Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

ORIGINAL: SuperCub Man

Stickbuilder - any chance of a photo or two of your mechanism? I know you're up to your *%$ with your move and workshop relocation, but just in case you get a minute!! Not to worry though - I understand - really!!
Mine exists only on a piece of paper, and in my head. I do have the hinge assembly, and the cans for the wing and the lamp (aluminum cigar tubes) and the reflector and lens assembly. I do have the lamp which is from a small LED flashlight and it's very bright, and cool as well. I'll have less than 20 bucks in mine once it's finished (I hope).

Bill, Waco Brother #1

ps....The shop is coming along, but it's getting a new electrical service added. The building is near 80 years old, and never had any electrical power. The roof is new, from the joist plates up, and the doors are new as well. The floor is getting a cap poured to level the old concrete up, and then comes move in day. Can't wait.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:43 PM
SuperCub Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK thanks Bill. I think I've got a method figured out but it too is in my head. Always looking for ideas though!
I got a note back from Greg Miller at Waco Classic Aircraft about the paint colors for "The News" Waco ARE. He says :-
- PPG Paint - white 91049, gold 27818, green 44931
- Randolph - white Q-1916, gold B-9916, green Y 6350.
Unfortunately he didn't have that elusive Vermilion color number. Anyone got any ideas on that?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
SuperCub Man

Further to my last note, Greg Miller updated his info with - The Vermilion Red is Randolph M-9530 or also called Waco Vermilion. There is no PPG number.

So now I have the colors, all I need is a Randolph paint chart with these chips on it so I can match the colors. I'll contact Randolph to see what they can do. YEEHa!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:34 AM
WacoJoe

Just wanted to take time to say "Happy Veterans Day" to all the Veterans who may be on the forum. I hope I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate and thank you for your service.

Joe
WB #54
Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 AM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

SuperCubman, Jim, how have you enjoyed working from DARIO,S plans on your WACO? Cheers, Bill Rogers
Old 11-11-2009, 12:22 PM
SuperCub Man

ORIGINAL: RCplanman

SuperCubman, Jim, how have you enjoyed working from DARIO,S plans on your WACO? Cheers, Bill Rogers
Hi Bill - Working from Dario's plans has been a pleasure. I told him that if I had the room on my living room wall I would hang them up as "Fine Art"!! Just about every question you might encounter in the build has an answer somewhere on them. However, one must realize that they were drawn almost a quarter century ago and that materials and electronics have evolved since then. On the Skybolt I subbed 1/4" and 1/8" lite-ply for many places that he used aircraft grade ply. I saved a terrific amount of weight that way. On the Waco ARE he used two 1/4" X 3/4" spruce /basswood spars for the top wing (similar but smaller on the bottom wing). I subbed these by making a lamination of three 3/32" balsa sheets with the center sheet grain at right angles. This gave a plywood-like structure out of which I split the 3/4" spars. I enlarged the rib slots 1/32" to accomodate the thicker spar. But now I have something that Dario didn't at that time. I glued strips of Carbon Fiber ribbon on the top and bottom of each spar making them at least as strong as a spruce or basswood spar but much lighter. Dario's basic construction is very sound and I vary from it only rarely and of necessity for different equipment or newer materials. I also have his plans for the Starduster Too which I am looking at for perhaps a future project.
So in summation, I love his plans and the results with the Skybolt prove their viability. He recommends a Quadra 50 (naturally - he was Mr. Quadra USA!) I shall use a Zenoah G-62 which I have on the shelf or maybe get another DLE55 which I have on the Skybolt and absolutely love, combined with a XOAR prop. Building now. Maidening in Spring 2010!!

Cheers
Old 11-11-2009, 07:06 PM
flyinjay

bill, I would to thank everyone for their welcomes and wishes last month on my joining the brotherhood.I have been very ill for the past three weeks and could not reply back to everyone. I am doing well now and back on my feet soon I hope. Airspeed to everyone, mark, brother#145 ama 880536
Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Stickbuilder

Glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery Brother.

