Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 104 of 696 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204604 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 17388

Thread: WACO YMF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WACO YMF

Welcome SoCalSal!! Glad you are here! Beautiful bird, too.
    Everybody knows you can\'\'t make a time machine out of a Tilt-A-Whirl.........-:WACO Brotherhood 25:-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Awesome pics! "Will the REAL Engineer please stand up..." (Yeah, that would be you Jay ) Thanks for sharing those.

Todd
    WACO Brotherhood #47

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SoCalSal---As soon as I quit slobbering while looking at your plane, I'll say how good it looks. Has someone recently (within 6 months or so) posted a video of it putting on an impromptu airshow? I saw one a while back, the plane had a radial and seems like it was the color of yours. It was in Southern Cal from the background landscape. heck of a show. Welcome to the 'Hood.

Well, it flies. (Mine that is) I went to the field this evening, took the UMF, my Bristol M-1, and my DR-1. Warmed up on the Bristol, then the Fokker. Decided it was do or die, I didn't build no hangar queen. I gassed up the WACO, warmed it up and taxied to the runway, turned into the wind and rolled on the power. It came off the ground in about 75 feet, I looked like a newbie with an Avistar, jerking it around until I got a feel for the throws (too much elevator, too much aileron, too much rudder) I had programmed in a bunch of expo, and it saved me from overcontrolling into the ground. After the first lap, I got settled down, just flew around making standard turns, playing with flying speeds,, got it trimmed (four clicks down elevator and a couple clicks right aileron, no rudder changes) and I went high and stalled it a couple of times to see what it did. Stalls are straight ahead, and you really got to slow it down or use a lot of elevator to make it happen. Even at 18 pounds, it didn't want to quit flying when I came in to land. My throttle needs adjustment, most of the butterfly movement is in the first half of the stick, so I don't have as much stick for fine control at low throttle settings. I wanted to make a wheel landing, but the difference between flying it in at 1/4 throttle and idle was about two clicks on the stick, and I got slowed down and three pointed it. That was okay, but it was a bit bouncy. I flew for about ten or twelve minutes, didn't use half of a tank.

One of our club members was there with his camera (he shoots races for NASCAR) and he made some great shots. As soon as he e-mails them to me, I'll post them. One of the guys watching said after I landed that he wished somebody had stuck a lump of coal up my backside before I took off, we'd all be rich now Ahhh, the power of pucker.
    Club Saito #2, WACO Brotherhood #20. What other trouble can I get into?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lt.
    Congrats, Sir!!! I take back that "Chicken s**t" jab . I bet you sleep like a baby tonight (err, Air Force Officer). All that adrenaline is good for deep, sound sleep. Can't wait to see the flight shots. What's the Air Force term for BRAVO ZULU?

Out Here
    Todd
    WACO Brotherhood #47

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mango12

Yea, it looks like it starts on about the third rib in. Luckily I only boobooed the last two..........I think. Thanks for all the help guys.
    B-49
    Scott, You and triambsr are probably correct, the taper does start further in than I have it. I sanded the bottom of the last rib in the wing structure through the cap strip (3/32) and tried to start the taper further in than I did, but with that part of the wing already built (ARF, you know) I was limited with what I could do unless I took more of the wing down. It took me an entire weekend to get the tips like I wanted (and I mean the WHOLE weekend, 4 hours Fri night and 8 or 10 hours Sat, about 5 hours Sunday) Take a look at the tips as they come on the ARF, they're nowhere near correct:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu62077.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	689771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ea84459.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	689772  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks N'stalker. I've said it before, this scratchbuilding thing is really great. For me it's a great fit. I do similar work for my real job everyday, except that it's on race cars.

I now have a vacuum pump (a discarded de-humidifer compressor) that will fill the bill for vacuum bagging some hatch doors, CORRUGATED CONTROL SURFACES, and odds and ends.
    Everybody knows you can\'\'t make a time machine out of a Tilt-A-Whirl.........-:WACO Brotherhood 25:-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

khodges

Thanks for the reply you are quite a designer all other pics will be appreciated and saved. I will have plenty of time to study them. This is what exactly what makes this forum so valuable. It's people like you and the others wiling to take the time to help others. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Dan Hudson WACO Brotherhood #45
    GIT-ER-DUN \"Build a WACO\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

I bet you sleep like a baby tonight (err, Air Force Officer).
    The Navy would probably ask you "What's the difference?"

What's the Air Force term for BRAVO ZULU?
    "HOT DANG!!!!!!" (Think of Slim Pickens as the B-52 pilot in "Dr. Strangelove" when you say it)

I didn't know you were an engineer. It's hard enough to imagine you hangin' out the back of a double mixmaster, much less drivin' a train

Here's a first air shot. It's been de-rezzed so it would fit on our club website. His camera is about 3 billion megapixels or something; not only will it show the expression on Jimmie Johnson's face from across the racetrack, it will even pick up the bug guts on the windshield. EDIT: I checked my e-mail, Ernie posted a couple more pics. He cut the resolution down on these, too, so they don't enlarge well, but they still look good. The first one is coming in for a landing, the second one is taking off (notice me overcontrolling from the elevator position) and the third is "goin' downtown".

MrHud----Thanks for the nice words. Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn now and again. I'm a tinkerer from way back, but don't have much formal engineering edumacation, like Nightstalker.

Name:	Yv66292.jpg 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	689816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36863.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	689817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ks56837.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	689818  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,

Lookin' good and congrats on that first flight.
    John F Howard (aka skylarkmk1)
    AMA 10955, WACO Brotherhood #26, AWC, NWC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: damifino

Thanks N'stalker. I've said it before, this scratchbuilding thing is really great. For me it's a great fit. I do similar work for my real job everyday, except that it's on race cars.
    I hear you Jay - I do similar things too at my my work in the design, machining and development of manufacturing tooling/fixtures/processes... and I'll be damned if I can get balsa wood to be as cooperative as tool steel .

And Ken... I got your train[>:]. Man your plane looks nice in those shots! Oh, and the ARMY doesn't have a term for BRAVO ZULU... we barely know our ABC's... let alone the phonetic alphabet[8D]

Thanks,
    Out Here
    Todd
    WACO Brotherhood #47

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

congrats Kodges, on your fisrt flight. plane sure looks great. did you use an 18/6 prop ? if so how did it work out. I have the stock ARF with the G 26 ,with a 16/8 and it gives all I want.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,

Congratulations on your maiden flight. Sorry about the delay in answering, my hard drive has taken a total dirt nap (at home) so I have to wait until I get to work to be able to see anything. I should have a new system this weekend. Maybe all the bugs will be out of this one. I hope.....

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Congratulations on reaching the century Brothers. I'm glad to see the internecine warfare has faded and the Waco is back to the forefront.

I think anyone contemplating competing in a scale event should be very careful about the documentation. It would be easy to include some of these models as exemplars of the full size aircraft by mistake.

I have been taking vicarious pleasure in the builds I've seen here. I find the commitment and attention to detail something I could not approach but then, I don't need to, I can read all about it!

It's very pleasant to read that the models fly and survive, keep up the good work.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

old git - - - - - aka John L.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jacque

congrats Kodges, on your fisrt flight. plane sure looks great. did you use an 18/6 prop ? if so how did it work out. I have the stock ARF with the G 26 ,with a 16/8 and it gives all I want.
    Thanks much; I'm finally breathing again. I am using an 18-6, and it seems to be the right one for me. The extra weight I'm carrying from the "stock" ARF can use the additional thrust from two more inches in diameter. What kind of rpm's do you turn with the 16 incher? I haven't accurately tached my engine yet, but I am really turning the revs, enough that I'm considering trying a 20 inch prop. My buddy Steve, who "held my hand" while I flew this yesterday, suggested trying an 18-8, but I don't think I need the extra speed. I was moving along at a pretty good clip as it was, and the plane slows very well when you cut the throttle. On second thought, forget the 20 incher. I'll stick with what I have, it seemed to work. I changed a bunch of my control throws (decreased them) and added a tad more expo. I still need to readjust my throttle throws to get less butterfly movement in the first half of my stick. Right now I'm at half throttle, rpm-wise, with the stick at about the 1/4 position. The DX-7 doesn't have expo available for throttle, you have to play with the end point adjustments. I'd like to get it set so I have a lot of fine control in the lower half of the rpm range.

Have you got many flights in yet with yours? What are you learning about its flight characteristics? Anything funky or squirelly?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just like to add con grads on you first flight.
    my two cents is in landing of the WACO. After Many bounced landings I had a chance to talk to the guy that own the ZPF-7 that flys out of Bealton VA ,John Corradi's plane.
    He said bring it in with power. Like 3 clicks up from idle. Let the plane settle by flairing it in until the wheel just barely touch when the plane settles to the ground with the tail up in the air then chop the throttle. I tried the 3 point landing and when you hit it, Its great but when you miss its back in Air. And if the airspeed is not enough it will tip stall. He said learn how high you can land with high Idle. With my 33 I have now over 150 flights and thats the way I have to land it. When I am going to fly the WACO I practice hot landings with my Sukio until I feel comfortable.
    tr
    WACO Brotherhood #69

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I found that with my UPF I had to fly it to the ground and come in with about 1/4 throttle. I tried with the UMF, but as I said, my throttle throw didn't give me much fine control. It was either too little or too much from one click to the next. I much prefer wheel landings to three point. I'll get it dialed in on the next couple of flights, didn't expect this one to be perfect; I'm happy as hell I didn't break anything

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

my hard drive has taken a total dirt nap (at home)
    Lord, I hope you didn't lose much data. Mine got hit by lightning last summer, fried everything, I thought. I sent my hard drive out to Deadeye, and he got the data back for me, when some local yokel around here told me it was beyond salvage. I've got my system on two surge suppressors now, one is plugged into the other, and both have twice the capacity of the old one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Forgive me guys for at least one more day. I'll post an updated Tee list ASAP. We are in the middle of having 17 windows replaced in our house and things will settle down here in a day or so. Our sample shirts for printing the proofs and verifying ink colors will be here tomorrow and the film for the design is ready. Won't be long. I've recieved some more Paypal payments and MO's. Remember, May 31 is the deadline. If you send it out late just let me know.
    Looks great Ken. Can't wait to see it in person.

Get off'a ya butt and show us some progress, Stickbuilder.........

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd love to, but my puter is dead. I can't load any photos until it is either replaced or repaired. I can't fix it with epoxy or CA.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Khodge, I get a reliable 8700 to 8900 with the 16/8. I have at least 50 flights on the waco, on my final I keep about 1/4 stick, and on the decent, I cut back a little more let it settle in on the maines as I,m about to touch I cut the gas and let it roll out if you get it to slow mine just drops and then a good bounce. It really does not have any bad habits. Just me . By the way I use a laminated wood prop it is better than the APC,and it looks great..........Jacque
    ..........Brothehood # 27

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jacque

. By the way I use a laminated wood prop it is better than the APC,and it looks great
    Thanks, Jacque. I occasionally use wood props, mainly on my WWI birds, and I have one to fit the UMF. The silver one shown in the picture isn't an APC (I don't particularly care for APC props). It is a Master Airscrew Classic that is painted to resemble an aluminum Hartzel prop. I'm hoping to get to fly it again maybe this evening, but for sure Sat morning. We're having a club workday to get the field ready for our 6th Annual Warbirds over Wilson Field (for next weekend, June 2nd). We'll probably fly first thing, while it's calm, then work a little, fly a little.......work a little, fly some more.....

Name:	Jh14811.jpg 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	690618  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd love to, but my puter is dead.
    I bet you forgot to feed the mouse

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: khodges

I'd love to, but my puter is dead.
    I bet you forgot to feed the mouse
    Oh how I hate "puter issues". My mouse is well fed, but I keep forgetting that I need to upgrade my memory...

Todd

WACO Brotherhood #47

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all

I received plans today from AMA, ordered 5/32 balsa from Sig. Now I can figure the rest of materials and order. Sure be nice if a material list was available but I guess this is part of scratch building.

Im getting caught up on honey dues the wife knows when I get started shes going to be a Waco widow LOL
    Dan Hudson WACO Brotherhood #45
    GIT-ER-DUN \"Build a WACO\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken --
    Congratulations on the completion of your build -- this one sure wasn't an "assembly"! -- and your maiden(s).
    Would you mind if I sent you a PM to get some info from you on how you masked off your cowl blisters? I'm doing the cowl on my 1/4 I'Kon N'West Monocoupe and am having all kinds of trouble getting it right.
    Thanks
    Al
    MobyAl