Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 09:50 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WACO YMF

And don't think that just because some of us early members don't say much that we don't look in each day, we just don't have much to say...but we do own WACO's and we go flying cause down here its flyin' time again.
Evan WB #12.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:55 PM
kruzin55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally found the time to fix the 1/6 scale waco. It had a SuperTigre Bluehead .61, but was missing the high end needle valve. Bought the wrong size replacement carb from Tower Hobbies, so I installed an Evolution .61 with Pitts that I had in spare with a 12"x6" APC. A little dremel work on the cowl and its up and running. The Pitts sounds great and the .61 pulls hard. Any suggestions on prop sizes? Didn't have an aluminum spinner and adapter nut, so I used a spare plastic spinner to start the engine. I am jonesing for some good weather to try her out! This winter will never end. My next project is to finish the 1/5 scale waco that I have on the the bench.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90630.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	831779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14993.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	831780  
Old 12-22-2007, 10:38 PM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give myself a big DUH about not giving my wife's info. It was early-what can I say? My wife is Gabi and I'm Rick, just like in the movie PARIS WHEN IT SIZZLES. Gabi would like to be called BUMBLE GEE BEE. Sorry for any extra work. I'll just keep quiet and go work on a plane now. Thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 11:05 PM
Live Wire

yel914
With out the support of the ladies where would some of us be My wife has put up with this hobby for 52 YEARS Just call her the Short Circuit
Old 12-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Live Wire

Jim H.
You guys are still scarring the crap out of me with your landing gear. I wonder if I should even try to fly with mine . I made some changes back in 86 but they are not what I see now.
Sitting here looking at that thing day after day and wondering what to do next. This thread has to be some thing else when you get so much info. that you keep wanting to change something to make it better
Oh and we may not post very often but still the best on the net.
Thanks to all and a MERRY CHRISTMAS may the next year be the best for all.
Happy building and a great new year of flying .
Oh yess we do not need Osifiseres
DOING GREAT WITH WHAT WE HAVE
Old 12-23-2007, 02:14 AM
BigBoy99

@ALL

Hi guys, here on this place I will wish You all a

M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S and a H A P P Y N E W Y E A R !!!!!

and say thanks to the great help and support I got here, that goes not witout saying!

Bernie

Here a christmas Link:http://badaboo.free.fr/merryxmas.swf
Old 12-23-2007, 05:56 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: yel914

I'll give myself a big DUH about not giving my wife's info. It was early-what can I say? My wife is Gabi and I'm Rick, just like in the movie PARIS WHEN IT SIZZLES. Gabi would like to be called BUMBLE GEE BEE. Sorry for any extra work. I'll just keep quiet and go work on a plane now. Thanks
Rick, and Gabi.....It's all fixed. The roster is updated, and the welcome as well.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: BigBoy99

@ALL

Hi guys, here on this place I will wish You all a

M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S and a H A P P Y N E W Y E A R !!!!!

and say thanks to the great help and support I got here, that goes not witout saying!

Bernie
Bernie,

Good tidings to you and your entire family from those of us on this side of the "Pond". We are happy to have you as a Brother, and look forward to hearing more from you and your Big Build. Hope to see you one day.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-23-2007, 06:25 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Rick,

The cross section is more like P1 below. There are no straight lines; the long sides are a gentle curve that blends into the edge curves as P2 tries to show. The next time I get to CCA (might be awhile), I will get the measurements and try to get a photo of the strut cross section. The measurements shown are best guess right now, the width may be a little wider, and the edge radius may be a little smaller but I believe them to be in the ballpark.
John,
Thanks once again.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Jim Henley

Larry,
Good to hear from you, the landiing gear modifications are because I can't land the thing! If I could get it down with out breaking it I would have left it alone
Old 12-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

Jim H.
You guys are still scarring the crap out of me with your landing gear. I wonder if I should even try to fly with mine . I made some changes back in 86 but they are not what I see now.
Sitting here looking at that thing day after day and wondering what to do next. This thread has to be some thing else when you get so much info. that you keep wanting to change something to make it better
Oh and we may not post very often but still the best on the net.
Thanks to all and a MERRY CHRISTMAS may the next year be the best for all.
Happy building and a great new year of flying .
Oh yess we do not need Osifiseres
DOING GREAT WITH WHAT WE HAVE
Larry,

