Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Mr. Lucky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Hello Dick. Welcome to the Brotherhood.

It is amazing how much information is compiled into these pages and the knowledge contained within the Brotherhood.

Ben
Mr. Lucky
Brotherhoodlum # 74
Old 11-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Mr. Lucky

Bill,

You made a reference to one of your new planes new color combos. You said it was a few pages back. Can you tell me what page it's on? I'm getting dizzy scrolling through all the pages looking for your kit.

I contacted the National Waco Club about the construction drawings today. I will let you know what I find out. Do you have any sort of reference sheet to find certain things inside this thread?

Ben
Mr. Lucky
Brother # 74
Old 11-09-2007, 06:27 AM
snowball

thanks for the info on the paint .I used imron on acouple of motorcycle paint jobs a long time ago........great job on the hatch supercubman......welcome new members,,,,
Old 11-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't remember. Here are a couple of pics again. the framed up plane has the new color scheme, and the other one is last year's plane. Janelle claims that one as her plane. She has it hanging in the Living room.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61206.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	799920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66463.jpg
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	799921  
Old 11-09-2007, 12:11 PM
SuperCub Man

Stickbuilder - or any one else! Could you advise any special method you might have used for rounding off the 1" balsa ring on the nose from the rough cut balsa? It's not that I can't do it, but I'd like to hear how others have done it and perhaps save me some time and temper!! Getting it even all the way around with that nice curve will be tricky!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:45 PM
FMBB

Hallo Herr Müller,

I have installed the 250 Moki radial. In the Video you are referring to "only" a 215 is installed. With the 2500 I should make reservation at ISS to be able to check in for a short stay. The total weight was my main concern. Finally it is very close to the ZDZ 160 which was installed previously. With all parts removed ( silencers 2off, dummy engine, engine mount from aluminum changed to laminated ply carbon fiber) the total weight is about 300 grams higher than befor. So the take off weight with smoker system (2 liter of smoker fluid, pump and 6 volt battery) 1 liter of petrol, 4 halo lights with a 12 Volt Nicad and full scale with all riveting, Pito pipe, Pilot etc. summs up to 23,8 kg which is round about 52 lbs. So there is also the posibility to install the new 7 cyl radial from Seidel (now available as petrol engine aswell as methanol) which is 2 Kg more than the Moki but you may safe some additional weight by using Lithuim batteries for smoker- and light batteries. The next Waco will be a dedecated built for the 7 cyl Seidel. I have still some weight reduction posibilities. The covering I will use is 48 gr instead of 78 per m². This new covering has no adhesive but due to the fact that I have only to put the glue to the structure the covering has contact with the rest of the covering will add to reduce weigth etc.. So the 7 cyl Seidel project will be a possible one to come during Winter may be to the end of next year. Time is always the problem as I have a secondary profession which I need to make a living.

Barth
Old 11-09-2007, 01:36 PM
BigBoy99

@nine o nine

are you searchin for this part:

Name:	Sq47273.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	800064  
Old 11-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: SuperCub Man

Stickbuilder - or any one else! Could you advise any special method you might have used for rounding off the 1" balsa ring on the nose from the rough cut balsa? It's not that I can't do it, but I'd like to hear how others have done it and perhaps save me some time and temper!! Getting it even all the way around with that nice curve will be tricky!
I use a razor plane and rough shape it to the radius that I want, and finish it with a sanding block. You will end up doing the wing tips the same way.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-09-2007, 03:14 PM
aminiet

Supercubman

If you can get a piece of pvc pipe about 1 1/2 diameter, and a foot long. cut it length wise and use sticky sandpaper inside the curvature of the pipe it should give you the perfect raadius

Angel
B 58
Old 11-09-2007, 03:40 PM
michou41a
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On this Waco, the nose ring is in fiberglass,

Name:	Ge96205.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	800114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95936.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	800115  
Old 11-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Stickbuilder

Ours are built up from balsa blocks and shaped, as are the leading edges of the wings and the leading edge of all 4 wingtips. It is the time honored way to do it. Once completed, they look great. It requires patience, but is not all that difficult.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-09-2007, 04:17 PM
BigBoy99

Hi Michel,

when I look to Your pics, I think it looks like in a operating room.
If I compare it with my workshop.....what a desaster! But it promotes me in my ideas!!!!!

