Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:58 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Well lets see if this post will work I got about 5 emails from where people have made posts, but none of them are any good comes back with server error or can't find server. I guess when they are doing repairs or updating the system they lose a lot of info. So I shall see if I get any more emails that might work or not?
Old 04-13-2008, 01:53 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

WOW!! they must be really having problems with the servers it takes forever to get the sites to load up extremely slow some of the posts that have been made I can't even get them to load up all I get is errors or page cannot be found. I tried to make another post this morning and I couldn't get it posted. I was going to update the progress on what I have done and it was all lost! Yesterday I got my pull pull system from Dubro so I could finish up the tail wheel, and I can tell you one thing for sure for the first time ever using them it was a pain in the back side trying to get the cables set right so I could at least make adjustments for future needs, but I was able to conquered the task now all I need to do is setup the independant linkage for the rudder which shouldn't be to hard. I haven't been able to do to must now that all the snow has melted away the HoneyDo list grew tremendously, but since today is Sunday a day of rest I'll be resting with the Waco!! I was able to get the ailerons built it took me three tries on the first one but after that the last three went together pretty easy now all the need is a little shape sanding to the wing and we'll be all good![8D] Well time to gewt back to work. Later
Old 04-13-2008, 11:50 PM
skylarkmk1

Dave,

You got lucky if you got on at all. Every time I tried, I got the message that "they were down for scheduled maintainence". I finally got on after 11 pm Central Time.

Guys,

I received my instruments order from PropagTeam (Czech Republic) http://www.propagteam.cz/ for my instrument panel on Friday. They are the best looking instruments I have seen and beat the J’Tec instruments hands down (no need to assemble, it is aready done for you). The 1/5th scale instruments fit in 5/8” (16mm) and 12mm holes and are designed to have the proper exposure in 1/8” (3mm) thick stock. I need to order the ΒΌ scale compass and turn and bank indicator to get the correct size (1/5 is too small) and the magneto switch. I ordered them thru InZpan http://www.inzpan.com/ (England), PropagTeam’s agent on 3/17 and received them 4/11, not to bad from overseas.

P1 Panel from NC 2091K (UBF-2)
P2 My incomplete panel (so far, got alot more work to do, It was to cold outside to do much else).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63652.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	928262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56521.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	928263  
Old 04-14-2008, 12:33 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

John,
I was having the smae problems all day yesterday, and most of the day today, I was able to make the first post then I turned around not more than 10 minutes later tried to make a second post and I got and error saying website couldn't be found. So I closed my internet explorer and tried to go back in and got the site was down for maintenance as well. I just got on here and it is 0130 est. I had a lot of email updates that people made posts, like Bill and a couple others and I couldn't get in on those so I guess thoses posts were lost some where.
Hopefully they got the bugs worked out, but I heard rumors throught the grape vine that they got hit by a Virus I don't know how much truth there is to it??
It is nice to see the site back up thou. Later
Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 PM
old git

I had problems getting in, then it was OK then off again. I was rather worried, I don''t have much to say but I do like to see what is happening to the Waco''s.

I must say some are getting difficult to recognise as models.

As to the Javelins, the only ones I knew were "delta" and "jet propelled".

I hope the time Bill spends at Top Gun doesn''t mean the thread slows down, I need my twice daily fix.

old git - - - -aka John L.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:22 PM
r/c John
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Sklark:

You could have ordered the same instrument cases from Hobby-Lobby and saved a bundle on shipping.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:41 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I need to look into making the panels for my 1/4 scale, I will take a look at Hobby-Lobby.
I am getting to the final build stages on my Waco, the fuselage linkages are all installed and working and I am finishing up the stringers and sheeting. I am going to drop Gary at Getstencils.com an e-mail and get a quote for paint stencils for my plane, I will also be getting my pinking tape from him as well.
Later!!
Anthony
ps. Finally changed my forum name
Old 04-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