The standard gear is safe enough (if you land the thing well), but I think what we are trying to accomplish here is to make the model more forgiving on landing (at least I know I am). This model has always landed well on grass, but was not very forgiving when you wanted to land on a paved runway. Hopefully, when I get my hands on the new one from Sierra Giant Scale, that bugaboo will be a thing of the past. I know I sure don't enjoy landing one of mine on the hard stuff. If they would let me count each bounce as another take off and landing, I would only get to make one flight per month at the club field. They would claim that I had used my flight allotment for the month with each flight.[:@]

Good to hear from you, and don't be such a stranger. Always good to hear from another Brother.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Stickbuilder

Scott, Rick and Evan,

Golly it's good to hear from you guys. Don't be strangers. We really miss you when you don't stick your heads in the door and say hello from time to time.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-23-2007, 07:45 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

just want to say MERRY XMAS to all and to all a good flight and [landing]
Old 12-23-2007, 08:06 AM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

To All,
Just Thought I'd drop in and wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS

GEORGE
WACO Brotherehood # 5
Old 12-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Stickbuilder

George,

We've missed you and all the other Brothers who don't seem to come home now and then.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Stickbuilder

I spent some time last night working on the hinge system for the elevators. I have scrapped several attempts. I think I have an idea that will both work well, and appear scale at the same time. I don't want a metal to metal hinge if possible to avoid it. I am trying to eliminate any RF noise in the control system, since I don't currently have a 2.4Ghz system (and don't yet know if I even want one). It is always the little things that bog me down. I guess that the devil is truly in the details.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Garthwood

JIM.............your attachment, fantastic idea. Ocassionally I visit this thread. Getting too long to follow, but great just the same. Built my Pica Waco YMF 3/5 1:6 Scale about two years ago. Not detailed as you guys. I have not flown this Waco this year, mainly because I need to reinforcement the landing gear. I built it to fly it and enjoy it. Love the way it flys. Can someone tell me what the numbers that came with the kit "N1935B" means ?. Attached is a picture of the Pica kit WACO YMF 1/6TH.

THANKS
Charles.
Not sure if I'm one of the WACO Brotherhood.

Name:	Kh17560.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	832117  
Old 12-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Garthwood

Hello Jim................Nice work. Do you have any "How to" pictures of your main landing gear reinforcement to minimize spreading of the gear ?. I like that set up.

Thanks
Charles.
Not sure if I ever became one of the WACO Brotherhood.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Garthwood

JOHN.............NICE work. Reminds me when I was building my Pica 1:6. Is this the 1/5th or 1/6th ?

Charles.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:08 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wanna take this opportunity to wish all the Brothers and their families a very Merry Christmas. It's been great this past year reading all this great Waco stuff, it's odd how you get a feeling of each person's personality just from how they write and so far it's been borne out by the two other Brothers I've actually met, Skylark MkI and Damifino. I hope this coming year presents opportunities to meet more of you. It'd be wild for the Brothers to converge on CCA next June. The Waco owners would think we were a plague of locusts (without the negative connotations) the way we'd be everywhere with our cameras and tape measures; there wouldn't be a square inch of any part of a Waco unmeasured or unphotographed.

My "new" workshop is taking shape. All the tables and shelves are relocated, all I got to do now is organize all the tools, parts and materials. My new building table looks like a carrier deck compared to what it used to be. I'll post a pic when it gets presentable.

Garthwood, here's a couple of pics of the spring assembly the struts attach to. I like Jim's struts much better than mine, even though they do the same job, his look much stronger and "cleaner". The key to the spring assembly is at least an inch of travel and a stiffer spring than you think you'd need. I can't compress mine between my fingers. The bracket attaches to the front rail that the main gear attaches to. Jim's looks similar to mine, but he should post pics too, his attachment may be a bit different. My plane is the Cox ARF, his is kitbuilt, and there are differences in the structure.

