Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 202 of 705 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252302702 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,050 of 17604

Thread: WACO YMF

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WACO YMF

bill.
    Were you refering to the democrat run congress on your last post, on the last sentence ?

Angel
    b 58
    SO MANY WACOS, SO LITTLE TIME.......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Skinny Bob
    Brother's, what do you think?. Should we hold an election?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

old git - - - - - aka John L.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think that I can speak for John here. I had a dream of resurecting the Pica Waco YMF/UMF. I only wanted this wonderful model airplane to not become lost to the ages, as have so many grand old model airplanes. This undertaking was accomplished with the help, aid, assistance, and goodwill of many model airplane enthusiasts. It is not, nor has it been the work of only a couple of people, but rather the determination of many. I don't know how many times that I was ready to give up on the tracing of all the cut parts, only to be prodded by e-mails, PM's and phone calls. John is the repository of more knowledge of Waco aircraft than anyone that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

There is no credit to be taken with this endeavor. It was a labor of love on my part, as I'm sure it was from everyone who participated. There have been contributions, both large and small, but all have been of equal value. This is not, "Stickbuilder's thread", as I have seen it called elsewhere. It is the property of all members of the Waco Brotherhood. You are all equal owners of all that is found herein. It doesn't matter if you came in early, or have just joined, or even if you won't become a Brother for years. Once you do, you can take pride in the fact that we didn't let the Pica Waco YMF die. It lives. As long as the AMA maintains the plans service, model builders will be able to cut the kit and build this most beautiful of all Biplanes. That is not just an accomplishment, it is a Legacy. I am proud, and at the same time humbled to have been a part of it.

Merry Christmas, and best wishes for the coming New Year. I hope that you all prosper, and are able to realize your dream of having this model completed and in flying condition.

Bill
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I never refer to any political party here on RCU. [8D][:'(]

Bill, WACO Brother #1
    Its easy, just glue all the pieces together, and sand off everything that doesnt look like an airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It was one year and nine months ago today that I made the first post on this thread. There have now been four thousand nine hundred and ninety nine posts since that day. I hope that you will all allow John to make the milestone post that will take us into the five thousand plus posting record. He has earned that right.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill,

Just got home from work and I thank you all for the letting me have post 5001 as Bill has the honor for Post 5000.

I also thank Bill for his fore thought in starting this thread; with out his effort and guidance, I would not have made the effort to become Waco informed. I am fortunate enough to live relatively close to Creve Coeur Airport (or Dauster Field), Home of the Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum (with at least a dozen Wacos in it) and host to the American Waco Club annual Fly In.

To Terry Chastain, Chief Waco restorer for the HARM, Al Stix and John Cournoyer, principles in the HARM and Creve Coeur Airport and members of the AWC, NWC, Joe at Waco Classic Aircraft and others, many thanks for sharing your knowledge and allowing me to photograph your planes to pass on to the Waco Brotherhood.

As those of you who have looked at the House of Moy site http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ have found out, I have compiled a list of Waco information that is by no means complete, but from these sources, I have gained the knowledge that is available to anyone who puts fourth the effort to learn. If anyone has additional sources of info, documentation, plans etc. please send them to me so the list can be updated.
    John F Howard (aka skylarkmk1)
    AMA 10955, WACO Brotherhood #26, AWC, NWC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: old git

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

old git - - - - - aka John L.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

John Livingston,

I just went back and checked. Of those who are online, you were the next person to make a post here on the Brotherhood site. You came on board on page 3. Please feel free to celebrate with us. You have stuck with us and made significant contributions since the beginning. Thank you for your inputs. They have been timely and meaningful. I only wish that you were able to be with us more often. John, I would appreciate your making an historical comment before you go and have your first cuppa. Or your Bovril.

Bill, WACO Brother #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the kind words Bill, I have enjoyed this thread enormously and feel as if I have been among friends.

I have also used the info' found here as fuel for my dreams. It is not necessary to build to be an aeromodeler - but it helps!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to ALL from this side of the pond.

old git - - - - aka John L.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would like to write a word or two about what this thread has done for me.

I have been out of this great hobby for too many years now. Long story that I will leave untold. So, currently, I don’t belong to a club and don’t even know any to talk shop with on a personal basis.