Bill, WACO Brother #1
Old 11-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Stickbuilder

Hmmmm,

5 days without a post. Is the interest in Waco's on the wane? Is it time to close down the thread? You guys tell me. We are getting fewer and fewer posts.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 11-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Neil K
My Feedback: (8)

NEVER lol, At least not in this house
Neil K. Waco Brother #142
Old 11-16-2009, 07:16 AM
RCplanman
My Feedback: (16)

Stickbuilder, Not in the house of WB 126
Old 11-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Jim Henley

Bill,
We're still building, just not quite as fast as we would like. I agree with the others, I would hate to see the thread close down.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:28 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I check this thread every morning, as I have for years. I'd be lost without it!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:23 AM
SuperCub Man

Hey Bill - we're either building or on the computer - can't do both!!

I'm working on the Waco ARE and I can't get a real good pix of the tail wheel, but I think it is the same as on the YMF!! John, is this the case?? I could go with a simple spring set up as shown on the plans and in previous posts, but as I haven't started the fuse yet I could plan for something else. With the G62 up front I don't think tail weight will be a problem! Still haven't got the Grimes light mechanism to work! It isn't as easy as it looks. Will have to have it figured out before I start the wing as I'm sheeting it per the full scale. Trouble is the glass lamp socket is tapered and hard to grip. Oh well - we'll get it!!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:02 AM
aminiet

I want to add my voice here to keep this forum going. It offers a wealth of information not only to the old pros as well as the new guys to the hobby.
I was going to post pictures of the forward cockpit area of mu UMF, but found out it did not match the aft cockpit time period, so it was back to the drawing board. Iam hoping it should be done shortly time permitting. When it gets done I will post pictures.

Angel
WB 58
Old 11-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Cricklewood

I would hate to see this thread ended. I follow every post on this thread and have learned an awful lot. I have two Pica Waco kits, a 1/5 and a 1/6 scale, which I plan on building after practicing on a couple of other kits (I have a lot to learn about building and want to make my mistakes on something other than the Wacos). I am hoping that this thread will still be active to be used as a reference and support when I do my builds.

Thanks,

Chris
WB #133
Old 11-16-2009, 01:48 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Bill,

All right, you woke some of us up with that…Shut it down [>:] ? Heck NO[sm=punching.gif]! I am still waiting on the chance to buy that T-shirt. I too, check in on this thread everyday. I have not been able to post here much because the stuff I have been working on only resembles a WACO in the since that they fly. Eventually I will start working on a WACO and you will be wondering how to shut me up.

How’s the new shop coming by the way?
Old 11-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Cursor
My Feedback: (17)

Howdy to all,

I have subscribed to this thread for some months a lurker. The reason is that I've been planning and am now just starting a build of the 1/4 scale Barth WACO YMF-5. There is so much good data here and this is such a good source that I would hate if it were to be blown up. I'm literally starting construction in the next several days (throat surgery on Wednesday will slow me down for a day...). I will power this bird with the Saito 325RD 5-cyl glow radial, running onboard glow. (I know that it won't go vertical forever with that power, but I have an Extra 260 and several assorted Yaks for that exercise).

If any are interested, I will undertake to photograph this build and (if I can figure out just how...) post the pics with some commentary. If we can keep it open for biz for another week, there will be new content.

I'm also interested in becoming a brother (that would be a WACO brother, in this context).

The user name tag says "Cursor", which was my first kitted F3A design. The real handle is Rick Allison, and I probably should change my user name to that as, unfortunately, I have nothing to hide. I'm an ancient (retired from competition) Pattern guy, now puttering with scale and sitting on my butt at fly-ins with the rest of the relics.

Let me know if I'm accepted as a brother, and also let me know if you guys want one more redundant WACO build thread (hey, it'll keep the dang forum alive while y'all criticize my every move and glue joint!)

