Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:23 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: sdstick06

Dear Brothers of the Waco....

I would like to introduce myself...

I have 40 years of building, designing, and piloting experience.... I have finally admitted to myself and everyone around me that I am a hopeless biplane addict. I have been building and flying Ultimates since my first Goldberg in the mid eighties. I am now flying a 29% Great Planes Ulty with a Brillelli 46gt. Even though it is an arf... it is the best flying Ulty I have ever had including a 33% Aeroworks / DA 100. I still love my Ulty but I have recently been hit HARD by the YMF bug and have GOT to build one. I am getting older now and can appreciate the finer things in life such as the Waco YMF!!!! I have just started my research and hope to be much further along in the planning stages of my build very soon.... it has to be at least 25% and hopefully bigger.

Hello to all and thank you for sharing your valuble wisdom.... and now I will return to the very start of this thread to read it in it's entirety.

Yours truly,
Shawn D. Stickney
Tennessee G.S.B.A.A.
(Giant Scale Biplane Addicts of America)
Hello Shawn,
I see you are from Murfreesboro, all my family is from Clarkrange and my dad still lives there. Stop in a visit my AMR 33% build thread. I am making good progress and I am not far from covering once I get some detail work completed. I would also ask Bill to become a member of the Brotherhood if I were you.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 01-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: sdstick06

Dear Brothers of the Waco....

I would like to introduce myself...

I have 40 years of building, designing, and piloting experience.... I have finally admitted to myself and everyone around me that I am a hopeless biplane addict. I have been building and flying Ultimates since my first Goldberg in the mid eighties. I am now flying a 29% Great Planes Ulty with a Brillelli 46gt. Even though it is an arf... it is the best flying Ulty I have ever had including a 33% Aeroworks / DA 100. I still love my Ulty but I have recently been hit HARD by the YMF bug and have GOT to build one. I am getting older now and can appreciate the finer things in life such as the Waco YMF!!!! I have just started my research and hope to be much further along in the planning stages of my build very soon.... it has to be at least 25% and hopefully bigger.

Hello to all and thank you for sharing your valuble wisdom.... and now I will return to the very start of this thread to read it in it's entirety.

Yours truly,
Shawn D. Stickney
Tennessee G.S.B.A.A.
(Giant Scale Biplane Addicts of America)
Shawn,

How are thing in the Boro? I grew up in Hendersonville, and have been to the Murfreesboro field several times. It's about time for the Swap meet at the Armory is it not? Let me know if/when you decide to become a Brother, and I'll get right on it. Have fun with your, "Light reading."

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-24-2009, 08:01 PM
sdstick06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John and Anthony.... thanks for the info!!

What is the proper proceedure to ask Bill if I can join the Brotherhood???

SDS
Old 01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
sdstick06

Hi Bill.... I just sent you a PM
Old 01-24-2009, 11:44 PM
skylarkmk1

Shawn,

It's pretty simple. You just say "Bill, can I join the Brotherhood?"

(I couldn't resist)
Old 01-24-2009, 11:59 PM
sdstick06

lol.... I was waiting for that!

thanks John!
Old 01-25-2009, 01:52 AM
codiddley
My Feedback: (4)

Alright guys, I finally got "serious"

I ordered the Mammoth plans for the 1/4 scale Waco YKS-6. I had them enlarged to 110" for my DA-100. About as soon as I got off the phone with Bob I realized that I had NO idea if the engine would fit in the cowl without protruding! I've just decided to take some deep breaths, wait till the custom sized plans come in and check to make sure everything is cool. If not I may have to go to an 80cc single... There is no way I'll be affording a five, or seven cylinder engine any time soon!

I have been hammering Google with YKS searches, and finally realized that I needed to go straight to the top- Top Gun that is! I finally found some good pics of a scratch built YKS-7 that has the same scheme, of the model I plan on building! It's a beauty, and it looks like it has flown in at least three top gun events. The builder was named Charlie Nelson. Is he a Waco Brotherhood member? If anyone knows Charlie maybe you could point him in my direction. Here is a link to the 495th R/C Squadron with a pic of the YKS on the cover- it shows the same version canopy that I will be putting into my YKS-7.

link: http://www.495thsquadron.org/PDF_Fil...Newsletter.pdf

The second set of pictures are from "monster planes" in Fla.

For your viewing pleasure, the object of my dreams, an R/C model YKS-7 with a 7 cylinder!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99754.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	1118911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30738.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1118912   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28106.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	1118913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33980.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1118914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju14299.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1118915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of59458.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1118916  
Old 01-25-2009, 05:58 AM
Stickbuilder

NEW BROTHER ALERT !!!