I have always loved classic bipes and the WACO in particular. One day a few months ago I was searching around on the internet and back door-ed this thread after finding the house of moy site.

Anyway, the commodore within this thread is great. It makes me feel a part of a club and part of this hobby once again.

The knowledge and experience that is shared in here is β€œPRICELESS”. With out a doubt I thank you, Bill, John, and Ken because of what you guys have brought to this thread.

But I also thank everyone that participates to make it what it is. Every build tip, or photo, or just general shop talk, makes this something great to be part of.

Even β€œNightstalker” has a place in history with this thread. Would still like to see pictures of some of those old Ukies…

Yes I am building again, albeit a couple of small kits that will be static display models that I am doing for my grandsons. After Christmas and New Years I’ll be getting my old junk prepped to fly and get started again.

But thanks to all the motivation and Ideas I have acquired from this thread I am also prepping my next builds. First will be the BUSA EAA Bipe, then the WACO. Again, thanks to you guys I am motivated to build the WACO in quality scale like manner as it was intended.

I hope this thing goes another 5000 post. It’s great to be part of it, and all of you have made it that way. You have made a difference at least in this one persons life.

Thanks!!!
    Rick, AMA 115812-WACO Brotherhood #75
    To discover something better....You must be willing to try something different

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John,
    Did I understand you correctly as to the WACO strut cross section being something similar to the picture below? If so, and if you had to guess, what would the three dimension be on the full scale?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eb86755.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	831204  
    Rick, AMA 115812-WACO Brotherhood #75
    To discover something better....You must be willing to try something different

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I received a PM from Marc (RCU Administrator) last evening, congratulating us on our milestone. His question was: Did I think that we would hit 10,000 posts in the next 19 months? I told him that I had not a clue. In fact, I am as surprised as anyone that a thread that caters to a single model of a plane would grow as this one has. I can promise all of you, that When I made that first tentative post on 21 March 2006, I would have bet money that it would have lasted for a few posts, and fizzled out just as all the others seem to do. I am tickled that we continue to march forward. I just wish that all the old Brothers would come back, and stay in contact. We are still gaining members, but some have obviously dropped by the wayside. They are still Brothers, and their names will never be purged from the roster. It would delight me to no end to see our Children and Grandchildren continuing the love for these old planes, and to know that the Brotherhood continues to grow.

Bill. AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim,

You did notice that my new one is going to be white with Red trim, or is it red with white trim? Anyhow, the plane will start out white at the nose, scalloping in to the red, and the plane may wind up with more red than white area wise.

Bill, WACO Brother #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Over 5000 posts, AMAZING !! Just goes to show what an awsome plane the Waco is, and how much fellowship it has brought to these pages. Way to go guys.
    Scott
    Scott
    Waco Brotherhood #49

I buy, I build, I fly, I crash. I buy, Ibuild, I fly, I crash. I buy, I build,................

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rick,

The cross section is more like P1 below. There are no straight lines; the long sides are a gentle curve that blends into the edge curves as P2 tries to show. The next time I get to CCA (might be awhile), I will get the measurements and try to get a photo of the strut cross section. The measurements shown are best guess right now, the width may be a little wider, and the edge radius may be a little smaller but I believe them to be in the ballpark.

P1 – Strut Cross Section, rough drawing, measurements are approximate.

P2 – Rear Strut on UBF-2, NC 2091K. The strut angles forward so the footprint on the wing is not quite correct, but you can see the curved shape.

P3 – Strut mounting lug on QCF, NC 12428. The struts fit over the lug and bolt thru as shown in P2

P4 - Interplane struts on YMF Classic, NC 14081. Different attachment to wings than in P2/P3. Note the connections to each other, the high point can bee seen as a shadow running the length of the strut and the difference between the struts and the aileron connecting rod.

