Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

LOOKING FOR OLD SIG KITS

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

LOOKING FOR OLD SIG KITS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:48 PM
HVACMAN
My Feedback: (127)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOOKING FOR OLD SIG KITS

I am looking for old sig kits, COLT,SCAMP,ect .09-.15 sized sport/trainer with foam wings and balsa fuse. anyone have one stuffed away?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:01 AM
fokker20planes

Default RE: LOOKING FOR OLD SIG KITS

HVACMAN, have you tried rc universe or ebay? At ebay you can have them email you when one comes up for sale. I have been receiving emails for over a year to these same kits you mention, although I'm not really interested in buying one. I'm just curious what they sell for. As a matter of fact a scamp just sold yesterday although it was mostly built. I have a very old and rough set of plans of the scamp that I used (for reference) to help me scratch build a supersport shaped fuse. Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:32 PM
HVACMAN

Tom, I will try ebay tonight, if you run across any others keep me in mind.
Thanks,Rob
Old 03-24-2005, 04:06 PM
dls
My Feedback: (113)

Sig still lists the molded foam wing on their website, they had the landing gear, plans & instruction books listed in their catalog, may still be available
Old 03-24-2005, 04:29 PM
fokker20planes

The last time I asked Sig (Maybe 5 years ago they had no supersport plans and supposedly I bought there last Scamp plans. However dls that still is a good idea. All it would cost is a phone call. Are you interested in scratch building Rob? I will say you will have to guess on a few items such as stab and fin dimensions. These were not complete on the plans I got.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:53 PM
HVACMAN

I like to scratch build, would you consider selling a copy of your super sport plans? I have a line on a wing. Rob
Old 03-24-2005, 11:02 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I know someone who said he has 2 Scamp kits. I asked if he would sell me one, but he's yet to give me a price. I've still got the plans from the one I built many years ago.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:01 AM
fokker20planes

Rob, give me a few days and I will see what I can come up with on the plans. No charge If I can find them.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:21 PM
airbatic

I have a Colt.

Kraus
Old 03-28-2005, 04:15 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: airbatic

I have a Colt.

Kraus
Not me, but I've got a Springfield Armory

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:09 AM
HVACMAN

Can I deal you out of it?
Old 04-01-2005, 06:54 AM
fokker20planes

FYI Rob, there is a Sig Colt for sale on ebay. Did not know if you were still looking.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:49 PM
HVACMAN

Thanks for the heads up tom, I bid on it.
Rob
Old 04-14-2005, 10:51 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Looking for old sig kits

I have the liberty beplne of sig with sito 65 on never flown

of my father

sorry for my bad english
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24524.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	258120  

Last edited by JWN; 04-20-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:16 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

I know someone who said he has 2 Scamp kits. I asked if he would sell me one, but he's yet to give me a price. I've still got the plans from the one I built many years ago.
Well, nearly a year later, I'm going to get a Scamp! Supposed to pick it up on Sunday.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:10 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

If you have an interest in some Sig scale kits, I have a Sig Clipped Wing Cub and a Sig Zlin Acrobat, both NIB. Lee
Old 01-05-2006, 10:12 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I have the Cessna 170. It was a Berkeley kit. Sig bought it and only produced it a couple of years.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:54 AM
fokker20planes

Congrats on winning the Scamp piper chuck. All of those old foam wing kits from Sig flew pretty well. I've had 2 Supersports and have flown the Colt and Klipper owned by a friend of mine. They were good cheap (price) flying models.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:09 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

PiperChuck- you'll like the Scamp. I built & flew the entire series and the Scamp was the best one by far. Mine had an Enya .19, wore it out and built another.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:20 AM
piper_chuck

Tom and Low Rider, I know I'll like the Scamp, it's what I learned on. I've wanted to build another for quite a while. My original one, pictured, was built to specs as a 3 channel and had an Enya .15. I have lots of fond memories of slow flying, barrel rolls, and touch and gos where I would put it down on the mains, stay on the runway for a little while and then takeoff again. I will modify this one a bit by adding ailerons and it will probably get an OS .30 four stroke. I've also got a spare .15, but I really want to get the four stroke back in the air.

The funny thing is I also ended up acquiring a Colt that's now on its way to me. I'll probably use the .15 and also build that with ailerons and then make it available for some club training.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79175.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	382059  
Old 01-06-2006, 09:37 AM
fokker20planes

The four stroke sounds like a really interesting engine choice. The aileron mod also sounds cool. I don't recall anyone putting ailerons on one but some of the original foam wings had cut-outs for ailerons. Post pictures when building has commenced!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:46 PM
piper_chuck

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the 4 stroke. I think it'll work great. Over the years, several people have told me they did the aileron mod in the Scamp and other planes that used the same wing. From what I've learned it is usually done by cutting out a barn door shaped aileron somewhere out on the wing. I believe balsa needs to be added to the wing and aileron so the hinges have something to stick to. Then people will either mount individual servos, or a center one with a flexible pushrod buried in a slot in the wing. I haven't decided which way to go yet, but I definitely want to keep the weight down. My guess right now is I'll go the individual servo route, using something small. This will also let me play with flaperons. I do need to be careful to not get carried away. The thing I remember liking best about this plane was its simplicity.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 PM
piper_chuck

Got my Scamp today. Have to put decals on an ARF that I just finished, clear the building bench and then I'll get started on it. I covered the wing of my first one with Econokote. I've actually still got that roll and there's probably still enough for another wing. Any better choices these days?
Old 01-09-2006, 06:37 AM
fokker20planes

I think Towerkote will work but I have not been real happy with it. The layers (color and plastic) have seperated on me over time requiring a recovering job. I've always liked Econokote.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Jeff Foley
My Feedback: (45)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting to know that there is still interest in the Colt, Scamp, Super Sport and Klipper. Funny thing is......now that we have lightweight radio equipment, wheels, etc., it was decided to discontinue the line. The prototype Colt flew with three KPS-15 Kraft servos, a huge receiver and battery pack......not to mention the heavy dubro wheels. Oh...to have had what we have got today! I could have shaved at least 8-10 ounces off of the weight. I still have Colt kit serial #1 in the attic and another stashed away for a someday build. Those were the good ole' days!

Jeff Foley
Former Sig Product Engineer and designer of the Colt.

PS......None of this series had full size plans. You didn't need them.....the parts outline was printed directly on the wood and the wing was molded. The instruction book showed most of these parts in a reduced scale. Since Sig discontinued this model, I have toyed with the idea of doing a limited run of a "updated" version.....if I can find the wings. Laser cut parts, full size plans and perhaps...a built up wing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.