Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

30 SIZE SWIZZLE STICK??? 30 SIZE ???

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

30 SIZE SWIZZLE STICK??? 30 SIZE ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Frank Schwartz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 30 SIZE SWIZZLE STICK??? 30 SIZE ???

All the talk about the 60 size Swizzle Stick has opened the door for more enthusiasts of this type of plane than I thought were out there. I am waiting for the 60 size plans to arrive so I can get them copied for those who want them. AND..I was going through some plans and other things that my buddy, Ken Skelton , and I bought from an old timer who was getting out of the hobby, (I am only 79 years young and still building and flying)....anyhow, I found a complete set of plans for the BALSA USA SWIZZLE STICK 30. Plus a 4 page instruction booklet!! Just like the 40 and bigger ones..but with a 48 inch wing and 8 inch chord. About 384 inches or slightly less due to the curved wing tips. Plans show a .15 on it..my thoughts are that a 15, 19 or at the most a 25 would be fine on it. The plans call for a .15 to a .30, but I suspect a .30 would be almost too much for the size of the plane. Just my opinion, of course. The previous owner has traced all parts not shown on the plans right on the plans. This could easily be a weekend project and I plan to knock one out myself ASAP. I am going to have copies made of this little baby when I get copies of the .60 size Swizzle Stick made. Interesting to note: I just called Balsa USA to ask about this .30 SS and the lady was quite jolly and as she laughed she said that kit was discontinued about 30 years ago with no plans for doing it in the future. Too bad, I said, but that goes along with my first law of life, which is, "Everything Good get Discontinued" (Frank Schwartz's Law #1)
So if anyone is interested, kindly contact me off line at [email protected] and I will get you a copy of this smaller SS at whatever it costs me. I am NOT in the hobby business and do not make a profit on this...just enjoy helping other old timers, scratch builders and lovers of R/C
Frank Schwartz AMA123
in Hendersonville, TN
Old 01-27-2005, 03:32 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 30 SIZE SWIZZLE STICK??? 30 SIZE ???

Frank, I had one of those easily over 30 years ago and flew it with a K&B21 with a Davis Diesel head in it. The only problem with it was it was a ground looper. Don't know what it was but I tweaked that gear and wheel set up infinitely to no avail. Also redid the tail wheel geometry which helped a little. Hate to say it but I hand launched it wuite a bit.
If doing it today I'd do like the competition C/L boys do and make the tail wheel long enough to set the plane at flying attitude. Makes ground handling a lot easier.
Put me down for a set.
Dennis
Old 01-27-2005, 03:35 PM
mvigod
Banned

Swizzle stick was literally the first airplane my fingers ever got ahold of the sticks on. Kind older gentleman at the field asked me if I wanted to try and fly it. Who was I to say no? After that moment about 30 years ago the rc thing was a bug I could never get rid of. Bring on the swizzles!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Frank Schwartz

Swizzle Stick lovers::
I now have copies of the .30 swizzle stick plans and copies of the instruction booklet. Also on the plans the previous owner, drew the dihedral brace and all parts that are not shown, including the template for the two wire landing gear. This is a neat little job and is for three channels. I plan to use an old OS 19 on mine. I have had copies made of all this at Kinkos. My cost for the plans and booklet including local tax is $7.76 and a mailing tube, including tax is $3.81 making a total of $11.57.
If anyone want this set of plans, I will send them to you and you can reimburse me the $11.57 and add whatever postage is on the package to it. when you re-imburse me. I am NOT in the hobby business nor am I doing this for profit. Figuring my time and gasoline for trips to Kinko's and the Post Office, I am losing money.....however, I know how it is with fellow modelers...and it IS worth the time and trouble to do this.
IF you want a set, email me off line directly at [email protected] and I will send them to you. I would prefer it if you do not contact me via R/C Universe for two reasons...one, I am not very computer accomplished and have trouble navigating about in R/C Universe and two, I don't want to load up the bulletin board with requests for plans.
Regards to all,
Frank Schwartz AMA123
in Hendersonville, TN
Old 02-05-2005, 08:26 PM
propjaw
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is to thank Frank Schwartz for his consideration and time to copy and mail out the swizzle stick .30 & .60 plans. He is doing we r/cers a great favor. The swizzle stick brings back a lot of memories as well as a lot of fun. Lets not forget to reimburse him for the copies, mailing tubes and postage. Three cheers for Frank! Thank you
Old 02-12-2005, 02:00 PM
The PIPE

Put me down for the plans and intructions for one of these LITTLE Swizzlers, too, Frank!