Regards
Bernie
Old 11-09-2007, 04:19 PM
SuperCub Man

Thanks guys. I have already done the wings and as stickbuilder stated I used a razor plane and sanding blocks. So I knew the routine, but I was hoping for a trick like Angel mentioned. I'll give it a shot Angel and if I have to I'll fall back on the old sanding and razor plane routine. I hope all will fit the new cowl - when it comes!!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Stickbuilder

Do you have the ABS cowl that was in the old Pica kits? If so, the new cowl will be the same diameter. It is 8" or so, I can get you the exact diameter when I get home.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Mr. Lucky

John,

I was scrolling around the thread and noticed a particular Waco model that interested me. There are pictures on page 146, posts 3642 and 3649. Can you tell me what model these are? I like these full cabin models that can be slid open. Kind of like the old T-6 Texan and the Curtis P-40. They remind me of a convertible where you can have the top up or down depending on the whether.

Thanks for the help.

Ben
Mr. Lucky
Brother # 74
Old 11-09-2007, 05:30 PM
n27sr

For all interested, here are a few pics of my 15 year old Pica Waco

Name:	Ol31450.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	800163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46556.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	800164  
Old 11-09-2007, 05:31 PM
SuperCub Man

No I'm scratching this model which is why I'm so anxious to get the new cowl.. I have nothing to use until I get the new cowl or I order the wrong one from the other Fiberglass supplier. "Wrong" because the model I'm copying at out local airport is a Waco Classic and the blisters are evenly spaced.
I've taken Angels idea and cut the radius out of about a 3" piece of 2X4 and I'll glue some 80 grit inside it. Will switch to a finer grit as I get close to the shape.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:56 PM
skylarkmk1

Ben,

On page 146, post 3642, that is a picture of Claude McCullough’s S3HD-A (armed version), only one of which was made and exported to Cuba where is crashed shortly arrival. The NWC has an album of the S3HD and other similar types. The rear cockpit is for the gunner and faces to the rear with both canopies sliding to the space between cockpits. Quite different than an YMF with only centerline cabane struts, different wing plan form, different ailerons. From a previous post, the AMA has only 4 of the 9 sheets of plans for a “D†model in about ¼ scale (97†ws), they do have plans for smaller “D†models and even one for the S3HD (24†ws).

Post 3649 is another S3HD (NC 14048), based in Vermont. Airliners.net has more pictures of it.

Other Wacos that can have a sliding cockpit, usually only the rear, are the ZPF which is a UPF with the cabin mods and a Jacobs L-5, 285 hp engine. Even though only some of the ZPFs had the sliding canopy. It is othen thought all ZPFs had the mod. Another "cabin" model is the YPF-6 (NC 15700). See Rare Aircraft http://www.rareaircraft.com/index.html for pictures of their restoration of this plane in Deep Maroon and Light Blue. See picture below of the ZPF from Airliners.net. Another rare Waco that had the option of a sliding canopy is the UBA, a side by side cockpit model. Only three of the six made are known to be flying, 2 were at the 2007 AWC Waco Fly In at Creve Coeur Airport.

If you look carefully at the Pica 1/5th plans, they show the cabin formers to convert the YMF to a cabin version which also includes changing the landing gear fairings, rudder/vertical fin and stabilizer leading edge to a curved shape like a UPF, elevator outline and a few other things. I don’t know if any YMF/UMFs were converted to cabin versions. The UMF is the forerunner of the UPF.

Check the reference list on House of Moy for some more plans listing and other possible sources of open cockpit with sliding canopy.

Name:	Sq47174.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	800174  
Old 11-09-2007, 05:59 PM
devens

ok ok I can't resist any longer....next build for me!

Someone has offered to sell me a 1/5 scale pica kit. I have been following the thread now for a month or so trying to make sure this was going to be my next kit. The 1/3 scale with the moki radial video has me really excited about the decision for my next build.

What model is this and does anyone see any big hang-ups on this model. The first thing I notice is the cowl! Surely that will be an easy hump to overcome with a smooth cowl like that. Also will my model be somewhat rare? I rather build something that everybody else isn't. I have't seen it pop up in this forum at least in the pages I have viewed.

I would like to make an offical request to be accepted into the WACO brotherhood!

