Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Old 12-26-2006, 05:11 PM
WacoCabinaero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

I really like the Kangke ARF, it looks great. It does not however look like any other UPF-7 that I have seen. If a guy attempts to locate plans for it, you'll get the less than desirable UPF-7 that was first posted []
I don't get it! What am I missing was the point of posting that ARF picture!
Where did the picture go?
Old 12-26-2006, 05:19 PM
gwulle

Has anybody seen the Waco YMF-5 featured on the cover of this site(RCU),it's beautiful !!!
Old 12-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: WacoCabinaero
Hi Bill and Waco Brotherhood, I like Jim have a GP Bipe, in fact two, but have fallen in love with a Waco UBF-2 ( Pic attached ). I am working on drawing my own plans at about 1/5 scale. I have been watching this thread for some time and would very much like to join the Brotherhood under #10 if available. Looking to getting a bunch of help from all you guys.

Skinny Bob
[/quote]

I have been intrigued by the UBF-2 and some of the other Radial engined "RING COWL" versions. It was a red UBF-2 that actually drew me into the Waco fold. The QDC Cabin model is another that would use the similar front end. To my knowledge it has not been modelled. The 1/5th scale is good. What parts will you use to achieve the scale engine and ring treatment? This I would be interested in. I have since picked subjects that there are cowls for. Good luck with the drawing.

Bill
[/quote]Bill, I don't know if any dummy engines or ring cowls are available. I figured I might have to build them myself. Ring cowl of fiber glass, dummy engine don't know yet. This project is going to take quite awhile as I am just getting started. I am using Corel Draw to layout the plan and then print out on my Roland PNC 1000. There are no scale plans avialable for the F-2, but the YMF-5 is close enough to use except for the cowl. I think the fin is a little different also. will have to study the two a little more.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Skinny Bob

ORIGINAL: WacoCabinaero
Hi Bill and Waco Brotherhood, I like Jim have a GP Bipe, in fact two, but have fallen in love with a Waco UBF-2 ( Pic attached ). I am working on drawing my own plans at about 1/5 scale. I have been watching this thread for some time and would very much like to join the Brotherhood under #10 if available. Looking to getting a bunch of help from all you guys.

Skinny Bob
I have been intrigued by the UBF-2 and some of the other Radial engined "RING COWL" versions. It was a red UBF-2 that actually drew me into the Waco fold. The QDC Cabin model is another that would use the similar front end. To my knowledge it has not been modelled. The 1/5th scale is good. What parts will you use to achieve the scale engine and ring treatment? This I would be interested in. I have since picked subjects that there are cowls for. Good luck with the drawing.

Bill
[/quote]Bill, I don't know if any dummy engines or ring cowls are available. I figured I might have to build them myself. Ring cowl of fiber glass, dummy engine don't know yet. This project is going to take quite awhile as I am just getting started. I am using Corel Draw to layout the plan and then print out on my Roland PNC 1000. There are no scale plans avialable for the F-2, but the YMF-5 is close enough to use except for the cowl. I think the fin is a little different also. will have to study the two a little more.
[/quote]

Okay, Skinny Bob... You're #10 (I'm starting to get confused...we are going to have to make a roster to keep it straight) Who wants to be keeper of the roster. I think that you can do it here, and edit the post when (if) we get another member.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

ps. I think that you can pull off a reasonable bash to the UBF-2 from the YMF. It looks as if you will have to section some of the nose, cut down the headrest, and reshape the vertical stab. The wheel pants will need to be a little smaller, and the cowl ring will need to be made. I think that you could cut down a fiberglass YMF cowl and accomplish this. Does anyone make a scale Jacobs 7 cylinder engine? I suppose that you could take two of the front halves and glue them together and come up with something that looks correct with some modification. It's different, you gotta give it that.

Bill
Old 12-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

That's a really good question []

Guess it upset some one [&o]
Old 12-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Stickbuilder

Okay, Here is the roster to date.

WACO BROTHERHOOD MEMBERSHIP:

#1 stickbuilder
#2 Hughes500E
#3 Jim Henley
#4 mmattockx
#5 CTflyboy
#6 michaelj2k
#7 Ronj10
#8 gwulle
#9 jim schroer
#10 Skinny Bob
#11 Bart5495
#12 Pimmnz
#13 HarryJ
No. 14 Old Git
#15 Pimmnz (Evan)
#16 Nerevar
#17 Ricatic
#18 Clay H.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Skinny Bob

Hey Bill, don't you get confused, this is your thread, you are the keeper of the roster. I would rather transform then bash the YMF. You are right on all points, there are a lot of differences between the two. Top wing rear cutout, bottom wing fairing, headrest, section nose, vertical stab, etc. I think williams Bros or whom ever took over may have the scale engine. I will build the ring cowl. I will also bring both the YMF and UBF fuse into Corel Draw at same scale to determine any nose diff to section. Thanks for your input Bill, I am glad your are not upset with my plan to ( TRANSFORM ) the YMF. Looking forward to input and help from all the brothers.

