Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 123 of 707 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173223623 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 17660

Thread: WACO YMF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: damifino

KHodges- Any progress on your arf-not gear?
    Just a little, I got a piece of piano wire in the tailwheel, and made a brass sleeve to go over the shaft. I haven't done anything else; I wanted to finish the plastic plane and see how it flew. I took it to the field yesterday. After two tanks to break in the .61, I got it leaned out and flew it three times. All I had to do was add some up trim to the elevator and it flew hands off. It's a cool little plane to throw in the car; the ABS is relatively ding-proof. It will haul arse at full throttle, but will mosey along at 1/3.

I've got to clean up my shop next, then finish the UMF gear and get it back in the air. By then the UPF should be here, and I'll get started on it. I've GOT to figure a way in my limited space to lay out 6 foot wings. I demand to build the entire wing at once, rather than half now, half later. The way I change things, I want to be sure each half is identical.
    Club Saito #2, WACO Brotherhood #20. What other trouble can I get into?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To All,
    I have often wondered if I would ever get to meet another member of the brotherhood,
    well today I can put my wondering at ease,I attended The "DAWN PATROL FLY-IN" here in Ellington, Ct. An IMAA event and I was wearing my WACO T shirt, Had this man come up to me an introduce himself as Mitch, " WACO Brotherhood # 100", a regular down to earth 1st class man. and naturally we spoke the WACO Language

George
    WACO Brotherhood # 5
    Remember, Man\'\'s 2nd greatest adventure is FLYING, LANDING is his FIRST.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The power of a simple tee shirt. You two would have passed by each other had it not been for that. Thanks for sharing.
    Everybody knows you can\'\'t make a time machine out of a Tilt-A-Whirl.........-:WACO Brotherhood 25:-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jay, I got the tailwheel done tonite; all I have to do is paint it. I did it pretty much the same as it originally was, except on the bottom bearing I pressed a brass sleeve into the nylon block, and polished the steel shaft of the gear fork where it slides through the brass sleeve. I figured the wear would be less than having the brass slide in the nylon. A little lithium grease, and it's as smooth as can be. The set screw for the piano wire insert acts as a travel limiter, it hits against the bottom nylon block at max compression. I have a tad more than 1/4 inch travel, which is plenty.

Damn it looks good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki19642.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	718737  

Damifino,
    Tees arrived today! Thanks from windy, cold and damp New Zealand, if there's anything I can do...
    Evan, W.B. #12.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ctflyboy

To All,
    I have often wondered if I would ever get to meet another member of the brotherhood,
    well today I can put my wondering at ease,I attended The "DAWN PATROL FLY-IN" here in Ellington, Ct. An IMAA event and I was wearing my WACO T shirt, Had this man come up to me an introduce himself as Mitch, " WACO Brotherhood # 100", a regular down to earth 1st class man. and naturally we spoke the WACO Language

George
    WACO Brotherhood # 5

George,

I'm happy to hear that you met up with nine o nine....Looks as though the Tee shirt thing really does pay off...I wore mine to the NASCAR races at Daytona this weekend, and to Disney World too. I got a lot of comments on the shirt (and the WACO hat) seems as though lots of folks know what a WACO is... However, there were no other persons wearing the shirt....

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Khodges- Glad it worked out. Looks good. You know if you break that one you've got big trouble!

PIMMNZ- Enjoy those shirts and thanks.
    Everybody knows you can\'\'t make a time machine out of a Tilt-A-Whirl.........-:WACO Brotherhood 25:-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: damifino

Khodges- You know if you break that one you've got big trouble!

These new gear sets will be like roaches after Armageddon: the rest of the plane will be gone, just dust and splinters, but the gear will survive unscratched.

I started on the mains tonite. First off, I cut out the center of the mounting plate; then I weighed it and compared it to the old set. It looks like with everything finished and mounted, I'll have about 6 oz. weight gain over the old set. I can live with that easily. I wish I'd known just how much I wanted out of the center, I'm sure you could have used one of your miracle tools and removed that piece in a tenth of the time it took me, with drill, cutoff wheel and flat file. I still have 1/16" holes to drill along the "fairing" edges, so the balsa cladding will have epoxy penetration into the holes to hold them in place. I'll also put a layer of 1/2 oz fiberglass over them to fill out the legs and will use balsa blocks at the fuse interface to blend it in. I may drill some larger (1/4 or 5/16) holes in the legs themselves to lighten them a bit more, but I don't want to weake anything. Jay figures I have some leeway.

After I cleaned up the hole, I centered it on the mounting blocks and measured for my mounting screws; I'm using #6 x 1" sheet metal screws (mainly because I had them); then I drilled the holes in the aluminum, repositioned it and marked the locations for pilot holes in the wood blocks. I decided to leave the spring strut mounted on the wood block, but the forward portion of the aluminum bracket will support the block and will be screwed to it. Here's some pics of the preliminary installation. For those interested, the new gear legs are 6061 T6 aluminum, 1/8 inch thick. I could stand on these and not bend them, but they have a nice spring to them. With the struts supporting them underneath, they should give good landing shock absorption without spreading. You can see in one pic where I'm holding the wheel pant in its location, that I will have positive positioning of the pants without worrying about them rotating on the axle stub. I am using DuBro 3/16 " diameter axles, just have to drill the tab and mount them.

