Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Finished restoration project.

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Finished restoration project.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 07:34 AM
rrandletn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished restoration project.

I posted a request for suggestion was to the name of this airplane, I want to thank everyone for your suggestions. I visited the AMA museum last summer and spotted a plane that have the same tail features as this one, it was called a Mrs. America the only difference was it had a standard wing not this polyhedral wing on this plane but the wing shape was the same. I'm assuming this kit could be built with either wing style. Anyway attached is a old picture of the plane and a picture of the finished project. The gentleman on the left (Doug) is the original builder. This plane was built over 50 years ago and spent 40 years in a barn. When I received it I found it was used as a home for mice and mug daubing wasps. The later picture was taken at our club fun fly back in July 2005. The plane made two flights that day and is a real joy to fly. Just seeing his old plane take to the sky brought tears to Doug's eyes.

P.S. This plane is looking for a good home in a museum.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91092.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	355272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56626.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	355273  
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2005, 09:03 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Finished restoration project.

That is really neat. I would be interested how you came about finding and getting the aircraft and then contacting Doug.

I had a similar experience when my 30 year old Kwik Fli III taper wing made its way back to me. What a wonderful gift! I did a thread about in on RCU at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2434444/tm.htm

Old stuff is truly the best!

Old 11-16-2005, 10:29 AM
rrandletn

When I moved into a small town in TN Doug lived across the street. We became great friends. The plane was stored in a barn owned by a gentlemen who was a old time modeler and had also owned a small hobby shop. When he passed away Doug decided he had better get his old plane before the gentleman’s widow sold the property. Doug then gave it to me. I told Doug that I would attempt to restore the plane and invite him to the first flight.

Because the wood was old I was worried about stress in flight. I replaced some parts and rebuilt the nose, other than that all the other wood is original.

I cut the old nose off the plane (this was someone’s attempt to fix it) and cut two hardwood beams that start half way under the wing and goes forward to the tip. These beams were then used to mount the engine, complete the remaining part of the nose and used for servo mounting.

The plane was covered with silk and dope. I attempted to remove the dope with solvents from the wood but found it make the wood brittle so I removed everything I could without solvents, repaired what was needed and sanded everything. I then painted the structure with gray primer making the entire plane the same color so after covering was done I didn’t have any bleed through from the old dope.

The covering on the wing was cut to size and then ironed together on a piece of glass then placed on the wing. This was done because the desired transition between colors was not on a hard surface. The wing was covered in 4 separate sections for the top and 4 for the bottom. The fuselage sides were also done the same way.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:34 AM
rrandletn

I like your Kwik Fli III, Great job.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:01 AM

What a great story. Doug had to be thrilled! I assume Doug flew it has a free flight 50 years ago or possibly very early RC single channel?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:10 AM

ORIGINAL: rrandletn

I like your Kwik Fli III, Great job.
Thanks! It has been a real joy to get it back, complete the build and fly it. It was interesting to see my 30 year old work, that at the time I thought was pretty good, and how I approach building now. I guess it could best described by the young bull and old bull story.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:52 AM
rrandletn

Doug had an old old radio, rudder and elevator, the old switch type. The problem was they were flying close to railroad tracks near a track switch and the train radio interferred with the RC radio and the plane crashed.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:19 AM

Doug had an old old radio, rudder and elevator, the old switch type. The problem was they were flying close to railroad tracks near a track switch and the train radio interferred with the RC radio and the plane crashed.
Was the old radio gear still in it when you got it? In 1955 the radio would have been some type of the very new reed system or the less expensive single channel with a compound escapement for rudder and elevator.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:11 AM
rrandletn

I haven't been on RCU for sometime and I noticed your statement below on one of my threads

"I like your Kwik Fli III, Great job."

I think you're referring to my ID picture. That's not a Kwik Fli III it's a Skooter II. I've built quite a few of these great flying planes. You can't buy the kit any more so I build mine from templates I made from a kit I have. I think it’s the last kit for this model in existence.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:03 AM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Excellant Job"

I could only emagine the jitters as the taxi roll began, for the both of you.

I still Have your Skooter II Short kit in the box, since moving I just dont have room.

Enjoy'
Old 08-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rrandletn,
I believe that what you have is a Scientific Miss America. The polyhedral wing was an option for construction. What happened to the reed radio that was in it? You should be able to get plans from Klarich Kits. http://www.klarichkits.com
Old 08-09-2006, 04:52 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I moved into a small town in TN Doug lived across the street. We became great friends. The plane was stored in a barn owned by a gentlemen who was a old time modeler and had also owned a small hobby shop. When he passed away Doug decided he had better get his old plane before the gentleman’s widow sold the property. Doug then gave it to me. I told Doug that I would attempt to restore the plane and invite him to the first flight.
The old gent who owned the hobby shop would not have been Wilbur Krause would it? Of so, the hobby shop would have been on highway 109 in Portland TN, and should have been full of neat old stuff. I used to fly with Wilbur at Cherry Mound (deserted airport) 40 or so years ago. I may have known Doug as well. Oh, well, long ago and far away.

Bill, AMA 4720