Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 181 of 715 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281681 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 17859

Thread: WACO YMF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WACO YMF

My thought with the flat wire, seriously above my ability and patience to setup and re setup and take off and re setup and take off and re setup repeat etc.

Now if it were a 1/4 scale or larger, I would have kept with it.

Anyone know of a "for looks" option that would be acceptable?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MrDHud,

Dan,
    I talked with Stan's Fibertech on Saturday, and he was laying your cowl up then. Won't be too long now. We are going to need to cut the lip down on the front of the cowl. It will set too far back into the engine compartment. This can easily be done by taping off what you want to keep, and using a Dremel with a cut off wheel to remove the unwanted part. You can finish off the cut with sandpaper.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACP Brotherhood #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SuperCub Man

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: SuperCub Man

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Hughes,

I'm thinking seriously about ordering a set from Switzerland. Have you seen them? They look real.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Bill - If you are talking about fittings as in the pix. the flat wire is available from Nelson Hobby Specialties in Texas http://www.nelsonhobby.com/wires.html and the fittings are available from Bob Holman Plans http://bhplans.com/. I'd suggest you phone him. You get a pair of fittings for about 2.50. One is threaded and the other end is not so that you can simply turn the wire and tighten it to your specs. I think these are the same as Reeves offers. I got them and will be using them on my Dragon Rapide!
    Them's the ones. How about posting an address, phone number, and/or internet address?????

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

I thought I just did!!
    On the phone with Jerry Nelson right now hoping he had that flying wire back in stock. I had just asked him a month ago about it last time. He has been out for a few months. He suggests Proctor. They have a flat wire that is actually clock spring. It is shown on Proctor Enterprises site if memory serves. It is "flat" not streamlined. It keeps getting tougher to find this stuff. The stuff Nelson had was an industrial product that was no longer needed, hence no longer made. Jerry said it would have been about 15K to get a batch done just for him. I didn't mention he might take it off his site.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: WacoJoe

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

I don’t know if any YMF/UMFs were converted to cabin versions.
    I've never seen any records to indicate that a YMF/UMF ever had a canopy installed. F-6 series (ZPF-6 primarily) had the canopy over the rear cockpit, and there may have been some F-7s as well.

Joe
    WB #54
    WacoJoe,

Sorry I can't post the photo as it can't be downloaded but the Waco Club has a beautiful 1935 UMF-5 NC14687 posted on their site with a first rate canopy conversion done to it. (I took a photo of it off my monitor though) It looks like an old photo so maybe the factory had something to do with it. Originally sold to Ms. Hope Noyes Aviation. C.C. Hicksville, L.I. N.Y. I don't know what the C.C. means in the production record unless it has something to do with Custom Canopy.

Edit This looks like one of Texaco's AC at one time as well. It's c/n is 4215. It looks like it met it's end on or before 1945. It has not been redesignated. Records show c/n 4214 is a YMF-5 and still Airworthy.

Would you know if Waco had it's own factory in Ft. Erie, Ontario, Canada or if someone like Fleet was building them under licence? I was surprised to find out recently that there were Canadian built Wacos. The upper right corner of the one cover shows that this Waco was built in Fort Erie, Ontario. The other cover cuts off the name of Canadian City with Waco plant.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	By76296.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	807364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz78297.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	807365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om33464.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	807366  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

H-500, I use beading cord that is available from craft supply stores. It has enough elastic to keep it tight, and you do not have to worry with the tension. I use black on the Super Stearman and silver for the WACO.
    Jim,
    WACO Brotherhood #3, AMA 816592, IMAA 41683,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John (Joe Average),

You are correct that UMF NC14687 is pictured with a canopy and I missed it when I looked at the picture before. After looking at the photo, I also noticed that the navigation lights are on the leading edge of the upper wing like most UPF-7s and not halfway between the LE and tip like most original YMF/UMFs. The photo also reveals fairings over the strut mounts, a metal foreward cockpit cover and the foot peg pretty well. The emblem on the fusealage appears to be a triangle and not a star like Texaco used. The pictures below are from the HARMs UBF-2 NC 155Y "TEXACO 17"

Name:	Xu62815.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	807622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca82563.jpg 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	807623  
    John F Howard (aka skylarkmk1)
    AMA 10955, WACO Brotherhood #26, AWC, NWC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello John,

You're right about the triangle. Because of it's sporty appearance I thought "Texaco" but the ownership didn't jive. It could have been, and would make sense that the triangle and enclosed cockpit may be a Civil Air Patrol role. ??? Another example shown.
    I'm sure someone will know for sure and advise.

