Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

DeBolt aircraft

Old 02-11-2005, 10:26 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: DeBolt aircraft

He had a unique gift shown in his construction articles. He could explain why the things he did worked. The Hobby just lost one of the greats. R.I.P., Hal.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:33 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Hal will be surly missed. My last conversation was on our Champ kit He had several minor change suggestions for me. I made all the changes he suggested to get a faster and easier builder kit. We discussed changes on other designs for the future. I am going to miss that interaction. He was always very enthusiastic. Always made you smile. His wealth of experience in modeling was astonishing. Only wished I had met him in person. I knew his heath must have been failing as I did not receive his usual cheerful response on his sample kit I sent him. Our prayers are with his family. Another GOOD Man is gone but never forgotten. Think I will go fly his Champ this weekend…

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 02-12-2005, 12:10 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a few old Air Trails magazines tonight, and this was in one from 1953....
Thanks Hal.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66863.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	228180  
Old 02-26-2005, 08:43 AM
flicka5
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

Have tried contacting him several times over past six months, but no luck. I reviewed the list which A.M.A. had, and we have far more plans than they have on their list. Oddly, we do not have a couple of teh popular ones.

Ever hear of the Livewire Wasp, The Rebel, or the Spitfire?

Wm.

Attached is an image of a Wasp RC model from the early 1960's. This was taken in W. NY state and home of deBolt models and Pappy, himself. Is this what you are referring to as the Livewire Wasp?

Name:	Xv64500.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	235067  
Old 02-26-2005, 10:43 AM
CoosBayLumber

Flick.....

Only have the sideview of the fuselage for the Wasp, but it is of Tricycle gear design, and a rounded fin/rudder appearing like the Interceptor 5. Not the swept back design shown in your photo.

Responce from Hal a few months was he did not remember any details about the Wasp in general. He did remember a few of the other designs, just not the Wasp.

For those wanting to do some reading from Hal, go to the Yahoo Groups forum and look up the Vintage Radio Control Society.

Am presently working up new plans (and parts) for Interceptor Five, should anyone like a copy of what was never issued in kit form. Boy is there some errors in the plans!

Wm.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:41 PM
flicka5

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

Flick.....

Only have the sideview of the fuselage for the Wasp, but it is of Tricycle gear design, and a rounded fin/rudder appearing like the Interceptor 5. Not the swept back design shown in your photo.

Responce from Hal a few months was he did not remember any details about the Wasp in general. He did remember a few of the other designs, just not the Wasp.

For those wanting to do some reading from Hal, go to the Yahoo Groups forum and look up the Vintage Radio Control Society.

Am presently working up new plans (and parts) for Interceptor Five, should anyone like a copy of what was never issued in kit form. Boy is there some errors in the plans!

Wm.
Ok, my reason for quizzing you was that the image of the "Wasp" that I attached in my previous post was an actual kit produced in W. NY by a fellow named Dave Berg. He also designed and sold the building device called the "Magna-Jig" which was featured in the very first issue of RCM magazine, 1963. His "Wasp" kit as pictured had a hollowed out balsa fuse made from one chunk of balsa on an automatic carving machine. I have several plans of his "Wasp" design since I save everything. Since Berg's home location was only a few miles from Hal deBolt's "factory", I thought by chance that some veteran modelers had confused the design and credited deBolt for designing Berg's kit called the "Wasp". I know that deBolt and Berg had a social relationship. But, it appears to be just two different designs with the same name?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:49 AM
bigbobed

ORIGINAL: CCRC1

I didn't see the Livewire Pattern Master listed, I just bought one of these NIB from the market place on this site.
Span-60"
Area-720 Sq. In.
Weight- 5pds
Engine- .35 to .49
Midwest kitted the plane and the date on the plans is 1980.
Here's a couple of pictures of a Pattern Master I built last year. I had converted to electric power. Flew it a couple of times and retired it to my shop ceiling. Has too much sentimental value to risk on my thumbs.

Name:	Sq48144.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	243181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46161.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	243182  
Old 03-24-2005, 04:35 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Here are a few pics of my 'Livewire Cruiser", I just finished...This was my first model I built and flew back in 63..Always vowed I would build another one..This one weights around 5 Ibs,has a Mag 36 2 stroke and the stab is glued on,not rubber banded like the original..Wings are rubber banded on...just waiting for some decent weather and will fly it...No big 'Bonner" servos in this one........enjoy

Name:	Vt57272.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	248342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37536.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	248343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28882.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	248344  
Old 04-12-2005, 12:57 AM
mightyhorn

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Livewire Cruiser, don't know the year.
I WAS ONLY 5!!
Old 04-12-2005, 01:00 AM
mightyhorn

I almost had to catch my breath!!
This was the first plane I saw my dad fly and it was a great trainer.
Your's is done almost down to the trim designs- only my dad's was maroon & yellow.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:03 PM
lonesomeflyer

I HAVE A DEBOLT LIVEWIRE P-51 KIT - BUT THERE ARE NO PLANS - I WOULD LIKE TO BUY A SET OF PLANS. I AM WILLING TO BUY A COMPLETE KIT IF IT COMES WITH THE PLANS.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:57 PM
flicka5

There is a fellow in N. Tonawanda, NY who sells the various deBolt model plans. I'll see if I can find the info to contact him?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:36 AM
CoosBayLumber

As for plans, Fran P. has a web site now run by a friend. Can not remember whole URL, but has something to do with Plans, DeBolt etc.

