Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 PM
jagnweiner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: WACO YMF

Thanks, John.

BTW, does anyone have any recommendations for a dummy radial to fit in the 1/6 cowl? Doesn't have to be too fancy.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:39 PM
skylarkmk1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tony,

Not sure which you mean. Are you talking about the push rods from the control stick or the push rod from the bellcrank to the aileron horn? I have posted pictures of both;

P1 End view of the lower wings of QCF-2 NC 12428 with the push rod to the control stick, sticking out.
P2 Bottom view of the same wings with the straight rod. The bell crank cover needs to be installed. (yes that is a Gee Bee behind the wings)
P3 Top view of the bell crank to horn push rod. Straight version.
P4 View of the push rod install on UBF-2 NC 2091K. Notice that this rod has a “kink” in it to avoid contact interference with the trailing edge. It depends on the particular plane as to which rod to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95543.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	811940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59255.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	811941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61051.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	811942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40724.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	811943  
Old 11-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think that the 7 cylinder radial from the Top Flite PT 17 is about right for 1/6th scale. That's the one that Pettit used ont the 1/6th version that he had in RC Report a couple of months ago.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-25-2007, 08:49 PM
jagnweiner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Bill. I'll check it out.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dan,

Looking forward to it. This one is number 6. The first one, was powered by a Maloney 125, and was way underpowered. I let a guy talk me out of it. Number 2 was powered by an OS 120 single. Great flying plane. I let myself be talked into selling that one too. Number 3 had a MOKI 180 2 stroke for power. It would take off in about 20' and go straight up. You really had to stay out in front with that one. It got sold as well. Number 4 had an OS 160 twin for power. It resides with an old friend (I gifted it to him). Number 5 is hanging in the Tennessee room (If I still lived in Tennessee, It would be a Florida room). Number 6 is what you see framed up.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: swampstik

greetings stikbuilder;
I'm looking for flying info on my waco that I bought last year in the bones.
It is a sterling kit SRE Kit FS 34. Very old ;stored in the attic I think.
I've got it ready to fly but the cowl is so short that much of the motor sticks out. I will make a new one from fiberglas. The wing span is 56 inches and the length is 46 inches;my power is a 61 RJL glo engine;very reliable.
I fly a stamp about the same size. and am very successful
I;m an intermediate flyer of 40 years or so.
Can you tell me from your experience with waco's what things to look for.
I will be bringing it out to the field Tuesday for a maiden.
Thanking you in advance >I remain
happy to fly;
Roger Damore

Roger,

I have never built the Sterling SRE. If it is like most Waco's, it will be an honest flying plane. Don't bleed off too much airspeed on your approach, or you will eat the threshold. The Waco's glide like a crowbar. Keep a little throttle in and fly it all the way to the ground, then chop the throttle, and let the tail settle. Normal landings with stiff wire gear tend to be a tad bouncy, so be ready for that. On takeoff, be ready, If the H-stab incidence is a little light, it will try to do a quick loop on you. I would do a speed taxi, and let it rise a little, and get the feel of it. If it seems okay, you can always complete your takeoff. It will probably need a little down trim. I don't remember for sure, but I think that Sterling reccomended some right thrust and about 2 degrees of down in the engine. Is that right?

Take it up a couple of hundred feet, and do some stall tests before you try to land it. Just make sure it doesn't drop a wing and try to tuck under on you. Let's see some pics of the first flight, and keep us posted.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Hello all

Can some one help me I'm not sure how to sand the edges down.

Dan,

Grab a sanding block with some fairly aggressive paper on it, and bevel the leading edge pf the Vertical stab, and the Horizontal stab. The leading edge of the rudder and elevators should be rounded, and the trailing edges beveled as the leading edge of the V&H Stabs. The trailing edges of the Vertical and Horizontal stab should be kind of squared off. Take a scrap piece of balsa, and practice sanding on an angle to bevel the edge. Go slow, and don't try to take too much off at one time. It will be okay.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

ps....Get used to sanding. Wait until you see the wing tip leading edge blocks.