John

Name:	Nl29501.jpg 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	807652  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John,

The Civil Air Patrol emblem is a good possibility with the Dark Blue background (looks Black in the B&W photo). Since the registration was cancelled in 1945, I feel the chances of conformation is slim to none.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

John,

The Civil Air Patrol emblem is a good possibility with the Dark Blue background (looks Black in the B&W photo). Since the registration was cancelled in 1945, I feel the chances of conformation is slim to none.
    The Civil Air Patrol gets it's marching orders out of Scott AFB. Maybe someone there has info, If that fails, the CAP museum is at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery AL. Chances are they would have information on all CAP aircraft, especially those that were used as patrol aircraft during WWII.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Jim, I'll look into that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill,

Thanks for the CAP info, I'll start digging. I felt and still feel that voluntary conformation is doubtful, but with the info you have provided, there is a good chance that a record exits that may prove that UMF NC14687 was a member of the CAP.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There were hundreds of civilian owned airplanes that were used for patrol aircraft during WW II. One was credited with sinking a U-Boat off the Atlantic coast. Who knows how many other ships were scared-off because of them. They pretty much provided our coast lines with anti-submarine patrols for the entire war. Heck, they dang near sank one of ours.[:@]

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I live about two hours from Maxwell AFB. If they do have any records of a Waco being used by the CAP, I'll be glad to make the drive for more research, if it is any help.
    Scott
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

I buy, I build, I fly, I crash. I buy, Ibuild, I fly, I crash. I buy, I build,................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Skylark1

See http://history.nhq.cap.gov/historica...atrol_airc.htm regarding General Memorandum-29, May 25 1942. "...now required the removal of the red three bladed propellor from the CAP aircraft emblem on all airfraft assigned [to Costal Patrol]. The official CP insignia now consisted of a blue circle with white isosceles triangle was the only authorized insignia for CAP-CP aircraft. This was in keeping with the current practice of the AAF to avoid confusion with Japanese emblem. This directive and practice remained in effect until the Costal Patrol units were disbanded in 1945."

Red 1
    [formerly LtC, Historian, Maryland Wing, Civil Air Patrol]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi JoeAverage,

See my post above. Also, the caption on your photo reads as follows: "NC14000 is a 1937 Waco YKC mc/n that is owned by Byron and Jeannie Hight of San Jose. As this plane was once used by the Civil Air Patrol to patrol for enemy submarines, Byron has recently added CAP [Costal Patrol ] markings and is looking for a shackle, for his dummy bomb."

I have forwarded this photo to Col. Leonard Blascovich, CAP National Historian, asking if he knows of any CAP CP AC registration list.

Red 1 [aka Don Borton]
    AMA IMAA
    Waco Brotherhood #72

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don,

Thanks for the link to the CAP emblem information. As I read it, my interpretation is that only the Coastal Patrol Aircraft had the Red Propeller deleted and all other aircraft flying missions in the interior of the US retained the red propeller.

If Col. Blascovich does have a listing of CAP A/C used during the war and there is a link, could you please post it? My search so far has found links to current activities, State Wings and other stuff, but not to historical info (except for the history on the CAP Museum pages) such as aircraft and/or personnel listings.

Also ask Col. Blascovich about 1935 Waco UMF, NC 14687, s/n 4215. Its registry was cancelled on Jan 16, 1945, no reason given.

As you were the Historian for the Maryland CAP Wing, you may have connections to info that is hard to come by for those not connected with CAP. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So everyone knows :
    Aircraft Modelers Research is bringing back the most famous 33% and 40% Waco kits. Shipping to start in February 2008, ready to take your order now. The new owner is particulary proud of its new product : lighter then the previous and more fiberglass parts.

Michel Normandin

Waco Brotherhood #78
    Aircraft Modelers Research

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skylarkmk1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skylarkmk1,

Let's try that again. Wilco.

Red 1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Damifino,
    Did you ever come up with paint masks for the cowl...
    Tony, AMA 120246
    WACO Brotherhood #71

Hi Guys,
    does anybody have files in the format .svg = scalable vector graphics, for the decals of a YMF-5?
    I have one in the .dwg format , but I cannot convert them. Also possible is jpeg. They must be compatible with Corel Draw.

Regards
    Bernie
    Waco Brotherhood #63

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bernie,

Check back on page 175, post # 4357 and go to the website posted. After you click on the down load button for the Waco logo, another page comes up that has Corel Draw listed. If Corel can open an .EPS file (Encapsulated Postscript file) you are good to go. On pages 175-176 the are more logos listed and posted. If any I have posted can be of use (.jpg format) send me a PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JoeAverage

WacoJoe,

Sorry I can't post the photo as it can't be downloaded but the Waco Club has a beautiful 1935 UMF-5 NC14687 posted on their site with a first rate canopy conversion done to it. (I took a photo of it off my monitor though) It looks like an old photo so maybe the factory had something to do with it. Originally sold to Ms. Hope Noyes Aviation. C.C. Hicksville, L.I. N.Y. I don't know what the C.C. means in the production record unless it has something to do with Custom Canopy.

