Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:12 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: SuperCub Man

kvlasblom - Sorry Jim, just curious... Does your club meet in a school? Yes it does!

Stickbuilder - .....By the way, who's the old Fart? It's Brother #56 of course!!

Thanks for the kind comments. More pix to follow, but no more of "the Brother" !!

Aw C'mon......I liked the Obie-wan thing. (sorry, I'm not a follower of Star Trek stuff, so I don't know how to spell his name) The look on the face of the one guy that I can see when you entered wearing that thing is priceless. Great looking Waco too.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-10-2008, 06:23 AM
kvlasblom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry Bill, I think it's a character from Star Wars, not Star Trek...
But I don't follow those either and can't spell the name correctly either.
I can pronounce Waco though.... [8D]
Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Jim(supercubman),

What a great way to have fun with it all. The plane has turned out really nice. How are your buddies doing with theirs? Did you say there were two other guys building one?

Bill(stickbuilder)

It is sure good to hear (read) that things have worked out for you to start messing with your WACO again.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:26 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,

Now that's the way to enjoy your self and show off the Waco at the same time.

All,

I wont to redo the shape of my cockpit I have a rather large opening and I wont to change it to the newer smaller shape. I believe it will go better with the color scheme I have chosen to use.The question is does any one have a template of the front & rear cockpit I can use to cut out new opening?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:02 PM
SuperCub Man

Well Bill it's "Obi wan Kenobi" from "Star Wars" and I follow all that sort of stuff - just love it!! But that was not my intention. The only comment I got, other than some laughter was, "Where'd you steal the drapes from?"
My two other buddies that are building the same model have been reduced to just one and that is "Snowball" who is Brother #59. See his post with a pix of his Waco at Post #6975! He is well on his way to the final stage and is close to a maiden flight once he is content with all the scale details he has added. The other chap has put everything on hold while he straightens out his life!! His parts are stored in my shop.
The chap in shot when I first came in the room had just announced that he was quitting the hobby due to ill health! I hope he had fun at his last meeting. Looks like a deer in the headlights though! Gave me a chuckle.

Just re-doing the prop. Cut an unused Zinger 20 X 6 down to 18" to give me thicker more scale like prop tips. Will only use it for show. When it's done it's off to the Airport for pix. Some of the guys that know the 1:1 owner say he'll probably take me up for a ride and then make an offer to buy my model! Wonder what he'll offer?? Wonder what I'd accept??
Old 09-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: SuperCub Man

Well Bill it's "Obi wan Kenobi" from "Star Wars" and I follow all that sort of stuff - just love it!! But that was not my intention. The only comment I got, other than some laughter was, "Where'd you steal the drapes from?"
My two other buddies that are building the same model have been reduced to just one and that is "Snowball" who is Brother #59. See his post with a pix of his Waco at Post #6975! He is well on his way to the final stage and is close to a maiden flight once he is content with all the scale details he has added. The other chap has put everything on hold while he straightens out his life!! His parts are stored in my shop.
The chap in shot when I first came in the room had just announced that he was quitting the hobby due to ill health! I hope he had fun at his last meeting. Looks like a deer in the headlights though! Gave me a chuckle.

Just re-doing the prop. Cut an unused Zinger 20 X 6 down to 18" to give me thicker more scale like prop tips. Will only use it for show. When it's done it's off to the Airport for pix. Some of the guys that know the 1:1 owner say he'll probably take me up for a ride and then make an offer to buy my model! Wonder what he'll offer?? Wonder what I'd accept??
If he does make an offer it's not enough (unless he wants to trade straight up for the 1:1). That's a nice Waco. We have a couple here locally, but I don't think they want a small version of theirs.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Jim,

Now that's the way to enjoy your self and show off the Waco at the same time.

All,

I wont to redo the shape of my cockpit I have a rather large opening and I wont to change it to the newer smaller shape. I believe it will go better with the color scheme I have chosen to use.The question is does any one have a template of the front & rear cockpit I can use to cut out new opening?
Dan,

I don't follow what you are trying to accomplish. Did you follow the template shape for the rear cockpit? The front cockpit is just a little smaller than the template for the tonneau cover. If you are wanting to go smaller, then I have no idea.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Mr. Lucky

Hey all you Waco fans out there. Here is a link to a you tube video called "Around the Patch". It starts out slow but works into a very nice and moving Waco QCF-2 flight with the music "At Last" by Etta James. You will need sound for your computer or you will miss out on Etta James beautiful rendition of At Last.

It really is a great flight/video.

Regards,
Ben
Old 09-11-2008, 12:06 AM
skylarkmk1

Ben,

Thanks for the heads up on the video. For those of you who haven't looked at it, go to Youtube, type in "Around the Patch" and scroll down a little on the results. There are a few with the title "Around the Patch".

For those who may also be interested in the DH4 there are also a few vids of it flying, both from the ground and the front seat.

