Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Early RC Models - Exceptional Service

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Early RC Models - Exceptional Service

Old 06-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early RC Models - Exceptional Service

About a month ago, my dad asked me if I could find a vintage model for him. He wanted a Livewire Champ, the early Hal DeBolt design. He said that it was one of the first models he ever had and that he had found a kit a few years ago and built it. He said that it was even better than the first because of the improvements in engines and radios since the early days. Someone saw him flying it and offered him far more that it was worth so he sold it. A few months later, the guy offered to sell it back to him for a fraction of the original price so he bought it. He flew it for awhile and a second guy bought it.

About four (4) years ago, my dad decided to get out of model airplanes because he had nobody to fly with. He sold some of what he had and gave me his old radios and an old Fox engine. Last September, just before his eightieth birthday, my dad sold his business and retired. He has been basically sedintary since that time. Now he wants to get active again and feels that getting back into R/C models is the way to do it. His mind is still perfect and he is still good with his hands. He said that he Champ is so easy to fly that he knows he can still handle it.

I expected someone to have one of the old kits stashed on a shelf somewhere and be willing to part with it. I had already found one kit that he recommended by searching for it on the internet. A search for the Champ turned up nothing. There was nothing in the RCU Marketplace and nothing on eBay. I started following every link from my search on Google and found that a new business called Early RC Models was selling laser-cut reproductions of the Livewire Champ. Changes to the design were suggested by Hal DeBolt before he passed away. The recommended changes were to improve production and make the model a little easier to build while maintaining the flight characteristics.

I sent email to Bob Harris at Early RC Models and got no response so I kept searching until I got a phone number. I called them on Wednesday and talked to Elizabeth Harris. She was very pleasant and more than willing to help. She checked and they had one kit in stock. I asked her to hold it for me and I would send a check. Bob responded to my email and told me that he had not responded because his computer had had problems the day before. He was using an older computer and had no idea how reliable it would be. I sent him a second email and formally placed the order for the kit. I sent a personal check Thursday night even though the payment description on the web page states that delivery would be held for seven (7) to ten (10) days to allow time for the check to clear. I was hoping for a miracle so that my dad would get the kit for Fathers Day.

Today, I received an email from Elizabeth stating that the kit had already been shipped to my dad. She said that they wanted to be sure that there was sufficient time for the kit to arrive before Fathers Day. I consider this to be exceptional service, far beyond what I ever expected. She even wrote on the outside of the package, "Do not open till Fathers Day" just in case he gets it before that day. It may be obvious that I am elated with the service that I got.

They have several vintage models available now, some of which were very popular during their beginnings. I suggest that if anyone is looking for a vintage model, check them out at [link=http://www.earlyrcmodels.com]Early RC models[/link].

Standard Disclaimer: I am not associated with Early RC models in any way other than being an extremely satisfied customer.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Lightfoot

Default RE: Early RC Models - Exceptional Service

I went to visit my dad on Fathers Day so I got a chance to examine the kit from Early RC Models. The quality of the wood is exceptional. All of the pieces are straight and fine grain. The laser cutting is very impressive. There is just enough stock left in each piece to hold it firmly in the skeleton but the pieces can be removed easily. The plans and instructions are also very good quality. I don't think my dad could be more pleased with any kit he could have gotten.

He was anxious to get started on it but had no CA. I tried to get him to start building with Titebond but he said that he had grown accustomed to pinning parts down then just zipping the parts together with CA.

There are other larger model companies who offer high quality and service but none with which I have experience exceed that of this small company. The combination of service and quality of Early RC Models is to be experienced to be believed.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Howard,

I know Bob myself. Not only does he offer great kits but he is without question a great guy.

LAter,
Tim
Old 06-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Lightfoot

Based on my experience with Bob and Elizabeth, I am not at all surprised to hear that.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:23 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

I am probably the current record holder for the most Early RC kits built/ owned. I have built nine of their kits eight of which I own. I have always been very pleased with the quality of the wood and the laser cutting and I can honestly say that my Sr Falcon is the best flying plane I have ever owned! I am proud to call Bob and Elizabeth friends and I would recommend their kits to anyone even if they have never had an interest in vintage designs before.

Brian