Name:	Qo41274.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	831265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd93114.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	831266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11215.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	831267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn35425.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	831268  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good morning Bill. My wife would like to request membership in the Waco Widowhood, er Sisterhood. She loves the T shirts and we both look forward to the next edition. Thanks for all you do. You have inspired many of us modelers to keep the old rag alive.
    Kits show building skills, ARFs show shopping skills. WACO Brotherhood #24

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill and John, you guy's have to take credit for what have you contributed to the airplane modeling world. Bill, you started this, John, you have supplied documentation and photographs that would not be so readily available to us if it were not for your love of the WACO. Bill, you have many, many hours of building experience with this model that also would not be here for use if not for the same reason. I don't think you two guy's truly know how much you have given to the modeling community. The same for all the brothers for all they have contributed. I'll bet there are hundreds of airplane model builders reading these posts who have never checked in.

No, No election. The basic rules of the Brotherhood was that there would be no meetings, no dues, no elections, and no officers. The Brotherhood Historian is not an officer, but the official keeper of the specifications for the marque. We should not try to violate the Basics of the Brotherhood that have so far withstood the test of time. Let's not mess with a good thing here. Thanks for the input, but I'm against it. If you have any officers, then that leads to more rules, and more rules leads to less interest.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1
    Bill, I didn't really mean it. I should have put some smilies after it.
    Skinny Bob - AMA 713081
    WACO Brotherhood #10
    I ain\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'t from the south but I got here as fast as I could.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a dream ........
    Careful, Bill, or we'll have to name an avenue for you in Troy, Ohio

Instead of Prez, howzabout just referring to you as our Founder (everybody remove your hat and tip your head). You and John are the logical choices, election or no. You started the thing, and have the judging skills to know what we need to focus on with details, and John has the source to provide the info and the skills and artistic eye to organize and catalog it. The Brotherhood as a whole I feel is unique to itself as a bunch of enthusiasts who discovered a common love for a thing and want to keep it alive. The Waco provides the direction and cohesion for us all.

Mainer Jim, I remember your posts a while back regarding the theft of your r/c . Have you ever discovered who the *****bird$ are, and has there been any prosecution, hanging, maiming etc of the culprits?

John and Angel-- the rod with balsa leading and trailing edge sanded to shape is what I did on my ARF, it looks good and is extremely strong. I used carbon fiber rods, about 3/16 or 1/4 (can't remember right now) and it had a hole down the middle that 2-56 threaded rod was a perfect slide fit inside. I epoxied pieces of the 2-56 rod in each end of the carbon rods, and used DuBro rod ends threaded on the 2-56 rod. Epoxied the balsa to the rod and carved/sanded to shape. They are as light as the struts included with the ARF, and immeasurably stronger. I used the brackets included with the ARF, not quite scale, but not glaringly obtrusive to attach the struts to the wings and fuse.

Name:	Ay76057.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	831353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To43522.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	831354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx71671.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	831355  
    Club Saito #2, WACO Brotherhood #20. What other trouble can I get into?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All,
    Here are a couple of shots of the repair I made to my landing gear, I also included in the repair a spring mechanism to help control the spreading of the landing gear legs on a hard landing. ("ALA-Khodges). Need to do a little filling and finish sanding and I will be ready to get some primer on the repair.

Name:	Qo40350.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	831360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu66260.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	831361  
    Jim,
    WACO Brotherhood #3, AMA 816592, IMAA 41683,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know if this will work or not, but I have been keeping a running index of this thread for quite some time. I know there is another index available on the House of Moy, but I thought this might (or maybe not) be easier to use. It only covers the construction aspects of the 1/5 Scale Pica Waco because I am scratch building her and these items were important to me. Thus I thought it might be of interst to others who are also scratching a build and would like quick access to the plethora of detailed info available on this site! I add daily, or as items of interest become available.
    This site won't let me upload anything other than .jpg, gig or txt, so I've tried cheating by putting the .txt tail on a .pdf file. It appears that by simply clicking on the txt that it opens in Adobe Reader - obviously you have to have Adobe read installed to use it - but most people do as it is a free program.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jim, MAAC #5343
    WACO Brotherhood #56

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim,

You did notice that my new one is going to be white with Red trim, or is it red with white trim? Anyhow, the plane will start out white at the nose, scalloping in to the red, and the plane may wind up with more red than white area wise.

