Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 05:33 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Bill,

If you will look at the photo's of mine, you will see that the elevators are already counterbalanced. As to the cowl and wheel pants from F/S and perhops the others, I do not like the amount of voids and pin holes that have to be dealt with. Especially those from F/S. As to the shape, as best as I recall, the full scale jobs were formed on a Buck by the time honored method of hand forming, using shot bags and forming hammers. I don't think that any two were identical. This probably was true for the cowlings as well. I do know that I can't afford to go any smaller on the cowl and still be able to keep eveything inside. This is what I need. Ideas on the next build. As to which version I want to replicate, there are more documentation photo's available for the WACO Classic, and there is one fairly close by that I could model if I wish to.

Evan,

I know that the Barth version, and the Pepino version are probably a little more efficient as to the build process. I am thinking about the cost involved, and the Building skills of the average guy who wants one. While both of the aforementioned versions build beautiful models, I think that I can enlarge the Pica, and with some modification, make it cost effective for most of us. Have you priced the Barth version? The third scale from Genesis is also a beautiful plane, but is out of reach for the average guy in here. I think that I can do this one in 1/4 scale, and have the basic parts kit come in at well under 500 bucks. even less if the guys want to cut the kit themselves. By using luan ply and some if not all of the plywood needed from sources such as Home Depot, or Lowes, we can hold the line, since the stresses on this plane will not require the more expensive Aricraft ply. I'm still kicking the idea around, but I'm thinking that this is the way I want to go. If a little scale fidelity is to be sacrificed in the name of cost efectiveness, then I can so state, and the guys who wish to compete at TOP GUN could make the required mods.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-19-2007, 03:11 PM
old git

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Jim Henley

Bill, that helps a bunch if I don't have to tear this thing apart again. I have the stock that RonJ sent so now I can replace the plastic mounts with aluminum. Then all I need is to build new interplane struts to the correct length and angle.
Thanks again to all for the help and ideas.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Stickbuilder

You guys stay with us. It ain't half over yet. I got the power tool bench in last night, and my building table is clear. One more end of the shop left to clean, and the next one starts. Lordy, I love these things. I'm going to photo everything and post a lot of pics from the opening of the box to the finish. I'm starting out by cutting the parts, and we will be posting these parts ( I have had an offer to help me with the file type, so that the size will be accurate when you guys open the file) All those who want to build one of these, now is your chance. After the parts are cut, and sanded to size, I will highlight them with something dark so that they will show up better once they have been scanned. After the parts are copied, I will begin my modifications and will be posting everything. I guess it will be a build along. One of the major changes will be to build a heavier firewall, and a tail loading fuel tank. This will mean redesigning or modifying the front formers, to get rid of the beam mounts. A couple of the formers that were of lite ply will now be form 1/4" plywood to regain the strength lost by eliminating the maple engine bearers. The landing gear will be bolted to these new heavier formers, and part of the formers will be cut away to make installing the fuel tank from the rear possible. I am going to make the firewall accessible from the wing saddle so that we will be able to service the engine mount bolts and blind or lock nuts. The main gear and tailwheel will have functioning shock absorbing springs, and should make the plane a little more user friendly on landing. Get out your trusty old Blacksmith aprons (just kidding) but we will be doing some metal work.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-19-2007, 11:33 PM
av8ter
My Feedback: (33)

To those that might be interested.

Found this on E-Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Almost-Finished-...QQcmdZViewItem

Check it out.

Looks like a nice one to pick up and finish.

Oh and this kit also..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pica-Waco-YMF-1-...QQcmdZViewItem

Waco brotherhood # 23 Newbie
Old 01-19-2007, 11:42 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This has got to be the best thread on RCU. That 1/4 scale YMF is vey, very sweet. I'd love to do one that size, or just go all out, mortgage the house, wife, and kids, and build the 40% genesis, and find a suitable 7 cyl radial for it (does Seidel make one big enough?)

At any rate, just treading water 'til the big brown truck pulls up, mine should be here this coming week, I hope. I've almost finished the dummy radial, thought I'd post a pic or two. I still have the mount to make, which will be a 1/8 ply ring that the dummy is mounted to, and the ring will fit the inside of the cowl. Note how the Zenoah cylinder fits nicely between the #4 and #5 cylinders of the radial, should get plenty of cooling. I'll pretty much close the gaps between the other cylinders, like the baffles between cylinders on the prototype. The choke arm on the carb will get extended a little, and I can access it from the front, between #5 and #6 cylinder.

The center wiring loom ring is made from 3/16 thinwall aluminum tubing, and the spark plug caps are 1/8 inch aluminum tubing. The plug wires are 12 ga. copper wire (regular Romex house wiring) with part of the insulation remaining (the black). Critique is welcome, any suggestions for improvement solicited.

Master Chief Stickbuilder-- I fully understand your aversion to "Sir". I should have known that you work for a living. What did you do while in Uncle Sam's Yacht Club?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38507.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	602025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95332.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	602026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85558.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	602027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11402.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	602028  
Old 01-20-2007, 03:24 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

You should start a new thread for the 25% scratchbuild! Leave this valuable thread to the (majority) 20% Pica.
Keep it on topic and priortize just the build. I for one will be following along saving all templates and instructions for a later project!