Name:	He97077.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	719459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq50802.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	719460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mr41292.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	719461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq45802.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	719462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr55613.jpg 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	719463  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill, your are right on those T's, I'm attending another IMAA event this weekend,we'll see what kind of remarks I get,will keep you posted.

George
    WACO Brotherhood # 5
    Remember, Man\'\'s 2nd greatest adventure is FLYING, LANDING is his FIRST.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,

I believe that you have defined the word, "Overkill". That landing gear should support the full scale YMF. Jay does great work does he not?

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[/quote]

These new gear sets will be like roaches after Armageddon: the rest of the plane will be gone, just dust and splinters, but the gear will survive unscratched.

[/quote]

Thats my observation, no matter what happens to the model the wheels always seem to survive (never any use for next project though)

Your set up looks pretty good! Should interest some archaologist.

old git - - - - - - - aka John L.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All,
    I'm happy to report that the new SIG Waco SRE ARF kits arrived at the factory this morning. They are being shipped now. To those who have waited patiently (or impatiently), I believe the wait will be worth it.
    Regards,
    Scott
    AMA L-47765, AMA Hall of Fame, Waco Brotherhood #42

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: S. Christensen

All,
    I'm happy to report that the new SIG Waco SRE ARF kits arrived at the factory this morning. They are being shipped now. To those who have waited patiently (or impatiently), I believe the wait will be worth it.
    Regards,
    Scott,

That is great news. I'm always glad when another WACO becomes available, whether kit or ARF. Thanks for the heads-up.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Ken,

I believe that you have defined the word, "Overkill". That landing gear should support the full scale YMF. Jay does great work does he not?

I just get tired of having a hangar queen amputeee. Seems like every ARF I've ever had is weak in the "knees". Plus, as you're aware, the heavier the airframe gets, the beefier the gear must be, which makes the airframe heavier, which means the gear has to be stronger, which means.........

This time, the gear will outlast the plane, but I hope that the gear will help the plane itself last longer. Jay indeed does awesome work, I got a firsthand look at his shop last weekend. You could turn howitzer barrels on the lathe he has, and his WACO frame-up is a piece of art. He needs to use a clear covering to show it off. Sort of like the plastic "Visible V-8" engine I'm truly lucky to know him, even more so to live within an hour of him. Hope I don't abuse the privilege.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

live within an hour of him.
    Don't tell him that I too live within an hour of him.[8D]

Well Jay,

I brought one of my tees to Cancun Mexico and planned on wearing it one of the days I was there but the Mexican flu got me first. I was there over the 4th. That night I made my own fireworks.[&:]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jay--You got your e-mail fixed yet? Didn't get much done tonite. I went to a city council meeting (Board of Aldermen) tonite to see the fireworks (and contribute) over a proposed kennel in our neighborhood by some people who don't even live here yet. It's a quarter mile from my house. Apparently the city gave them a "special use permit", or zoning variance, without any real research on their part, or any real attempt to give the potential neighbors the opportunity to state their case. looks like Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, it's off to court we go.

So much for off topic conversation. Jay, knowing the strength of this material better than I, do you think I'd be safe removing the material in the middle of the legs? You can see what the dimensions will be. The strut braces will mount in the thicker area at the bottom (on the underside). I figure this will knock off aother couple of ounces.

Name:	Hf98709.jpg 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	720432  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,

I know that you directed your question toward Jay, but you are using 6061, T-6 material, and I think that you would be completely safe removing the outlined material. In fact, you could probably remove more...

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, Master Chief; I agree, more could probably be safely removed, but I think I'll play conservative. I'm going to sheet the underside and the outside with 1/16 balsa, and cap the leading and trailing edges so I can round off the leading and taper the trailing edges, then add a layer of 1/2 oz glass after the top is faired into the fuse. This will make it 1/4 thick. Should look like the original, or better, when done.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken, You'll be safe with removing that much or more. Remember we touched on tapering the load bearing portions? Example: the front 'leg' portion could be 1 3/8" at the top near the fuse and taper to 1 1/8" at the lowest part of the cutout. The rear 'leg' could be reduced to 7/8" all along the cutout. You'd end up with 2" worth of gear leg at the cutout's bottom. That will leave you with at least as much or more than the gear seen on most sport planes using aluminum gear. Just my 2 cents worth. Bottom line is you can take a little more.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: khodges
    So much for off topic conversation. Jay, knowing the strength of this material better than I, do you think I'd be safe removing the material in the middle of the legs? You can see what the dimensions will be. The strut braces will mount in the thicker area at the bottom (on the underside). I figure this will knock off aother couple of ounces.
    Aluminium (Aluminum) and Al rich alloys tend to be rather notch brittle. Using a scriber to mark out cutting lines is OK but any other scratches remaining on the finished job consitute a stress raiser and may well promote breakage. Full size aircraft work used wax crayons or maybe soft graphite pencils, nowadays I guess that fibre tipped pens are used. It's a similar situation to the recommendation when bending. The minimum radius bend should be four times the material thickness to avoid stress raisers.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