B.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 PM
mrdhud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Bill I will sand them this week and post a pic so you can see. I started cuting out the balsa parts for the fus tonight. Have you heard any thing on the landing gear yet??
Old 11-25-2007, 10:05 PM
skylarkmk1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Roger,

I guess I had a moment of CRS before and missed the part about your Waco being a SRE. The Photos are of the SRE NC 58785 that came to the AWC Fly In in June 2007 at Creve Coeur Airport near St. Louis, MO.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	He97140.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	812047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65524.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	812048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12097.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	812049  
Old 11-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dan,

Nothing on the gear yet. The Holiday messed a lot of things up in the business world. The square ribs that are on the stabilizers and elevators and the rudder need to blend into the bevel that you will sand. If you look at a cross section of the tail surfaces, the ribs would end up looking like they are bullet shaped.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-25-2007, 10:38 PM
skylarkmk1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dan,

Here are a few photos of the tail surfaces of 1987 YMF Classic NC 14081(s/n F5009) to help you visulize the shape. Note that the V & H Stabs are quite thin, the UPF-7s have a much thicker airfoil. The full size is made from steel tubing with the rib strips going over the spar. As the tail surfaces are made from tubing the hinge line has both edges rounded and not squared off. The Classics were built based on the Original plans and certified under the original Waco type certificate. The Supers have many improvements/changes (about 300).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Qo39467.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	812088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45066.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	812089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83861.jpg
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	812090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41436.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	812091  
Old 11-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Tony V.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

John .

Thx for the quick reply, but I am talking about bottom wing aileron to top wing aileron ? ( connecting rod)
Old 11-26-2007, 01:08 AM
cheechukranch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill,

Okay, I'm in for a number...what's it up to? As for the Gekko's of SEA, you're thinking of the other common one not found as often in the homes of Bangkok. Cheechuk is a good example of onomatopoeia, so they're clean...the other one, not so.

From email, it seems we've several folks here that lived in and around Thailand when America was running the Vietnam War out of Pattaya Beach. The only Waco that exists in Thailand to my knowledge was a fine 1/4 scale UPF built from photos and flown by a Thai at one of the many RC fields in the suburbs. Interestingly, he also flew an F8 Bearcat in the Royal Thai Air Force up until the early 60's when they finally started flying jets.

Lewis
Old 11-26-2007, 01:10 AM
Tony V.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scott,
The GP P-17 radial is to big for your 1/6 scale. It is 8" in dia. I am using it on my 1/5 scale look at page 163, post 4060..
Old 11-26-2007, 02:48 AM
Black Drape

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey
I might be getting a little ahead of myself, but I just ordered a set of plans from MAN for a Waco SRE. I really like that plane, my cousin had the old Sterling kit back when I was a teenager. I was very impressed with it. The plans I ordered were drawn by Douglas Hobbs, the span is 72 inches, and the lenght is 56. Has anyone had any experience with this plane? Now I don't know whether to start my Pica kit or the SRE. Tough choice. If anyone could shed some light on the SRE for me, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Ron
Waco Brotherhood #57
Old 11-26-2007, 06:05 AM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lewis,

Look back on page 180, and you will find the Brotherhood rsoter (latest version) You will find that you are Brother #82.

NEW BROTHER ALERT

Have fun with it.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 AM
skylarkmk1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tony,

Whoops, wasn't even thinking about them. Here you go on YMF Classic NC 14081. Lower, Close Up and Upper Connections. Note the mounting bracket is reversed between the upper and lower ailerons and moves the upper closer to the trailing edge. Other Wacos of the 1930s used a streamline cross section a bit smaller than the "N" struts as seen on the Yellow 1931 QCF NC 11247.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ge94056.jpg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	812330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75297.jpg
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	812331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18017.jpg
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	812332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19123.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	812333  
Old 11-26-2007, 08:32 AM
swampstik

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanx for the info stickbuilder.
I will check the incidences again and I thank you for the info.
I will be bringing it out tomorrow . I fly at the sarasota rc squadron flying site in sarasota. There are a lot of very good flyers and knowledgeable guys to help.
Again I appreciate your input and I will report to you after maiden.
Cheers
Roger
Old 11-26-2007, 08:38 AM
swampstik

