to get confused on the Interceptor and variants. You can't believe how many stories are out there, and they each contradict one another. What I did was to gather up the text from an old American Modeler magazine article that I had, and it lays out the progress of the namesake. We have a print of the Mark Two, and it bears little resemblance to the other models in the tail areas. Take a read at the noted URL.

http://www.mybloo.com/coosbay/laser/inter.htm

Wm.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:59 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Joe Nagy
LW Taylorcraft, scaled after Dwayne Cole's Clipped wing full size, this kit design utilized the airfoil from the former LW Acrobat/Jenny/P-Shooter designs
I've had one of these kits for years now. I keep thinking of building it. One time I even went so far as clearing the building table and taping down the plans, but then changed my mind. I've even got rolls of red and white super coverite that I planned to use. The biggest problem I'm having is trying to figure out how to get the engine I want to use, Saito FA-45, inside the cowling. It seems the engine is a bit too long for the cowl. I'd really like to use a 4 stroke in this, but I guess if I had to, could go to a 2 stroke with a pitts muffler to make it easier to fit in the cowl. Anyone who has built one of these got any ideas?
Old 01-23-2005, 06:43 PM
50+AirYears

Does anybody have any experience with building any of DeBolt's stressed skin wings? I got hold of a kit for the P51, and the plans show using a couple boards hinged for the dihedral angle, and some forms to hold the upper wing skin in place while the internal wing framework is built on it. Of course, the boards are set up so with the wing built upside down, the angle comes out correct.
Saw a lot of these flown in the early sixties, usually with K&B 45s and ST 56s. Undecided whether I want to use my ASP, K&B, or Fox 60 in it. Of course, with today's much lighter radios, probably even one of my Fox 45, 46 or 50s would work.
Don't forget, not only did DeBolt design a huge number of R/C planes, but he also did a lot with FF and C/L too. Also a huge amount of work in improving model autogyros.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Everyone;

Greetings to All from sunny, cold and real frosty Florida! No! the beaches are not thong infested today, and the gals are wearing fur-lined Bikinis' under their long-johns...[dammit!]

In response to 50+'s question re Hal's stressed skin building technique: well, 50+ described it just fine; set up the jigs/forms as Hal suggests, and the wings almost build themselves. I love the method, and once set up, just use the instant glues like an arc/spot welder, the wings go together like a snap, and are super light and super strong. I use his method for my own designs and adapt it for other kits/designs. Once you get adapted and used to the method it is great. Like that old saying: 'Try it, you'll like it!.'

As an aside; I have also had the distinct pleasure of knowing and flying with Hal in the old 'United Pylon Racing Curcuit' days back in the 70s. ANd met Hal for the first time as a teen-ager in the summer of '61 or 62; I had borrowed by Dad's new 61 Olds, and took a date, [my Dad's best Friends' daughter], to a RC model airplane meet held at the old and long gone flying site at Kipp's Lane, London, Ontario. Well, at that meet, I witnessed my first RC airplane hitting a spectator accident, wherein a scale pilot was flying a large Spitfire, supposedly with a fiberglass wing, anyways, on his landing approach the engine stopped and the aircraft dipped and hit a judge/spectator sitting in a lawn chair on the field; he, the chair, and the plane all went a-- over teakettle, the man was unconscious, and was taken to hospital. The fiberglass wing survived undamaged I believe. Later, on leaving the contest I introduced myself to Hal and he showed to me his radio systems....the then miraculous and very expenxive single stick, fully proportional Space Control systems, which later became Orbit, and were the forrunners of what we fly today. Oh yes, my Sunday afternoon date that day simply hated her outing, that both me, and model airplanes in general, were a waste of her time.....[ooh the pain]. I learned; my now wife of 39 years, Shirley, loves the hobby, and me too, I guess, and buys me RC kits to add to my ever-growing collection now numbering more than 450 or so.

I imagine a good many of us have similar memories of being a Friend of Hal's, and flying with him. My Brother Steve and I visited Hal's Kit Works: DMECO in Buffalo, NY a couple of times, and treasure our longtime Friendship 'wid da Man'!!