old git - - - - - - - - aka John L.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have found some Styrene triangle rod stock at the local craft/hobby center, that I think might work well for the corrugations on the Aileron/stab/rudder. They are made by Plastruct - <<http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/re_pl...tm]Plastruct>> (go to bottom of page) and come in various sizes from .030" to 1/8" - ( per side measurement) I am experimenting with the .060" size to finish off a little Unionville Hobbies 60 size DeHavilland Otter - they look to be just the thing. What size would anyone suggest I use with the 1/5 Scale Pica Waco? Sizes available are .030 - .040 - .060 - .080 - .10 & 1/8th! I know there was some discussion further back but I can't find it. I did remember the name Evergreen as a supplier but I can't find tri stock in their cata at the store. Will also have to figure out what adhesive to use!
    Thanks
    Jim, MAAC #5343
    WACO Brotherhood #56

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SCM,

1/16" square stock (sanded to shape) works well, but I'm unfamiliar with the plastistruct products, but I understand that the railroad guys use it a lot. I think that the spacing and the number of corrugations is more important than the height of the corrugations. I'm sure that Skylark will have the proper size on here very quickly. He is a treasure of information, and is always on the money.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SuperCub Man

What size would anyone suggest I use with the 1/5 Scale Pica Waco? Sizes available are .030 - .040 - .060 - .080 - .10 & 1/8th!Will also have to figure out what adhesive to use!
    Thanks
    SCM-- I had the same idea before I went with the corrugated sheeting from Sig. I have a bunch of the .080 angles, and compared it to the angle size on my UMF (the sig stuff). The angle is just a tiny bit smaller than the ribs on my ailerons, but IMO are still too big. My spacing is not quite scale; if you do the correct spacing, I think either the 0.040 or 0.060 would be close enough.

Jay (damifino) was making a metal template when I was over at his place; he was milling grooves at scale spacing and was looking at making a solid sheet with the raised ribs, cutting them to shape, and sheeting the ailerons. I'll bet he can tell you also, what the correct dimensions are.

I'd recommend Ca to hold them , then maybe a light coat of finishing resin over the whole surface. This would stick them down, and "fillet" the edges.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew my Waco last night

I am thrilled to let you all know I had the best ever maiden flight last night. The sound of the 170 3 cylinder is amazing. I had to dial in 2 clicks of left aileron, and a fair bit of elevator up trim. I am balanced at 5.25 inches from the top wing LE. All up weight with the 3 cylinder, just under 15Lbs. A few times throughout this project I remember saying to myself, "maybe I bit off a bit more than I can chew". My oldest son and I flew in a full scale Waco a number of years ago and ever since that I wanted to build one. For my first scratch/scale build, I am quite proud. Thanks for putting up with me, and thanks for all the help and tips etc. I plan on building another fuselage on floats, so I'll still be popping by and sharing. Long live the brotherhood!

I found this picture saved as day one and I have included a picture of me, yes Bill its me this time!

Thanx guys!

Now I can finish the cockpit, strut mounts, pin striping etc, I'm hooked
    7 days to learn how to fly it! BC Scale Masters Qualifier [X(]

Name:	Ge96246.jpg 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	722199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je10448.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	722200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu50096.jpg 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	722201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At54724.jpg 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	722202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fr90620.jpg 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	722203  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xo90233.jpg 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	722204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wy50444.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	722205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96443.jpg 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	722206  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

I flew my Waco last night

I am thrilled to let you all know I had the best ever maiden flight last night. The sound of the 170 3 cylinder is amazing. I had to dial in 2 clicks of left aileron, and a fair bit of elevator up trim. I am balanced at 5.25 inches from the top wing LE. All up weight with the 3 cylinder, just under 15Lbs. A few times throughout this project I remember saying to myself, "maybe I bit off a bit more than I can chew". My oldest son and I flew in a full scale Waco a number of years ago and ever since that I wanted to build one. For my first scratch/scale build, I am quite proud. Thanks for putting up with me, and thanks for all the help and tips etc. I plan on building another fuselage on floats, so I'll still be popping by and sharing. Long live the brotherhood!

I found this picture saved as day one and I have included a picture of me, yes Bill its me this time!

Thanx guys!

Now I can finish the cockpit, strut mounts, pin striping etc, I'm hooked
    7 days to learn how to fly it! BC Scale Masters Qualifier [X(]

Young feller aintcha?????

Nice shirt too.....

Great job on the WACO.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1