Dear Frank Schwartz:

The PIPE Here once again...got the BIG Swizzler-60 plans in the mail late this week...and NOW I hear you've got LITTLE Swizzler-30 plans??? (Payment for the Swiz-60 plans and instructions you've so graciously sent ARE on their way to you!)

"Put me down for a set of the plans AND instructions" for the little Swizzler-30 as well...I'll be ordering those from you in March...it would be a GREAT "smaller brother" for my veteran Swizzler-40, and with a Saito 30 FOUR stroker in the nose, PLENTY of nice power to take it up with and "just fun around" a bit "upstairs" with!

Now I don't "quite" know if I'd want to fit such a SMALL airframe with a semi-symmetrical airfoil, as I AM planning to do with the Swiz-60 (using a Sr. Falcon airfoil on the wing, AND similarly on the redesigned horizontal "Mooney-style" tail I'll design for it)...a small Swiz like the 30 sized one MIGHT be better off with its stock flat-bottom airfoil...but those PITCH TRIM changes with varying throttle settings could be a BEAR on it in flight, like my stock-winged Swiz-40 has ALWAYS been... !!!

Just building the Swiz-30 with VERY light (contest weight) balsa wood in the wing could allow me to build it with a scaled-down Falcon 56 semi-symmetrical airfoil on ITS wing...AND an airfoiled horizontal tail like the Falcon 56 also has (and with the Mooney-style planform shapes I'd like it to have)...but I'm willing to wait until March to START being concerned about all that, as I WOULD like to get those Swiz-30 plans from you then!

Hope you get the payment for the Swiz-60 plans this coming week...and the Swiz-30 plans order will go out to you sometime in March!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 02-19-2005, 10:55 PM
jboy381-RCU

ORIGINAL: avion-RCU

This is to thank Frank Schwartz for his consideration and time to copy and mail out the swizzle stick .30 & .60 plans. He is doing we r/cers a great favor. The swizzle stick brings back a lot of memories as well as a lot of fun. Lets not forget to reimburse him for the copies, mailing tubes and postage. Three cheers for Frank! Thank you
i'm with you avion...

thanks you frank...

has any one built one yet???i'm going to start on it as soon as the plan arrives...hope to have it done by mid spring...

john
Old 02-20-2005, 02:44 AM
Frank Schwartz

I am sending out the last set of SS30 plans that I had made. No more available for a while, unless there is enough interest to warrant going into town and getting Kinko's to run sets of them..then to the post office and buy mailing tubes and all that stuff. Don't get the idea that I mind..always happy to help out fellow modelers, but I prefer not to do them one at a time, doncha know.
AND, I have just about finished two of them. One for a buddy with standard size servos and an old OS19 RC in it. I painted the fuse with red Rustoleum (bullet proof as far as fuel is concerned)(brush on..takes two coats) and monokoted the tail feathers and wing. I am using an old Fox 19RC in mine with (don't laugh) an old Hobby Lobby 3 channel unit that ALWAYS works and it's on 27 mhz. OK, I have new radios, but the fun is using the oldies and amazing the "buy and fly" newbies at the flying field. I also used golden rods for the rudder and elevator and secure them with those screw in eyes (a screw with a loop in it) that you get at any hardware store. You spread them a bit and they hold the blue golden rod nicely. I use two on each one. Any particular questions that anyone has please contact me directly via email. I can take JPG pictures if needed. I also figured out how to add a steerable tail wheel on the two I made. My buddies is finished and hehopes to fly it tomorrow. Mine will be done by tomorrow night....... I think a 15 is plenty of power. I used to fly the heck out of a Pronto with a 15 and it would loop from level flight..but I had the 19's and wanted to get them into something.
Regards to all Swizzle Stick Lovers
Old 02-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Frank Schwartz

Some final thoughts on the SS30. I finished two of them last week. Monokote on the wing and tail surfaces. Rustoleum brush on red on the stick portion. Totally fuel proof and if you can wait until it is hard enough to sand, you can get a nice slick finish with a couple of coats. We flew both of them most of today (Sunday). One has an old OS20 and the other has a Fox 19 RC. TOO MUCH POWER! I used a steerable tail wheel on them both. I also suggest you cut the rudder bottom at more of a slant if you want to get a wee bit more up elevator. Once we got them in the air, we had to fly them at half throttle for decent flight. And we can do a tight loop at this half power from level flight. Therefore, I suggest to those that build this one that they use any old .15 for good flying. We are going to take off the 19 and 20 and put on some old .15s my buddy and I have lying around. A 15 is shown on the plans and I am convinced that anything larger than a .15 is just too much.
Oh, what radios? A JR on the one with the OS20 and full size servos. An old Hobby Lobby 3 channel on the one with the Fox 19. Lotsa fun... why the old Hobby Lobby? Well, it still works just great, so why not????
Regards to all.....
Old 08-25-2006, 10:37 PM
SoonerAce