I'll close for now, [how 'bout a few others' contributing stories re Hal], I know I would like to read them. Best regards to Hal, and to the rest of you out in RCU-land from frigid and cold Thongless Beach, Englewood, FL,

Joe Nagy. email: [email protected]
Old 01-24-2005, 06:59 PM
50+AirYears

Thanks, Joe. I'll have to put that P51 into the queue.
Gee, and some of my friends think my 160 R/C, CL and FF kits is a lot.
One of the old Flying Models had a blurb about an incident at the Nats. Hal had either come in quite high in pattern, or won. Naturally, some hothead started griping about "Profesionals" having the best of everything and the "Little Guy" without the money and staff couldn't afford the radios, planes, and engines to be competitive. Somebody set up a swap where the griper and Hal traded planes, and each made a flight in front of a group of judges. Supposedly, if I remember the article, Hal actually outscored his best official score, and the griper did worse than his worst. The hothead had to eat his words. I think it was the same issue had a picture of either Wally Schirra or John Glenn at the Nats with the caption "We expect to see big things out of this young man.".
There used to be a LOT of Nats coverage in all the MA mags back then. Pictures, personal info, tables about who flew what with what engine, radio, and even fuel and prop. Of course, at that time, someone could fly and place high in several contests in each of FF, CL, and radio, and win the Grand National Championship trophy. Impractical now with the need for super amounts of practice and the need at some of the Nats to have the three categories sometimes at separate locations.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:35 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[]

The last email that I got from [email protected] was not a good happy item.

He announced that he "had been to the Doctor and had been diagnosed with terminial cancer"
and asked that no one send concillatory or sympathetic replies. He also stated " That he had had a very full and satisfactory life and was well satisfied."

I got impression that he had 6 months at the best and that was a month ago. [] Am still hope ing that it just isn't true.

I have not completed his email address here as he may have signed off the internet or maybe not. I just don't know and have not received a reply either.

Hal..if you are reading this... Good on Ya Mate!

To the rest of us....Lets Build and Fly One for Pappy !
Old 01-30-2005, 10:59 PM
K.O.
My Feedback: (16)

After reading about the old timers with their vintage airplanes in the latest Model Aviation, it made think about the planes I flew when I was a teenager back in 1955. I started with a Trixter Beam then a Royal Rudderbug then graduated to Hal Debolts line consisting of (1)Trainer, (1) Champion and (3)Cruisers. Radios weren't very reliable back then. In fact I won 1st place multi channel with a Live Wire Cruiser (powered with a K&B 35 or 45 I don't remember), at the Weak Signals contest in 1957. I still have the trophy. The radio was a Babcock 3 channel, heavy, but one of the most reliable radios at the time. One only frequency 27.255 and Frequency 465 was just becoming available. I got out of the hobby for 47 years and now I'm back 2 years now with a lot of catching up to do.

I'm sorry to hear about Hal's illness. I never met the Gentleman but he produced some nice RC kits for the era.
K.O.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:40 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I have a livewire champ that my father built back around early fiftes..I have the escapement and the receiver box etc..I want to cover it and fly it perhaps as an electric.if not I cherish it as a family heirloom..I have his testor u control planes and a host of engines like forester 29's mc Coys ..I also have his mrc rc set never out of the box..as well as his logictrol..
Old 02-10-2005, 10:04 PM
CoosBayLumber

GSNUT......

I received the below via the V.R/C S. forum

A sad note to report to the modeling world, via Tom McCoy and Art Schroeder.

Word has come this afternoon that Hal deBolt passed away this morning, Feb. 10, 2005. You probably know that he was diagnosed with cancer over a year ago, and had been treated with chemo and radiation. At one time, after his earliest operation to remove a tumor, he reported that everything was clear, and he was free of the cancer. That proved to be not the case.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:27 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is indeed sad news for those of us that built his designs and enjoyed them as I did.
My next pattern bird will follow his design lines and I shall fly it with pride, as I learned a lot from Hal.

Thanks Hal....
Old 02-11-2005, 01:02 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

I am truly saddened by Hal's passing as his name has always been there the whole time I have been in this hobby and that's 50 years. You always think that the great ones will always be here but they are human like us and must go away as we all must some day. You rest in peace Hal and we shall miss you.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:16 AM
CoosBayLumber

The last communication I got from Hal was in middle of January concerning a few experimental models from DMECO. I had a few more questions, sent a message at end of January, now know why no reply.

Wm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.