Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

BALSA USA SWIZZLE STIK 60 SIZE

Old 02-21-2005, 10:34 PM
J3FAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: BALSA USA SWIZZLE STIK 60 SIZE

QUESTION FOR FRANK SCHWARTZ :

I keep coming back to this thread and it seems to have died.

Just CURIOUS to know just how many plans were distributed ?

did you receive all your payments back, in due course ?

I am VERY appreciative of the favor and send you Thanks one more time. The S/S should begin shortly. Mrs.B has a special request that I first build a tiny SE-5 for indoors made of foam and I am doing that because the super small size intrigues her.

best regards to all the thread sharers
Old 02-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Frank Schwartz
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did not keep records...kinda shot from the hip. I had nine copies made and sent out eight of them. Kept one for myself, of course. Just finished up two SS30's (with 19's..why they call it a 30 is beyond me..48 inch span and plans show a .15). I'll build my SS60 after a few other scratch built projects get done. ALMOST all payments have come back in. I think I lost money on this, but it isn't the money, you know, as much as it is the service to my fellow modelers.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:46 PM
D.R.BOWERS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I learned to fly R.C. airplanes with a swizzle stick 40 way back in the 80’s. I have also trained people on the stick and think it is the best trainer for the money. I thought a friend to fly on one while I built hem a 1/5th cub, after learning on the stick and flying his cub, he is now building a stick of his own. My own stick has been modified with has flaps. You can land it on a dime and, it comes out of the air like a homesick rock.

Another friend and I are starting to build a set of sticks with 124” wing spans. That’s right double the size of the 40+.They will be for towing sailplanes. We refer to them as Big Gas Sticks. (Go ahead and say it fast 5 times fast).

It sure would be nice if some of you that have built the 8’ sticks would post some pictures. It might inspire others to build this weird looking bird.

Good flying.
Dale
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15360.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1048613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51368.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1048614  
Old 10-09-2008, 08:37 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What a HOOT this has been! I built a BUSA Stick 40 in the late '70's - early '80's, done up in the red German WWI scheme with black crosses and all and powered with a K&B .40. Used a Kraft 5 Chan. single stick radio. I had a LOT of fun with that plane and still have fond memories of its flying ability.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:18 AM
D.R.BOWERS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can’t wait to get the Big Gas Stick built. I measured it out and man it is big. 124” of ugly airplane, man I look forward to seeing how it fly’s compared to the stick 40+. I fly a stick 40+ every week and I love it.

Good flying.
Dale
Old 10-10-2008, 08:37 AM
squeakalong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

UGLY doesn't even begin to describe it....but, man, was it a lot of good 'ole fashion fun!!! Amazing, isn't it, what can bring back fond memories of flying days gone past.... A 124" version would be cool as a glider tow plane or a camera plane. Dang....there I go again...thinking...
Old 10-13-2008, 10:59 AM
D.R.BOWERS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a picture of my Big Gas Stick.

Name:	Us52873.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1050884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55230.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1050885  
Old 10-13-2008, 12:09 PM
squeakalong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That would be a cool aircraft to load up with candy for the kids and make a drop at a Fun Fly! Would hold a pretty good load.

Soft landings.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:13 PM
D.R.BOWERS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the idea, I am going to try that. I have also thought of R.C. sky diving jump plane.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Huntster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Holly cow... that is the name of the plane.... We had an old timer who had one and it was the prettiest thing you ever saw.... Looked like mahogany wood for the main fuse rails. He was dumping it for $35. Motor and servos..... It was heavy and underpowered but looked pretty.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:12 PM
squeakalong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I had my .40 size the longerons were Redwood! I remember putting a piece of ply across the tops midway back from the "body" to keep the tail from twisting.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:08 PM
sgtdan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First time poster, long time lurker here. My first plane was a BUSA Stick 40. That poor thing survived many bad landings and a tree, but it keep coming back for more! I see that I'm about 3 years too late for plans for the .60 size, but I figured it would be worth a try. Anyone have a set that they would like to sell a copy of? Thanks all!
Old 10-18-2008, 09:43 AM
The Bluehead

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Welcome Sgtdan.