There are also some vids of Waco models flying including the big 33 or 40% Genesis and a few others.

If you are on dial up forget it unless you have a whole day to download just a few vids. I am glad I have high speed at work and can view them there.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:20 AM
Mr. Lucky

Hey thanks John! I just looked and some loon forgot to paste the link to the Around the Patch video on youtube on my post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJU6S...eature=related
So here it is for all of you guys who don't read minds. John is correct there is quite allot of data that needs to load if you only have dial up. If you do have dial up and want to watch the video which is well worth the wait you can load the page and right after the video begins click the pause button and then go do something for a while while the video loads. You will see the data line slowly load while the data streams in. Once the video loads you can click start and watch the show. For any true blue Waco lover it is really a nice video. Unfortunately youtube does not allow any of us to copy or save the video. I like the video so much that I have the website saved as a favorite and I go watch it from time to time.

Enjoy,

Ben
Old 09-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Stickbuilder

Anyone ever counted how many pieces of rib stitching it takes to just do the tail surfaces on a fifth scale Waco? Wow!, I may end up with Carpel-Tunnel syndrome before I'm done.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-12-2008, 10:47 PM
skylarkmk1

Bill,

You just had to ask, didn't you? On a model it is about twice the amount as for the full size except you can go faster. On the model you do a set of stitches (white glue type) on one side of the surface (stab/elevator, fin/rudder, and wing), let dry and do the other side. The full size guy works both sides at once, applies the reinforcing tape, has to tie the knot, work the knot inside and trim each stitch and that takes much, much longer stitch for stitch. The over taping (pinked tape) is about the same except a model has less liner feet than the full size. I believe the estimate to rib stitch a full size Piper Cub wing is about 8 hrs per wing with out taping over the stitches. It’s a lot of work for either model or full size, but keep at it, the results will be worth it.

Check out The Cub Den http://www.thecubden.org/ for another method of rib stitching and other scale ideas.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Bill,

You just had to ask, didn't you? On a model it is about twice the amount as for the full size except you can go faster. On the model you do a set of stitches (white glue type) on one side of the surface (stab/elevator, fin/rudder, and wing), let dry and do the other side. The full size guy works both sides at once, applies the reinforcing tape, has to tie the knot, work the knot inside and trim each stitch and that takes much, much longer stitch for stitch. The over taping (pinked tape) is about the same except a model has less liner feet than the full size. I believe the estimate to rib stitch a full size Piper Cub wing is about 8 hrs per wing with out taping over the stitches. It’s a lot of work for either model or full size, but keep at it, the results will be worth it.

Check out The Cub Den http://www.thecubden.org/ for another method of rib stitching and other scale ideas.
I'm not using the glue syringe thing, I'm adhering small bits of 50 denier thread with dope, and then taping over the stitches. It's slow going, but it's uniform.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-12-2008, 11:33 PM
skylarkmk1

Bill,

I understood that part about you using the thread, just giving the white glue method as an example. The Cub Den has a similar method using fishing line applied to surgical tape and then to the surface. The neatest method I have see is to use a thread jig like The Cub Den shows, use a fabric thread (not the fishing line) applied to note book paper and then attached to the wing. Once the "pinked tape" is applied, the notebook paper just barely shows and gives the impression of the reinforcing tape that is under the rib stitches on the full size. A very subtle detail and usually not seen on models.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Bill,

I understood that part about you using the thread, just giving the white glue method as an example. The Cub Den has a similar method using fishing line applied to surgical tape and then to the surface. The neatest method I have see is to use a thread jig like The Cub Den shows, use a fabric thread (not the fishing line) applied to note book paper and then attached to the wing. Once the "pinked tape" is applied, the notebook paper just barely shows and gives the impression of the reinforcing tape that is under the rib stitches on the full size. A very subtle detail and usually not seen on models.
I'm not using notebook paper, but I am using curling papers (kind of like tissue) that the ladies use when receiving a permanent wave kit......(they still do call them that don't they?). The Pinking tape goes on over the reinforcement, and gives it the look of reinforcment tape. All my secrets have now been taken.[]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-13-2008, 08:42 AM
ccrebidoux
My Feedback: (3)

Hello WACO brothers!

I have a question,

I am nearing the finishline on a 1/5 Pica Waco, I've installed a Saito 150 in it...inverted. I did this primarily because I bought a Slimline Pitts style exhaust for it, only to find that it wouldn't fit. Without forethought, I installed the stock exhaust, carved a channel in the firewall, fibreglassed it etc. etc. for the exhaust & cut the cowl to fit this configuration.

I took it out for a test run last night and couldn't get the engine set up, odd, being a Saito i usually don't have too many issues. Then I realized I had made a noob mistake, the carb is muchos lower than the fuel tank (sitting in the Pica designed fuel tank box)

Am I screwed?? Do I have to a) flip the engine upright and have an ugly exhaust sticking out the side or b) move the fuel tank lower somehow by removing the fuel tank box or c) is there something available (ie a cline regulator) that will correct this problem without a major re-engineering of the front end???

