Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Bill:
Educate me, I have never seen a full scale with the fairing [:-]

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true
Old 01-07-2007, 08:43 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: chris1949

Hi guys just a thought I shoot archery and the aluminum arrows today are very large in diameter 25/64in diameter if you go to a local archery shop in your area ask for the cutoffs when they make arrows.Some are carbon fiber also and extremely strong,I use them for pushrods also,and wing dowels.They probably also have bent ones also try local sportsmans clubs most would save them for you thats where I get mine.Keep up the good work work guys isnt it fun but sometimes challanging thanx Chris
Hi Chris,

Interesting how things turn around. My first radio was an Electronic Developments ED 12"? black cube transmitter with a microswitch on a cable. The black box sat on the ground with an earthing spike and a full wave? aerial from aluminium tubes, I think it was about 10' high. The box was heavy with hundreds of single dry cells connected to make up the high tension voltage. The Heater battery was another huge lunp that needed constant replacement. The airborn radio reciever was a single valve super-regen mounted on rubber bands. The servo was a rubber motor connected to an escapement.

The model (KK Jr 60) made a good glider and eventually I used the aerial rods as arrows, more fun than my first radio! Especially since I couldn't start the engine.

old git - - - - - - aka John L.

Waco Brotherhood No 14.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

Bill:
Educate me, I have never seen a full scale with the fairing [:-]

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true
Are you referring to the Tonneau on the front cockpit, or which fairing are you referencing?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Hughes500E

Tail wheel!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Stickbuilder

Lordy, I've been tearing the internet up this morning, trying to find a YMF with the tonneau in place. There ain't one. I'll have you a pic of the tail wheel fairing in just a moment.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Stickbuilder

Here's a pretty good shot.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72572.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	593674  
Old 01-08-2007, 02:06 PM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, lookee at that. A yellow and navy blue Waco. I did not know they had one. I looked for ever trying to find one and went with those colors for mine anyway. Nice to know even if it is after the fact.

Name:	Om33963.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	593679  
Old 01-08-2007, 02:45 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a little closer shot of the fairing, from a WACO Classic.

Name:	Zx71666.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	593691  
Old 01-08-2007, 02:48 PM
ClayH

Although I've owned a Pica 1/5 scale YMF kit for a few years, I can officially join the brotherhood now as I've bought two previously owned Wacos - both 1/5th and 1/6th scale. The 1/6th will be converted to electric for flying at my local field.The 1/5th has a 120 FS sticking out the top of the cowl, so I think it will get the 160 twin treatment. So do I get a brotherhood #?!!!

Look forward to spending more time in this forum.

Clay
Old 01-08-2007, 02:57 PM
ChrisMH

So...I've been wanting to build one of these guys for awhile now, but haven't been able to scrounge up any plans. Is there a source for the Pica or similar (1/5-ish size) plans? And if so, can it be scratched from them, or is there insufficient information?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

I have both the 1/5 and 1/6 pica plans in tiff or pdf format. It would cost you a bit to have a printing service get them out on paper to the proper scale. They are nice to look at though.
Also, this hobby is dying out. Please avoid bashing the ARF people. Make friends with them and get them out to the field theycan see a nice hand built and you can invite them to see your shop. Win them over to building.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:12 PM
ChrisMH

ORIGINAL: ronj10

I have both the 1/5 and 1/6 pica plans in tiff or pdf format. It would cost you a bit to have a printing service get them out on paper to the proper scale. They are nice to look at though.
Also, this hobby is dying out. Please avoid bashing the ARF people. Make friends with them and get them out to the field theycan see a nice hand built and you can invite them to see your shop. Win them over to building.
I'm not bashing anyone, I'm expressing a personal opinion!

Anyway, if I shoot you my email, would you mind sending me the plans?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 01-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Nightstalker

Hi Chris - The AMA plans store has what they describe as the 1/5th scale PICA kit plan - $33 less shipping - cheap at twice that price . I was looking for a smaller version (1/2A or so... ima skeerda big models[X(]) and saw that one - does seem kinda steep though (??). Never seen the original PICA plan, but they say that's what it is and I don't know if you could build from it. One of these guys should know.

Hope that helps you out.

Todd
Old 01-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Hughes500E

OK, I get it, very subtle, not at all what I was looking for when examining the pictures.

Thanx
Old 01-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: ClayH

Although I've owned a Pica 1/5 scale YMF kit for a few years, I can officially join the brotherhood now as I've bought two previously owned Wacos - both 1/5th and 1/6th scale. The 1/6th will be converted to electric for flying at my local field.The 1/5th has a 120 FS sticking out the top of the cowl, so I think it will get the 160 twin treatment. So do I get a brotherhood #?!!!

Clay
Yep, You are number 18. Let's all welcome Clay to the Brotherhood.

ChrisMH,

The plans will be necessary in order for you to build the plane. The bad news is: There are no parts callout on the plans. I am working as we speak to cut the master parts and copy them to a master file (PDF) so that all can have them. I am having to fit the cutting in as I can, and I'm going as fast as possible. They will get there.

By the way, do wou want a Brotherhood number?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Okay, Here is the roster to date.