Regards
Old 12-26-2006, 10:24 PM
bart5495

ok I'll take #11. I'm currently working on my second aeromaster then I'll take on the waco
Doug Hall
Waco Brotherhood #11
Old 12-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Stickbuilder

Hey Bill, don't you get confused, this is your thread, you are the keeper of the roster. I would rather transform then bash the YMF. You are right on all points, there are a lot of differences between the two. Top wing rear cutout, bottom wing fairing, headrest, section nose, vertical stab, etc. I think williams Bros or whom ever took over may have the scale engine. I will build the ring cowl. I will also bring both the YMF and UBF fuse into Corel Draw at same scale to determine any nose diff to section. Thanks for your input Bill, I am glad your are not upset with my plan to ( TRANSFORM ) the YMF. Looking forward to input and help from all the brothers.

Regards
If you are going to be #10, then that needs to be part of your signature (so we don't get confused) It is NOT my thread, it is the thread for all of those of us who love the alphabet soup that Weaver Aircraft Co. started back 80 some years ago. No one should get bent out of shape that someone is transforming the various models to replicate another WACO. After all, that's how the models progressed from one iteration to another. I'm looking forward to following your build of the UBF-2. Now who is going to do a CTO?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-26-2006, 10:48 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, pimmnz and Evan are one and the same, just the e-mail thing you know. I don't know if I should have a number as I am a wee way aways from the USA, hence the `nz' (New Zealand). There is a possibility I may be offered a job in Miami, but it's early days yet and I may not accept, depending on the conditions etc. Tell me, are there clubs/modellers around that area? A positive answer from the business may mean I will have to take a number later, how do you get a couple of 1/4 scale biplanes that far without damage?!
Evan.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:33 PM
HarryJ
My Feedback: (98)

Bill, if lucky #13 is still availble I would like to latch on to it. Seems like that number has always been good to me. I'm trying to resize some pictures so they will be acceptable, much to big now. Has anyone seen the 1/6 scale Waco SRE that Sig is coming out with? I don't know how accurate it is but the side view looks good. It was in the December issue of R/C Report.

Harry
Old 12-27-2006, 05:03 AM
Stickbuilder

Evan,

I'm sure that there are multiple clubs in the Miami/Dade county area. I know for a fact that there are several active clubs in the Ft. Lauderdale area (just North of Miami) So come on over. I live a couple of hundred miles north of Miami. Leesburg is just outside Orlando in Lake County. You deserve the number, so take it. We are proud to have you. After all, old Git is from the U.K. and we have mambers from Canada as well. If you will hurry and get here before the first of May, I'll take you to Top Gun.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

HarryJ,

Yep, you can have old lucky #13. Glad to have you. (dang, shoulda thought about charging dues , oh well, maybe next time)

Bill
Old 12-27-2006, 06:26 AM
old git

Hi Bill - and the rest of the Brotherhood,

I’m honoured to have it suggested that I become a member of “THE BROTHERHOODâ€

As to my membership of the Waco Brotherhood, I don’t feel worthy of membership of such an elite group. I have been following this thread with rapt attention (and learning a lot). It’s been really useful despite the fact that I’m not building a Waco. I would like to build one though it isn’t part of my on-going plans, you are all just too too seductive.

I have quite a stack of kits (the easy way out) begging to be built and don’t know if I can get to the end of the pile before I get my wings; (feathered I hope but who knows, maybe leathery?)

Finally we just do not quite speak the same language, we say No (Number), you say “Hash†and that symbol isn’t even on my keyboard.

Old git - - - - - -aka John L.

PS
On the subject of language it’s really odd sometimes. Our ladies have Hot Flushes but yours have Hot Flashes. We have Plasterboard but you have Sheet-rock and so on and so on. I think it was George Bernard Shaw who described the situation as “Two Countries Divided by a Common Languageâ€.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Stickbuilder

John L.,

Be that as it may, we would still love to have you as a member. You have contributed significantly to this thread. If your computer keyboard has no hash or our number symbol, we can easily overcome this. Simply sign off as John L., WACO Brotherhood N0. 14. It's as easy as that. We have members from Canada, Down Under, and would love to have one (or more) from the U.K.. Do not let the distance factor bother you. In fact, you and I have less distance between us than one of the members from California, Washington or Oregon would have from me.