Old 01-20-2007, 05:20 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: khodges
Master Chief Stickbuilder-- I fully understand your aversion to "Sir". I should have known that you work for a living. What did you do while in Uncle Sam's Yacht Club?
Let's see what the majority of the membership would like to see. In addition to the larger scale version, The kit that I will be opening this weekend is also going to be built. I was planning to do this one first, and try out the changes that we have discussed on this one before I do it on the larger one.

In Uncle's Yacht Club, I was a Torpedoman. Rode the Fast Attack boats (I did make a few patrols on Boomers). You should try building on a boat the size of a fast attack. All you can accomplish while on a patrol is the framing. Water based adhesive only. Any petroleum based adhesive, would instantly wreck the air in the boat. No dopes either, so I built a lot of little bitty rubber powered models such as the old Comet kits. I would normally give the completed model to one of the crew when we got back into port. I wonder if any of them survived till now? Oh well, that was long ago and far away.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

You guys stay with us. It ain't half over yet. I got the power tool bench in last night, and my building table is clear. One more end of the shop left to clean, and the next one starts. Lordy, I love these things. I'm going to photo everything and post a lot of pics from the opening of the box to the finish. I'm starting out by cutting the parts, and we will be posting these parts ( I have had an offer to help me with the file type, so that the size will be accurate when you guys open the file) All those who want to build one of these, now is your chance. After the parts are cut, and sanded to size, I will highlight them with something dark so that they will show up better once they have been scanned. After the parts are copied, I will begin my modifications and will be posting everything. I guess it will be a build along. One of the major changes will be to build a heavier firewall, and a tail loading fuel tank. This will mean redesigning or modifying the front formers, to get rid of the beam mounts. A couple of the formers that were of lite ply will now be form 1/4" plywood to regain the strength lost by eliminating the maple engine bearers. The landing gear will be bolted to these new heavier formers, and part of the formers will be cut away to make installing the fuel tank from the rear possible. I am going to make the firewall accessible from the wing saddle so that we will be able to service the engine mount bolts and blind or lock nuts. The main gear and tailwheel will have functioning shock absorbing springs, and should make the plane a little more user friendly on landing. Get out your trusty old Blacksmith aprons (just kidding) but we will be doing some metal work.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bill, I for one will be anxiously awaiting your every move on this project. Your expertise and building experience will help me a great deal with my UBF build. All of the brothers are contributing an immense amount of valuable information and help. This is a great thread, thanks guy's.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:49 AM
flyguy888
My Feedback: (63)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lockheed Orion 9D
Bill of the Wacobrotherhood was kind enough to send me some 3 views of a favorite plane of mine. The Lockheed Orion 9D. I had scratch built this aircraft in 1/9 scale (56 inch span) from my own plans. I have never been able to find any r/c info on this aircraft. Anyone who has please let me know. I am going to start the process of drafting a new set of plans for an 1/6 scale (85" span) and am gathering any info I can. Here are some pics of the 1/9.

Name:	Fd92021.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	602355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13413.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	602356  
Old 01-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Nice, I like that. From the pics it looks like you have done an excellent job!

Bill:

In my young age I must have read too fast! My comment was just in regards to scratch building the larger YMF. If you're kit bashing a 1/5th, da** you for not starting sooner

Old 01-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

Nice, I like that. From the pics it looks like you have done an excellent job!

Bill:

In my young age I must have read too fast! My comment was just in regards to scratch building the larger YMF. If you're kit bashing a 1/5th, da** you for not starting sooner

Well, Gonna do both. But I've promised to post the parts for the fifth scale so that they can be had by all. So that comes first, and I'll blow the parts to 125% and build me a quarter scale version later. I will begin the new one this weekend. The war department has informed me that I have to attend the Birthday dinner for one of her sisters this afternoon, so it will be later this evening.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Stickbuilder

ARE YOU READY????????? ARE YOU REALLY READY??????????

Well Kids, here we go....And without further ado....Heeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrreeeesssss...WACO !!!!!

I hate to open one of these. This is, in reality probably the first time in over 30 years that these parts have seen the light of Evening. Once started, this worthy kit is lost to the ages for all time. Another one gone, another one gone, another one bites the dust. (with apologies to Queen) Oh well, that just keeps this one from becoming a dust magnet in some collector's pile. Here goes.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Name:	Ro41583.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	602752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30841.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	602753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46438.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	602754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68946.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	602755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg55768.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	602756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct17439.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	602757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mo14502.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	602758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy83615.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	602759  

Old 01-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Stickbuilder

This is a really old version, Check the production number in the photo. I have been told that this is kit number 202, since the first two numbers are the sequence numbers (or so I have been told) anyone who can dispute this, please feel free to do so. The elevator joiner is called out as being made from square stock. They changed this to a dowell pretty early in the production. I sure hope everyone is up for this.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Stickbuilder

Does anyone have a request for any parts that they need copied first? If so, please post your needs. Otherwise, I will do a logical procession starting with the wing parts. I do not intend to scan any sticks, or sheeting. Only the cut parts that are not shown on the plan. If you need the dimension for a particular stick, or sheet, so state, and I will be happy to provide them for you.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-20-2007, 09:42 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a really old version,

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
I'll say it is. The box lid says it's a YMF-3. The box looks old enough, maybe WACO hadn't even made the -5 yet. Where do you dig all these kits up?

