Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Old 01-03-2008, 07:17 AM
old git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: red 1a

Hi John L

Thanks for the excellent tutorial on soldering. Great information! Now...since I don't have a 1000W soldering gun or a soldering iron can I use a propane tourch instead ?

red 1 (aka Don Borton)
AMA IMAA
WACo Brotherhood #72
Hi Don,

Yes you can but the virtue of a copper soldering iron is that the temperature is exact and controlled. When the solder conducts the heat into the work there is little chance of oxidation spoiling the bond.

I took a look at flea bay to see what was on offer. Rather dissapointing, I found no decent sized electrical irons, only small electrical/electronic irons. I was surprised to find no thermal shunts in that area to keep the heat from damaging nearby insulation or components. A couple of small pieces of copper in the jaws of a crocodile clip make a satisfactory thermal shunt.

Try these on eBay US and UK to see old fashioned (how I started) irons. I have a number I bought at Boot Sales, the UK equivalent of a Garage Sale where a number of people collect with their cars and sell surplus, counterfeit and stolen goods. Soldering Irons can be heated on a gas ring, a dedicated gas muffle or even with a naked flame. Keep a fire extinguisher handy, I kee a liquid soap bottle (painted red) and filled with water. This is also quite useful to quench potential fires when welding vehicles.

Soldering Irons on eBay, USA and UK.

SET SOLDERING IRONS
Item number: 320200553737

Pair of Soldering Coppers #3 Point & #4 Chisel NEW
Item number: 350010118935

Old COPPER HEADED Soldering Iron - Blacksmith Tool
Item number: 150200691548

Old COPPER & Wood Handled BLACKSMITH SOLDERING IRON (Muffle)
Item number: 150200699105

VINTAGE GAS BURNER SOLDERING IRON HEATER
Item number: 120205233932

2oz Soldering Iron Straight.
Item number: 260197982096

old git - - - - aka John L.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:26 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: CubNut

yeah but flying with batteries you never get to hear this
[link]http://youtube.com/watch?v=iK0u2nSronc&feature=related[/link]
While checking out the link posted by CubNut I noticed several other "related" videos on the right hand side of the screen. Well worth checking out. One of which is a UPF 7 taking off and landing a few times on a small strip in the middle of a corn field. SWEET[8D]
Old 01-03-2008, 08:09 AM
skylarkmk1

Gunslinger,

Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 08:41 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to add to the soldering tips, and I didn't check the tips but I don't remember seeing this in there. I'm talking about doing lead soldering here.

Clean everything until it's shiny before you start to solder. Clean metal, clean copper. Use fine sandpaper or scotchbrite scrubbing pads. When you're soldering and using flux, the little black bits and greyish stuff that comes off of it before it becomes shinier, those are bits of dirt that the flux and heat are working together to remove and flush out. Start with a cleaner assembly and your soldering will go more smoothly and quickly. And yes, I do mean scrub the copper wire with the scotchbrite before you wind it around the gear wires. I even wipe the solder down well before use because it can gather some corrosion sitting there. If you don't like the aluminum stuff they sell now, lead solder is still available for industrial applications like radiator repairs and such, so it can be found in industrial supply stores. Just don't use it in your plumbing anymore! And remember, the assembly must be hot enough to melt the solder by itself, never ever use the torch to melt the solder, use the torch to heat the assembly, let the solder melt through contact with the heated assembly. And remember one more thing, a good soldering job is not meant to take the place of a poorly-wound joint! If you have a neat, tight, well-wound gear assembly, a good lead-soldering job will hold it forever. Steam it off with very hot water afterward to remove the flux that remains, so your paints and other applications can stick to it.

I'm sure some of this was already covered, but I thought it couldn't hurt to throw a few tips in there.

Jim
Old 01-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Tom,

When you get the chance, post some pictures of the plane and especially the motor setup (under cowl and in fuselage). Going Green might be just the way for ring cowled Wacos like the UPFs, UBFs, QCFs and many more. The double sided (front and back of the cylinders) dummy engine crank case could enclose the motor and not worry about hiding a cylinder, carb or muffler.

It is indeed nice to bolt on the cowl with no ugly holes for cylinder heads, mufflers and needle valves.

I still need to add the faux radial to complete the cowl, but that will happen fairly soon. I am only going to do a front vac fomed dummy, though.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Thomas B

ORIGINAL: CubNut

yeah but flying with batteries you never get to hear this
[link]http://youtube.com/watch?v=iK0u2nSronc&feature=related[/link]

True, but why listen to that when you can listen to the real sound of the full size radial on the model as it flies:

http://www.aerosoundrc.com/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=radial+sound

the 215cc radial does sound pretty good, especially on the ground and taking off and landing, but in the air making a pass, the prop speed as associated sound is too fast for a nice scale effect.

