Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

M.E.N. Trainer plans or kit

Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: M.E.N. Trainer plans or kit

ORIGINAL: Joe Nagy

Hi Everyone; & Special Attention to Ed Cregger;

Greetings from the sunny nd warm 'Valley of the Sun'.

I too like the MEN line of kits, and have a number of them: the Trainer, CUb, Big John.

Ed, you mentioned that MEN also produced an Aeronca C-3 type. I have never heard of this kit, and would just plane luv to get one, or a set of plans, [a copy of same would be just fine]. Do you, or anyone else out in the vast id of da'net know of a kit or plans for the MEN C-3.

I thank you in advance for any help you can render, best regards from Phoenix,

Joe Nagy. email: joshrl@hotmail.com

------------

Hi, Joe.

My wife had a thing for Aeronca C3's back when she was active in the hobby. We found her the M.E.N. Aeronca C3 in the early Eighties. Right after that she jumped from R/C into sewing and quilts. The model was sold or traded at some point after that. Wish I had kept it.

I never saw another example of that kit after that.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hay Glasair2.
I have a M.E.N. trainer twin too...and I built mine up in Homer, Alaska in the mid 80's. I still have mine hanging in my garage, and it now sports two OS Max .10's. I wore out two Enya .09's on the model, and it is one of the most sweet flying model twins you can fly. I fiberglassed the fuse with 3/4 oz. glass cloth, and installed a good tail wheel assembly on mine. I still have he box and the plans...I just couldn't part with any of it. I have no idea how many flights I have my twin...but I would love a single engine verson.
Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 04-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Ed;

Greetings from Ashville, NC.

Re the MEN C-3, I have a whole bunch-o-info and various plans for the Aeronca C-1-2-3, from 1/2A size rite on up to the Balsa USA 1/4 scale one, but sure would like plans or more info on da MEN one. DO you remember whether or not they used the same wing as on the Cub, you know, with the undercambered airfoil. What I am thinking of doing, if I cannot locate a set of MEN C-3 plans is to simply scratch a JOY Products C-3, [72" ws], and sub in the MEN Cub wing; what do you think?

Got to close, heading back down to Florida, and then back to Phoenix next week, best regards from 'on da road' Little Joey,

Joe Nagy.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:24 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Joe Nagy

Hi Ed;

Greetings from Ashville, NC.

Re the MEN C-3, I have a whole bunch-o-info and various plans for the Aeronca C-1-2-3, from 1/2A size rite on up to the Balsa USA 1/4 scale one, but sure would like plans or more info on da MEN one. DO you remember whether or not they used the same wing as on the Cub, you know, with the undercambered airfoil. What I am thinking of doing, if I cannot locate a set of MEN C-3 plans is to simply scratch a JOY Products C-3, [72" ws], and sub in the MEN Cub wing; what do you think?

Got to close, heading back down to Florida, and then back to Phoenix next week, best regards from 'on da road' Little Joey,

Joe Nagy.

---------------

Yes, the M.E.N. Aeronca C3 used the same undercamber airfoil as the M.E.N. Trainer 20 something.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Yuu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the M. E. N. Trainer just like the one back in post # 12. Wing is red Moneykoat and the fuse is some kind of textured fabric that sheds thread along the fuse edges. The windows are silver paint...which runs with the exhaust mess. With an O. S. .25 on her, she sure is a 'floater'. Touch and go's are easy.... what a great old bird for just wasting a summer evening...or teaching a kid. That highly undercambered wing is the main reason I bought her at a 'Swap'. The guy that built her soldered the wire from the stick to the elevator wire, and it failed. Throttle back and let her float in... not much damage. Don't take off too fast, or she'll JUMP into the air and try to loop right NOW !!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Bob Paris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hay Guys,
Does anyone have a M.E.N Trainer kit that they want to sell ? I have the M.E.N Twin Trainer...and it's gotta be the most gentle flying twin ever kitted...and if flies on a wing...not power.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 05-17-2007, 04:05 PM
ma_mulcahy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is an MEN Trainer kit currently for sale on ebay.... suggest you hurry, auction may end within a day or two.

Mike
Old 05-18-2007, 08:20 AM
GWILLIE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I finally opened this post; I'm looking for plans for the M.E.N. Cub. Can anyone help. Do the plans have the rib templates and a full size side view of the fuselage?

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:44 PM
mrtman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys,
I've been looking for descussion on the MEN trainer, I'm returning to the hobby after about 13 years off and and now with the invention of the internet and RC Universe I've been looking for some of the stuff I flew back in the good o-days. Oh-my if not for the MEN trainer I may have given up learning to fly, that plane was awsome, once my brain could control my thumbs I flew the covering off of that thing, my father set ours up as a tail dragger! so I have no experience flying it any other way. I live in Kansas and remember flying it backward in a 8-10 mph wind. I feel lucky my father who passed away left me a kit, it was never completed because one of the lite ply sides were warped right out of the box, I'll try to straighten it or just saw out another. I can't wait to build and fly one again.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:01 AM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just won an MEN Twin Trainer kit on the Bay. Very nice kit, good wood, and I like the under-cambered wing especially. I bid on it based on the positive comments in this thread. I was thinking a pair of Thunder Tiger 15's, or maybe a pair of Enya .09s? Both turn 8*4 props.

It's a tough life :-)
Old 02-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK, you M.E.N. Trainer fans...I have seen an M.E.N. trainer kit for sale the last three times I was working in Orlando, when I visited Graves R/C Hobbies on the north side of Orlando.