I love this ugly beast. And no Dale I'm not talking about you. It flies so well for something that is so aerodynamically ugly. The current production plane comes in at about 4-5 lbs with a 40 size motor, and can fly very controllable at slow speeds. Dale's bashed wing added flaps and flies even slower. He is currently building the same wing for his buddy Randy, and it looks like we will have a Swizzle Stick air force down there in TN. The Big Gas Stick build should be interesting. For something smaller, you can enlarge the 40 size plans to 70 inches or so to make a 60 sized stick. The fuse is easy to build, the wing would take the most effort in the cutting of the ribs, but it is not too hard.

As I recall, Dale had an encounter with a tree with his original stick back in the 80's.....like flew directly into the trunk!

Good Luck, Will

Name:	Lj22803.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1054158  
Old 10-20-2008, 06:40 AM
D.R.BOWERS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will, as you know, I’ve ran into so many things with my swizzle (trees, fences, the ground, myself and, other people) that I have trouble remembering it all. What I do know is you have to work hard to kill a swizzle stick. Will knows how hard I work at killing everything I fly. I’ve even killed a few of his planes. I’m hard on aircraft.

They are ugly as sin but, they fly great and, they are tough as nails.

P.S. Man Will, that swizzle looks so clean in that picture. I know how much Will loves his the ugly beast.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:00 AM
D.R.BOWERS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here are some pictures of will’s swizzle that he is letting me test crash. You will notice from the picture above that it has a little more grime on it. But, it’s still in one piece.

Name:	Ig11148.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1056168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20959.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1056169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28802.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1056170  
Old 10-21-2008, 01:04 PM
squeakalong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW!!! For a moment there....I thought you'd come up with a BI-PLANE Swizzle stick design in that third photo!! After a long look I finally decided "darn it all..he's got the crossed landing gear legs a bit too large..it'd most likely get caught up in the grass on takeoff so I'd better warn him about that...."

Soft landings.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:35 AM
willrockwell

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Our club, RAMAC in eastern Pennsylvania, has an annual combat series using 40 size swizzle sticks. Here is a video from round one of last year's tournament.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1223332RbTaKGTP?c=ramac
Old 01-24-2009, 08:10 PM
jt182

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dls right know there is one of those giant swizzle stick for sale at ebay starting bid is 50.00 dollars thought you might be interested Item number: 370150003530 at ebay search by item #
Old 04-12-2010, 01:26 PM
ourtime61
My Feedback: (38)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW how I had found this forum a year ago. I bought an unfinished airframe and wing from a friend of mine thinking it was a modifies pietenpol with a jet type canopy as opposed to the open cockpit.

I realized as soon as I saw the Tempo for sale on RC universe last night this was a Tempo. I had never heard of it before now. The person who built the wing had a bell crank set up in it,however there was no way to add a servo. I converted it to 2 servos for the wing and added an Eflite Power 46 for power.

I wish I hadnt let a gguy throw way to much money at me for it before I flew it. LOL
Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ourtime61

WOW how I had found this forum a year ago. I bought an unfinished airframe and wing from a friend of mine thinking it was a modifies pietenpol with a jet type canopy as opposed to the open cockpit.

I realized as soon as I saw the Tempo for sale on RC universe last night this was a Tempo. I had never heard of it before now. The person who built the wing had a bell crank set up in it,however there was no way to add a servo. I converted it to 2 servos for the wing and added an Eflite Power 46 for power.

I wish I hadnt let a gguy throw way to much money at me for it before I flew it. LOL

Most don't realize that the Tempo uses the stick wing. I built a few of them and the last one used the stick 40 wing with ailerons. It was more fun then should be legal but alas I lost it one day flat spinning. I still have plans for the Tempo somewhere in the collection. They are somewhat rare by now. Perhaps if enough people annoy Balsa USA they might run off a couple of copies or perhaps do a limited kit run. It could happen.
Dennis
Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 AM
challenger_i

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does any body have an electronic copy of the Swizzle Stick/Stick 40 plan? I have a kit plan at home, but I need one here so I can start working on my own version of a Big Gas Stick.

Thanks!