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42815.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1032263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51044.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1032264  
Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: ccrebidoux

Hello WACO brothers!

I have a question,

I am nearing the finishline on a 1/5 Pica Waco, I've installed a Saito 150 in it...inverted. I did this primarily because I bought a Slimline Pitts style exhaust for it, only to find that it wouldn't fit. Without forethought, I installed the stock exhaust, carved a channel in the firewall, fibreglassed it etc. etc. for the exhaust & cut the cowl to fit this configuration.

I took it out for a test run last night and couldn't get the engine set up, odd, being a Saito i usually don't have too many issues. Then I realized I had made a noob mistake, the carb is muchos lower than the fuel tank (sitting in the Pica designed fuel tank box)

Am I screwed?? Do I have to a) flip the engine upright and have an ugly exhaust sticking out the side or b) move the fuel tank lower somehow by removing the fuel tank box or c) is there something available (ie a cline regulator) that will correct this problem without a major re-engineering of the front end???

Chris
Surgical modification to the tank box floor is going to be your best bet. Carefully (you will need to use something like a drywall saw) cut out the tank box floor, and lower the openings in the formers. Once you get the height that you want, you will need to mock up a new floor, and make some reinforcments for the formers (triangular stock would be good). Then make a tie bar that will bolt into the part of the main landing gear former. Use a couple of blind nuts and some 4-40 botls to tie it all together. Think your way through it, and you will be able to do the modification without comprimising the exterior and the finish of the model.

I have used the OS 160 twin in a few of these, and fuel tank height is critical on them too. Keep us posted, and by all means ask questions. We will be glad to walk you through these mods. Just think about what you are doing before you make the cuts.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Tony V.

Chris -

Consider using a Cline fuel system (fuel regulator). This should keep the fuel from siphoning into your engine. There was a discussion on page 50 of the Super Stearman thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17...tearman/tm.htm

This should help your situation.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Stickbuilder

Just to prove that I haven't been sitting around, here are a few shots of the rib stitching, and the scale hinge straps/tail brace attachments. These are made from 0.030" brass plate, and is the same material that I will be using to make the interplane strut straps/flying wire attachment points. The rib stitching show's up fairly well, but doesn't jump out at you. The piece that looks like tail bracing is not, it's just a dummy wire/clevis that I was using to mock up the angle on the attachment point.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54226.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1033287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57901.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1033288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64162.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1033289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34197.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1033290  
Old 09-14-2008, 09:01 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill,

Your tail brace bracket looks vary good as does your rib stitching. Does your pinking tape have zigzag edges? I cant tell they blend in so good.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

Bill,

Your tail brace bracket looks vary good as does your rib stitching. Does your pinking tape have zigzag edges? I cant tell they blend in so good.
Dan,
I would have to admit they do look pretty darn good, but if he is using the same type of tape that hair dressers use to give perms some of it doesn't have the pinking edges and there is some that does, but from what I can see in the pic's he used the smooth edge tape?? again no body knows except for him (he is the master builder) HEH HEH HAH HAH!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 02:37 AM
Stickbuilder

Bill,

Dan,

That's not the pinking tape that you see, but rather the reinforcing tape. The pinking tape comes next. The tail brace bracket is but a part of the hinge strap.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Stickbuilder

Spent the evening working on the fairing that ties the vertical stabilizer and the fuselage/headrest together. This is a very complex shape, and I'm glad that I didn't glue the horizontal stabilizer to the fuselage on this one. I still can't decide whether to make the final fairing from lightweight epoxyglass, or stay with the aluminum piece. The aluminum piece may be a hair lighter, but the glass piece would not have an electrical issue with radio noise. We'll see.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 AM
SuperCub Man

I've finished up on the Waco and have started to repair my beautiful 1/4 scale Super Cub that a spurious radio signal sent into an unfortunate meeting with the ground! (Now moving to 2.4 Gig!) The size of this aircraft is such that covering with Solartex is not very practical. Last covering I used was Koverall and so I will again. I also applied it with dope last time but now that is out of the question. I remember a discussion 'way back in this thread about other methods of filling the weave on Koverall. I think they used latex paint! It was applied with a foam pad/brush/roller?! If this is so I would like to do the same and then switch to Krylon for finish and trim. I'd appreciate some comments and possibly on this method as well as whether the Krylon will adhere well to the Latex!!
The sun has finally re-appeared in our neck of the woods and it is warming up in the next couple of days. Time to make that trip to the Airport to get the pix with my favourite baby! I'll post soon!
Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Stickbuilder

I haven't tried latex as a filler, I've always used Nitrate. I think that you would need at least one coat of the Nitrate for the shrinkage factor.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.