He is selling off excess copies of original plans.

Wm.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:08 AM
lonesomeflyer

I'M LOOKING TO BUY A COPY OF DEBOLT LIVEWIRE P51 (57" WING SPAN) PLANS. I WAS JUST GIVEN A KIT BUT NOT PLANS. LONESOMEFLYER
Old 11-14-2006, 01:47 AM
lonesomeflyer

HI - I GOT A DEBOLT LIVEWIRE P51 KIT BUT NO PLANS. WOULD YOU HAVE PLANS OR A COPY OF THE PLANS FOR SALE. THANKS
Old 11-21-2006, 10:01 AM
CoosBayLumber

Getting back to my mention of the 9th, A friend to Fran had set up a web-site a few months ago in order to advertise and sell off excess original DMECO plans, and issue a few copies of the very popular ones also.

Visit them at :

http://www.deboltplans.com/

Wm.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:50 PM
mightyhorn

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Livewire Cruiser

Great trainer
Old 11-24-2006, 06:54 PM
mightyhorn

I flew down the page, clicked on the pics and almost dropped off my chair.
The Cruiser is fantastic. It brought back so many memories of my dad flying one.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:55 PM
mightyhorn

Wow, that looks so much like Jerry Nelson's Sultan. I had to do a double take
Old 11-26-2006, 02:28 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

You guys bring back good memories. Wish I had some of my old black & white pictures around.....but a wicked step mother took care of my past.

Lotus 72 D remembered the thin wing Sonic Cruiser. I had one on single channel with duel vari-comp escapments. It wasn't my favorite airplane.

In the late fifties I had the Livewire champ....but also had the Rebel with the newer two tube receiver.
I had just rudder control with a Bonner S/N escapment. One day on landing I damaged the symmetrical stab that was held on with rubber bands. I had a old Sterling Mombo stab so strapped it in place on the Rebel... started the big???K&B 09 (prop on backwards) and hand lanuched her into the air....all went well till it was a speck in the sky and I hit the button on the transmitter to bring her down ( that K&B was really runnin good) She spiraled down and I let off the button to level out & do a loop....BUT that LIFTING stab off the Mombo and from the extra speed just kept jacking up the tail and I watched stunned as she dove into the ground at warp speed.
That was the day I learned something about aerodynamics.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:54 PM
CoosBayLumber

Mx from Po-Dunk.....

Way back when someone down the street gave me an airplane that had been hanging in their garage for years. I did not know much about it but screwed in a standard K&B .19 instead of the ignition engine that had used to be.

I launched her from middle of a field once and that airplane went up at about 60 degrees. Kept on climbing, and climbing. I hit the button, yep it was still in contact. After it seemingly passed 1000 feet, I hit the rudder again. It near nosed over and began a spiral down. Release, it righted itself and went to climbing again.

Next time I held down the button for few hunderd feet. It spiralled on down OK, then let up the thumb and the 60 degree climb repeated itself. I did the same routine three more times before fuel ran out once up there.

Then it was really- really away from me. The transmitter had no effect. It glided for perhaps 1/4 mile. Down behind what looked to be a big bush. Walked there. Nope?

Sun set and came back next afternoon to take another look, but longer this time. There was a knoll the bush was on, and the airplane went down in line with it OK, but kept on gliding, low to the ground for yet another 1/4 mile. Took about 90 minutes to locate it.

Years later I find out that A/C was designed to be some sort of competitive climber, with even bigger power up front. It had been advertised to "Glide for miles" before touching down. Decades later it still worked as intended, even with smaller power.

Wm.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:41 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

WM,
Yes, it was a good thing we were younger in those days as about every other flight involved
a chase by foot or jumping in our old car. Most of the time wayyyyyyyyy down wind.

I knew a fellow that would sometimes be out to the field with his Wag ground base transmitter (135V) hooked to his car bat with inverter) with a nine foot whip and when he keyed his button and if you were standing too close it would make the hair stand up on your arm. He brought back a lot of my airplanes when they got too far away.
Funny thing, a FCC station was about three miles from where we use to fly.
Have a good 07
Jim
IMAA ps04
Old 04-22-2008, 12:17 PM
kc2jk310s

I would like to know the original color scheme for Hal DeBolts ORIGINAL Interceptor, it was the one that had Hals' own retracts in it. (it is now called the Interceptor one). I know the scheme on the Interceptor 5 and i have seen an Interceptor One in light blue and white but i am not sure it was De Bolts'. I would appreciate any help i can get. Thanks kc2jk310s
Old 04-22-2008, 12:48 PM
billmod12

KC here is another "interceptor" thread you make pick up on something http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4098436/tm.htm
Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 PM
kc2jk310s

Ok, billmod12, Thanks a lot! If you hadn't straightened me out, i'd still be fumbling around trying to figure it out. I have Dr Brooks' Crusader (from plans), Martins' Banshee (modified from plans) as well as the Interceptor One. I also built Norm Pages Mach 1 from plans and all have the original schemes but the Interceptor One eluded me. I saw Hal fly the 5 at Willow Grove in Pa in i believe 1969 and i thought he won going away. His designs have always held great interest for me. Hank

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.