If my application is rejected, please advise the size of bribe that will result in acceptance, and WACO Joe, as far as that veteran thing goes, you are certainly most welcome. I figure wearing that uniform was the last time I was a snappy dresser. [8D]

Rick Allison
AMA 6678
Team JR (Horizon)
Old 11-16-2009, 06:33 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Bill you wake up on the wrong side of Florida
I visit just about every day, I removed my subscription due to the flooding of e-mails on busy days. Nice feature they have added so you can see how many subscriptions you have and by who. 110 people subscribed is a good fair ammount.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 11-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Neil K

ORIGINAL: Cursor

Howdy to all,

I have subscribed to this thread for some months a lurker. The reason is that I've been planning and am now just starting a build of the 1/4 scale Barth WACO YMF-5. There is so much good data here and this is such a good source that I would hate if it were to be blown up. I'm literally starting construction in the next several days (throat surgery on Wednesday will slow me down for a day...). I will power this bird with the Saito 325RD 5-cyl glow radial, running onboard glow. (I know that it won't go vertical forever with that power, but I have an Extra 260 and several assorted Yaks for that exercise).

If any are interested, I will undertake to photograph this build and (if I can figure out just how...) post the pics with some commentary. If we can keep it open for biz for another week, there will be new content.

I'm also interested in becoming a brother (that would be a WACO brother, in this context).

The user name tag says ''Cursor'', which was my first kitted F3A design. The real handle is Rick Allison, and I probably should change my user name to that as, unfortunately, I have nothing to hide. I'm an ancient (retired from competition) Pattern guy, now puttering with scale and sitting on my butt at fly-ins with the rest of the relics.

Let me know if I'm accepted as a brother, and also let me know if you guys want one more redundant WACO build thread (hey, it'll keep the dang forum alive while y'all criticize my every move and glue joint!)

If my application is rejected, please advise the size of bribe that will result in acceptance, and WACO Joe, as far as that veteran thing goes, you are certainly most welcome. I figure wearing that uniform was the last time I was a snappy dresser. [8D]

Rick Allison
AMA 6678
Team JR (Horizon)
Old 11-16-2009, 06:52 PM
germrb
My Feedback: (3)

We're all still here! Four inches of winter descended on us yesterday, so it must be building season.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Neil K

I think Rick would like to join our fine Brotherhood of devoted Waco builders and enthusiasts.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Ekim
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Rick..........I don't think you've been doing too much "sitting on your butt". I see in the latest copy of Model Aviation your "finely crafted Eindecker" won best WWI aircraft in the Bell Air R/C clubs 4th annual War Birds event.

Also it's good to have another Barth 1/4 scaler I can comiserate with. This past weekend I finished framing up the last wing panel, which means I now have the "bones" of all the components assembled. I just couldn't resist the tempation to tape them all together just to see if they did indeed resemble some sort of an airplane. It's a good stopping point for me as we will be heading to Venice, FL for the winter. The WACO will be waiting for me in the spring, with many more hours of work to be done on it.

Even though this is considered a Pica WACO thread, the information and help I've received on my Barth kit goes well betond description. I would be lost if it were to go away. It's my main place for information and help. John H., Anthony, Jim, and many others have provided a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Bill, you've had many great ideas throughout this thread, but you kind of shanked one with this shutting down the thread idea. Just tee up another one , take a mulligan, and lets move on.

Here's all my Barth WACO "bones"together. I know it's pretty crude looking right now, but it looks beautiful to me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42476.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1315503  
Old 11-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Cursor
My Feedback: (17)

Hi Mike,

That "crude" WACO looks pretty darn nice to me. Wanna trade for a box of (finely organized) Barth WACO parts? You could go back and fix all the little stuff!

No?

Ah well. I may have to actually glue mine together...

Rick
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Neil K

This thread is a GODSEND, Heaps and Heaps of valued and obscure details lay within these hallowed pages. Never let it enter our minds or pass our lips to stop.
Neil Kilchriste
Waco Brother #142

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.