WACO BROTHERHOOD MEMBERSHIP:

#1 stickbuilder
#2 Hughes500E
#3 Jim Henley
#4 mmattockx
#5 CTflyboy
#6 michaelj2k
#7 Ronj10
#8 gwulle
#9 jim schroer
#10 Skinny Bob
#11 Bart5495
#12 Pimmnz
#13 HarryJ
No. 14 Old Git
#15 ChrisMH
#16 Nerevar
#17 Ricatic
#18 Clay H.
#19 Tripp2Loo
#20 KHodges

#47 Todd (NightStalker)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Wow. this is growing.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Stickbuilder

NightStalker, You can build from it, you just can't cut the parts from it. (Ribs and formers) The rest of the parts could probably be traced and cut from the plans. When are you going to join up? When are you going to build a shiny model?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-08-2007, 09:57 PM
ChrisMH

ORIGINAL: ClayH

Clay
Yep, You are number 18. Let's all welcome Clay to the Brotherhood.

ChrisMH,

The plans will be necessary in order for you to build the plane. The bad news is: There are no parts callout on the plans. I am working as we speak to cut the master parts and copy them to a master file (PDF) so that all can have them. I am having to fit the cutting in as I can, and I'm going as fast as possible. They will get there.

By the way, do wou want a Brotherhood number?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Mark was kind enough to forward the plans to me, but yeah, no part callouts. So whenever you get around to finishing them, I'm interested!

I don't know if I deserve a number yet, since I don't actually have one...but I promise to build one So if you're offering, sure!

Chris
Old 01-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Hughes500E

Interplane struts, something that has not been talked about much. I had it all worked out in my mind, went and purchased the aluminum K&S streamline tubing got back to the shop pulled out the strut template and now I'm scratching my head. Can't weld it, can't rivet it, thought I could join it with ply, any good ideas out there? [:-]
Old 01-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Nightstalker

NightStalker, You can build from it, you just can't cut the parts from it. (Ribs and formers) The rest of the parts could probably be traced and cut from the plans. When are you going to join up? When are you going to build a shiny model?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Tell ya what Bill - It's bad enough that my 5 year old daughter tells me my planes aren't shiney... comparing a 30+ year old 1/2A control line Sterling Ringmaster Bipe (built and finished by an over anxious 9yr old in all of maybe an hour, as I vaguely remember) to an expertly built and finished Tinkerbell,... errr... 1/5 scale PICA WACO YMF... (although she did see the bipe connection... dat's my girl...). OK! Ya want shiney? I'll give it a shot. Not a 1/5 scale job (I'ma skeeeerda great big twin 4 stroke powered planes)... but I have located a 40" WS plan for said WACO which is much more in my confort zone. The ARMY guy in me says "Flat Black" with no additional flash and bang... but why not? I'll even let Li'l Kyleigh pick the color and choice of pilot figure (Geez... what am I gettng myself into?).

I'll reserve, if I may #47... again an ARMY Spec Ops thing... (MH-47E Chinnook). Yeah, not a biplane, albeit tandem rotor... but (very) BIG, BAD and SHINEY !... (well BIG anyways... and definitley BAD) And to think I am not even remotely interested in RC helo's...go figure.

I'll keep you guys posted when I get the plans for this smaller scale WACO.

Todd
Old 01-08-2007, 11:50 PM
mmattockx

Interplane struts, something that has not been talked about much. I had it all worked out in my mind, went and purchased the aluminum K&S streamline tubing got back to the shop pulled out the strut template and now I'm scratching my head. Can't weld it, can't rivet it, thought I could join it with ply, any good ideas out there? [:-]
I've not had a close look at the details of the struts, but aluminum glues very well with epoxy. Just scuff the surface, clean with acetone (be FANATICAL about cleanliness) and it will bond very well. Perhaps you can slot the tubing and use ply gussets/connectors similar to the way bicycle frames are done?

Mark
Old 01-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Hughes500E

I was thinking about ply joiners as well, good to know that epoxy is suitable for the joints, hmmmmm, having a hard go with this one

Thanx!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:49 AM
pimmnz

Hughes 500,
This may (or may not) help but what I have done in the past is to use normal threaded wire for the strut ends (with steel quick links) hard soldered into the appropriate sized K&S brass tube on a jig so that you can set the lengths the same for the foward and rear struts. These can then have the streamlined tube slipped over them, ends of the ally tube slit, epoxy dribbled in and the tube ends folded in around the wires. the full `N' strut can be made this way, its adjustable and can be removed off the wing for maintenance. Compression and tension loads are then taken through the internal tubing and the outer streamline tube is just along for the ride. 1/5 biplanes can use 2.56 wire/links, 1/4 up will need 4.40 ditto.

Bill, your list has me down twice, pimmnz (or Evan) needs only #15, number 12 is still available.

Evan, WACO Brotherhood #15.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:46 AM
Stickbuilder

Leave it to a Doggie (and a rotorhead at that) to want a number out of sequence...

Never let it be said that we don't accomodate everyone in here. Todd, you are #47. Tripp, you are #19, Clay is #18 and ChrisMH is #15 Let's all give these guys a hearty Welcome.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-09-2007, 04:51 AM
Stickbuilder

When I do the next one, I have decided that the Interplane struts will be scale. Each strut will be made of 3 main pieces, and they will all be adjustable, and will be made from K&S streamline tubing. I will have to make the mounts first, and cobble up the struts around them. I was thinking about using J-B weld. Has anyone tried using that stuff with K&S tubing?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.