Bill, WACO Brother #1

Bill, no, I'm still hopping about the thread....it's hard to imagine how truly full this thread is of great WACO building tips, scale tips, and everything else. I just pick a page and I read and read. I keep trying to start at the beginning and go, but then I get excited and skip ahead to see how this or that came out, and then off I go again!!! I have to admit, this is as close to pure fun as anything I've done in many years (I've managed to stumble across some UN-pure fun here and there, of course...) , and it really is exciting to be any small part of it.

Along those lines, I can understand Bill and John's steadfast advocacy of a non-officer organization. But I think we can hold an Attaboy session for the two of them. Why? Because this thread, this particular labor of love, this creation they have nurtured from its infancy is nothing short of phenomenal. In the full-scale world, although there are many, many small attributes to the WACO Bipes, there are NONE as massive and concentrated and enthusiastically followed as this thread (That I can find anywhere).

In the past, I've taken a run at having a WACO, but after a while I couldn't find any great following. I thought that maybe the WACO just didn't look as beautiful to other guys as it did to me. When you're building something like this, you need to know there's others who have been there, and not many of us have the true pioneer spirit. That's what I see in Bill and John, and indeed, it must be truly infectious, because everywhere I look here I see unbridled enthusiasm and comeraderie, the kind that my friends and I had when we were young, and the kind you don't see these days, not at the field and, sad to say, more rarely in RCU than I would like to see. You can tell just by reading my recent posts that I've been trying to resist it, but this thread makes me want to push back the stuff on the sides of my shop, put in a bigger table, and BUILD myself a WACO, a BIG WACO!! Scale details and the works! I went out and found big, beautiful WACO shots to put on my computer desktops. Mind you, I may never actually BUILD one, but you never know, I might BUY one somebody else built if I don't! But I have a really strong feeling that there will be a WACO with scale detail in my future because of this thread.

So, ATTABOY to each of you, Bill and John, and thanks for whatever that special thing is you brought to this thread. I don't know how to spell the French words except phonetically; "that Jennay-say-Qua!"

I'm having fun here, and THAT is totally unexpected and VERY welcome. You guys ROCK.

Jim

khodges...No, nobody was ever brought to justice in any way..no proof of any kind was ever given to me, without that even vigilante justice can't be served. So, I'm looking at all of it as a new beginning and I'm exploring the new worlds of ARFs and electrics, and getting to know some of the new Saitos. Kinda miss my Scale SIG Spacewalker II fuse and my Brison 2.4s though....ouch...***sniff***snort****HONNNK!!***Si gh**** Ohh, well, I have the SPW-II wing still hanging on the wall...pretty wheel pants.. Okay, maybe I'm not quite over it, but a WACO would help some for sure!
    J.M. Surra, author of AERODYNAMIC and
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken,

I think I got the tube and balsa strut idea from you, I know it wasn't my idea originally. Now to find the fitting I want yo use, maybe the model sailboat builders have the right ones, got to look.

Jim Henley - those new inner struts are looking good, very scale like.

SCM - send your index to ChrisMH, web guy for the House of Moy to post. I have been a little busy and have not had time to update and compete the index I started. And I like your format better.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yel914

Good morning Bill. My wife would like to request membership in the Waco Widowhood, er Sisterhood. She loves the T shirts and we both look forward to the next edition. Thanks for all you do. You have inspired many of us modelers to keep the old rag alive.
    Ummmmm, Do she have a name? Or a name that she goes by on the RCU? You gots to come up with something, I ain't gonna yell hey, You and expect her to answer.

Bill, WACO Brother #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mainer Jim,

The Attaboy only works if every Brother (and Sister) get one. This ain't been a one or two man show. It is everyone's thread, and that is why it's a Brotherhood. If I had called it Bills Place, it would have died 18 months and 29 days ago. Thanks for the kind thoughts, but there is no I in Brotherhood.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yel914

NEW SISTER ALERT

Gentlemen, we have a new sister. She is BUMBLE GEE BEE (Gabi). Welcome in Sister #5 Hope you have a blast with it.

Bill, AMA 4720
    WACO Brotherhood #1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Attaboys (and girls) all around, then. But Bill, I haven't done a single thing to deserve one. But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express! That must be what made me smart enough to join the Botherhood!

WElcome to the Hood, Sis yel914.

Jim
    J.M. Surra, author of AERODYNAMIC and
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .