Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Discontinued Sig Kits

Old 07-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Midnightpromises

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Discontinued Sig Kits

Built my All Star Bipe also with a Fox .15 back in 1994. Once I got the hang of the take off run it was quite fun to fly. In step dives the top wing would pull back the rubber bands and do a wild maneuver! Landings were quick and loopy but the plane was quite rugged. I still have it in storage, a bright little neon green fun machine.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:35 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Liberty Sport would be my favorite
Old 09-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Skynutt

Love to see the Komander and the Cessna 150 and just KITS in general, I still like to build!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:57 PM
ochsnm00

Komet 60 sized pattern plane
Old 03-04-2014, 10:37 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Y'all might wanna check the SIG website - definitely looks like they're discontinuing nearly their entire line of kits, ARF's too.

That, and the fact that dope is nearly unobtainable anymore, looks like SIG is on the way out.

Fox engines also have nearly everything on BIG sale right now. They've already announced that they're cutting production.

SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been flying SIG kits with Fox engines for 40+ years - - got my original Kadet Mk-1 from 1973 still in the air with a Fox .45
Old 03-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Y'all might wanna check the SIG website - definitely looks like they're discontinuing nearly their entire line of kits, ARF's too.

That, and the fact that dope is nearly unobtainable anymore, looks like SIG is on the way out.

Fox engines also have nearly everything on BIG sale right now. They've already announced that they're cutting production.

SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been flying SIG kits with Fox engines for 40+ years - - got my original Kadet Mk-1 from 1973 still in the air with a Fox .45
Wow, where is all this doom and gloom coming from? I don't see any of this at their web site. In fact, many ARF's are now available once again and new ones have been introduced over the last year. Most regular kits show in stock along with most accessories, etc. Visiting with some of the SIG people over the last year indicated they were in pretty good shape, especially compared to the last few years when things were very tight. Unless there is something going on that I don't know about, things have been looking up at SIG lately.

Regarding dope, that is available from quite a few outlets including SIG, Randolph, Brodak, etc. Available from both model and full scale outlets. When I was still using the stuff (new wife no longer permits the odor) I always bought it from full scale outlets anyway. Such as Aircraft Spruce, etc. Certainly no shortage at the current time though there has been at times in the past.

Fox has had problems for years. Its hard to stay in business with expensive labor costs and dated designs. They still have a loyal following but even their C/L following has dwindled away to a large degree. They somehow hang on and they've had some sort of "BIG" sale going on every time I've visited their website over the last several years.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Originally Posted by injunnut1
I too like the little Aero Bipe by Sig ..... I built and flew one in the mid seventies, it was powered with an OS Max .10 engine and used the single actuator by Rand to control all three functions (rudder / elevator / throttle) ...... I reckon this was better known as 'Galloping Ghost'! I wonder if the Sig Mfg 'Aero Bipe' plans are available out there anywhere?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to see the Kommander come back also. Another favorite of mine from years ago is the little Aero Bipe. I had at least 2 of them and loved that little plane.
Dennis
Hello,
I have a Aerobipe Sig Craftsman Kit # RC 25 with 34" wingspan still New in the Box. I bought it in 1977. I'll check it out after my eye surgery (tomorrow) and see about getting the plans reproduced FULL SIZE.

Regards,
Ken AMA 1528
Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by injunnut1
I too like the little Aero Bipe by Sig ..... I built and flew one in the mid seventies, it was powered with an OS Max .10 engine and used the single actuator by Rand to control all three functions (rudder / elevator / throttle) ...... I reckon this was better known as 'Galloping Ghost'! I wonder if the Sig Mfg 'Aero Bipe' plans are available out there anywhere?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to see the Kommander come back also. Another favorite of mine from years ago is the little Aero Bipe. I had at least 2 of them and loved that little plane.
Dennis
I have an Aero Bipe kit and will probably not get to it ever. Anyone interested in taking it of my hands shoot me an email. I'm getting too old I guess.

Dennis
Old 04-17-2014, 12:51 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dennis
Anyone interested in taking it of my hands shoot me an email. I'm getting too old I guess.

Dennis
Ditto my Sig Steen SkyBolt.

A PM will do..

Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 AM
John in Boston
My Feedback: (1)

How about a AT-6 / SNJ Texan!
Back in the 1960's Santa Claus left a SIG AT-6/SNJ control-line scale kit for me under the Christmas tree.

Scale: 3/4" to the foot, 31" span. Spun aluminum cowl, gorgeous decals, hefty hardware, lots of lumber, great stuff.

Challenging for me to build ---too challenging, in fact, and I never finished it--- but I actually still do have some of the parts from it.

Years later I came to learn that its origins are a Cal Smith design published in one of the model magazines wayyyy back when; Berkley later developed it into a kit, and it was one of series in that scale, a P-47, an F8F Bearcat, a FW-190, and other similarly EXCITING airplanes!

Today's digital plan-scanning fraternity has made many of these designs available through the usual sources.

Last edited by John in Boston; 04-25-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by John in Boston
How about a AT-6 / SNJ Texan!
Back in the 1960's Santa Claus left a SIG AT-6/SNJ control-line scale kit for me under the Christmas tree.

Scale: 3/4" to the foot, 31" span. Spun aluminum cowl, gorgeous decals, hefty hardware, lots of lumber, great stuff.

Challenging for me to build ---too challenging, in fact, and I never finished it--- but I actually still do have some of the parts from it.

Years later I came to learn that its origins are a Cal Smith design published in one of the model magazines wayyyy back when; Berkley later developed it into a kit, and it was one of series in that scale, a P-47, an F8F Bearcat, a FW-190, and other similarly EXCITING airplanes!