And one other thing, Master Chief. What would Hyman Rickover say if he knew one of his nooks was playing with airplanes on one of HIS botes? PLOT! Target Zero-Two-Zero, 9000 yards. Torpedo Room, Make Ready! Mark 48, remove all safeties! FIRE!!!

(Comment from torpedo room)....."Damn! I stuck my fingers together again with Ca. SEAMAN 2nd Jones! Push that big red button for me!"............
Old 01-20-2007, 09:59 PM
EscapeFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have a request for any parts that they need copied first? If so, plese post your needs.
I could use traced copies of ribs for the top wing. I've got the same kit. Only, I started the top wing and realized I screwed up using stock parts. I intend to use the rest of the parts as diagrams only. I plan to build more of these in the future.[sm=49_49.gif]

Should I PM you to take care of exchange info?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Stickbuilder

Pretty close, but at 9K yards, we would be pretty close. I'd rather drop back 12K and punt them a SubRoc. A MK 45-D would be even more fun. A MK 17 Screamer would let them know that they were about to meet their maker. You couldn't use C/A or any other chemicals that would screw with the air quality. Scrubbers, Ion filters, burners and air bleeds won't handle these things. Aliphatic is pretty well safe. Hyman would have loved the R/C boats, but would have wanted NRC to authorize Westinghouse to make a tiny S-5-W to power them.

Yep, this is really an old one. I get them where ever I find them. Sometimes they even find me. I bought some of them from old Hobby Shops that were closing, some of them on e-bay, and a couple right here on RCU. My Daughter found one while rummaging at a Garage Sale. You gotta keep your eyes open. There are still a few out there that are not in the hands of the hoarders. If you can get your mitts on one (or more) I would reccomend doing so.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes

Does anyone have a request for any parts that they need copied first? If so, plese post your needs.
I could use traced copies of ribs for the top wing. I've got the same kit. Only, I started the top wing and realized I screwed up using stock parts. I intend to use the rest of the parts as diagrams only. I plan to build more of these in the future.[sm=49_49.gif]

Should I PM you to take care of exchange info?
Naah, no need for the exchange info. I will do the top wing parts first, and scan them to a file that will open in the correct size. These parts will be posted via a link so that anyone and everyone who wants a set can get at them. They are going to be free. Now, since the AMA plan service has the plans available, there will be no reason not to build one.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-20-2007, 11:28 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Bill,
attempting to send a pic of me
Old 01-20-2007, 11:30 PM
WacoOne
My Feedback: (3)

Stickbuilder: I would like copies of the aileron ribs and the A4 aileron leading edge. There are only two different ribs in each aileron (4- A1's & 1- A2) and are probably the same for all four ailerons. On the A4 leading edge, I'll need to know which edge has the black mark on it. I plan to do some experimenting with the corrugations.

Thanks very much for your offer on this. What you are doing is much appreciated by me and I'm sure all of the Brotherhood.

Here are a couple of pix of my current YMF. This one has been around for a while and is a little rough around the edges. Plus a rebuild from a pretty bad crash. It's still flying though!

Bill Hogue
WACO Brotherhood #21

Name:	Ig11108.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	602861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66051.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	602862  
Old 01-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a really old version, Check the production number in the photo. I have been told that this is kit number 202, since the first two numbers are the sequence numbers (or so I have been told) anyone who can dispute this, please feel free to do so. The elevator joiner is called out as being made from square stock. They changed this to a dowell pretty early in the production. I sure hope everyone is up for this.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

My kit is 80212, also a YMF-3. Whatzitmean?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:20 AM
mangolo

No serial number on my 1/5 and 1/6 laser cut, wonder how old is the big one.

Waldo
WACO Brotherhood #22
Old 01-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Michaelj2k
My kit is 80212, also a YMF-3. Whatzitmean?
Well, if what I have been told is correct, you would have kit # 212, which would have been 10 kits newer than is this one. The one just completed was kit #012. A really old one. I do know that the plans and decals for the one that was just completed were in much worse condition (yellowing) than is this one. Is it a matter of storage, or of age? How many of these did Pica cut every year? How many total were produced? I know for a fact that they changed the wing mount lugs during production. I have some with a much smaller lug (as are these) and some of the later ones are larger. Also at some point they changed the elevator joiner from a piece of square hardwood to a dowell. One thing that has not changed; the wing tip leading edge blocks. They are huge, and most of the material is carved/sanded away, as is the fuselage radius block set for the front of the fuse at the cowl junction. This is some of the hardest Balsa that I have ever come across.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Stickbuilder

Waldo,

Is your fifth scale laser cut? I've never seen one. The die crunching on this one is pretty clean. They must have just had the dies sharpened. I've seen some 60" laser cut versions, and always wanted a fifth scale cut by laser. I'll probably never get one though.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.