Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 183 of 715 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233283683 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,575 of 17871

Thread: WACO YMF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WACO YMF

Cowl masks......not yet, I have to have a cowl before that can happen. Maybe before christmas.
    Everybody knows you can\'\'t make a time machine out of a Tilt-A-Whirl.........-:WACO Brotherhood 25:-

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: damifino

Cowl masks......not yet, I have to have a cowl before that can happen. Maybe before christmas.
    Ahem.........You are getting the first one that was pulled. I can't help it if you live out in the Toolies.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sklarkmk 1 ,I built this dhc-2 from a unionville kit...around 180 bucks.It has an 8 foot wingspan.I did a few mods to the kit but overall it was good.I built my own wingtips and put all the servos in the wings.Covered with solartex and powered by a saito 120.This plane flies great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay74455.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	809169  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Snowball,

Thanks. I want to build one to go along with the Super Cub I am building. I was thinking about doing the paint scheme similar to the SCs and DHC- 2s that are featured in the β€œBush Pilots of Alaska" video. The Unionville DHC-2 seems to be one of the nicest kits out there although there is a set of plans/laser cut kit by "Mr Aerodesign" that has many parts available (landing gear, cowl, tail fairing etc) that is also very nice but a bit bigger.
    John F Howard (aka skylarkmk1)
    AMA 10955, WACO Brotherhood #26, AWC, NWC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i got an idea to build a 42% CubJ3 along with a 40% Waco.....

Name:	Yw67541.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	809235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk30638.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	809236  
    Aircraft Modelers Research

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim Henley---As promised, here are some shots of the spring struts I made for my UMF. First one shows the spring assembly as it mounts to the forward gear mount block; the second shows the spring assembly by itself, and the third shows the bracket location on the lower gear leg for the other end of the strut. You could probably substitute aluminum tubing 1/4 " diameter for the carbon fiber I used. I had a rod that was 3/16 square. I laminated a couple of pieces side-to-side to make the struts 3/16 x 3/8, and they are about 7-1/2 inches long with the brass pieces at each end for the screws to fit through (4th pic).

Name:	Tr51864.jpg 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	809524   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa86518.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	809525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec87537.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	809526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22036.jpg 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	809527  
    Club Saito #2, WACO Brotherhood #20. What other trouble can I get into?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,

I see that you cut some weight out of the main gear. Are you going to go for one of the new cowls? I think that they would fit yours just fine.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a little teaser as to what I have been doing this afternoon. I wanted something other than the cookie cutter instrument panels that I always see. Here is the main panel sheet, with the instrument insert. The holes will be filled with a scale set of instruments from Hobby Lobby. The main panel is from gun stock cherry, and the insert is golden oak. The sides and back of the cockpit will be from the gunstock cherry, with the exposed tubing as an overlay. the floorboard will be matte black, and I'm thinking about having the stick and rudder pedals linked to the control servo's as well. The pilot is from an Officer and a Gentleman, and has khaki trousers and a red leather flight jacket.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Name:	Xv63321.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	809624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up46586.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	809625  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill,
    I am using a panel very similar except the insert on mine is brushed brass, .005 thick with a 3/32 square aluminum border. I'll post some photos when I get a little farther along with it. The Genesis cockpit is a lot different shape than the original Picas.
    Harry J
    Waco Brotherhood Lucky #13

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I see that you cut some weight out of the main gear. Are you going to go for one of the new cowls? I think that they would fit yours just fine.
    Yeah, Jay convinced me that it would be plenty strong if I removed the center of the gear leg and I also removed a square section between the mounting rails. So far it has worked very well, I had it bend very slightly at the bottom tab where the axle bolts in, the last hard landing I had. I was telling Jim Henley that the struts limit the spread of the legs on landings, and once the struts reach the limit of the spring travel, that's the only place that has any "give" left. You have to hit pretty hard, though. I really think that softer tires help the landings a lot, and my Sullivan wheels are a bit harder than I like.

I do like the cowl, and will probably order one in the next few weeks. I don't fancy having to mask off those dang blisters, though; it was a real PITA the first time around.

Speaking of acronyms, I heard one I like, fits me pretty well, anyway: P I C N I C---- Problem In Chair Not In Computer

Name:	Nl30186.jpg 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	809646  
    Club Saito #2, WACO Brotherhood #20. What other trouble can I get into?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Harry,

Great to hear from you. How about posting some pics of your genesis? I'm sure we would all love to see them. Don't stay away so long.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,

Speaking of Sullivan Wheels, I checked the plastic wheel version of the 4" wheels out at the hobby shop, and could not tell much difference between them and the ones that I use (aluminum wheel). They both felt pretty soft. I do know that the aluminum wheel version uses a foam inner liner. Don't know about the plastic wheel version.

The cowl is worthy of taking the time to do as it should be done. I'm thinking that mine will have the crab design on the blisters, rather than just painting the entire blister as I did on the ABS plastic version. It will obviously take more time (lots) but I think that the end result would justify the expenditure.

I still like the acronym; Delta Squared, Sierra Squared.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill,
    Here is the latest ones I took, more updated ones to follow.

