Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Canard Stick Plans

Skitimberlake: Wish I could have been there. High Adventure...

Tom: Love the photo's, well done. Even the scalloped elevator looked good. Did your model require much lead in the nose?

I used to have, well I guess I still do since it's out in the barn (in one piece), a SIG Tri-Star. In truth the model flew well the two (count em) times I was able to get it off the ground with the engine running and was just right for me with an OS 15FP. Where it was terrible was in the ground handling and weight department.
    The model bounced around like crazy on takeoff often resulting in a prop/ground strikes and it needed 6 oz. of lead in the nose just to balance. It would sometimes flip because of aileron/nose gear coupling and has grind marks on the canopy top. The fuse needs to be stretched about 6 inches (radio gear plus a nose wheel servo in front) and the landing gear needs to be heavier.

I liked this model though. Any thoughts on this bird? It looks pretty robust...

regards - Steve B.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skitimberlake here. Update on my Canard Stick. It is now in some pieces (but repairable with effort) as a result of an "experiment".

It flew pretty well stock (see previous posts), but I had trouble holding up nose in slower roll rate rolling circles. If my roll rate was fast at 1 per sec or thereabouts, I could manage them. RESULT - Big circle, lots and lots of faster rolls than I desired.

So I decided to put on a FRONT mounted "flying rudder". I mounted it directly on the nosewheel gear. I did the sum of aerodynamic moments about the plane's CG and sized the front flying rudder to be such that I had about twice as much fin area times distance from CG hanging behind the CG (those twin vertical fins) as I did front flying rudder area times its moment arm to the nosegear. Although I recognized that front rudder is inherently unstable (no proper restoring force for a yawing movement), I thought I had enough rear fin area in rear to compensate. (front rudder was about 20.6 sq inches)

Weeelll, shucks, it did not happen that way.

Plane took off fine, did one aileron turn to right fine, and on initial aileron left turn made downwind, it started to yaw right & roll and become unstable. (I believe the yaw to the right was initiated by its "normal" adverse yaw that was exhibited previously, which then became accentuated OOC by front flying rudder.) Max "rudder" movement had little effect to correct or restore stability. Plane wanted to sort of flat spin spin and couple a rolling moment in with the spin. I "saved" it twice, but the third recovery just did not happen. 'Twas an interesting 8 or 9 seconds or so after the problem manifested itself. Instant adrenaline rush. Hope I don't get poison ivy from retrieving the plane...

Well I mused all day and the eve about how my calculations were off. What I realized today was that in using Van Putte's approximations, fuselage side area was ignored. If I include fuselage side area as equiv to an effective vertical fin, I find that instead of the 20 sq in or so of front rudder that I used, I could only stand about 9 sq in for front rudder to achieve neutral stability (sum of moments = 0). Ooops !

So, I do plan to rebuiild and repair, and reinstall another front flying rudder, this one about 2/3 smaller (6 - 7 sq inches). Look for reports n the fall.

Suggestions anyone ?

Skitimberlake

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hanging in my garage is my mostly-finished, greatly modified version of an RCM plans model called the ****wkcab. It is a canarded Biplane, with a tractor prop just forward of the main wings and twin vertical rudders. The prop you see in the link was a dummy, hanging on the back of the fuse. I think all mine needs is fuselage covering and mounting the electronics and motor. I wonder if those plans are still here, or if I'll need to contact RCM for another set. But then the problem is that I changed the stagger of the main wings by 2 inches, rounded the fuselage, changed the "nose" considerably, removed that dummy tail, added more sweep to the canard, . . . . .
    Ain't flying great?!?!?
    Just remember, if it was easy, everyone would be a TopGun pilot.
    bad0daddy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hay Tom,
    That is very nice work...and I would love to see a picture of the finished model. I'm back home from Asia...and I pulled my kit out. Yep...I bought the kit years ago...and told myself...one day I just may build this one.

If I could work full time in my hoby shop...for 20 years...I would not run out of models to build. I wonder if anyone else is in the same boat as I am ?

I am willing to sell a full kit, in near perfect condition...I'm willing to sell it for $100.00 plus shipping from Hawaii. Send me a P.M.

Soft landings always,
    Bobby of Maui
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am the looking for a set of plans " St CROIX CANARD STICK 60" of similar.

If anyone can direct me were to find these plans it would be greatly appreciated. I would be interested in a complete it if you have one for sale?

thanks Alan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I still have the plans for this if anyone is interested. Funny that it's been posted here for almost 4 years! I still get about half a dozen requests EACH for plans for all the stuff that I have posted on here! Good to see that people still have the skill sets to make a plane from scratch and recognize the value of such an accomplishment!

See you in the sky!

Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What is the charge for a set of plans?
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PM me your email address, and I send you the plans FREE OF CHARGE! Just take them to one of the local blueprint or large format commercial printers (Kinkos still has some large format) and you're all set!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Tkeith9512
    I would love a copy of the manual and the plans in tiff format lupenair@volny.cz
    Thank You.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone else have a copy of the plans and manual for the Canard Stick they are willing to share?
    I am on vacation next week and would love to start on it.

thanks again for your help.
    Alan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In case anyone is watching this thread, we are now making a short kit of the Canard Stick..

Don @ EAC

www.eurekaaircraft.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I still get about a dozen emails a year over this thread, as well as the other plans that I've scanned. I've since moved into combat planes, cars, submarines, and back to planes, and cars again. It's nice to see that people still take pride in building kits and crafting the airplanes that they fly!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I asked two or three people in this thread for a set of plans and no one could take the time to e-mail them to me and i finaly found them elsewhere so for the ones in the future who find this thread here are the prints.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hay Joebahl,
    I do have the kit for sale...If your interested.
    Bob
    AMA 15016
    Hellcat Brotherhood #21
    P-38 Brotherhood #51
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks joebahl!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

has anyone put the aleron servos the the wing? seem it would be easy th plug in a y harnes if you hat to take it apart for transport>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All right i took the full size plan and shrunk it to around 38 inch wing span and made it out of foam for electrict. I used a balsa for the canard and rudder fins plus the 1/8 thin light ply nose former the one in front of the wing and motor former and balsa fuse stringers plus a balsa main wing spar. With a 1800 kv motor and a 1350 -3cell lipo i got this. Flys great rolls very nice and lands very slow with its nose a little high . joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tq48779.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	1872708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89363.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	1872709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qm35634.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	1872710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ua70465.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	1872711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hb81493.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	1872712  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	It99293.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.9 KB 
ID:	1872713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iz37212.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	1872714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rt30812.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	1872715  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12