Name:	Vt58318.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	832131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46750.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	832132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52505.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	832133  
Old 12-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Garthwood

Hi Don...................I have built the Pica 1:6th, that's what was available about three years ago. It was my first biplane build and my first to fly. This Waco is a pleasure to fly with no bad habits. It is a lot of work, fits in my truck with both wings on. The 1:5th is pretty much built the same way, but bigger. If I had a choice I would have built the 1:5th. But logic told me to go slow on this first biplane build and to fly it. I installed the Saito .91 Horizontal. I built the WACO to fly and fly. It is a pleasure to fly. I have not flown it this past summer, as I need to reinforce the main landing gear, but just can't find the time to do it and how to do it without any major surgery. This was my third airplane since starting in the hobby. The WACO was a stepping stone for me to move on to a more agile biplane the Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300, (10 Lbs.) much heavier than the WACO 1/6TH.

Good luck with your building and decision. This thread is quite a teaching tool, there's some really excellent advise from the more experienced guys.

Charles.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Garthwood

khodges......................And a Merry Christmas to you and yours too. Thanks for the pics. I need to figure this one out as mine is already covered. Just how to get in there, that's the tough part. I probably need to remove some of the bottom sheeting.
Thank you.

Charles.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:34 PM
skylarkmk1

Charles,

If the numbers that were included in your kit are decals for the wing, "N1935B" is the "N" number assigned to the first Waco YMF built by Waco Classic Aircraft, a 1985 Waco Classic, s/n F5-001, owned by Ronald Opatril of Arizona. This particular plane has a Jacobs R755B Series engine installed. If you contact Waco Classic Aircraft http://www.wacoclassic.com/ they may be able to furnish you with a photo and/or the exact paint colors used on the plane.

The Pica kits were made from the 1970s to about the mid/late 1980s (as far as I can tell) and N1935B mave have been an attempt to update the kit. Unfortunately, all the Pica YMF kits (should have been UMF) had the cowl blister layout template for the UMF/Continetal Engine with paired blisters and no template for the YMF/Jacobs Engine with evenly spaced blisters. The simple fix would have been to include the cowl blister template for evely spaced blisters on the plan and give the builder a better choice as to which model to build - YMF or UMF.

In the photo you posted, the correct designation would be a Waco UMF (pair blisters on the cowl). Nicely done engine installation with the Saito and nice dummy radial.

P.S. - As another member is doing a 1/6th Waco, please tell us what engine you used and where you obtained the dummy radial.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:50 PM
skylarkmk1

All,

If you guys have not found the thread about the Barth YMF kit, you should check it out. Bernie (BigBoy99, WB #63) is doing some very nice work on detailing his YMF. The latest pictures are of the wing tanks in the upper wing and are looking very nice. I believe Bernie is making a YMF Classic instead of an original 1935 YMF.

Barth thread link http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49..._1/key_/tm.htm . This is the first page, the tank pictures are on the last page (18)
Old 12-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Jim Henley

All:
Regarding the landing gear modifications, the idea for this was Ken Hodges, he originally made the modification to his 1/5 Cox ARF.
After a rrrough landing on the maiden, I found I need to make some repairs and Ken reposted his photos of the spring and mounting block. Since mine is the 1/5 Pica Kit, I did have to remove the sheeting between the wire gear including the 1/4 square stringer that goes down the middle of the fuselage. Once I had made the spring mount and fastened it to the landing gear rail, I used 1/4 square stock on each side to span the opening and to replace the original stringer, I had to put an angle on my spring mount so that once it was attached to the landing gear rail it would sit tangent to the sheeting. Ken also has a spacer that sets the mount for the struts just off the fuselage sheeting and I incorporated that into the modifications as well. The struts are 4-40 threaded rod with 4-40 X 2-56 ball links on each end. When I got the lenth established I wraped the threaded rod with tape to keep it from touching the brass sleeve that covers each strut. Following Ken's lead I also added more sheeting to the stock wire legs and then 'glassed over the whole thing.
One other thing those of you who have your airplane completed, check the tires, I used a solid Skylite tire and they are hard as rock.
I think that the hardness of the tire contibuted to the rough landing ( asphalt runway). Ken is working with the Robart tire and inserts so will wait on a report from him before I either go to the Robart or the treaded Du-Bro wheel

Name:	Pn37667.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	832217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87265.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	832218  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.