Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 122 of 705 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172222622 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 17609

Thread: WACO YMF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WACO YMF

All,

170 Radial Engine report. Over in the ARF Section under the Top Flight Staggerwing (page 29, post 578), there is a report of it flying (at 22.5 lbs) with the 170, should anyone be interested on using the 170 for their YMF. Wing Spans are the same.
    John F Howard (aka skylarkmk1)
    AMA 10955, WACO Brotherhood #26, AWC, NWC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mitch,

Here you go; from NC 14081, a 1987 YMF Classic. The Main Instrument panel does not have the Burl Center Panel as in TRs photos, but the rest the instrument panel is similar (avionics differ as the pilots prefer) and the interior is finished with padding and carpet.

P-1 – Rear seat throttle quadrant with stabilizer trim crank, parking brake (yellow striped handle), left fuel tank on/off (red handle) and lower left instrument panel.
    P-2 – Rear seat right side with right fuel tank on/off (red handle), lower right instrument panel and the β€œkey”.
    P-3 – Front seat throttle Quadrant with stab trim crank in front of the quadrant, scuff pads below rudder pedals, door opening and warning placard, and locking glove box. You can also see the carburetor heat lever better.
    P-4 – Front seat instrument panel, right side padded trim. Lower center placard (under Instr. Pnl.) reads β€œREAR SEAT FOR SOLO FLYING”.

As all of the pictures show, all kinds of finishes for each plane and pilot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf98122.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	716770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mj24788.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	716771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75968.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	716772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx71315.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	716773  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for posting that. I just installed my 170 radial and she feels a little heavy []

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone have a large picture of the Waco emblem for the top of the vertical stabilizer (fin) ?

I cannot find a picture large enough to use to make one!

Thanx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

Does anyone have a large picture of the Waco emblem for the top of the vertical stabilizer (fin) ?

I cannot find a picture large enough to use to make one!

Thanx
    Here ya go:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu59421.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	717265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt55980.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	717266  
    Club Saito #2, WACO Brotherhood #20. What other trouble can I get into?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Damifino,
    Got my shirts! Thanks for a great job.
    He's crazy Lew, he builds toy airplanes!"
    Frank Towns - Flight of the Phoenix (1965)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Many thanks on two accounts! My stitching looks just like that

Got my shirts too Jay, very nice, thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the interior shots gentlemen. The brotherhood is a terrific resource!. Mitch WB 100

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Many thanks on two accounts! My stitching looks just like that

Got my shirts too Jay, very nice, thanks!
    That's a great photo of the rudder for another reason. Sorry if this is redundant info but not going to read the giant thread to find out.

Notice the first stitches in the rows at both ends anywhere on a fabric covering like this are half spaced, in other words there are 3 stitches in the span of the usual 2 without exception wherever there is lacing if done to proper procedure.

I have seen many flawless models, except for this little detail. Albeit cosmetic on a model it, without it you won't get a C of A on a 1:1.

Edit:spelling

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My next one is going to be much better [:@][:@]

Forgive me guys, I am young!

All this talk about building has been great. There is a scale event I will be flying at with my Waco on July 20,21 and 22. I have to ask, What are some of the scale manuvers a guy should expect to see with the Waco? Seeing as it is a civilian sport plane I'm thinking a scale loop would be good, a wing over, descending circle, maybe a stall turn??

Anyone care to try and educate me a little? [:-]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hughes, do not reproach yourself for something I learned yesterday. It just seemed like a good bit of info to add to such a comprehensive thread. The photos of those who can contribute are priceless. I'm going to guess that very few know about the stitching technique or use it if they do. I've stitched a bit. I have a complete set of NIT A+P mechanics manuals that I read as novels.

Cheers, John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let me throw this into the conversation. Often the pinking and stitching on models too obvious. Look at it this way: Stand 60 feet away from a full size fabric covered aircraft and take note of how much stitching and pinking tape can be easily seen. Now you've got an idea of how much should be seen from 15 feet away on a 1/4 scale model or 12 feet away on a 1/5 scale. Just an observation.
    Everybody knows you can\'\'t make a time machine out of a Tilt-A-Whirl.........-:WACO Brotherhood 25:-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

damifino
    Boy have you got that right. When we build one this size we are looking at how close we can get it to look like the real thing. The information we recieve here is a great help to achieve what we are looking for when we are building and achieving our goal.
    One thing they all look the same after a crash at any distance[:@] have fun with what ever your goal and be proud of what you have

Not every one in this hobby has the big buck to fulfill their dream
    Larry K
    Sig Brotherhood # 1 Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 4 WACO Brotherhood #34 Cub Brotherhood 14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: damifino

Let me throw this into the conversation. Often the pinking and stitching on models too obvious. Look at it this way: Stand 60 feet away from a full size fabric covered aircraft and take note of how much stitching and pinking tape can be easily seen. Now you've got an idea of how much should be seen from 15 feet away on a 1/4 scale model or 12 feet away on a 1/5 scale. Just an observation.