Hope your still around, and still have the plans! Youve got mail!
Old 09-02-2006, 01:42 PM
nanavion46

Hi Frank,

Many thanks for being kind enough to make the .60 and .30 size Swizzle Stick plans available. That was very nice and considerate of you. I have sent you a direct email, as requested, to order a set of the .30 size plans. I have built a couple of the .40 size Swizzle Sticks over the past 30 years or so. I, also, have had a set of .60 size plans for about 15 years.

nanavion46
Old 09-02-2006, 03:52 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Over thirty years ago I put together a Quik Stik from RCM plans. It had an OS .20 engine with a Perry carb and an aftermarket muffler. It was a converted control line engine. They used wings from a Jr. BoxFly. This is the same plane as the Swizzle Stick. It came in three sizes if memory serves. RCM plans service should still have them if they're still in operation.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:11 PM
rverbrugge

Hello Frank,

I hope you can help me. I have my dad's old swizzle stick 30 and have all of the plans except for the side view of the fuselage. I can trace the plane on a sheet of paper because it is in fine shape, but I don't have the CG location range. I don't want you to have to make a special run to copy the plans for me but wonder if you would tell me how far back it is from the top of the "Windshield" (leading edge of the wing)? That would help me a ton.

You are an inspiration that 2 years ago you were 79 and still flying. My dad is in his late 60s and is getting out of it just because he's not confident in his eyesight.

Thanks a bunch,
Russ
Old 11-09-2007, 11:20 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in my early sixties and I'm having problems similar to your father (uncontrollable diabetes wreaks havoc with one's vision).

I've decided to fly low and slow (always my favorite anyway) and to forsake the powerful screamers that I enjoyed in years past. Believe it or not, I'm enjoying the slower planes a lot more than I thought I would. Maybe Pop needs to slow down a bit too? <G>

I built a Swizzle Stick in 1982. Got the kit on a Tuesday, and the next Tuesday it flew its maiden flight. Time after that at the flying field my wife flew it and conscripted it for herself (made me smile). I powered my - er, here .40 size Swizzle Stick, with an old ST G21/35. It was grossly overpowered, but the wife liked it that way. Nice plane.

I just won another Swizzle Stick 40 on eBay. This one will be powered by a much slower flying model Diesel engine.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Yuu

rverbrugge...mount the wing on the fuse.....then mark the fuse just under the wing spar. That's about the CG... then adjust 1/4" forward or backward each flight....or, just leave it CG on the spar.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:30 PM
lylec

Originally Posted by Frank Schwartz
All the talk about the 60 size Swizzle Stick has opened the door for more enthusiasts of this type of plane than I thought were out there. I am waiting for the 60 size plans to arrive so I can get them copied for those who want them. AND..I was going through some plans and other things that my buddy, Ken Skelton , and I bought from an old timer who was getting out of the hobby, (I am only 79 years young and still building and flying)....anyhow, I found a complete set of plans for the BALSA USA SWIZZLE STICK 30. Plus a 4 page instruction booklet!! Just like the 40 and bigger ones..but with a 48 inch wing and 8 inch chord. About 384 inches or slightly less due to the curved wing tips. Plans show a .15 on it..my thoughts are that a 15, 19 or at the most a 25 would be fine on it. The plans call for a .15 to a .30, but I suspect a .30 would be almost too much for the size of the plane. Just my opinion, of course. The previous owner has traced all parts not shown on the plans right on the plans. This could easily be a weekend project and I plan to knock one out myself ASAP. I am going to have copies made of this little baby when I get copies of the .60 size Swizzle Stick made. Interesting to note: I just called Balsa USA to ask about this .30 SS and the lady was quite jolly and as she laughed she said that kit was discontinued about 30 years ago with no plans for doing it in the future. Too bad, I said, but that goes along with my first law of life, which is, "Everything Good get Discontinued" (Frank Schwartz's Law #1)
So if anyone is interested, kindly contact me off line at [email protected] and I will get you a copy of this smaller SS at whatever it costs me. I am NOT in the hobby business and do not make a profit on this...just enjoy helping other old timers, scratch builders and lovers of R/C
Frank Schwartz AMA123
in Hendersonville, TN
would like a copy of the stick 30 plans. [email protected]