Edit This looks like one of Texaco's AC at one time as well. It's c/n is 4215. It looks like it met it's end on or before 1945. It has not been redesignated. Records show c/n 4214 is a YMF-5 and still Airworthy.

Would you know if Waco had it's own factory in Ft. Erie, Ontario, Canada or if someone like Fleet was building them under licence? I was surprised to find out recently that there were Canadian built Wacos. The upper right corner of the one cover shows that this Waco was built in Fort Erie, Ontario. The other cover cuts off the name of Canadian City with Waco plant.
    Hi John,

Waco was all about building aircraft to customer specifications, so they did a lot of custom and one-off stuff. That being the case, it's very possible that they did the canopy installation on the YMF-5 that you're referring to. I've just never seen any documentation of it is all. That certainly doesn't hold a lot of water because there are several folks who are much more well versed on the history of Waco than I am. But if the factory did it, it's a pretty well kept secret!!

I have no knowledge of Waco building aircraft in Ontario Canada, but again that is not a guarantee that it didn't happen. My guess is that it may have been a license agreement situation. I'll have to see what I can find out about that. Someone on the National Waco Club forum will have the scoop.

Cheers!

Joe
    WB #54

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BigBoy99

Hi Guys,
    does anybody have files in the format .svg = scalable vector graphics, for the decals of a YMF-5?
    I have one in the .dwg format , but I cannot convert them. Also possible is jpeg. They must be compatible with Corel Draw.

Regards
    Bernie
    Bernie,

I just sent as set for the 1/5th scale version to damifino. He is looking into getting them scanned for reproduction. It should be simple for them to enlarge them to 25% size.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay, Here is the roster to date.

WACO BROTHERHOOD MEMBERSHIP:

#1 stickbuilder
    #2 Hughes500
    #3 Jim Henley
    #4 mmattockx
    #5 CTflyboy
    #6 michaelj2k
    #7 Ronj10
    #8 gwulle
    #9 jim schroer
    #10 Skinny Bob
    #11 Bart5495
    #12 Pimmnz
    #13 HarryJ
    No. 14 Old Git
    #15 ChrisMH
    #16 Nerevar
    #17 Ricatic
    #18 Clay H.
    #19 Tripp2Loo
    #20 KHodges
    #21 Bill Hogue (WACO One)
    #22 Mangolo (Waldo)
    #23 av8ter
    #24 yel914
    #25 damifino
    #26 skylarkmk1
    #27 Jacque
    #28 Edwin
    #29 AROPLANE
    #30 CubNut (Anthony)
    #31 BQuartucy (Bob Q)
    #32 AERORON
    #33 funkymusic
    #34 Live Wire (Larry)
    #35 obo (Bob)
    #36 Jackk36 (Jack)
    #37 fatherrooster (Jim)
    #38 Ilikebipes
    #39 Kestrel0222
    #40 CROWMAN17 (Marc)
    #41 redcesar
    #42 S. Christensen (Scott)
    #43 Bill Deidrich
    #44 Mike Barbee
    #45 mrdhud (Dan Hudson)
    #46 SoCalSal
    #47 Todd (NightStalker)
    #48 argon (Bob Gonzalez)
    #49 mango 12 (Scott)
    #50 skyjet 1
    #51 ZIG
    #52 Didg
    #53 MarvinE255 (DOC)
    #54 Joe Norris (Full Scale WACO Pilot)
    #55 vasek
    #56 SuperCub Man (Jim)
    #57 Black Drape (Ron)
    #58 aminiet (Angel Minet)
    #59 Snowball
    #60 doc zinger
    #61 jagnweiner (Scott)
    #62 Meesh (Bob)
    #63 BigBoy99 (Bernie)
    #64 stifts (Steve)
    #65 RCWalker (Wallace)
    #66 Mobyal
    #67 lazyace
    #68 bladerunner1955 (Don)
    #69 trlambsr
    #70 Big Bird (Ken)
    #71 Tony V (Tony)
    #72 red 1
    #73 412t1 (Sean)
    #74 Mr Lucky (Ben Warner)
    #75 RICKSTUBBZ (Rick Stubblefield)
    #76 ffdg (Fred)
    #77 tomcraig
    #78 Michou41a Michel
    #79 Watzscale (Dick Watz)
    #80 Devens
    #81 msilvestro (Mark)
    #82 Cheechukranch (Lewis)
    #83 kruzin55

#100 nine o nine (Mitch Epstein)

WACO Sisterhood Roster:

S-1 Janelle (Lady Stickbuilder)
    S-2 Sissy Nightstalker
    S-3 Barb Barbee
    S-4 LadyMango (Lynda)

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1