Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Glory Days Vintage Flyin Julian, NC May 21-22

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Glory Days Vintage Flyin Julian, NC May 21-22

Old 05-03-2011, 03:59 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glory Days Vintage Flyin Julian, NC May 21-22

OK guys less than 3 weeks away from the “Glory Days” Vintage flyin. Time to stir the pot and see whose planning to make it and what will you be bringing to fly!!! As of now I’m bringing 2 single channel escapement models, 2 galloping ghost models, and 2 single channel pulsers. Still working on a few more possible!!!

Remember to bring your stuff (junk) you want to sell and any displays of vintage modeling be it RC, Controline or Free Flight. Right now we should have one 65 foot radius grass controline circle available as well as a smaller circle for the 1/2A controliners. If we need more please chime in!! Concessions will be available on Saturday only so come planning to eat some good old southern cooking!!!

Bob Harris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90095.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	1603616  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:00 PM
maxpower1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glory Days Vintage Flyin Julian, NC May 21-22

Bob - I'll be there, I actually managed to get that weekend off for a change. Planning on bringing the CG Shoestring (a crowd favorite), Skylark 56 twin and that glorious flying pig, the Babcock Aeronca. Still haven't flown the Testors Skyhawk, are you bringing yours? Russ Farris
Old 05-04-2011, 07:58 AM
BobHH

Got to get her out of the rafters and give her a go through but I do plan to bring her. I've been messing with my little single channel escapement Guided Mite trying to get the receiver working!!

Bob Harris
Old 05-09-2011, 03:38 PM
BobHH

Well, gave up on the Controlaire receiver as of now. Can't get the range I need. Anyway decided to put one of my Ace single channel pulsers in but had one problem. To tone the receiver the escapement worked great but when I released the button the voltage reversed (as all pulsers do) and the escapement stuck in the right position. After going over the schematic to see how to wire it before the switching transistors I decided to call my Dad. After a brief discussion he suggested adding a diode in line of one of the escapement wire to stop the voltage reversing. Worked great!!! Now I don't have to butcher one of my good receivers!!! So hopefully I will have my DQH with single channel Controlaire Mule trans and my Guided Mite with the Orbit trans!! It going to be a fun day!!!

Bob Harris

Old 05-15-2011, 07:03 PM
maxpower1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, I'm thinking of driving up from Charlotte Friday afternoon. Any reccomendations on a motel close to the field? Russ Farris
Old 05-15-2011, 09:11 PM
BobHH

Russ, check out the website for the field WWW.OldJulianAirport.org. Mike has some motels listed that are close by.

Bob Harris
Old 05-16-2011, 06:03 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gonna be fun.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:09 PM
BobHH

Well, I was out this evening running some engines to get ready for Saturday. Actually spit a prop on a Pee Wee .020. Man that thing revs up without a prop!!! Reinstalled and she runs fine!! Must check prop screws before running engine!!!!

Bob Harris
Old 05-18-2011, 05:36 PM
vicman

Haven't been able to get the TD running on the Slim049 speed plane yet[&:]
Old 05-19-2011, 07:18 AM
BobHH

Guys, just an update for this weekend’s Glory Days Vintage meet. There will be an impromptu swap meet among the guys if you have something you like to sell. Also I’m asking everyone to bring a “Show and Tell” item(s) for the new guys whose interest in the history of this great hobby. I’ve talked Mike Langlois into bringing his record setting controline speed jet for everyone to see. Remember jets are not new, Mike was passing 200+MPH in the 60s and 70s!!!

Don’t worry about having a truly legal Vintage model, the focal point of this meet is a low key fun fly, bench racing, bragging, telling old tales event. You will NOT be mugged if your model does not meet the vintage standard!! Me, if it was build from a kit it has to be vintage as who builds kits anymore except us old timers!!!!!

Bob Harris
Old 05-20-2011, 03:49 PM
BobHH

Well the field looks beautiful. Forecast for tomorrow sunny and winds at 5 MPH. Going to be a great day!!! See you there!!!

Bob Harris
Old 05-20-2011, 04:44 PM
vicman

I'll get there around 11. See you tomorrow Bob.