I laid bare eyeballs on it as recently as the end of October 2007. The price was not bad, either...like 40-something bucks, if I remember right. I almost grabbed it, but my hangar and collection is toooooo full right now.

Contact them at:

http://www.gravesrc.com/
Old 05-19-2008, 05:38 AM
john schicker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Chaps i have received a set of plans from Craig Diederich for the M E N Trainer .Many thanks Craig cant wait to build .Regards john schicker from new zealand
Old 08-06-2008, 05:50 AM
WEDJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I still have one in the basement. My Dad started it in the late 70's, never finished it, my son & I finished it 6 or 7 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65086.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1005432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53204.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1005433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33532.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1005434  
Old 01-18-2009, 10:38 PM
hliflight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow, neat to see others remember this plane. I learned to fly with this jewel as well. I had one with an OS Max 25 fp with a Futuba am radio. Sadly i lost the plan, rather my brother lost the plane into a cornfield. I'd love to have one again.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 PM
KitBuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger N2ECW

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

I built one and learned on it as well in the late 70's.. The LHS at the time suggested I sheet the wing from the leading edge to the top spar which I did with 1/16" thick balsa sheet. Plane was very durable and flew great on the Enya .19 I had in it. I would switch from trike to taildragger and back and it flew great both ways.
Mike

-

I flew two or three examples of this model and built and flew my own too. It did not need the extra sheeting. What the kit needed was a lighter fuselage. That lite ply fuselage was unnecessarily heavy.

The airfoil, while great for producing lots of lift at slow speed, resembled a displacement hull boat in that trying to fly it any faster than "enough" was an exercise in futility. Fortunately, I liked the model for its fine low speed performance.

Ed Cregger
Yeah the fuse was heavy (to be read durable) and it was a trainer after all, hence excelling at slow speeds.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Ditchdoc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just bought a 40 trainer kit on ebay but it has the 25 plans in the box( it came from an estate sale). Anyone have the 40 plans and possibly the building manual?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:58 PM
john schicker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi i have the M E N Trainer plans 58 inc wing span 3 channelLength 43 inc Engine size 15-20 MODEL ENGINEERINGOF NORWORK
Regards john[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Ditchdoc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks John but that is the plans that are with my 40 trainer kit. Unfortunately they have different wing spans, the wing type is not the same and the fuselages are different lengths. Also the 40 is a 4 channel kit.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:59 PM
PeterC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gentlemen,
Would somebody please post a picture of the MEN Twin Trainer. I have never seen one and I love twins of all types. If it's a modification of the original MEN Trainer I would like to see what was done and what the final product looks like. I have a set of plans and the assembly manual in my shop and if the mod is not too difficult, build one. The plans and manual could also become available if someone really needs them. I want to see the picture first before I part with the plans.
Peter
Old 02-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Ditchdoc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Peter, I would definately be interested in the plans & manual if the twin thing does not work out. Maybe someone will post a pic. If anyone is interested in the smaller plane with the undercamber wing plans that I have let me know. Just to be clear, the kit I have is the M.E.N. Trainer 40, 52" wing span, 41" length .35-.45 motor, 4 channel. The plans I have are for the MEN Trainer, 58" wing span, 43" length, .15-.20 motor, 2-3 channel
Old 10-17-2009, 02:40 PM
jlnichols

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

to anyone out there I am looking to buy a set of M.E.N. trainer 20 plans Can anyone help me out !!
                                                                                                      Thank you  www.jlnichols@cableone.net
Old 11-17-2010, 10:00 PM
puggie1821

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am still looking for a kit or rvrn a copy of a set of plans for one of these if any one out there has a set please e-mail me at pugdog01@aol.com this would make such a great gift for my handicaped son for christmas thank you
Old 11-17-2010, 10:04 PM
puggie1821

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Score: 100
Last Login: 4/24/2007
Status: online I am still looking for a kit or a copy of a set of plans for one of these if any one out there has a set please e-mail me at pugdog01@aol.com this would make such a great gift for my handicaped son for christmas thank you
Old 11-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Bob Paris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Guys,
I do have a nice flying M.E.N Trainer Twin and its 21 years old. I wore out two Enya .09's and flew it this way for years. What is amazing is that this little twin would fly and maintain altitude on one Enya .09. Next I installed two OS .10's, and it flies even better. Single engine control speed is lower then the stall speed...so even if you had full power on one engine, and you stalled the model...it was fully controlable and fly out on one. I built the kit in Alaska and shipped it here to Hawaii. The undercambered wing flys so slow on two engines...you will not believe you eyes. And for some reason, the twin flew better the single engine verson of this airframe and I've had them both. I'm not taking anything away from the single engine verson, for this too is a very sweet flying model. I added strip flaperons to my model and with a little undercamber change...it would fly even more slowly... : ) With 6 oz's of fuel in each nacell...I could fly for twenty minutes. I installed a more stout tail gear and used Trexler tires on the mains. It handled the dirt runway we used up north with ease and had a nice bounce to it when landing.

The twin verson builds a bit tail heavy, so beef up the nose area a bit with fiberglass cloth. My fuse is 3/4 oz. glass covered, with fiberglass resien and a Rustolium shaker can spray painted finish. This makes for one tough light airframe and it has held up to more then 300 flights. It is a very well thought out model, and very simple and strong. The wing is not a difficult build but was a challange to cover with Super Monocote, as a twin.

The plans show both versions of the model. The kit I had showed a picture of both models models on the box top, and with all the balsa and ply needed, for both. So I built the single engine verson first...then later, rebuilt the wing to be a twin. I just bought a wing kit...and they used to sell just wing kits for this reason.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51788.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1528054