The love for the old airplanes (aeroplanes) that were manufactured under the Alphabet soup nomenclature that was begun by the Weaver Aircraft Company, is all that is necessary to belong. I feel that you more than meet these requirements. If you wish to be a member, your number will be 14. If not, we will keep this number open and available to you, should you decide to join at a later date. (this is the exception to the earlier no rules statement)(this is the only rule other than the love for these old ragbags that has been posted)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

ps: who knows, you might even improve out useage of the language.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:46 AM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Geeeez, you guys know how to gab. I feel like an introvert in the midst of a hord of extroverts.
Anyway, for those interested in whopper Waco's, Proctor offers 2 kits in 1/4 and 1/3 Waco scale from a german manufacturer. The price will knock your socks off. Here is a pic of the 120 inch span built by Kieth Harris. 43 lbs. (I hope his unique headress is not a mandate of the fraternal order of wacobrotherhood)

If you love to build you have to pay the price

waco#7
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82546.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	584347  
Old 12-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Nightstalker

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

Hi Bill - Finally got to show the li'l goils da Tinkerbell... "WOW look at Tinkerbell in that plane..." ( at about 120dB). Then my darling Daughter says, "How come your airplanes aren't that shiney Daddy?". I thought for sure they would be all over the Tinkerbell pilot, but NOOOOO... look at that shiney airplane she says... Kids! Gotta love'em. Oh, and I showed my wife as well and she says, "Pretty... what's somethng like that cost? I thought about it for a second and said..., "Commitment and attention to detail...". So I say (jokingly), "Not bad for a 19 year old kid going to college living with his folks, huh?"... "Seems like a good kid... He's considering the Navy as a career...". And she replies, "Yeah, he did a really nice job"... (as she meanders back to check dinner and I'm barely containing a gut laugh!)

Again, Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Todd
Todd,

Why aren't your airplanes that shiny? (tsk-tsk) Are you guilty of building dull airplanes Todd? [8D]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Sitting next to a flat black ARMY Special Ops helicopter my planes are mirror like! Shiney is in the eye of the beholder... And I did "fess up and told my wife about you and your building experience and Navy career... "Yeah after 26 years in the Navy, he decided he really wasn't cut out for the Navy...". "And he'll get the hang of building and painting model airplanes with a few more years of practice...". She really should be used to me by now...

Out Here,
Todd
Old 12-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Jim Henley

To All:
I am posting these in the hope they will assist those of you who are still struggling with what to use for a power plant.
This engine is a Saito 150, I is one of the (physically ) larger engines they make. I was torn between the 125 A and the 150, but went with the 150 because it is rated at 2.5 BHP, which is slightly more than the 125-A.
What I hope these photos show is even with the larger size of the 150 it fits with little modification (butchering) of the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24818.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	584387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58118.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	584388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38973.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	584389  
Old 12-27-2006, 11:11 AM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Any one know what to polish iron on covering with. (please, negative comments about iron on serve no purpose, everyone has their likes and dislikes). Even using a teflon iron and care I still get scuffs and some rub marks. Has anyone found a good polish or rubbing compound? Monokote has a polish but it is more a wax and cleaner than an actual polish.
Thanks for any tips.
__________________________________________________ ________

waco#7
Old 12-27-2006, 11:43 AM
pimmnz

OK, pimmnz (Evan) is #15.
Evan, Waco Brotherhood #15.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Skinny Bob

Ron, you might try the auto-body suppliers. They have some very fine grain rubbing compounds and polish plus a final glaze. I have used these products on auto paints, but not on Monokote. It might do the job for you.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:20 PM
old git

Hi all,

I am proud to take on Honorary Waco Brotherhood No 14. Thanks very much for the privilege.

To ronj10, I apologise for my excessive verbosity.

John L. Waco Brotherhood No 14.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Stickbuilder

I use a 3M polishing system. Compound, sealer,glaze. Run on with a foam wheel. I don't know what kind of Iron-on material you are using, but on Monokote, and the other plastic film, Meguiars quick detailer works wonders. It shines without much cutting, and there is no residue to worry about. Just spray it on and buff it dry.

Check out the new roster.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Stickbuilder

Sitting next to a flat black ARMY Special Ops helicopter my planes are mirror like! Shiney is in the eye of the beholder... And I did "fess up and told my wife about you and your building experience and Navy career... "Yeah after 26 years in the Navy, he decided he really wasn't cut out for the Navy...". "And he'll get the hang of building and painting model airplanes with a few more years of practice...". She really should be used to me by now...

Out Here,
Todd
Todd,

When are you going to join the Brotherhood? #16 is available. Or any integer larger than 15

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Skinny Bob

Out Here,
Todd
Todd,

When are you going to join the Brotherhood? #16 is available. Or any integer larger than 15

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
This group is growing fast Bill. I'm glad I joined before you started charging dues!.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Stickbuilder

Out Here,
Todd
Todd,

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
This group is growing fast Bill. I'm glad I joined before you started charging dues!.
Dues <perk> Now, why didn't I think of that? Oh well, too late now. I guess this will have to be a free club.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.