I need to look into making the panels for my 1/4 scale, I will take a look at Hobby-Lobby.
I am getting to the final build stages on my Waco, the fuselage linkages are all installed and working and I am finishing up the stringers and sheeting. I am going to drop Gary at Getstencils.com an e-mail and get a quote for paint stencils for my plane, I will also be getting my pinking tape from him as well.
Later!!
Anthony
ps. Finally changed my forum name
Now if we could just get you to put a real airplane in as your avitar, instead of that High Wing whatchamacallit with the pancake motor, you would be right in line.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 04-14-2008, 08:05 PM
WacoNut

LMAO,
Good one, as soon as my Waco is complete it will be a done deal I still have a soft spot for J-3''s, my dad was into R/C back in the arly 70''s flying a pulse channel radio and he had a J-3. When he crashed the plane and repaired it and found it was too heavy he gave the plane to me as a toy. I was about 3 years old then and I still remember it and I have been an airplane and J-3 nut ever since. As a funny side note when my dad crashed a plane into the side of my mom''s car she made him get out of the hobby.
Anthony
Old 04-14-2008, 09:01 PM
WacoNut

What is with the double apostrophe, take a look at all the resent post?? Very weird!!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 PM
skylarkmk1

R/C John,

Tried Hobby Lobby first, they only carry the complete instrument sets (none of which are correct for a 1930's Waco), not the individual pieces. I e-mailed them on 12/24/07 and on 1/18/08 Hobby lobby replied that they had not heard back from PropagTeam about special orders of individual pieces. I then discovered InZpan was a dealer, could understand their system, the items are able to be listed in US dollars and ordering was fairly easy. Had to wait a bit before I could order (other priorities) and finally ordered the pieces on 3/17/08 and recieved them on 4/11/08. Three weeks for Hobby Lobby without results vs three weeks for InZpan with items in hand, it is easy to pick the winner.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:09 PM
WacoNut

Do you have a link for them??
Old 04-14-2008, 10:07 PM
skylarkmk1

Anthony,

PropagTeam http://www.propagteam.cz/ (Czech Republic)
InZpan http://www.inzpan.com/ (England)

There are over 240 different instruments on Propags list plus other items. I have a list of the ones I feel most closely match the instruments on UBF-2 NC 2091K (based on the Pica YMF supplimental detail sheets for the Oval Instrument Panel). PM me if you want my list.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:20 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

John (Skylarkmk1)
Your Instrument panel is looking nice. I did notice, yesterday, while searching your links, Hobby Lobby only has available a small sampling of what Propag offers. And as you noted, special orders don''t work with the system.
Just out of curiosity, how painful was the shipping from england? Their (Propag) product looks real nice, but seams a little on the pricey side. As with everything, you get what you pay for. Or should I say you will pay for what you get.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

John, or anyone. Can you give me a few sources for alum, paper, composite etc. tubes. I asked on the scratch building thread but didn''t get enough help.

Thanks
Bob
Old 04-15-2008, 08:30 AM
WacoNut

Bob,
I have some links on my PC at home, I will post them tonight.
Anthony
Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 AM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

hi brothers a quick ? will minnwax wbpoly work over nitrate dope thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 09:24 AM
skylarkmk1

Bob,

What are you looking for? Wing joiner tubes and sockets or something smaller?

K&S http://ksmetals.com/ has Aluminum and Brass tubes 12" long in various diameters that you can usually find at the local hobby shop along with small sheets of flat stock, rod and strip material.

CST http://www.cstsales.com/ has both Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass tubes and rods up to 5/8” in outside diameter in 4’ lengths. CST also has composite materials and supplies for modelers.

Aerospace Composite Products http://www.acp-composites.com/ACP-CAT.HTM also has Carbon Fiber, Fiberglass, Carbon/Fiberglass and Tapered tubes that can be used for Tail Booms, Wing Joiners and Pushrods.

Estes http://www.estesrockets.com/ has various cardboard tubes in 18” lengths. Look under Rockets – Body Tubes.

Small Parts http://www.smallparts.com/ has various tubing, mostly for industrial use along with many other small parts that may be helpful.

