Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Don Dewey Wayfarer Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Don Dewey Wayfarer Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don Dewey Wayfarer Questions

I have a Wayfarer biplane than I bought used. I'm not sure if it's from plans or a Svenson Kit. Can anyone tell me the CG for it? Also, I'm considering putting an OS 52 four stroke or an OS 46 FX on it. Any suggestions on either? I'm leaning on putting the four stroke on it. If do, I currently have an APC 11x6 on it. Will that work?

I tried to call RCM to buy a set of plans for her, but no one answered yesterday. I hope they just took the day off. I'm trying to figure out how the outside struts connect to the wings. I've improvised a system myself, but curiosity is getting to me.

Any comments on flight characteristics would be appreaciated too.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:36 AM
DRCRAIG
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Don Dewey Wayfarer Questions

Bruno,
The Wayfarer is a great flying bipe. I would go with the 52 FS for power. I scratch built one years ago and still have the plans. I have the February '72 issue of RCM and can make a copy of the construction article if you like. My Wayfarer was powered by an OS 40 FSR and was almost overpowered. The plan shows the CG at 2" behind the leading edge of the lower wing. The struts should have a tab on the top and bottom that plugs into a slot at the third ribs in from the tip.
As far as RCM is concerned, they are at least 2 months late with the next issue - I have to wonder if they're still in business. It would be a shame to lose what was once such a predominate force in R/C.
Have a great weekend,
Craig
Old 08-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Bruno Stachel

Thanks Craig,

Did/do you bolt down your Wayfarer struts?

Sorry to hear that about RCM. I used to love to flip through their mag. I bought a few planes from them too.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:47 PM
DRCRAIG
My Feedback: (31)

Bruno,
The struts just plug in and stay put because the wings are firmly attached.
I hope RCM is okay - don't take what I said to be more than thinking out loud.
Let me know how you like the Wayfarer after you fly it.
Craig
Old 08-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Bruno Stachel

[:@]Ah shoot! Well, mine's over engineered now. I attached plywood tabs to the slotted ribs, drilled holes and added blind nuts. When I first got this plane, I wondered if the struts just plugged in. (The previous owner didn't really know much about it either.) I assumed that was too good to be true. I guess I'll remove the tabs. This bird has been around, and probably doesn't need the extra weight or drag.

I noticed a thread in the Clubhouse about RCM. It seems many have been wondering about the magazine's future. I will try to contact them again tomorrow. If I don't have any luck, I'll PM you about getting a copy of the construction article. Thanks again for your help Craig.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Bruno Stachel

Oh man, I like this plane! I managed to fly her 5 times yesterday. I totally expected to have a tough time flying this plane. It's my first biplane, and it was a touch windy. But she tracked down the runway straight and true. ( I think I accidently put a degree or two of right thrust when I mounted my OS 52 FS.) No trim adjustments were needed, except for a fair amount of down trim. (I guess I underestimated how much lift those two wings would provide. I also think the OS 52 is at the upper range of engine sizes for this bird.) I put her through some basic aerobatics - loops, rolls, cuban 8's, hammerheads and some side slips. She handled them well. I could not get her to tip stall. She slowed down and just mushed forward. Cool! As a matter of fact, I felt like I was flying a trainer when I slowed her down. She greased in on a most of my landing approaches.

I managed to fly her some more tonight. This time I had a gusty cross wind. A little trickier, but still fairly simple to fly. One landing looked like I was tickling the grass with the wheels before she settled in after a flare. It's a shame this plane isn't kitted. But I do have the plans ordered from RCM.

And that leads me to another question. Any of you that know this plane; does it's flight characteristics resemble the Sig Hog Bipe's in any way? I actually thought it was a Hog Bipe when I first saw a pic of it. But of course she's much smaller. I've seen and heard so many positives about the Hog Bipe. This is making me wonder. Hmm.

Dr Craig, thanks for your help.

Frank
Old 10-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Bruno Stachel

I finally took some pics of the Wayfarer. (I left the rubber bands off the top wing for the pictures. If I ever build one of these, I'll try to use bolts.)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28218.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	333626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83678.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	333627  
Old 10-04-2005, 02:24 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Bruno;

Greatings from Thong Beach Florida.

Just a point of interest; the Wayfare Bipe was discussed herein many moons ago. RCM published it in the 2/72 issue, plan # 482; then in the 4/73 issue published the Acro Star Bipe, plan # 525. The 2 Bipes are virually identical, but the Acro Star is dressed up for the prom with wheel pants, bolt on wings vs rubber bands. So if you wanted to customize your Wayfarer, check out the Acro Star article, either way they are great flying bipes for sure. Best regards from Manasota Key, Englewood, Florida,

Joe Nagy.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Bruno Stachel

Thanks Joe. Actually I considered the Acro Star plans at one time. I think it's a great looking bipe. For moment I thought my Wayfarer was an Acro Star.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:02 AM
arronw10

i have one of these planes and i installed 2 bolts on the botom wing and 3 on the top and made some spruce struts i also made them so they fasen on with a nut and bolt
Old 05-03-2011, 11:49 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

arronw10, this thread is six years old. But then I still have a Wayfarer biplane I built in 1975 from a Svenson kit. I am in the process of refinishing it and will be putting back in the Enya .45 that originally powered it. It is a great flying plane.

Bruce
Old 05-03-2011, 01:11 PM
arronw10

yer ino but every peice of data can help some 1 else i only came across the thread because i couldnt find the c of g any were els on any other forum and i am going to fly mine for the first time some time this week fingers crossed it comes back in 1 peice as i have never flown a bipe befor