Check out this electric giant scale P-47 with the sound system working quite well:

http://www.aerosoundrc.com/movies/PNicholson_p47.wmv

Old 01-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Thomas B

ORIGINAL: khodges

ORIGINAL: Thomas B

................that stays perfectly clean on the belly and in the cowl and never drips fuel or oil in the house...
Is that a puddle of electrons I see under your plane? I appreciate what electrics can do nowadays, and I'll bet you can hear the wind in the wing wires a lot better, but I just gotta have internal combustion NOISE.

Check out my post above...why settle for glow and gas noise when you can have the real sound of the full size radial?...

The sound system can be programmed with a variety of engine sound clips (one has to be picked to match your model) and the sound is coupled to the throttle function of your radio. Not a video game type noise...this is an actual sound file recorded from the full scale engine.

A local flyer has this sound system in a 72" GP electrified P-6E, playing the Merlin type noise to simluate the Curtis Conqueror of the full scale...it sounds incredible, especially during takeoff and landing.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: khodges

................that stays perfectly clean on the belly and in the cowl and never drips fuel or oil in the house...
Is that a puddle of electrons I see under your plane? I appreciate what electrics can do nowadays, and I'll bet you can hear the wind in the wing wires a lot better, but I just gotta have internal combustion NOISE.

Check out my post above...why settle for glow and gas noise when you can have the real sound of the full size radial?...

The sound system can be programmed with a variety of engine sound clips (one has to be picked to match your model) and the sound is coupled to the throttle function of your radio. Not a video game type noise...this is an actual sound file recorded from the full scale engine.

A local flyer has this sound system in a 72" GP electrified P-6E, playing the Merlin type noise to simluate the Curtis Conqueror of the full scale...it sounds incredible, especially during takeoff and landing.
The full scale sound would be great on the model of the WACO, if you could get it recorded in 1/5th scale sound.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Live Wire

When the sound quits just pump in another tank full and go
Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious as to what it would sound like in the event of an engine dying. Probably not much change! All those motor sounds and the plane siiiinkiiing.... ;^)

I actually like the idea of canned engine sounds. It has merit.

Jim
Old 01-03-2008, 11:23 PM
skylarkmk1

Hey Bill,

Do your "Long Johns" still fit (if you have any)? And you didn't have to go north of the Ohio River to get 90 weight, it came to you.

It was 3° here in St Louis yesterday and a bit colder in the northern climates.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Hey Bill,

Do your "Long Johns" still fit (if you have any)? And you didn't have to go north of the Ohio River to get 90 weight, it came to you.

It was 3° here in St Louis yesterday and a bit colder in the northern climates.
I don't have any.....[:@] But it's going to be near 70 today, and back to 80 tomorrow. Whew.....I think we let too many Northerners in to Florida at once, and that big sucking sound was the winter that they brought with them.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

well it's pretty warm here in buffalo 12 but going up today maybe 30 spring is around the corner just don't know witch one yet /
Old 01-04-2008, 10:08 AM
skylarkmk1

Anthony,

You were talking about removable flying wires and the concealed attachment points in post #5248, page 210. If you haven’t done so check the link BigBird99 posted in #5255, page 211. Hans has a quick disconnect method using the ends of bicycle spokes and some “key hole” plates attached to the spars or fuselage EARLY in the construction. I am still looking for the link to the Canadian dealer that handles Aero Scale Products (scale flying wires), but they are quite expensive.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:25 AM
BigBoy99

Hey John,
....ehmmmmm......I´m not BigBird99, but BigBoy99!

I´m just busy with prepairing my waco for paintwork, before this I made the front cockpit windshield

and reduced my plywood mount ring from 2 1/2 " to 3/4" strength , to mount the motor a bit more nearer to the center of gravity,
she was a bit too heavy in the front, I hope, it brings the result, that I want.
See self:

Bernie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25130.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	841939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74201.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	841940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29721.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	841941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex69318.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	841942  
Old 01-04-2008, 10:58 AM
skylarkmk1

BigBoy99,

Whoops, my appologies.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

Very nice windshield work

Jacque AMA 587585
Brotherhood #27
Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 PM
mango12

Back to the soldering subject.... This is something I saw on Mythbusters a while back. After soldering or brazing a piece of metal, you can take the piece of metal, while still very hot, and immerse it in used engine oil, the blacker the better. It is supposed to "re-carbonize" the metal, replacing the carbon that the metal lost during the heating process, and restoring the metal to its original strength. Just a" for what it's worth".
Old 01-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: mango12