Don’t forget the plastic tubes and rod down it the train section of your LHS as made by Evergreen and others.

For aileron servo wire guides in the wings, I just use some typing/computer paper cut into strips, roll it up smaller than the rib hole diameter, slip it in place and let it unroll for a custom fit. A dab of glue in a couple of spots keeps it in place.

For wing joiner tube sets, check with the big 3-D and aerobatic guys such as Chief Aircraft http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/index2.html although their stuff may be too big for the Waco wings.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
RCBOATMANIAC

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Bob,

What are you looking for? Wing joiner tubes and sockets or something smaller?

K&S http://ksmetals.com/ has Aluminum and Brass tubes 12" long in various diameters that you can usually find at the local hobby shop along with small sheets of flat stock, rod and strip material.

CST http://www.cstsales.com/ has both Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass tubes and rods up to 5/8” in outside diameter in 4’ lengths. CST also has composite materials and supplies for modelers.

Aerospace Composite Products http://www.acp-composites.com/ACP-CAT.HTM also has Carbon Fiber, Fiberglass, Carbon/Fiberglass and Tapered tubes that can be used for Tail Booms, Wing Joiners and Pushrods.

Estes http://www.estesrockets.com/ has various cardboard tubes in 18” lengths. Look under Rockets – Body Tubes.

Small Parts http://www.smallparts.com/ has various tubing, mostly for industrial use along with many other small parts that may be helpful.

Don’t forget the plastic tubes and rod down it the train section of your LHS as made by Evergreen and others.

For aileron servo wire guides in the wings, I just use some typing/computer paper cut into strips, roll it up smaller than the rib hole diameter, slip it in place and let it unroll for a custom fit. A dab of glue in a couple of spots keeps it in place.

For wing joiner tube sets, check with the big 3-D and aerobatic guys such as Chief Aircraft http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/index2.html although their stuff may be too big for the Waco wings.
Bob,
To go along with John there is another place you can go to it is the same place I buy Aluminum tubing to build Outriggers that hold the front sponsons on the boat. The place is called Texas Towers they use the tubing to make telescoping antennas for side band radios and base CB radios. Here is there website: http://www.texastowers.com/aluminum.htm there prices are pretty reasonable.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:43 AM
WacoNut

ORIGINAL: lazyace

Yes it will,
I have used it over dope on several planes with no problems.
Anthony
Old 04-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: lazyace

LA,

Most any finishing material will work over Nitrate once the dope has been allowed to cure. The only thing is that lacquers will wet the surface through and through, and so you should once again, do a test piece.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 04-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Yes John, wing joiner, paper for servo wires etc. Need to decide what size holes to put in the F-2 ribs. Thanks for the links. I have gotten quite a few links since I posted.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 PM
lazyace
My Feedback: (126)

bill;

cure for how long 7 days? thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 11:19 PM
skylarkmk1

Bob,

I generally use 1/2" for my aileron guide tube holes, 5/8" if you have the space or want to lighten things up a bit. For a 1/2" diameter tube, I cut the strip about 1-3/4" to 2" wide and roll it around a 1/4" to 3/8" dowel. Works best if installed before the wings are joined (I know a "duh" statement so don''t ask how I know).
Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 AM
skylarkmk1

Rick,

The shipping cost for the Propag Instruments was $12.30 for 21 instruments, 1 set of switches (10 ea) and 2 sets of 20 screws (40 ea total), total $60.30 plus the $12.30 for a grand total of $72.60 and they actually shipped from the Czech Republic.

The instruments were $2.01 ea, are assembled with clear lens and color dial faces, you just drill the appropriate size hole and glue them in place in some 1/8" (3mm) stock, the back flange will give the proper exposure on the front side. I will use some Pacer Formular 56 Canopy Glue as I have it on hand and it does dry clear even though I will glue them from the back. The switches will be recessed slightly and glued to the front and the screws will be CA'd in place from the back. Trying to keep as much glue from the front as possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.