Name:	Us53491.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	809665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb88936.jpg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	809666  
    Harry J
    Waco Brotherhood Lucky #13

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harry,

Is that the Moki 215 on the front? we have several members of the Brotherhood running this engine on their big Wacos. I was impressed with the power that this engine develops. When Mike Barbee was flying his at Top Gun this year, you could hardly hear it in the air. If more than one plane was up, you actually could not hear the 215 running. It was smooth as glass. Pity Moki doesn't make one in the size that would be useful for the fifth scale. They have the new 150 out which would probably work well for a quarter scale version.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank You Ken, I think I can adapt that to my WACO. I will have to come up with a way to secure the mount to the music wire but I think it is do-able. How did you fabricate the brass ends? Was it from sheet stock? How thick?
    Thanks again !
    Jim,
    WACO Brotherhood #3, AMA 816592, IMAA 41683,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jim Henley

Thank You Ken, I think I can adapt that to my WACO. I will have to come up with a way to secure the mount to the music wire but I think it is do-able. How did you fabricate the brass ends? Was it from sheet stock? How thick?
    Thanks again !
    Jim,

We should have the scale gear available shortly from Sierra Giant Scale. I believe they will be worth the expense and the wait. The stock gear has always been the stumbling point for the fifth scale Waco from Pica. The new gear should alleviate the problems with bouncy landings. If they do not completely eliminate the problem, they should at least mitigate the lack of shock absorbtion. Give Darrell a call.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you have any ideas as to what modifications will have to be made, and will the new installation take away from the original design looks of the model?
    I have already covered the belly of the plane and landing gear fairings, but if it will keep me from playing basketball on the runway it may be worth it to do open heart surgery.
    I would like to see pictures before I commit to the project.

Angel
    B 58
    SO MANY WACOS, SO LITTLE TIME.......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: aminiet

Do you have any ideas as to what modifications will have to be made, and will the new installation take away from the original design looks of the model?
    I have already covered the belly of the plane and landing gear fairings, but if it will keep me from playing basketball on the runway it may be worth it to do open heart surgery.
    I would like to see pictures before I commit to the project.

Angel
    B 58
    As soon as I get my hands on the pre-production prototype, I will post pictures. I think we will have to add a plate to the existing hardwood gear mounts, and the gear will mount to the plate. I, too will need to perform surgery (once again) to this one. This plane has been apart and together so many times, you can just about whistle, and it will disassemble and reassemble. Tons of modifications on the fly, but if they all prove out, it will have been worth it.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fellow Brothers: NEED YOUR HELP...Need to find a picture of the Waco Classic logo w/ Black center leteering and gold wings...cannot find it in the Net...

Best Regards.......Argon Brotherhood # 49?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: argon622

Fellow Brothers: NEED YOUR HELP...Need to find a picture of the Waco Classic logo w/ Black center leteering and gold wings...cannot find it in the Net...

Best Regards.......Argon Brotherhood # 49?
    Bob,

You are actually Brother #48. Look on page 176, starting with post # 4380. I think that this is what you are looking for. There are some more below that.
    Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

All

I don’t know any more about this kit, other than what is on the website, but Iron Bay Models http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/ has an 88” Waco UPF-7 (1/4 Scale) that is supposed to have a fiberglass fuselage and foam wings or laser cut built-up wood structure wings. Bulkheads are pre-installed, wings and tail assembled and more. Seems to be inbetween an ARF and a full wood kit and you will have to contact them for more information and pricing.

Mango12 (Scott),

This may be a source for a ΒΌ scale cowl for your YMF if it has the blisters. You can always make a Cuban UMF with a smooth cowl. See the NWC site for photos.
    The Byron kits were great. The foam got dinged easily but.....in every other aspect for "Stand off scale" model which is pretty much what every other model discussed here they were great. Hugely popular for those who could afford them. I heard though the grapevine that the assets were sold for a song and the expertise to run the now old injection machines can not be found. When it first changed hands there were lots of bits to be had. Call and ask for something, that will qualify the situation. For months I got the fax machine, at the moment the line is busy. The site has little and says that lots more in not available.

http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/i...rplaneKits.htm

There is a kit here, and may be a deal yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Airplane-Byro...QQcmdZViewItem

Still busy, if I get my Waco parts I'll be back.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The National Waco Club has the best rendition of the original Waco Logo/Emblem. I am a member but it is not my position as a new member to decide to post it here. Go to
    http://www.nationalwacoclub.com/

There is a contact link to the president Andy Heins. If you tell him that you are a member of the Brotherhood and what your intentions are in using it I am sure he would e-mail you a copy of it. As another member stated a while back, there are settings on the NWC website that prohibit copying pictures and such from the site. I mentioned this to Andy regarding my wanting a picture of a ZPF-7 to place on my computer desk top wallpaper. Andy sent me all of the pictures of every ZPF-7 the following day. He understands fanactic love for the Waco. A polite request just might gain you a copy of the original Waco Logo. It really is nice in its original Gold and Black. Although the picture posted on page 176 is accurate it is not portrayed in its original color format.

Ben
    Mr. Lucky
    Brother # 74
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

argon,
    maybe this will help.. go to the store......
    http://www.wacoclassic.com/about.html
    Tony, AMA 120246
    WACO Brotherhood #71

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

argon

Hope this comes through..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tony, AMA 120246
    WACO Brotherhood #71

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Someone else here posted this a while back. It's the best I've seen. With this, a Photoshop operator and the real trouble, a printer with metallic ink, they do exist though, it may possible. Color copiers will suffice for small images quite remarkably. The smaller prvious image is crisper. Maybe it would work better. Testors ink jet printer paper in clear or white backgrounds work great once sealed if you have an image to copy.

Name:	Jg14253.jpg 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	810115