We have a new Brother. Let's all welcome Shawn (sdstick06) to the Brotherhood. We hope that you have a grand time as a member.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-25-2009, 10:51 AM
sdstick06

Thanks for having me guys.... I have a lot to learn from you all. Please let me know if I can do anything for any of you.

Very happy and proud to be WACO Brotherhood #131

Thanks Bill,

Shawn D. Stickney
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
AMA 465847
KG40WC
[email protected]
Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 AM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

kHODGES,I was looking at post about X-MAS time[trying to find the post where a person was telling how to heat- treat wire for hardness]
anyway you said you had a SPEKTRUM TX. and had sold it and were now going to go w/Futaba Fass.I do not have a 2.4 yet,but do have a
Futaba 8u setting on the shelve .Local hobby shop recommends I go w/SPECKTRUM vers putting in the Futaba modules. Your thoughts please.
rcplanman.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Tony V.

RCplanman,

I do have Futaba and Spektrum, 12FG and DX 7. Ilike the Fasst system better. You dont need as big of batterys no brown outs. I use the Futaba in 50 cc 3D planes, EDF's, e gliders have not had 1 problem.
I know cost is a big factor , but if you go with a module in your 8 U you will have the slowest radio Futaba ever made I had two . If you could move up to a new 10 c or maybe the 12fg I know you would be very happy just put in a new receiver and go. The 1 time cost is well worth the new radio many good changes.
If you bought a new Spektrum it also would be a far better system then your 8 U.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 PM
sdstick06

I used to fly JR 9303 on 53mhz but switched last year to a DX7. I immediately felt the difference in the latency... the reaction time from stick input to control surface movement can easily be felt on the Spectrum. I have not had one problem and not the first glitch. I use the DX7 on my 29% Ultimate gasser... no problems.... the RF problems of 72mhz are gone with 2.4ghz. I have also specked out my 2 meter sailplane to who knows what altitude.... in the stratosphere somewhere I guess! No problems... no loss of feel. The DX7 has enough features on it that I have not had to go to the 9303 2.4ghz but do plan that move in the future. I am waiting for a 2048 in a DX7 update like the one they came out with for the new heli radio or a 9303 with 2048 before I make a move. Although I enjoyed the ham band 53mhz equipment I will never go back... I am on 2.4 to stay and highly recomend it.

Shawn D. Stickney
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
WACO Brotherhood #131
AMA 465847
KG40WC
[email protected]

"Mans second greatest thrill is flying... his first greatest thrill is landing"
Old 01-25-2009, 02:53 PM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

Tony V AND SDSTICK06, Thanks for the responceI now use a 9cap. I'm a 80 yr.who loves to build and fly on both of our summer days JULY 3+4.
lag time on the sticksnever heard of that before.rcplanman
Old 01-25-2009, 03:10 PM
sdstick06

>>lag time on the sticksnever heard of that before.rcplanman

rcplanman....

They refer to it as latency and it is rated in milliseconds. Each system has it's own specs but what you are looking for is minimum latency.... or minimum delay from stick movement to control surface movement. The only system faster the the DX7 is a Futaba 14MZ... a $2100 radio. I wondered what all the hoopla was about and doubtedd I could feel the difference.... but.... you can definately feel it. Your controls just feel more responsive. I love my DX7 and it has a lot of flexability..... 6 p mixes.... switch assignments.

Sorry if this is off topic.... just trying to share what I have learned.

Shawn D. Stickney
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
WACO Brotherhood #131
AMA 465847
KG40WC
[email protected]

"Mans second greatest thrill is flying... his first greatest thrill is landing"
Old 01-25-2009, 05:32 PM
froghair1

I currently fly the futaba 8u with the spectrum module. I like because I am familiar with the stupid programing. I did not go to fasst system because of the limits on usable recievers. Sometime I like to use a 6 chanel for putzin around. can not do that with fasst. Just mho. froghair1 waco brotherhood 127
Old 01-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Jim Henley

RC Planman, when I saw your post I had to check where you live, I thought you were here in OMAHA, The saying around here is "you'll love the spring and summer, just hope they occur on a weekend" [X(]
Old 01-25-2009, 07:53 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

RCplanman, looks like everyone else beat me to the punch. I had a long reponse explaining all the reasons why I sold the Spektrum and went with Futaba, but the G-D thing timed out and wouldn't load.

Basically I bought Spektrum because I got tired of waiting on Futaba to release its own 2.4 system. I lost a plane (1/4 scale Super Decathlon) to some kind of radio problem that I felt was related to a low voltage lockout (and I had a fully charged 4.8V NiMH 2000 mAh battery pack in the plane). Futaba came out with their system after I had equipped two planes (Super-D and the WACO) with Spektrum. I lost faith in the Spektrum, although I couldn't prove it was the problem. and decided to buy a module for the 9C I have on 72 MHz. This way I could fly all my existing 72 MHz planes and all my new 2.4 planes with one Tx and not have to try and remember the differences in Tx's . Since the Spektrum and Futaba aren't compatible, there was no point in having two 2.4 Tx's.