A good example of perspective is the number of rivets on a high quality plastic model that make it look "Right" even though there are actually ten?? times as many on the real aircraft. Is the term "Scale effect" correct for the eyes rationalization of detail on a subconscious level?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, 'scale effect' fills the bill. We want an illusion of the real thing. IMO there can be too much detail, or should I say the details can end up as an overpowering element of the finished model.
    Everybody knows you can\'\'t make a time machine out of a Tilt-A-Whirl.........-:WACO Brotherhood 25:-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Joe
    what number are you
    Larry K
    Sig Brotherhood # 1 Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 4 WACO Brotherhood #34 Cub Brotherhood 14

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, the issue I am having right now, can't see all the details I spent hours on unless you look real close LOL.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hughes500E
    I kow right where you are coming from , when you build for hours and can not see where you have made any headway[:'(] Only thing I build for other people and the project is a Ziroli P 38
    When will I have time for my WACO
    Larry K
    Larry K

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All this talk about building has been great. There is a scale event I will be flying at with my Waco on July 20,21 and 22. I have to ask, What are some of the scale manuvers a guy should expect to see with the Waco? Seeing as it is a civilian sport plane I'm thinking a scale loop would be good, a wing over, descending circle, maybe a stall turn??

Anyone care to try and educate me a little? [:-]
    Loops, rolls (axial and barrel), split esses, Immelmans, Cuban Eights, wingovers, stall turns, hammerheads, are all possible with YMFs, and UPFs, and probably other similar types. Just remember that the power to weight of the full-scales required entering loops from a dive to build airspeed, and that more than one roll at a time would cause a big loss in altitude, as the planes don't roll very fast. Vertical maneuvers aren't really vertical, at least not for long. One way to make them scale is to avoid full throttle on your model, try to keep the power to weight similar to the full scale. Loops usually are egg shaped instead of round, and sustained inverted flight is a no-no, as the carburetors on those old radials don't feed very long upside down. Outside loops aren't scale, either, for the same reason, plus the airframes aren't stressed for much negative G. The UPF was stressed for +5, -3, and I think the YMF is the same. Also, "round" everything off; the crisp, sharp edged stuff like Wagstaff and Chapman isn't scale on the old ragbags, as they just aren't that responsive.

Get some pics at the fly-in, maybe some video.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hughes,

Just to add a little to Ken's post, if you check the Aerofiles listing of the Waco History by model, the UMF was the forerunner of the UPF-7. When the UPF-7 was used as a Primary Trainer (YPT-14/PT-14), it was reported to turn better (inside the PT-17) and basically out perform the Stearman PT-17, so similar maneuvers are appropriate. As Ken mentioned, the control authority, especially the aileron, was/is much less than today’s Caps, Extras, Edges, Pitts, Ultimate Bipe’s and the like

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice, thanks for the input. I have narrowed my choices to this:

5 Mandatory
    Take Off
    Figure Eight
    Fly Past
    Landing
    Overall Flight Realism

5 options
    barrel roll
    360 degree descending circle
    stall turn
    vintage loop
    touch and go

Now I just have to get the Waco finished []

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hughes- Got any pictures?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am hoping tomorrow or later tonight I can take some pictures of her. Maiden is this Wednesday evening [X(]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like a good performance coming up. My favorite maneuver with my little UPF (haven't tried it yet with the UMF) is a barrel roll; it looks really good with a WACO. Hope I'm not talking out of school here, but remember, on your stall turn, the plane should pivot at the c/g. If it turns at a point out on the wing, it's a wingover.

There was one point of "flight realism" I used to have down pat with my DR-1; that was a ground loop and/or flip at the end of my landing Let's not go there

Speaking of UPF's, I got an e-mail from Aaron at Ikon. He said he's finishing up the kit and should be shipping it on Monday. Can't wait to see it, I'll give a full report.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

KHodges- Any progress on your arf-not gear?