Today's digital plan-scanning fraternity has made many of these designs available through the usual sources.
I have the Sig AT-6/SNJ kit down in the baement. I bought it in the late '60s and never built it. All I did was take the top off the box but never unpacked it. It is one of the most complete kits I have seen. It includes silkspan, great hardware, and metal hubed ruber wheels. Someday I will have to build it. I even have a NIB Fox 36 I was going to use it. When I got involved with RC not long after buying it I just seemed to forget about CL planes.

Bruce
Old 10-03-2016, 02:33 PM
vdubin64
My Feedback: (3)

I picked up a beautiful Morrisey Bravo over the weekend.. She's been around a long time, but has only flown once (test flight).. It has some really old (brick) servos in it, that I will be upgrading before flight, along with the old school 72 band receiver.. Wheel pants aren't even scuffed.. It's powered by a Quadra gasoline engine (looks brand new).. I tried to upload a picture via mobile device, but I'm not having any luck.. I'll give it a shot on my desktop when I get a chance.. Great thread by the way..!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	giant scale Morissey.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2184455  

Last edited by vdubin64; 10-04-2016 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:28 PM
bigbird3

Nice! Would love to have a morrisey bravo kit. Perhaps someone has one that would be willing to part with it.
Any takers?
bird.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:18 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would love to see the Mustang 450 kit come back.

Bob

Name:	lg-903864-0-7170.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	2184459  

Last edited by sensei; 10-04-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:43 AM
vdubin64

Morissey picture added !!
Old 10-04-2016, 10:47 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vdubin64
I picked up a beautiful Morrisey Bravo over the weekend.. She's been around a long time, but has only flown once (test flight).. It has some really old (brick) servos in it, that I will be upgrading before flight, along with the old school 72 band receiver.. Wheel pants aren't even scuffed.. It's powered by a Quadra gasoline engine (looks brand new).. I tried to upload a picture via mobile device, but I'm not having any luck.. I'll give it a shot on my desktop when I get a chance.. Great thread by the way..!!

Check out this pic, taken at the Flying Pilgrims recent giant scale event.

Name:	ASTK0303.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	2184456  
Old 10-04-2016, 10:51 AM
vdubin64

Wow, I've never seen so many Bravo's all in one location .. It's like a family reunion.. Haha !!
Old 10-10-2016, 06:28 AM
buzzard bait

Nice to see so much interest in the little Aerobipe. One showed up at our annual Biplanes Over Ithaca event and it was really pretty.

I sold a "Baron's Buggy" kit awhile ago that was an almost identical earlier kit. I concluded I could do a better job scratch building one...pretty simple. Here are the Aerobipe plans...http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4092

I think kit cutters are the way to go. The problem is often landing gear. There are many canopies available from Sig, Great Planes, many ARFs and Parkflyerplastics. I agree that Sig will not be bringing back the planes. I would be nice if they continued to stock landing gear and such for the old designs. For example, the old Kadet Jr. was a great little plane, but I just made up wire gear for mine because Sig doesn't carry the original gear.

Jim
Old 10-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Truckracer

TnT landing gear will make any gear you could ever want if they don't have what you need in stock. I used them for all sizes of sheet aluminum LG. They're not speedy to deliver (several weeks) but they are reliable, excellent quality at an OK price.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Truckracer

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Check out this pic, taken at the Flying Pilgrims recent giant scale event.
Wow that's a very impressive sight seeing all those Bravo's in one place. Especially impressive for a model of a home built that for most purposes was a failure. If anyone would ever want to see Sig's full scale plane, it still exists at the Antique Airplane Association field in Blakesburg, Iowa.

The SIG kit is getting very hard to find these days and is one of the most sought after SIG kits, right up there with the Ryan.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:08 PM
TFF

Thats more Bravo's than real ones were made.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:23 PM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Nice to see so much interest in the little Aerobipe. One showed up at our annual Biplanes Over Ithaca event and it was really pretty.

I sold a "Baron's Buggy" kit awhile ago that was an almost identical earlier kit. I concluded I could do a better job scratch building one...pretty simple. Here are the Aerobipe plans...http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4092

I think kit cutters are the way to go. The problem is often landing gear. There are many canopies available from Sig, Great Planes, many ARFs and Parkflyerplastics. I agree that Sig will not be bringing back the planes. I would be nice if they continued to stock landing gear and such for the old designs. For example, the old Kadet Jr. was a great little plane, but I just made up wire gear for mine because Sig doesn't carry the original gear.

Jim
Jim, speaking of parkfliersplastics, I recently, as in several months ago, sent them a plaster plug of the gold edition P-39 air cobra canopy. he cleaned it up and now offers it in his canopy line for ten bucks. just in case anyone is interested. great planes doesn't offer it anymore. Not a bad deal considering others would ask much more. If any of you have a decent canopy from way past and it can be used to copy, contact him and arrange to send it to him. He uses great tough plastic and they are reasonable. He has a lot of them falcon56, skylark 56,aeromaster, spitfire, pika duelist 40- 60 you name it! Check it out. He makes a resen plug, plaster makes a poor plug. I traded the plaster plug for two 'pulls' , not good quality but he told me so before hand but I wanted them anyway. Good enough fo what I needed. Didn't chaqrge me for shipping. Nice guy to deal with.
bird

Last edited by bigbird3; 10-10-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:55 PM
buzzard bait

Yes, I've bought canopies from him too and the prices and quality are very good. Nice to hear about the Airacobra canopy. Good point about sending him canopies. I hope someone will send him one for a Sr. Falcon!

Jim