Regards,

D

Name:	Db86466.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	800176  
Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 PM
skylarkmk1

D,

The plane your picture shows appears to be a UPF-7 (1937)of which more than 600 were made, many being used as trainers as the YPT-14 (actually was a better plane than the PT-17). The Pica kit is of the YMF-3/5 (1934) or UMF-3/5 (1934). If built following the cowl pattern strip on the plans, it will be a UMF with paired bumps (Continental Engine), the YMF has evenly spaced bumps (Jacobs engine). The UPF has also been fitted not only with the Smooth cowl, but Bump and Ring cowls as well.

Ikon N'West has a UPF kit as well as a Waco 10 (later designated the GXE) and a Waco Taper Wing. You would need to call to see about availability and pricing.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Stickbuilder

NEW BROTHER ALERT

We have a new Brother. Devens is Brother #80. Welcome Devens, and we hope that you enjoy your membership. There is much to be gained here. I keep hoping that Herr Barth will join us as well. If you will look back on page 170, you will find yourself on the current roster. We used to post a complete new roster whenever someone would join, but it almost takes an entire page now, and so I just update it every 10 pages. Have fun.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
NWC #109
Old 11-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: SuperCub Man

No I'm scratching this model which is why I'm so anxious to get the new cowl.. I have nothing to use until I get the new cowl or I order the wrong one from the other Fiberglass supplier. "Wrong" because the model I'm copying at out local airport is a Waco Classic and the blisters are evenly spaced.
I've taken Angels idea and cut the radius out of about a 3" piece of 2X4 and I'll glue some 80 grit inside it. Will switch to a finer grit as I get close to the shape.
I just measured the cowl, and the inside diameter is 8.25" So if you make the cowl ring that size at the large part, and taper it down, you should be able to have plenty of exhaust area for the cowl exhaust.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
NWC #109
Old 11-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: n27sr

For all interested, here are a few pics of my 15 year old Pica Waco
What size is it? You should be a Brother.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
NWC #109
Old 11-09-2007, 09:43 PM
devens

good to be aboard!

BTW I should introduce myself. My name is Daren Evens, obviously I live in South Dakota..not the best place for flying days per year unless you have a real strong kite! But we do get a few. I am 40 yrs old and work as a Mechanical Engineer in the Consulting Industry. I was born in Champaign, Illinois and graduated from Southern Illinois University. My grand parents built a house and lived in it for 50 years or so that is about 1 block east of Great Planes shop. I grew up around models and RC as my family is very crafty and my uncle used to own an RC store down town Champaign back in about 1975ish. I took a ~12 yr break from the hobby to develope my carreer and have been back in RC for just over a yr now. Of course I jumped in with both feet and already have a nice fleet of planes and heli's. Over the past year I have been learning 3D (not around back then), learned to fly heli's (thanks Real Flight! own a Titan, Mini Titan, and an Axe CP that I converted the electronics on) and am about 75% done with a TF GS Corsair that I am adding plenty of scale detail too (it will be a thats cool scale plane for obvious reasons but it is plane #510 from the VFW 312). This will be the second bipe in my fleet as I have a Super Skybolt that I rip up the sky with. I do not fly real birds although many of my family members have been or are licensed. I wish it were more economical to learn and fly nowadays but oh well. Trust me I would love too learn!!!

well enough about me back to the Waco!!!

I admit I haven't done much model number or history research yet I picked a plane that looked good. That crimson and cream is really pretty! Thanks for the info Skylark. New Airplane site ummmmmm (Homer Simpson voice). I am not sure how much scale I am going to get into....I know some of you are cringing.... but knowing me I will try to build a Top Gun model....emphasis on TRY. How areobatic were or are the WACO's? I am showing my rookie status but like I said haven't done my reading up YET. Are some more Aerobatic than others? I assumed they could perform mild aerobatics. I guess the trainer status of the model I posted has me hung-up. Who wants a trainer . Also how good are Ikons kits in scale, buildability, and of couse what we all intend to do with these rascals flight? From the site they look like really good kits.

well enough for now

Daren
Old 11-09-2007, 09:53 PM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

Michel, My Genesis has the wood block cowl ring that was made up of square blocks glued together and then hand formed. It took a while but well worth the effort. I have the fiberglass ring but could never could get it to fit properly.

Name:	Mk25377.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	800306  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.