Bottom line is that once you have a Futaba, nothing else will do.

I agree with most of what is said above. One of my clubmates upgraded all his 1/4 scale BUSA WWI planes to Spektrum and he's had no problems. There were a couple of things I didn't care for with the Spektrum, one of which was that there was no exponential throttle curve available in the fixed wing mode. What everyone is talking about with the latency is true. Imagine driving all your life in cars with no power brakes or steering, and then getting a car with both. Latency can also be descibed as having a ton of exponential in all your planes, it takes a big stick movement to make the plane do anything, so the response seems slow. Then fly a plane with no expo and the respose seems immediate.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: khodges

RCplanman, looks like everyone else beat me to the punch. I had a long reponse explaining all the reasons why I sold the Spektrum and went with Futaba, but the G-D thing timed out and wouldn't load.

Basically I bought Spektrum because I got tired of waiting on Futaba to release its own 2.4 system. I lost a plane (1/4 scale Super Decathlon) to some kind of radio problem that I felt was related to a low voltage lockout (and I had a fully charged 4.8V NiMH 2000 mAh battery pack in the plane). Futaba came out with their system after I had equipped two planes (Super-D and the WACO) with Spektrum. I lost faith in the Spektrum, although I couldn't prove it was the problem. and decided to buy a module for the 9C I have on 72 MHz. This way I could fly all my existing 72 MHz planes and all my new 2.4 planes with one Tx and not have to try and remember the differences in Tx's . Since the Spektrum and Futaba aren't compatible, there was no point in having two 2.4 Tx's.

Bottom line is that once you have a Futaba, nothing else will do.
I used to fly Futaba, utill I learned better. Kind of like some of our unnamed Brothers who like ARF's I like my JR 9303, and 8103, and my 10X systems better. The nice thing is that I can convert them to 2.4, but I have chosen not to yet. The jury is still out on what is going to be the final system. It may not even be a 2.4 system. I'd hate to have that much more money tied up in an obsolete system. Have any of you heard anything about this?

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-25-2009, 08:32 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I am going to have to buy a new radio for my 33% as I am running lights,smoke and choke and my current radio is only 6ch.
I am trying to decide which system is best[&o] I have to say I have always flown Futaba.
Anthony
Old 01-26-2009, 02:10 AM
sdstick06

The module systems are slower because the signal has to be converted to digital from analog. The dedicated radios are all digital and give you the faster latency. The module systems are not the way to go, your better off just waiting until you can do the upgrade.

Anthony.... get a JR 9303 2.4ghz... you will LOVE it!!!!!

SDS
Brother 131
Old 01-26-2009, 06:03 AM
Stickbuilder

Resolution speed is not something that you will worry about very much when flying your Waco. If you fly something else (Heaven forbid), then you might need something faster. Let's get the thread back on track now. What has everyone done to their Waco over the weekend. I've been tweaking my servo installations and control surface deflections. I wish that I did not need a seperate servo for the tail wheel, but I do. It's about the only way to get the limited travel that is needed without going to a monkey motion linkage setup. Double bellcranks are a PITA.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-26-2009, 07:40 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill and other brothers- what servos are you using in the 1/5 scale Waco. I need to plan ahead for the two Ikon UPF-7s I have on the board.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 AM
Stickbuilder

I'm using HiTec digitals on the flight control surfaces, and a metal gear on the throttle. I think it's # HS435. I'm at work, and can't look to tell you for sure, but I think that the primary servos are HS-5475.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 01-26-2009, 08:48 AM
skylarkmk1

yel914,

Yu are going to have to give us a report on the Ikon N'West UPFs. Most of us know that they are builders kits, but maybe a more indepth report would help. Did you get the kits recently or where they something you have had stashed away for awhile . Recent reports is that getting kits from Ikon has been a bit slow to put it lightly. Thanks for any help you can give us.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

yel914,

Yu are going to have to give us a report on the Ikon N'West UPFs. Most of us know that they are builders kits, but maybe a more indepth report would help. Did you get the kits recently or where they something you have had stashed away for awhile . Recent reports is that getting kits from Ikon has been a bit slow to put it lightly. Thanks for any help you can give us.
John,

I don't know whether I would wish for him to have one of the new kits, or one of Emil's old ones. The problem with the kits that Emil offered, was that the wood varied in both weight and hardness from piece to piece. I wound up using them for templates and junking the wood that he supplied. His plans were great for the true builder but the instruction page was worse than useless. I don't know if the new Ikon kits are any better. They did end up being great flying models and the outline was on the money.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.