Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

GHQ Robotaire

Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Frank Schwartz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GHQ Robotaire

In my files of old stuff, I have a large folder of eight pages of stuff sold by GHQ way back when. I have two GHQ engines, both of which, to my surprise, have good compression. I am going to try running one of them shortly. My plan is to build an antique plane to fly with the engine using R/C assist.

I have the Klarich short kit for the GHQ Sportster and am debating building it or not. In this "Catalog" that was with one of the GHQ engines is a GHQ plane called The Robotaire. This is a 60 inch span plane for the GHQ engine.

So, my question is....does anyone know if a set of plans for this plane is out there somewhere for the GHQ Robotaire....and does anyone know if Klarich has a short kit for this plane?

Thank yoiu..

Frank Schwartz
an old timer...older than most of you.........
Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: GHQ Robotaire

Frank,

Just to remind you that most of the GHQ engines came through with the points set up to run the engine clockwise.

Dennis
Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Frank Schwartz

Yes, I was advised of that. I think I havea 13 inch left hand prop somewhere...otherwise, I'll ahve to set the timer for standard rotation.
Thanks for the "heads up".
Frank
Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM
ggeezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Frank,
I can't help you with the plans but I too have a GHQ that should run after I assemble it again. I too want to get mine running and possibly powering a plane. Now what I have read is that these engines always ran with a flywheel which was a big & heavy honk'n affair. The need for lots of flywheel inertia is backed up by the fact that they offered for sale the recommended CW (looking from the front) 14" cast aluminum prop.
This is a piston valved engine so it should run in both directions so long as the ignition assembly is rotated to the correct position. I'm not sure why they preferred CW rotation... was it because the timer would be located in an awkward position if run CCW?
I have a copy of the operating instructions if you need.

Orv.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Frank Schwartz

Yes. I would like very much to have a copy of the instructionos.
I, too, was told it would run either way, depending on the position of the points. I was also told that the fuel mixture was 2 to 1 SAE70 and Gasoline. and the needle valve was to be 5/8 of a turn open.... I haven't tried it yet....too cold outside to mess with it yet...
Frank

P.S. The 13/6 as recommended should work...but maybe a 14/6 for bettr flywheel effect might be better to start out with...
Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Frank Schwartz

Yes. I would like very much to have a copy of the instructionos.
I, too, was told it would run either way, depending on the position of the points. I was also told that the fuel mixture was 2 to 1 SAE70 and Gasoline. and the needle valve was to be 5/8 of a turn open.... I haven't tried it yet....too cold outside to mess with it yet...
Frank

P.S. The 13/6 as recommended should work...but maybe a 14/6 for bettr flywheel effect might be better to start out with...
Frank,

Are you sure about 2:1 oil to gas? That makes it 67% oil which is awfully thick with oil. Maybe it was 20:1?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Frank Schwartz

Hmmmm...I was told that the GHQ ran with the needle valve open approximately 5/8 turn and the mixture was 2 to one...most of those old timers ran an 3 to 1. GGEEZER whose post is a few up in this list said he was putting his GHQ bacl tpgether and said he had a set of the origihnal instructions.....perhaps he will look on the instruction sheet and tell us if the fuel mixture is listed there....
Frank

P.S. that ixture was two to one or three toone using SAE70 and gasoline....I have heard that FAI glow fuel runs pretty good on an ingntion using spark, but have never tried it.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 PM
ggeezer

Hi Frank,
Sorry for the delay, just haven't had time to get the engine & instructions out of storage. I will find it tomorrow and attach the scanned instruction sheet in my next post.

Orv.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM
ggeezer

Hi Frank,
I finally got the GHQ instructions scanned. The GHQ factory virtually admits that these engines are hard to run unless you have lots of flywheel effect along with an oil rich fuel mixture, 2 parts gasoline to 1 part #70 oil. They also recommend that a super oil they sell called "Lubro" be used for break-in. I suspect that this oil is a castor blend of some kind.
They also recommend CW running although they say it will run in both directions but this would put the timer adjusting rod in an inconvenient location out the bottom.
I'm pretty excited to see if my engine will run.
I plan on cutting and forming a 14" prop from some 1/8" plate aluminum I have. This should mimic the cast aluminum one they sell and recommend.
This is a pretty heavy engine to start with and adding a heavy prop to to it will make it a heavy lump to carry on the front of a model. Pick one that needs a lot of nose weight.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bz79055.pdf (791.6 KB, 16 views)
Zu65114.pdf (826.1 KB, 16 views)
Rw59630.pdf (859.2 KB, 10 views)
Hb80820.pdf (1,018.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You all should realize that the company making these engines was one of the few that NEVER got a contract to make anything for the war effort in WW2. Quality standards were not up to par from everyones opinion on the subject. I have to agree with them.

Dennis
Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: ggeezer

I plan on cutting and forming a 14'' prop from some 1/8'' plate aluminum I have. This should mimic the cast aluminum one they sell and recommend.
A metal prop is not allowed by the AMA here in the USA. Does the Canadian equivilent of the AMA allow metal props?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 PM
ggeezer

Dan,
Same rules in Canada... metal props, no insurance. The GHQ however would most likely be safe because it is so gutless that I doubt it would exceed 5000 rpm. I do not intend on flying my GHQ only bench running it to see what all the hoopla is all about.

The story goes that many who bought this engine in the day and couldn't get it to run would take it to the factory. The factory personnel would mount a 3/4 pound flywheel on the beast and it would always run. Back home if you didn't use their cast aluminum prop or flywheel and mounted a wooden prop, you were probably out of luck.

I intend on testing all these theories to see which are urban (model airplane?) legends.

Orv.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Frank Schwartz

I tried to download the pdf files but coudl not...It says I have to have adobe reader...which I do but it still doesn't seem to connect.....sigh
Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 AM
iflyj3

Understand. Yes, a big fly wheel sometimes will work if the engine is misfiring a lot.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:27 AM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: Frank Schwartz

I tried to download the pdf files but coudl not...It says I have to have adobe reader...which I do but it still doesn't seem to connect.....sigh
Frank,

I just downloaded them OK. If you can't retrieve them, I can email them to you.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM
ggeezer

Hi Frank,
I have attached the pages as JPGs
Hope this helps

Orv.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30159.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	1846044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55213.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	1846045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67083.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	1846046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28160.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	1846047  
Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 AM
ggeezer

Hi Folks,
For those who don't know this, when you click on the image to get an enlarged version, if you look in the lower right hand corner on the image, you will see a small square box with arrows sticking out of each corner. Click on this icon to get a really large easy to read version.

Orv.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Frank Schwartz

Got 'em !! Thanks, everyone !!

Frank
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 AM
r_jsmith

I know I am late here but I would like to point out that Bernie Winston the designer whom I worked for intended the GHQ 60 as a boat engine. In a boat the flywheel guaranteed smooth running and aided starting because a length of string was wrapped around it and was yanked by the operator to get the engine running.