Back to the soldering subject.... This is something I saw on Mythbusters a while back. After soldering or brazing a piece of metal, you can take the piece of metal, while still very hot, and immerse it in used engine oil, the blacker the better. It is supposed to "re-carbonize" the metal, replacing the carbon that the metal lost during the heating process, and restoring the metal to its original strength. Just a" for what it's worth".
That would depend on the metal that you are trying to re-temper. Some metals like to be chilled after annealing, and some like a slower cooling process, and some like water quenching, and some oil. John L. gave us a detailed synapsys on this back about a year ago. If you would care to search back a ways, you should find it.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-04-2008, 11:27 PM
vfalcon7

Sorry to ask a dumb question... Is it possible to buy a 60 or 120 size Waco kit. This plane is all my grandfather talks about. He has no idea how to use the internet and I figured I would love to get this for him for his birthday, he is a great guy. He tells me that there is no way to get this plane is he correct? I would appreciate any help I could get. Thank you.

Vincent
Old 01-04-2008, 11:59 PM
skylarkmk1

Vincent,

Sorry to say, but the Pica Waco YMF 72” wing span (1/5th) and the 60” wing span (1/6th) kits are no longer made. Pica went out of business in the mid 1980s and gave the plans to the AMA and also gave Cox rights to produce an ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) version in both sizes (with some changes). The 1/5th Cox/Pica kit is presently not listed on their web site while the 1/6th still is. You might find a Pica kit on the "bay" but be careful on paying too much.

Now the good news; this long thread is all about recreating the Pica 1/5th YMF kit for scratch (plans) builders. Stickbuilder traced all of the parts from a kit he had and that is now part of the complete AMA Plans set (#35406).

There is also the House of Moy, a supplemental site that has the plans in PDF form to down load and use as reference (it is cheaper to get them from the AMA than to have them printed at Kinko’s or Office Max type places), both the long and short manuals (short manual has most of the updates and improvements developed by the members of this thread) and a list of resources and plans for other Wacos

Pica WACO YMF plans #35406 – AMA http://www.modelaircraft.org/
House of Moy http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/
Cox/Pica ARF -Cox Hobbies http://www.coxmodels.com/

If you show you grandfather how to use these “darn computer contraptions”, he can read this entire thread (with all its different personalities) and learn what improvements have been suggested, history, photos of Wacos while you get the plans from the AMA. He won’t get it done in one day though.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Thomas B

ORIGINAL: Mainer_Jim

Curious as to what it would sound like in the event of an engine dying. Probably not much change! All those motor sounds and the plane siiiinkiiing.... ;^)

I actually like the idea of canned engine sounds. It has merit.

Jim
It is a reality...and the results on the couple of sound system electric models I have seen first hand is pretty neat.

I am seriously thinking about adding the sound to my Waco......
Old 01-05-2008, 10:08 AM
vfalcon7

Thank you very much Skylarkmk1, I really appreciate the information. I can show him how to at least get on this site... It would be well worth his time I am sure. Is it to expensive to take the planes to a laser cut company to get some kits made? In the over 5000 threads I am sure it has been addressed. Alot of question I know. Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:45 AM
skylarkmk1

Vincent,

You are correct, laser cutting has come up. The problem is the plans are not laser ready, some of the laser cutting companies feel that there are too many parts, so it is not worth their time (to convert the plans for the demand) or the cost is too high. The alterative is to get a decent scroll saw with minimal vibration (the original Dremal saw was very bad in this respect) and cut the kit for him or let him do the whole project (after reading about the modifications and upgrades, some of the parts have been changed or replaced). The satisfaction of doing it all is many times better than just putting the parts together from a kit.

Going the other way with the Cox/Pica ARF will get him into the air a bit quicker at the cost of scale fidelity and some minor problems with the ARF kit. The dihedral break is in the center of the center section and not at the ends of the center section, the wheel pants mounting part is junk and falls apart (many have replaced it with the Dubro part) and some other small problems that have been addressed in this thread and the Cox/Pica thread. It is reported to be a decent flying plane.

Oh yeah, both the original Pica kit and the Cox/Pica ARF are actually Waco UMFs. The difference is in the cowl and both the UMF and YMF cowls are available from aftermarket Fiberglass companies. YMF had a Jacobs engine with evenly spaced Rocker Arm blisters, UMF had a Continental engine with paired blisters.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Jacque
My Feedback: (22)

Waco Brotherhood ,I need help finding a supplier for clear plastic for windshields. I need two large sheets about 17x17 in. thanks for any help you may provide

Jacque
Waco Brotherhood #27

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.