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SRHello Ron;
Bought a SRE in the bones last year .Very old frame ,must have been in the attic for years. Took it home and reworked it. Replaced some wood and reglued parts.
Its ready to fly tomorrow. I had some input from stickbuilder. I will reply tomorrow or the next day how she fairs. I have my fingers crossed.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:24 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been reading from the beginning of this thread and have made it through page 51. Wanted to ask how the T-shirt deal worked out. I would be interested in signing up for the next production run if such a thing were to happen. Or if there were any overstock from the first run I could buy one of those.

Also wanted to ask: Has anybody used a "Brotherhood" logo of sorts on one of their planes yet. When I build my WACO, it will be built scale like. Meaning I want model it after a full scale. Would like to put a Brotherhood logo of sorts and my number on it. Heck I would be proud to put that on any of my planes regardless of what type they are.

Also, I would be interested in recieving PM's from others on the Progress of cad and/or 3d model files. I too am AutoCAD, Microstation, & Solid Works capable. I would like to contibute in this way if possible. Don't want to redo a bunch of stuff that someone else has already spent time with.

I still say there is one heck of a wealth of info on this Thread. A lot of good people on here. Glad to be a part of it.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 AM
jagnweiner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Tony V.

Scott,
The GP P-17 radial is to big for your 1/6 scale. It is 8" in dia. I am using it on my 1/5 scale look at page 163, post 4060..
Tony-

I agree. I had looked at that but it won't work. I think I may go with the Aerotech version that was mentioned on the same page. They are a local company and I know Wayne, the owner.

Bill, when you said to try the Top Flite P-17, were you actually referring to the Great Planes? I cannot find any reference to a Top Flite P-17.

Thanks,
Old 11-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I read the article that Pettit wrote for the Oct. issue of RC Report. I will look at it when I get home this evening, and repost what he said exactly. I did mean the PT-17.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: RICKSTUBBZ

I have been reading from the beginning of this thread and have made it through page 51. Wanted to ask how the T-shirt deal worked out. I would be interested in signing up for the next production run if such a thing were to happen. Or if there were any overstock from the first run I could buy one of those.

Also wanted to ask: Has anybody used a "Brotherhood" logo of sorts on one of their planes yet. When I build my WACO, it will be built scale like. Meaning I want model it after a full scale. Would like to put a Brotherhood logo of sorts and my number on it. Heck I would be proud to put that on any of my planes regardless of what type they are.

Also, I would be interested in recieving PM's from others on the Progress of cad and/or 3d model files. I too am AutoCAD, Microstation, & Solid Works capable. I would like to contibute in this way if possible. Don't want to redo a bunch of stuff that someone else has already spent time with.

I still say there is one heck of a wealth of info on this Thread. A lot of good people on here. Glad to be a part of it.
I was talking with Jay (damifino) the other evening, and we agreed that we need another run of the shirts. If we go with a different color, it will mean a complete redesign and color set up. What we may do is to keep the same color for the print, and go with a different color shirt.

If you like, you can contact him regarding using the logo on a plane, or for any other use. The design belongs to him. I don't know whether it is copyrighted, but It is his porperty.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-26-2007, 02:54 PM
jagnweiner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I read the article that Pettit wrote for the Oct. issue of RC Report. I will look at it when I get home this evening, and repost what he said exactly. I did mean the PT-17.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bill-

The phrase "P-17" was my typo. I meant "PT-17" as well. I just couldn't find any reference to a Top Flite version. I just did a search and found Dick's thread on RCU on the Cox 1/6. It is the dummy from the GP Stearman ARF. He also said that he cut it down a lot to make it fit. I may just go that route anyway, given that mine is not all that detailed. Not sure that I want to spend $50 for the Aerotech.

Thanks for all your help and you don't need to do any further work on my behalf.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Tony V.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scott,
You are right. I had just finished looking it up also. The picture looks good. Much better then an open hole..

Sorry Bill ..

Search this Thread